.XVIII

Expose me

I woke up with a knot in my stomach. How should I act around Hongbin today? Maybe I should just play it cool and just act like he does.

I had quickly pushed the thought of staying home away, because that would only be offensive and maybe affect our friendship. And I still wanted to be his friend.

Then my phone plinked.

 

From: Bernard

Good morning, sleepy head. I never got to talk to you yesterday :(  ,but I’m assuming you were busy. Maybe we can talk later today? I have something to tell you… Anyways, good luck with school and hurry up a little, ‘cause I’m guessing you’re late? Miss you.

 

I unconsciously smiled at the phone and re-read the text. I wonder what he had to tell me. Then my mom knocked on the door and I snapped out of my thoughts and hurried in to the shower.

“There’s a meeting at your school today,” mom said by the table later. My eyes widened.

“What?”

“Your teacher is having a parent-meeting, didn’t you know? I thought you kids got information about this before us.”

My eyes stayed wide as I asked her, “You’re not planning on going, right?”

She gave me a half-smile, “Of course I am, Soo-na. I’m primarily your mother and I won’t miss anything school-related just because of you.”

I opened my mouth but she didn’t give me a chance to argue, “You have no saying in this matter, honey. Luckily for you, it’s the whole school. Are you sure you’ve never got information about this?”

I though for a moment, well I had skipped class once so maybe they got information on that lesson.

“Not that I know.”

She nodded, “Alright, well, let’s go together.”

The food went down the wrong tube as I choked out, “What? Mom...!”

She suddenly got angry, “Are you serious? Young lady this is going out of hand, have you realized that? I’m driving my daughter to school today since I’m also going there on a parents meeting, it’s NOTHING unnormal with that!” I felt guilt struck me as I saw how tears begun to form in her eyes, “I’m so sorry that we are famous Soo-na and I’m sorry you had to grow up with us as parents but have we really made you feel so insecure about being who you are that you’re now so afraid to be seen with us that you’re rather not even within the closest mile to us in public? I’m so sorry we’re so crappy parents, we have really failed,” her shoulders begun to shake as she buried her face in her hands. I didn’t know what to do but her back.

“I’m sorry too, mom-“

“No, we should’ve put an end to this before it came to this point,” she said and wiped her tears, “Today you’re coming with me,” I opened my mouth again and she added, “NO ARGUE!”

I shut up. She was determined. I then ran up to my room. I didn’t bare to see the expression on her face any longer. I fixed my makeup and did my hair as I muttered to myself. It was unfair that she blamed her and dads’ parenting, I was who I was anyways.

“Are you ready, we’re leaving,” mom shouted from downstairs and I groaned. I then picked up my backpack and dragged my feet down. With a glare I passed her and went over to the car as she locked up.

 

“Are you going to stay grumpy for the rest of the ride?” she asked.

“Yes,” I retorted and she sighed.

“Look, Soo-na, we should’ve done something sooner and I’m sorry that we’ve put this on your shoulders to handle, when it was us from the beginning who should’ve put an end to it.”

“I think it’s unfair,” I said, “I’m just being myself.”

“And you’re like this for a reason! Because somewhere in the past we’ve never shown you that you’re someone worth standing out. We’ve acted like it’s ok how we’re hiding you and that’s wrong from us. So now I’m changing it.”

I groaned, “So what? You’re just going to march in to school with me in your hold and tell everyone who I am and then except it’ll be fine?”

Mom looked a little insecure with her plan suddenly, “No…” she then said… “Look Soo-na, we only want you to know that we’re proud of you. And I think it’s sad you’re not proud enough of me to tell everyone that ‘look, this is my mother and Kim Young-min’s my father and I’m happy like that’.”

Once again I felt the guilt build, I had never realized hiding myself would hurt them as well.

“Don’t take it personally—“

“HOW CAN WE NOT TAKE IT PERSONALLY?” she suddenly shirked but then collected herself in a deep breathe, “If you’re not embarrassed over us, then what is it you’re embarrassed of?”

I swallowed. It was complicated. I was so extremely proud over my parents but at the same time, they were the reason I couldn’t be myself. It was not like I was embarrassed over myself –be honest, you guys almost expected that, ‘cause I mean in how many teen-dramas do you not hear that? – because I seriously could care less about what people thought of me, I mean, I’m already bullied as it is.

She pulled over at the school parking lot with a sigh, “Get out first, we can talk about this later.”

I hesitated but jumped out, “I love you mom.”

She nodded tiredly but half-smiled, “I love you too.”

 

“It’s official now, guys,” I glanced over at the guy looking overly excited to spill his gossip, “Kim Young-mins’ daughter goes to our school. Her mother was here for the parent meeting.”

The class gasped and begun to chatter loudly. I had already figured this would come, so I just stayed calm. As long as I didn’t do anything that would seem suspicious.

“Where did she come from?” a girl asked and I realized they meant from where my mother came from.

“The parking lot. She had her daughter with her,” I froze, “but she had ran off before I realized who the mother was,” I relaxed and the boy received a few hits for not being smarter.

“Where are your parents?” someone then mockingly asked and I stiffened in my chair.

“They’re…um…-“

“What? They’re ashamed of you, aren’t they?” she went on and it was about them I felt that I had had enough. I grunted and rose from my chair. I stared into her eyes and took a step closer.

“Know what? That’s none of—“

“Sorry I’m late glass,” Mrs. Choi then entered the classroom and everyone went to take their seats, except for the girl who kept glaring into my eyes.

“Kim Soo-na? Park Haemin? Why are you both still standing?”

“Seosengnim, “ the girl gave me one last mean grin before turning to Mrs. Choi, “was Soo-nas’ parents here today?”

“Yes, they were, why?”

“Nothing,” she smirked and went to take her seat, “Please begin your lesson.”

I continued to glare at her but then let it go and let my eyes roam over the class when suddenly my eyes stopped at another girl. She looked like she was figuring out a really difficult puzzle in her brain before she looked at me with confused eyes. Then she mumbled a little to herself while frowning –is she out of her mind for real or is she just mocking me in some weird way? - . Then she jerked back a little as she looked like something went up for her and she semi-smiled. I decided to leave her alone, the girl was clearly nuts.

All the lesson I felt how the girl glanced at me and studied my every little move. When the bell finally rung I hurried out, sensing the feeling that she was going to come after me. Out in the hallway I ran into Hongbin and his eyes widened.

“Soo-na,” he let out before I grabbed his hand and ran off. Finally out on the parking lot I panted and had to wait a little to catch my breath before I could answer the question he was waiting to ask.

“I think there’s a girl stalking me,” I panted and he burst out in laughter.

“What?” he gasped for air. I frowned at him.

“Why are you laughing? It’s no fun. I’m serious, it was so creepy! All the lesson she kept staring at me after she looked like she had just been enlightened.”

He smiled again, “Maybe she’s lesbian and just realized how hot you are?”

I narrowed my eyes at him, not forgetting the day before, “No,” I then dryly said.

He just continued to smile before changing to serious, “But seriously now, are we cool?”

I gave him a long look and then nodded, “Yeah, we’re cool.”

“Buuuuut, you know, if you changes your mind~,” he smirked and I hit his arm jokingly, but yet enough to remark that I didn’t have any plans to change my mind and that he should just forget it.

“What do you have for lunch?” I asked since I realized he was holding it and was probably on his way to the cafeteria when I grabbed him. He held forward his box and I drooled a little over all the delicious stuff.

“You?” he asked and I showed him my box packed by Mary.

“How do you feel about eating here?” I asked. Call me paranoid, but I fear that if I go inside again that girl will be there waiting for me. Hongbin nodded and we found a bench to place ourselves on when Hongbins’ phone buzzed.

“Ah,” he beamed with a teasing smirk, “Someone has updated your fanpage!”

“You seriously get notifications about that?” I asked, trying to sound like I didn’t care even though I in all honesty felt kind of honored and touched. Hongbin nodded, obviously amused by it and pulled out the phone.

“Here let me see,” I said and reached over his shoulder to see.

Ohmygosh guys, I think she goes in my class. It’s confirmed today that she goes to my school, because her mother was here for a parent meeting, but then I saw the bullied girl of the school today and the pieces just slowly started to find their places. She’s friends with Park Hongbin on top of it all. What are the odds that she just happens to be friends with the second biggest entertainment company in Korea owner’s son? Oh god! I’m so excited right now and I can’t just wait to ask her. What if it’s her? That would be sooooo cool! So many people would get back for all the things they called her and what they did to her.”

“Oh my god,” I whispered, unable to close my mouth, “She’s so on to me. I almost can’t even deny it if she asks.”

“No,” Hongbin agreed, also shocked from the girls words, “All you can do is try to get her on your side then, so she won’t tell.”

I nodded in agreement before groaning out loud, “Why is this happening?”

His phone buzzed again as someone had commented the girls post.

I hope it’s not her. What kind of person are you to not help a bullied one and then hope she’s your idol so she can show everyone who’s ever bullied her? Do you realize you’re just as bad as the actual bullies if you just stay silent and watch it happen? No I hope our little fighter’s not in the same class as an like you and that she’s not bullied either. I wouldn’t be able to stand it if I were to knew she has gone through life bullied without anyone doing anything.”

Without thinking I snatched away Hongbins’ phone and quickly typed in a comment.

I agree with the comment above. She would be ashamed to call you fans if she knew no one of you would stand up for her if she was just a regular girl.”

I felt proud as I handed back the phone and Hongbin smiled sadly at me.

“I don’t like her,” I said.

“I understand that,” he responded.

“Maybe I should get an account there as well?”

“For both your sake and the poor girls commenting, trust me, you shouldn’t.”

 

“Soo-na?”

“Baekhyun!” I cheered as I finally heard his sweet voice. I heard him chuckle over the phone.

“How are you? I miss you, you know!”

“I miss you too!” I cried, “I’m fine thought, you?”

He groaned on the other line and I heard how he stretched out on the bed, “I’m tired. We’ve been doing TV shows all day, ugh, the Japanese are so intense!” he then chuckled, “But they confirmed that I have indeed nice hips.”

I laughed lightly, remembering his hot hips, “They have good taste at least! And I’ve realized that I have a fanpage!”

“What?” he gasped, “Really?”

“Yeah… But it’s more like speculations about who I am… otherwise my mother had another talk with me today while driving me to school.”

“She drove you to school? Soo-na, I’ve been away for like three days, what’s happened?”

I laughed, “There was a parents meeting at school and she forced me to go with her in her car. But no one noticed, luckily.”

I heard him humming in the background so I continued, “Anyways, you said you had something to talk to me about?”

“Yeah, but… wow… you have a fanpage! There, I’m saying people support you. It’s not just me!”

“The thing you were going to say, Baekhyun…”

“Right… So guess which group it was that worked so hard today that they got a free day tomorrow?” he asked.

“I don’t know… M, maybe?” I .

“Yah! Us, idiot! Are you free tomorrow? I have something planned!”

My heart raced and my stomach fluttered, “I guess I could spare some time for my little Baekhyunnie…”

It was silent on the other line then, “… I’m older than you.”

I chuckled, “I know, paboya! When will you be here?”

“I don’t know, around 3 p.m. maybe?”

I nodded and made a mental note, “Sure. What is it?”

“It’s a surprise!” I could literally hear him smile, because he knew I hated surprises.

I groaned, “Why are you always so mean to me?”

He just chuckled, “I really miss you,” he then said and my heart skipped a beat. His voice had dropped an octave and really made my mind go all loco.

“I’m seriously missing you too,” I cooed when I suddenly heard the phone get snatched away and Chens voice appeared.

“Hello Soo-na,” he sang and I heard Baekhyun protest in the background. I rolled my eyes with a smile and greeted back.

“Evening, Jongdae.”’

He cut right to the point, “We love hearing your voice again and all, but we’re trying really hard getting Baekhyun down to the pool and you’re kind of an obstacle at the moment. If you two want to have phone- and tell each all your deepest heart-feelings and thoughts, that’s fine by me-“

“BUT PLEASE DON’T,” I heard Kyungsoo shout from the background.

“-But I would appreciate if you did that after the bath and when all of us are asleep. Good bye, love you,” he handed the phone over to someone else before I managed to respond and I was just left laughing and blushing, glad we didn’t video-chat.

“I just want to say,” Kai’s voice appeared and I realized that this would end really awkward, “That I wouldn’t mind hearing the two of you tonight. I mean, it’s kind of hot. Not Baekhyun, ugh, the images I got there though,” he took a moment not to throw up, “But if you don’t feel like embarrass your boyfriend in front of all of us tonight, I just want to remind you that he’s coming back tomorrow and then-“

“How about that bath, guys?” I then heard Baekhyun’s voice, slightly embarrassed and irritated as he snatched back the phone, “I’m sorry Soo-na, but I think I have to go.”

“Yeah, it’s fine. Good night,” I smiled.

“Good night, se you tomorrow.”

“Yeah, see yo-,” and then Chanyeol hung up instead of him with the final, “Good night, gosh.”

I smiled to myself when suddenly the doorbell rang through the house. I surprised raised my brows due to than no one ever visited and hurried down. Both mom and dad was out, which is good because I’m guessing they would have a talk with me if they weren’t. Without looking through the spy-hole I just flung the door open.

“Sun Mo?” I surprised asked and she smiled at me while making her way inside.

“Hi!” she said, “I’m sorry for the intrusion—“ she then cut herself of when something caught her eye and she darted over to a statue.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, “How did you even know where I live?”

She was too caught up in the statue to hear me, “I love this! It’s so beautiful! Anyways,” she then turned to me, “As I said, I’m sorry for just taking you by surprise like this. I googled your address, hope you don’t mind… OMG did you know how you live close to Kim Young-min? EXO practically spent a night there the other day, do you realize how close you were?”

I have to say that she was far from the sharpest knife in the box, not realizing there was only one house in this area. But her stupidness was kind of charming, so I didn’t care.

“Speaking of EXO,” she said with a smug grin, “GUESS WHO GOT TWO TICKETS FOR THEIR CONCERT!”

I stared a little at her and her excitement, “You?” I then asked and she jumped around a little in some kind of happy-dance.

“Yeah!” she sang, “Wanna go with me?”

I was both surprised and honored she had asked me, she probably had tons of other friends who’d gladly go, “Um… I…”

“Please! Please go with me! Tell me you will!” she begged and I couldn’t possibly say no to her puppy eyes.

“Sure,” I then smiled, “Why not.” I mean, I was going to go anyways. This was just going to be the first time I paid for it.

Her face lid up and she hugged me while we jumped around in happiness. She then broke away with an asking expression, “Do you know something I’ve noticed?”

I gulped, afraid she suspected something.

“You have strangely few pictures in this house, don’t you ever take photos?”

I laughed a little rigidly, glad mom still hadn’t remembered to put the photos up since the documentary, “I guess we rarely take photos… My parents work a lot.”

She nodded slowly, “What do they do anyways?” she asked curiously.

“They… um… well, dad’s into the music industry and mom works with clothes…”

She once again nodded, “Sounds interesting. By the looks of the house I’m guessing they’re making quite the money,” she whistled to herself and looked around again. I nervously laughed, hoping she wouldn’t ask any more specific questions.

“Are you hungry?” I then asked and she nodded. I showed her to the kitchen where Mary was busy cleaning the stove.

“Miss,” she said and then let her eyes wander on to Sun Mo, “and friend.”

Sun Mo’s eyes widened as she saw there was someone working for us, “Um, hi! I’m Sun Mo,” she introduced herself. Mary smiled at her lovingly.

“It’s nice to meet you Sun Mo. Are you girls hungry? I’ll cook something for you.”

We both nodded and Mary let go of her work to cook up something delicious for us.

 


Hey guys! I'm so supersorry for the delay! It's just been an awful lot these past months and I haven't really felt like writing. I'm still very thankful some still read this and I want you to know that I love you. Hope you liked the chapter. Please comment! <3

//Moi