First day, first job

Comes with the job

One's first day anywhere is an extremely nerve wracking experience. Joonmyun could remember how his first day of school had him crying and clinging onto his mum's leg begging her to take him home instead. His first day of final exams had brought back memories of countless of sleepless nights and the feeling that at any second before he walked into the exam hall he was going to throw up all over the place. Even his first day of university made Joonmyun feel like it was his first day of school all over again!

The feeling of starting his first day at his first job since graduating from university topped everything that had happened in Joonmyun's life so far. If successful he would be earning a huge chunk of money for himself, eventually have enough to buy himself a swanky house much bigger than the apartment he was currently living in, and he would- hopefully- be able to climb the employee ladder to a high ranking position sometime in the future. Well, that was his goal anyway. It was a dream start for Joonmyun; most people in his situation would have quite a lot of difficulty getting a job as good as this straight out of graduation, he just hoped he didn't screw it up.

"Oh I'm absolutely sure you're going to love it here Joonmyun" the company's receptionist- Sunyoung- begins as she gives Joonmyun a tour of the facility "Everybody here is so lovely and helpful I really can't see any reason for someone to dislike working here!"

Joonmyun had been in the building once before for his interview. He had a rough idea from memory where everything was, but it was nice that a friendly face was available to give him a tour to firmly plant the image in his mind.

"If anything I'm just worried about messing all of this up big time. Journalism is a huge part of news broadcasting in this country and one mistake could mean the end of my career" Joonmyun replies as they both exit the canteen and Joonmyun is taken to where he'll be working.

"You won't have to worry about messing up, our boss is a lovely man. Of course he expects high quality work from his employees, but even if there is a mistake he is not going to execute you. Trust me, this will be a breeze" Sunyoung reassures though Joonmyun still has his fears as to how his first day will go down.

Shown to his desk, Sunyoung leaves Joonmyu with the promise that everything will be fine. If not, he can always come cry to her for help and support (Joonmyun just might take her up on that offer). Left alone, Joonmyun takes a quick look around at his working environment; it's not too loud but not too quiet, the area itself is big enough to probably fit a whole lot more desks than what there is in there already, people were either at their desks or having conversations amongst one another over cups of coffee. They all looked so comfortable and at ease that Joonmyun must have stuck out like a sore thumb; how the heck was he going to fit in and prove himself worthy of being allowed to work in such a place?

"You're the new guy, aren't you?" comes a voice from behind him, making Joonmyun jump as he turns in his seat to face the owner of the voice. The owner is not that much older than him- at least Joonmyun thinks, it's hard to tell if a face as young looking as his really does belong to a man who is much older than him or not- and watches as Joonmyun recomposes himself and sits back up in his seat.

"U-uh yeah I just started here today. I'm Joonmyun"

"Luhan" the guy introduces himself before grazing his eyes up Joonmyun's body and smiles "You know, the boss has been so excited for the past week to get you here and starting"

"Oh, really?" Joonmyun asks, genuinely surprised. He hasn't seen the boss since the interview and had last spoken to him over the phone when he was told he had been offered a job at the company. Since then it had been through Sunyoung that Joonmyun found out his starting date, what time he had to be there, and what was suitable clothing that he could wear. To hear that his boss was excited to see him start even before Joonmyun had brought in a first draft of his first report was something else.

"Oh yeah! He was very impressed with your interview and couldn't wait to get you on board with the team" Luhan replies and laughs at the expression on Joonmyun's face- he's still taking time getting used to being praised so early on. "So, business and economics correspondent huh?"

"Yeah, it was really the only area I could specialise in that my parents would at least consider being okay with; they weren't exactly happy that I chose to be a journalist over the career they had chosen for me in the first place anyway" Joonmyun explains "What about you?"

"I'm one of those foreign correspondents of this place. More specifically China, Taiwan, that kind of area. Started out as a translator here, worked my way to writing articles like you are now and in a few weeks' time I should be on my way to creating news reports and finally getting myself onto the television"

That was what Joonmyun was kind of hoping for; to work hard enough and hopefully end up like Luhan with his face appearing on television, the ultimate chance to prove to his parents that he could make it and that they should have never doubted him in the first place.

"You're Kim Joonmyun, right?"

Confirming that he was indeed Joonmyun, he is handed a folder that the boss had asked to be passed forward to him. Having a look himself, Luhan whistles before laughing.

"What's so funny?" Joonmyun asks

"The fact that you haven't even been here for an hour yet and already the boss has handed you your first piece of work" Luhan explains, looking through the task at hand alongside Joonmyun who begins to internally and externally panic when he sees just how mammoth this is for a first time newbie.

"I'm doing an interview?"

Seeing how panicked he looks, Luhan decides to step in and help the guy out to try and keep him calm enough to keep the belief that he could do it without mucking up; he isn't the first person to have done this, and he most certainly won't be the last.

"Relax, the boss always does this to newbies. I remember when I first arrived I had to translate two different texts and two audios from different interviews from Mandarin to Korean" he begins "It's really not that bad; you've got example questions but I think the boss would like it if you came up with some yourself, try to be original"

"And how do you propose I do that?" Joonmyun asks

"Research. You've got at least two days until the actual interview which- if you get cracking- gives you plenty of time to get everything in order and know what you're talking about"

Luhan leaves shortly after wishing Joonmyun good luck. He makes it sound so easy and acts like nothing could go wrong yet this is what Joonmyun's worried about the most; that he'll be so nervous he'll end up doing a horrifically bad job that he's likely to get fired before even making some sort of an impact in the first place.

'Nope, relax Joonmyun, this is going to be fine. You've got this!' he thinks to himself and, after taking a deep breath in, gets started on what Luhan had suggested previously; he cracks on and begins researching.

 

 

Joonmyun arrives at the pre-arranged destination for the interview two days later on the dot. The interview is taking place at the headquarters of one of the richest and most well-known men in the country, so of course Joonmyun has to go through the very tedious process of having to check in, bring a proof of identity, and had to wait so that it could be confirmed he was indeed who he said he was and that he was indeed there for the interview.

Being told to wait outside a designated office for the interview to take place, this gives Joonmyun a quick opportunity to go through his notes and questions one last time to make sure that he is absolutely satisfied with what he has to do.

Two solid days of research was able to bring up quite a bit of information; for starters the son he was interviewing had himself just finished attending university overseas, having transferred from the top university in Korea and taking a year out. Secondly, he was known for being quite the difficult person to work with often disobeying his father and being the type who liked to party a lot.

What stuck out- and equally confused- Joonmyun the most however was the stark contrast in names between father and son. The guy he was interviewing is called Wu Yifanand that is as Chinese as anybody could get, yet his dad was none other than Choi Siwon and that was as Korean as anybody could get naming him. Joonmyun did extensive research to see whether it was a case of a foreign adoption, raising the child of a friend etc. anything was possible! Yet the earliest records he could find of Yifan was when he made his first public appearance with Siwon and his wife at seven years old and even then it looked as though the public had just come to accept that he was there and part of the family.

No matter how curious he was though, Joonmyun wasn't going to push it in the interview. He had written out a fully planned list of just what he was going to ask and kept it straight to the point so that he didn't anger the guy he was interviewing and also to keep his job; he didn't want to lose it in the span of an interview.

"Yifan will see you now"

The secretary remains stood at the entrance to the office until Joonmyun has gathered up his belongings and leaves as Joonmyun thanks her and prepares to enter the office. Feeling uncomfortable with being allowed to just barge in without making his presence known, he makes sure to knock and slowly shuts the door behind him.

The only light in the office comes from the outside, so scared was he of not wanting to do anything wrong that Joonmyun doesn't make a move to look for the light switch or ask if he could have the lights on. The room itself is quite small compared to other offices Joonmyun got the chance to have a glance in on the walk over, but nonethless the decor was still quite impressive. Right in the middle of it all amongst two sofas and table sat Wu Yifan. Joonmyun couldn't see him clearly, yet even like this he still felt completely intimidated, just how he was going to get through this interview was going to be a miracle in itself...


Hello! Welcome to the latest of my fics starring this time Krisho!

I feel like this fic is going to have a lot of different idols from the kpop world featuring at one point or another, they'll have a role to play whether big or small... it's just finding a differen job for them to do in their daily lives that's going to be the difficult part... hmm...

The next chapter is going to focus on the interview between Suho and Kris and trust me, it's going to be very enjoyable to read! (at least I think it will be anyway)

Until then!!