. I

Expose me

My regular mornings often start off with waking up by the sound of my mother’s lovely voice, followed by a knock on my door. I will quickly head over to my bathroom for a few minutes shower –which one I every day tries to break the record in time- and then with neat and happy steps skip down the stairs to enjoy my mother’s hand-made breakfast. Most of my mornings start off like this, but apparently not today.

My mother was out of town today to accompany my father in his work. Yes, my father happens to be one else than Kim Young-min, the CEO of SM entertainment. Not that anyone knows about it, I prefer to keep it a secret, due to all the fans in school. Just imagine if everyone knew, I wouldn’t get a second of peace.

So yeah, I’m not so popular in school. I’ve never really made an effort either to make any friends. All my current friends are k-pop artist, and I’m pretty happy with that.

Sure, I don’t get to see them so often in school, but whenever I’m bored I can just go and watch Super Juniors dance practice or –oh god- Baekhyun’s music lessons. I love Baekhyun’s music lessons. That however wasn’t the point. The point was that my mother –and father- was out of town, and I had forgotten to set my alarm.

Mary, our maid –or like I call her; third adult, she’s more like a extra parent to me than a maid- was only around occasionally or when dad needed help with something, and that meant she was also with my parents at the moment.

Bottom line; I was alone and late.

What woke me up was a text from no one less than Baekhyun himself.

 

From: Bernard

Hey, I assume you’re on your way to school but I know your memory capability… Anyways I just wanted to remind you that EXO’s practice for the concert is later. You promised to come.

To: Soo-Na

 

I swear, I have a good explanation for the whole Bernard thing; Baekhyun chose it. No but, due to the risk of someone in class would stealing a glimpse at my phone and see the name; I didn’t want to have their real names. Believe me, there are names much worse than Bernard.

Since I was already too late, I didn’t bother to answer Baek. He’d had to deal with it.

I tossed some bread into my mouth and swallowed it down with some juice, because like we all know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Then the doorbell just happened to ring and I rushed over and opened. Luckily it was just Lee Jong-joon, dad’s 21 year-old assistant who decided to check up on me.

“Late?” was all he asked and I nodded while running around, trying to find my bag, “You know I can drive you to school?”

I gave him a look, “what car are you driving?”

“Mercedes?”

“Exactly,” I finally found my bag, “I’ll just walk.”

“Soo-Na, I really don’t see the point in this. Why wouldn’t you just stand up for who you are?”

“I think we both know that answer very well.”

Jong-joon sighed just as the rain broke out. I quietly cursed to myself. Jong-joon rolled over his head to me and gave me a meaning look, “Come on, I’ll at least drive you half way. No one you know lives out here anyway.”

I glanced at my watch and realized it was way to much and groaned, “fine, but only because I’m late and don’t want to ruin my perfect attendance.”

“Of course,” he smiled.

It’s true; no one I know lives out here. My father is one of those people who fully use his wealth, no exception. If he has money, he’ll use them. So yeah, we have a nice, too big, mansion miles from the city where we live. I like it, ‘cause no one has the energy to bring him or herself out here to bother me. Of course we have an apartment in Seoul too, my father sometimes has to get fast to the office.

Jong-joon parked five blocks from school and I stepped out after that I had assured me that no one was there.

“Have a nice day, miss,” he smiled again before I closed the door.

“You too, thanks for the ride.”

 

To be frank, I wasn’t just unpopular, I was what the majority would call bullied. Not physically, they never touched me, they just called me things.

“Good morning, sunshine –or wait. It’s just your yellow teeth,” a girl greeted me this morning. It was actually kind of interesting to hear all the new comments they managed to make up. I wonder if they spent all their night’s googling mean names to call me.

I didn’t reply her, she didn’t care anyway. Instead I just took my seat and decided to reply Baekhyun instead.

 

To: Bernard

Of course I’ll come.

From: Soo-Na

 

Someone suddenly snatched away my phone –see, I told you it wouldn’t be smart to have their real names- and laughed.

“Bernard? Is that your boyfriend?”

Another girl looked and laughed, “Hah, who names their kid Bernard? You fit together. He’s probably even more ugly than you on top of that.”

I smirked a little because the ironic thing here was that just those two happened to claim the title: Baekhyun’s biggest fans’.

If they only knew

“What are you grinning at? You disgust me,” the girl threw me the phone.

Right then the teacher entered, “Good morning students. I have an announcement before we start.”

The class took their seats and became quiet. The teacher smirked.

“In two weeks we will get a celebrity visit here at Pyo-min high. It’s approved by- “she looked at me for approval and it hit me what was about to come. I discreetly shook my head and as the understanding teacher she was she understood that I wasn’t ready to expose myself yet, “It’s approved by the CEO of SM entertainment, Kim Young-min and the visitors will be EXO.”

The girls in my class screamed and did some hyperventilate-shake-their-hands-die-cry-thing while the boys started to brag about how they were gonna become EXO’s best friends.

Yeah, at least you can try, but they know what kind of people you are.

Yes, as my only friends I had told EXO about my situation in school. Believe me, they wanted to do something, only they couldn’t. Firstly, my father wouldn’t allow it. Secondly, I wouldn’t allow it and thirdly, it wasn’t that necessary.

“But,” the teacher –I might add that we call her Mrs. Choi- added and put a finger in the air, “we need to show them what we can do. Let’s prepare something for them.”

“You mean like a talent show?” a random student wondered.

Mrs. Choi thought for a moment, “Yeah, why not. Is that a good idea class?”

The whole class nodded, as well as I, I mean, Talent shows are always fun- as long as I don’t have to do anything.

“Then I have a condition,” Mrs. Choi said with her serious tone, “everyone has to participate.”

My mouth dropped. One reason I didn’t tell anyone who I am is of course, the private life, but I also hate attention. Just the word frightens me. I could not stand on a stage, especially not alone and I highly doubted someone wanted to do a duet with me.

“No troubles Mrs. Choi. I think everyone wants a chance to get into SM entertainment.”

The comment woke me up from my trance and I found it so silly I just couldn’t help but laugh. He really thinks dad would let someone like him in?

“What are you laughing at, freak? Think you’ve got a better shot with that voice and ugly face?”

That just made me laugh more and I wanted to tell him how stupid he was being. For one thing, they didn’t come here to select new trainees. They just wanted to promote themselves.

“Just leave her, she’s mental.”

The class flew by as I constantly worried about what to do about this whole situation. I wasn’t afraid of EXO, they had heard me sing a whole lot of times. I just didn’t want to be on the stage in front of the whole school. My self-conscious wasn’t the best. Maybe I could work behind?

Then the bell shrilled and I could hear my teacher calling my name.

“Soo-Na, I want to talk about you and who you are. I know you don’t like people pointing this out, but you are the daughter of Kim Young-min and you can’t change that.”

Second person to tell me in one day.

“I know songsengnim.”

“Why can’t we try to tell at least some people?”

“Songsengnim, I know you only wants what’s best for me, but you also have to respect my choice. I don’t keep this secret just for me, but also for my dad and the artists…”

“Soo-Na, I’m just afraid this won’t make you happy,” I mentally rolled my eyes, “you’re a teenager, which means you’re in the age where you find yourself as a person. If you keep denying who you are…”

I didn’t listen. People always told me this. My parent had this conversation with me at least once a week, and the thing is that I understood what they said. I don’t either think its oh so great to denying who you are. But it’s also much more comfortable that way.

She was finally done talking and I got too leave with an agreement that I would change. I just didn’t tell her when that would happen.

Of course I want to reveal who I am someday. But for now and the few years I have left in school, I’m rather content with being just me. Or at least half me.

That day flew by pretty fast and soon it was time to go home, or in my case, to SM entertainment.

 

“Hey Soo-Na! Came to watch our practice?” Leeteuk was the first to greet me when I entered through the backdoor. I smiled and shook my head.

“Next time!”

I then found who I was searching for, Baekhyun. He was standing in all his glory by the door leading to the garage and waved at me.

“The others are there already and manager hyung will get pissed if we don’t hurry up.”

“Why couldn’t I just have meet you there then?”

“Because, then I wouldn’t get to drive you,” Baekhyun smiled with all his charm and I have to say I enjoyed seeing that smile. He hadn’t quite been himself since Taeyeon broke up with him.

“How nice of you Bernard,” I giggled and got into one of the cars.

“So how was school today?” he asked, trying not to be so obvious.

“It was great… I only got two pens destroyed and the worst comment was actually about my hair, surprisingly, “ I saw Baekhyun flinch over my causality so I just moved on, “though, we found out some pretty shocking news. Can you believe this; EXO is actually coming to my school! It’s so exciting I might just flip-“

Baekhyun gave me that look that he got the joke.

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Because, we though it could be a surprise for you and look at you now! All excited!”

I rolled my eyes, “yeah. But the worst thing is that we’re putting up a talent show.”

“How’s that bad?”

“Because everyone has to participate and do something, and you know my stage fright.”

“Can’t you do it with someone?”

I snorted, “with who?”

He though for a moment, “I can sing with you!” he proposed like he had just cured cancer. I glared at him.

“No you can’t. You’d totally blow my cover. I mean how dorky wouldn’t it be to sing with EXO’s Byun Baekhyun? People would forever judge me.”

Baekhyun giggled, “sorry then for being such a lame human being.”

I giggled too, “You know, it was really fun watching them earlier. They though they actually would have a chance to get in to SM entertainment. Or becoming your friends.”

“Really? Wow, I’m flattered!”

I smacked him on the arm and he just laughed more. Then he pulled over and turned off the energy.

“Soo-na, can’t you just transfer school?”

I opened the door and went out while replying, “it’s only one year left now. I can get through it,” then I gave him a reassuring smile and we headed backstage.

 

It was fun as always to watch them practice. They would screw up at least forty times before it looked something like choreography again and then it came to hitting all the tones while dancing. And that did not always sound like in the music videos.

Currently I was laughing my off, because Xiumin had just fallen down over Tao while dancing to growl.

“Hey,” Jong-joon came up to me where I was sitting in the front rows. I smiled at him and he handed me a caramel frappe.

“Thanks.”

“Where are you staying tonight? Boss and Mrs. won’t be home before tomorrow and it’s getting late. Have you eaten yet?”

Some may find that hitting, but I knew he was just doing his job, which was checking up on me. I looked at my watch and cursed, “. Um, I think Imma just sleep in the apartment tonight… Do you mind taking me?”

Jong-joon shook his head, “not at all. Are you ready to leave right away?”

“Sure, let me just…” I waved at Kris for his attention and then pointed at my watch, he informed the others and all of them turned to wave at me. I waved goodbye and then signed that I would call them and left.

 

Jong-joon dropped me off outside our apartment with a bag take away KFC in hand. He asked me to take care –like he always did- and said he’d call me tomorrow. Just to clarify, we’re not dating. I would never date any of dad’s employers, but his job is not just being dads’ assistant, he also takes care of me. But to be honest, that’s something he just wants to do, it’s not really his prior task. I guess he’s gaining dad’s liking by doing so… Whatever, I’m not disturbed by it yet, so he can proceed.

“Don’t be late tomorrow,” he blinked and I grimaced at him.

“No, thanks.”

My food and me closed the door and went straight to the table, ‘cause I was starving. It only hit me then that, maybe Jong-joon was starving as well… Meh, that’s his problem.

The time was about 1.a.m when I went to bed, so the odds of sleeping in tomorrow too were pretty high.

***

My official first update. I just want to clearify, this is not a fanfic with focus on her dad and the hate for him. In this world everyone loves him and rainbows. Just be aware of what you're getting yourself into...

Thanks. ^^