. IV

Expose me

Of course Baekhyun got as he wanted, like always. My father agreed my uniform was indeed too small and the thought of getting a bigger one never hit him. But since just the thought of going with EXO to their interview made me yawn, I decided to stay at the dorm and catch up on some sleep.

11 a.m. it knocked on the door and I gracefully fell out of bed to drag my feet and crack the door open. Outside Jong-joon stood and smiled, waving a bag.

“I brought breakfast,” he smiled.

I stepped away to let him enter and mumbled, “Well, technically, I’ve already eaten breakfast.”

He ignored me and but the bags on the table. Since I was kind of curious about the contents I tipped over and peeked. He had brought all my favorite things.

I smiled up at him and placed myself by the table, “thank you.”

“You’re welcome. Do you know how you can repay me? Ask your father to raise my salary…” I slapped him at the arm and he smirked, “I’m kidding. You know I’ll do anything for you.”

I started to stuff my face with all the delicious food while he kept entertain me with jokes and stories.

“Your dad wants you to become an idol,” he then said. Since I had heard it before I didn’t become so surprised. I gave him a wry smile, which pretty much said it all, and continued stuffing my face.

“He also asked you to visit him in the office, he wanted to discuss something.”

“Ah, Jong-joon, you make everything sound so serious.”

He followed me to Baekhyun’s usual room where I changed –don’t misunderstand, again. He was outside, I had closed the door, you erts- and then together we left the dorm.

Like always, a lot of fans were outside the SM building, so it was always like playing mission impossible to get in unseen. Literally impossible.

“Hey, who’s that?”

“Are you the new trainee?”

It was always the same. Those times I decided to actually enter through the main entrance.

“Can I have your autograph?” I froze when I heard the girl. I slowly turned around to face her, even though I wasn’t supposed to.

“I-I’m not an idol,” I said.

“But still,” she smiled genuinely. Jong-joon looked at me, stunned, as I wrote my name on her paper. I don’t know why, so don’t ask. Maybe I just liked the attention for once.

The girl looked at my name and frowned, “Who are you?”

“I’m just staff,” I said and retired to the building. She looked at my name again.

Kim Soo-na.

Jong-joon looked like he tried really hard to find words to form a question.

“Don’t mention it,” I said coolly, myself trying to figure out why the heck I had just given my name to a random girl. Truthfully, I had no idea.

 

I walked in to my fathers’ office and closed the door.

“Hello sugar!” he whispered, turning away the phone, and pointed at the stool in front of his desk. I took the seat as I waited for him to finish the phone call.

“No, sorry, it was my daughter,” he smiled at me as he spoke to the person on the other line, “how much do you want for the photo? No. Then I’ll rather let you leak it. Yeah. Sure. Fine. I’ll call you back.”

He hung up and sighed as he leaned back in his chair, “ 1 p.m. and I’m already having trouble,” he complained.

I tried to smile to cheer him up, “What’s it about?”

“You.”

I choked on my own spit and stared at him, “What?”

“Some photographers saw you and Baekhyun this morning when you were out eating. You’re not recognizable, but it’s pretty clear that it’s Baekhyun out with a girl,” dad begun to massage his temples.

“Can’t you say it’s Taeyeon? Or some staff?”

“Soo-na, you wore couple clothes. And no, the fans know Taeyeon good enough to see that you have nothing like her body type. And that she’s in Japan.” 

I groaned. This could blow my cover and ruin Baekhyun’s career. Some of the fans hated him when he started dating Taeyeon and I felt so sorry for him. If they find out about this, they gonna crush him.

“How much did they want for the photo?”

“Don’t worry about that, honey. We’ll deal with it. But just to be clear, are you a 100% sure you don’t want to come out to the world? Because this might be your chance to do it smoothly.”

I glared at him, “No, dad. No.”

“Not even as an idol? I mean, I could put you in a group and…”

My glare darkened, “definitely not.”

My father muttered and clicked a little on his computer, “Though, we’re going to Shanghai next week, and in that matter you don’t have a choice whether you’re coming or not.”

I groaned, but didn’t argue, “whatever.”

 

“Soo-na, I’m going to pick up TVXQ’s dry clean. Wanna accompany me?” Jong-joon asked with a glint of hope in his eyes. Since I didn’t have anything better to do I decided to go with him.

“Since when did you become their assistant?” I asked as we drove.

“Since their assistant went on vacation and the managers to China with the boys. Plus, I don’t mind.”

I snorted, “My dad gives you way to little to do. Do you actually work for your salary?”

He hit my arm and glared, “Of course I do! Don’t you know how—“

A smiled formed on my lips and stuck my tongue out, “I’m kidding. God knows all those times you’ve driven me to school and brought me breakfast, or even just went by to check up on me.”

“Those times wasn’t exactly because I was ordered to,” he mumbled under his breath.

“What?”

“Nothing. Just know that I work.”

“Of course I do.”

He rested a little in the drivers seat and glanced at me from the corner of his eye, “You know, I work so hard that your father almost decided to raise my salary,” he then tried again.

I just patted him on the arm and looked out the window, “of course you do.”

Then Baekhyun called. I looked at the screen for a while before picking up. I have to say, I love my contact picture for him.

“Yeah?”

“Yeah? Sure, throw the formalities out the window. That’s fine with me. Hello to you too,” he barked offended on the other line, “It’s nice to hear you oppa. I’ve missed you,” he then muttered. I chuckled on the inside, but didn’t give him the pleasure.

“What’s the reason for your call?” I said formally.

Jong-joon skeptically glanced at me again at the tone of my voice.

I could practically hear Baekhyun roll his eyes on the other line, “we’re at the company. Where are you, I’m hungry.”

“I’m currently on a ride with a very fine young man next to me and we’ll be gone for a while.”

Jong-joon blushed.

“Where are you going?”

“To a church, we’re going to get married.”

Now Jong-joon stared at me, still blushing, while shaking his head. I rolled my eyes at him.

God, I’m joking. Take a hint.

“Young lady, get back here now. Before I tell your father,” Baekhyun said on the other line with a firm tone. We both knew we were fooling around.

“Urg, fine then, mom. We’ll be back soon,” and so I hung up.

The thing about Jong-joon is that he is nice and fun to talk to. He is also kind of protective off me, which makes me feel safe. But God, he’s so stiff. He can’t get a joke and takes everything too seriously.

He cleared his throat, “Soo-na, you’re a pretty girl and all but I don’t think we’re ready and-“

I turned to look at him, “Jong-joon. I hope you understand that I have no intentions of marrying you. That was only a joke between Baekkie and me. Now please take me home.”

The dude loosened up and drove comfortable again, “great. Because I’m not ready to get married just yet.”

I glanced at him. What the hell does he think?

I’m 17 for ’s sake.

 

We had to make a stop at the gas station, so Jong-joon pulled over and told me to stay in the car, which I did. So there I sat and waited for him just as two girls from my class walked by.

Unfortunately, they saw me first and it was already too late to hide. They walked over to the car with evil grins on their faces.

Oh, Jong-joon, why this gas station of all?

“Well, look who we have here.”

“Yeah, isn’t it little miss not so perfect attendance.”

“Why did you skip school? To another guy?”

“Or did you just have an appointment with your psychiatrists?”

They laughed as I sunk lower down into the seat. I did not feel like dealing with this right now. What if Jong-joon came back? What would he do?

“Why aren’t you answering?”

I looked down. This way they would hopefully tire out and go away, “Where do you have the guy?”

“Is maybe he the guy of the week?” the tall one asked and pointed at a tiny dude with glasses. He actually didn’t look so bad, he just didn’t look like a model either.

I rolled my eyes, but not so they could se. They were so shallow. Just then I saw Jong-joon walking out and gulped. He could totally loose it if he heard them.

“Yah! Isn’t he some SM staff?” one of them asked and pointed at him.

. Even worse. How could they even know that?

“It is!” the other one squealed, “fast take a picture!”

Jong-joon was surprised with a flash just in front of his eyes and he looked up dumbfounded. He looked around for a bit until his eyes could focus and he saw two girls in front of him, smiling.

“Hi, you’re SM staff, right?”

God, the fangirls just get worse.

“Yeah.”

“Could you give this to Baekhyun oppa for me?” the tall one asked hopefully and gave him a piece of paper. Jong-joon took it and then shoved it in his pocket.

“Sure,” he said. Then he glanced over at me and saw my worried face. Since he wasn’t an idiot, he put one and one together and smiled at the girls, “I’ll give him this if you just jump along. There is a privacy code saying you can’t know what car I’m driving.”

The girls looked like they didn’t believe him for a second, but then they went on the fact that he’d give Baekhyun their note, so they just pealed away.

I smiled and shook my head when he entered the car, “wow, you should get a prize.”

He bowed a little, “Well, I am an SM staff after all… Dealing with fangirls was part of my training!” he paused an gave me a serious look, “I didn’t like it though. I’d much rather tell them what car I was driving, where I was going and most importantly, with whom.”

I rolled my eyes, “I’m thankful that you didn’t. Now let me see the paper.”

He reached down to his pocket and gave the small piece to me. I opened it and snorted when I saw two numbers and hearts.

‘Please call us oppa. We’re your biggest fans. I love you oppa.’

“So stereotypical. If I ‘d write a love letter, it would’ve been way more charming and cute. At least I could’ve used lines that weren’t already written like a millions of times before,” I scoffed and ripped the paper to tiny pieces, “I love you oppa. I’m your biggest fan,” I gaged, beyond annoyed. Who did they think they were? Baekhyun’s better than that, “Stupid fans. Thinking they’ve got a chance.”

Jong-joon just smiled at me, amused by my annoyance, “Are you jealous?”

I snorted and almost laughed, “What could I reasonably be jealous about? I can write him thousands of love letters if I want. And you know what? He would actually read them.”

“Then you have nothing to worry about.”

“I just want them to know that they’re nothing but fans. They aren’t anything special just because they maybe happens to look good.”

Jong-joon gave me a look, “I think you’re being unfair. It’s not their fault you’re born the daughter of Kim Young min and have all the privileges that follows. And since they can’t be anything but fans, at least let them be that. But if you really want to show them, you could just take a picture with him… Or go public with who you are.”

“Yeah, no. They’re not worth it.”

“Then you just have to deal with them being desperate fans.”

“Wow, you’re such a support.”

“Can only try,” he said with a shrug and smiled. I rolled my eyes but smiled too.

 

“Ah! Soo-na, I missed you so much!” Baekhyun cried as I stepped out of the car in the garage.

I ran to him with open arms, “I missed you too!”

Jong-joon just rolled his eyes, “You two are something special.”

We both snickered, then Baekhyun pulled me with him.

“I’m starving, come on.”

“Wait, are you done for today?”

“Yupp, totally done. So let’s go buy some food and then watch movie,” Baekhyun ordered and placed me in his car.

“Wait, Soo-na!” Jong-joon called. I turned around and blinked my eyes sweetly, “Um… Eh, it’s nothing, “he then said with a wry smile and scratched his neck.

“Okay… Come on Bacon, let’s go,” I closed the door.

“Yupp.”

 

We placed ourselves by the TV with one box each of China takeaway.

“I’ve got the last season of Project Runway,” I offered. Baekhyun only had to give me one look and the program was playing.

Somewhere in the middle of the show my mom entered the house and easily found us where we usually spend our time. She stood in the doorway for a while, watching us.

I wonder when the two of them are gonna start dating, she thought.

Then I looked up and saw her. She smiled at me and I smiled at her, “Hi mom.”

Baekhyun also disconnected his eyes from the TV and looked at her, “Hello Mrs. Kim.”

“Hi kids, are you hungry?”

We looked down at our Chinese food, “No…”

She too threw a look at the empty boxes and the corners of slightly curled up.

“Don’t stay up too late,” she begun to leave but stopped and turned around again, “Are you staying the night Baekhyun-ah?”

He threw a look at the watch and cursed, “No, I have a photo shoot tomorrow. I need to go.”

I stood up, slightly disappointed he had to leave, and followed him to the door.

“Thanks for the food,” I said, since he had paid for it, and leaned on the doorframe.

He grinned at me, “what?”

“Thanks for the food?”

Now he snickered, “Yeah, you’re welcome.”

“What? Why are you laughing?”

“It’s nothing,” he shook his head.

“Come on, tell me,” I said and hit his arm, leaving the frame.

“I always buy you food, this is the first time you say thank you. Are you ill?”

I rolled my eyes, “I’m perfectly fine.”

“You sure?” he teasingly put a hand on my forehead.

“Weren’t you leaving?” I slapped it away and gave him a dark look. He only laughed even more and walked though the door.

“BYE MRS. KIM,” he yelled and my mother yelled something back. He then looked at me, “Good night Soo-na,” he said sweetly and gave me one of those cute smiles. For a second I didn’t know how to respond. I was like frozen by the smile. He barely gave anyone that smile, let alone me.

“G-Good night,” I finally managed to stutter out. And so he smiled and walked down the stairs and left, without any care in the world, as if that smile was his usual good night-smile. I quickly closed the door and leaned back on it, trying to control my racing heart. What the heck was going on?