Uncharacteristic

Comes with the job

If Joonmyun was in some horrible dream he was having he really wanted to wake up, like right now. If this was Yifan’s idea of a joke, then he had a sick and twisted sense of humour. There was no way that had just happened, it was all a part of Joonmyun’s imagination- a nightmare surely- and any second now he was going to wake up from it.

Being driven back to his place, in his own car, by one of Yifan’s drivers however told him that this was no dream. Everything that had happened did happen; Yifan had kissed him, and he looked just as shocked as Joonmyun was at his own actions.

“Master Joonmyun we’ve arrived” the driver announces and when Joonmyun snaps out of his trance, finds himself in the parking lot of his apartment, the driver handing him over his keys

“Thank you” he mutters, taking them as both exit the car. Yifan’s driver stands there for a moment contemplating on something, he opens his mouth but shuts it again quickly with a shake of his head.

“I hope you feel well again soon Master Joonmyun. Goodnight” he says and with a nod of his head, Joonmyun makes his way towards his apartment.

For the remainder of the day Joonmyun is in total shock. He doesn’t know what to do; should he just forget it ever happened? Should he call Yifan and demand an answer to whatever the hell just happened? He doesn’t do anything to find the answers to these questions, what he does do is call into work and say that he’s not feeling well- that he probably won’t be in for a few days- and tries to wrack his head around what the hell had happened.

“Yifan you’re such an idiot… such an idiot” he mutters, tugging at his hair to try and find any reason- if there was any- as to why he went and kissed him like that. With no answers in mind he goes to bed and tries to sleep, though he spends most of the time tossing and turning. When he finally does close his eyes, he hopes he’ll wake from this nightmare.

 

 

“How come you all get to drink alcohol and I’m here drinking hot chocolate?”

“Well unlike somebody, we’re all well enough to drink”

Joonmyun wasn’t sure if he was going to go to Baekhyun’s interview with Yixing and Jongdae like he said he would. All they knew was that Joonmyun had been ‘ill’ for the past few days and they would most likely have understood completely if he wasn’t up for it. Having spent those sick days stuck inside still trying to get over the fact that Yifan had kissed him, it would do him good to get out and be distracted for a while.

“Oh come on! Not even one drink?” he tries but Jongdae shakes his head and slides the cup of hot chocolate over to him

“Nope! You’re going to drink this, get over the fact that we’re drinking alcohol and you’re not, and after this you’re gonna go home and rest” he replies making Joonmyun snort

“You sound like a mum”

“Well, someone’s gotta play the role of mum in your life” Jongdae points out as Yixing and Baekhyun join them and the informal interview begins.

“So, congratulations you two! It’s only your debut album and already it’s the biggest selling album of the year!” Baekhyun exclaims

“So far” Yixing points out “There’s still a few more months left in the year”

“Well, for a debut album it’s a pretty big achievement” Joonmyun says

“And it all comes down to our excellent team work and writing skills. We’re just too good for people to handle” Jongdae brags and though Yixing rolls his eyes, he doesn’t deny the comment.

Joonmyun’s been watching their progress since their first concert in the country, and even he’s willing to admit at just how impressed he is at how quickly Jongdae and Yixing have risen to fame. Their album quickly became the fastest selling album of the year so far, there was music show award win after win, and critics were talking of nominations from the biggest music awards for the two of them. There was no denying that the two had great chemistry together, that’s what makes them such a great duo.

“Any plans to release another album this year?” Baekhyun asks, whining when Joonmyun slaps him on the arm

“They’ve only just finished this album and already you’re asking them if they’ll be releasing more content?”

“They’re the hottest act in the country right now! Of course their fans are going to be expecting something from them!” Baekhyun exclaims

“Well, maybe there’s a Christmas album in the works” Yixing hints with a smirk

“Once we get the lyrics right in Korean and Mandarin” Jongdae adds with a sigh, indicating that, that was the only difficult part of working as a duo from two different countries.

Amidst their conversation, Yixing excuses himself when his phone begins to ring. He had wanted to ignore it and call the person back later after the interview had finished, but seeing the name of the person calling him, he couldn’t ignore this one.

“Excuse me” he says and quickly walks away to the bathroom to answer the call

“Oh God I’ve really screwed up” is the first thing Yifan says when Yixing answers the phone

“Yifan? What’s wrong?” he asks

“I’ve really, really screwed up this time Yixing” Yifan replies

“Okay, okay, let’s not start panicking straight away. Take a deep breath and then tell me what’s going on”

 

 

Joonmyun doesn’t miss the troubled expression on Yixing’s face when he re-joins the group after his phone call. Jongdae doesn’t miss it neither as not even a second after Yixing’s sat down he’s there asking him if everything is okay.

“Huh? Oh yeah! Everything’s fine. It was my mum who called me” he says and smiles to reassure the group

“Ah yes, our biggest fan by far” Jongdae reminisces “Remember all the times we’d catch her recording us in the audience when my mum couldn’t make it over to China?”

As Jongdae talks, Baekhyun is scribbling notes down beside him, proclaiming that this was going to be his best article yet! Yixing tries to laugh and joke as much as Jongdae does, tries to share Baekhyun’s excitement, but Joonmyun can see that’s something’s wrong with him. When the two make eye contact, Joonmyun goes to ask him if everything is okay, but the look Yixing sends him stops him.

At first he doesn’t know what it is about this look that stops him, but then he sees how wide Yixing’s eyes are, the frown on his face, how he looks like he wants to ask Joonmyun something but can’t with Jongdae and Baekhyun there with them. Only then it clicks; he knows. He knows about the kiss, which can only mean it wasn’t his mum who had called him previously but Yifan.

“I-I need the toilet” he says and doesn’t wait around for anyone to answer before he’s up and rushing away.

Whether he was expecting Yixing to follow him into the toilet or not Joonmyun didn’t care. What he did care about was the fact that he possibly knew about what happened between him and Yifan and was trying- but failing miserably- to not freak out.

“Okay, calm down Joonmyun” he mutters to himself, clutching the edge of the sink and letting the tap run before he splashes some cold water over his face “It’s not the end of the world. Just go explain everything to him and it’ll be fine”

He keeps chanting that to himself a few more times, taking in a deep breath in and eventually leaves the toilet to go and talk to Yixing, see how much he knows.

 

 

Returning to the table, it’s just Yixing who’s sat there. Seeing him sat there, he’s probably waiting for Joonmyun to get back and start asking him questions, maybe he deliberately sent Jongdae and Baekhyun away for this. Joonmyun begins to panic again and thinks about turning around and hiding until Jongdae and Baekhyun come back, his plans however coming to halt when Yixing looks over and sees him, shooting him a smile. Conceding defeat, Joonmyun smiles back and walks over to the table.

“No Jongdae or Baekhyun?” he asks

“They went to buy a new round of drinks” Yixing replies and the two sit there in silence. Yixing opens his mouth to say something, but Joonmyun interrupts him before he can.

“If you’re going to tell me that what Yifan did was completely out of character for him trust me, I’ve been trying to convince myself that since the day it happened”

“It is uncharacteristic of Yifan I will admit, but that’s not what I was going to say” Yixing begins and Joonmyun feels quite embarrassed about how he had spoken to him like that.  “What I will say though, is that Yifan doesn’t just do this for the hell of it. He’s not that kind of guy Joonmyun, believe me, he may act like a complete jerk to you sometimes, but there’s always a reason behind his actions… no matter how sudden and stupid they may be”

“So what, you’re telling me there’s a reason he just kissed me like that without any explanation?” Joonmyun asks as Yixing shrugs his shoulders

“He may have just done it to keep you quiet when you came over demanding answers” he replies “But if I know Yifan well enough, I know that he wouldn’t make a dickhead move like that just to shut them up”

Joonmyun wants to ask him some more questions, ask him if he really means what he said about Yifan. If he is telling the truth, then what does that mean? Did Yifan mean to kiss him? With no indication or explanation as to why? So many questions, and yet Joonmyun doesn’t get the chance to answer them because his phones begins to ring.

“It’s Minseok” he says when the contact name flashes up on the screen

“Take it, I don’t mind” Yixing replies and Joonmyun smiles at him gratefully before taking the call

“Ah Joonmyun!” Minseok exclaims “Are you well enough to come in?”

“U-uh yeah, sure, what time?” Joonmyun asks

“How about now? It’s pretty urgent and quite important” Minseok urges as Joonmyun looks around and finds Jongdae and Baekhyun still waiting to get their order

“I-I’ll see what I can do” he says and finishes the conversation before hanging up, turning to Yixing with a sigh.

“If you have to go its fine, I can tell the other two, I’m sure they’ll understand”

“Yixing you’re a saint!” Joonmyun exclaims, making the latter laugh as he gets up and shoots Yixing a final goodbye before heading out and towards his car. A last minute meeting with Minseok is bound to be an effective distraction for Joonmyun, Yixing’s words still whirl through his mind…


Okay, not the reunion or explanation chapter you were all hoping for, but come on, wouldn't it be just slightly unrealistic if Yifan went back to Joonmyun that quickl in the space of a chapter?

Oh my gosh I loved reading your comments from the previous chapter, I knew that reaction were going to be pretty "OMG WTH?" kinda way... but they were just brilliant! They put a huge smile on my face I can guarantee that!

Until the next chapter!!