Episode 63

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

제63회

 

 

 

Yesterday…

 

"Guest name is Shin Yejin, staying in Room 0802 since last Sunday. Miss Shin had been meeting up with our wedding planner for a couple of days now on behalf of her brother. Mr. Shin won our promotional contest."

He knew because he handpicked the winner himself. His story intrigues him of how the guy met his future wife when she came to the police station one day, bravely testifying against a hit-and-run. Then, he became a regular at a bakery she owns buying bread and coffee while mustering his courage to ask her out. In a way, their story resembled Seolhee and Sungkyu’s.

So, they weren’t getting married…

“Who?”

He looked up, puzzled as of his assistant’s curiosity. “You said they weren’t getting married. Who were you referring to, Director?”

He was mumbling to himself. It had been a habit since he knew Yejin, it seems she had it rubbed onto him. “No one. Carry on,” He instructed, allowing his assistant to flip to the next page as he distracted himself with the view of the deep blue sea.

It was his way of finding out on his own. Knowing Kyungsoo and his team lurking around, they will do more than just digging up her profile. Woohyun’s fingers danced on the table in a steady rhythm deep in thought.

“Mr. Lee stayed in Room 0328 until yesterday. He checked out last night and flew back to Seoul. Miss Shin is currently out,” His assistant, Secretary Han paused- looking at his wrist watch, “It seems she wanted to try the Olleh trail. The receptionist saw her leaving this morning.”

The rhythm stopped. “Alone?”

Secretary Han nodded.     

 

"Romeo is on the move, over."

 

 

= = = = = = = 

 

 

 

"Sorry, Yejin."

"I refuse." She replies immediately, sending him a hateful glare yet in a childish manner for the purpose of convincing the other caller she was offended by what he did. "You came without telling me, then you left without telling me. You didn't answer my calls or text back when we even made dinner plans. This is me ignoring you."

"I-I am really sorry. Something came up." He repeats his apology, now panicking seeing the level of consequence he had to face though his personality made him look subtle than he supposed to be.

He didn't mean to do it. He just... He knew he had to leave.

"Don't forget him just yet! Make him pay. He must treat us to an expensive dinner! I want steak- How dare you glare at your hyung?"

"It's alright, oppa." Yejin interrupts Dongwoo and Hoya, mostly hyperactive Dongwoo who got pushed away by his friend colleague. "He made up already. He got me these." The two of them- mainly Dongwoo- face Yejin again on the screen after their mini fight ended as they reacted to the bouquet of pink roses she's holding.

"Pink roses?!" The older male exclaimed happily. "Oh, Lee Hoya! You're better than I thought!" By now, Yejin got used to their brotherly antics but they are still amusing to watch.

However, Hoya got an opposite reaction instead. His eyebrows furrowed, puzzled as he asked, "Who?"

"You! This was from you, wasn't it?"

He scanned the bouquet in her hand, searching for familiarity but none. "Stop playing around. I know it was you." Yejin continues, persuading him to come clean. She knew sending flowers weren't his style yet she'd like him to note her appreciation though he wouldn't admit in person. "I didn't know my neighbor is super nice..." She sang.

"I really didn't send you any."

What the heck? He was telling the truth? Who was it then?

"Perhaps, a secret admirer?" Dongwoo's eyes lit up first. Jumping into that conclusion makes him happy, at least more than Yejin and Hoya did.

Secret admirer? Am I Jeju guys' style?

Nah. I doubt it.

"Did you meet anyone there? A guy?" Dongwoo's sudden loud, dramatic gasp even manages to surprise her through the screen. "What if it's a stalker? That's dangerous!" His words, however, bud a hunch over a recent occurrence while she was out exploring the island. Was that a stalker then? I'm not so sure...

"Yejin? Are you still there?"

"Uh, yeah." She answered, now running out of topics to resume their conversation. Oh, right. I should share the news. Yejin reasoned mentally considering the necessity and desire to get their opinions regarding the matter, perhaps a little advice?

You know when someone is about to tell you good news and bad news both at the same time?

"I met Woohyun..."

The good news...

"... and his fiancee."

...and the bad news.

"What?!"

Yeah, that.

Letting Dongwoo to take over allows him to back away from the screen, subtly reading hints of Yejin's portrayal while the topic of Nam Woohyun is up. Dongwoo represents Hoya but in more reactive way upon learning Woohyun’s comeback, what more his engagement.

He was right. The one he saw was indeed him.

Of all places, Woohyun reappeared in the hotel they were staying. That very day, he hid himself out of the latter's sight in case Yejin might have been clueless as well.

"I guess that's my cue." He took out his phone and start typing a message for Yejin.

"Are you okay?"

Not that. I've been asked that question too many times. They meant well, Yejin knew yet such caring gestures has started to bring her discomfort as she was constantly reminded of it.

Still, her answer will be  "I'm fine."

"There's one thing bugging me though," She spoke suddenly, her attention went back to the screen. "His fiancée... I think I've seen her before." She pauses again, now slowly immersing herself in deep thought.

"Is she a celebrity?" Dongwoo makes a guess, his deduction based on Woohyun's social status. Upper class members often associate themselves with those alike namely politicians, businessmen or public figures. Joohee could belong in either one.

I'm certain we met before. Joohee, other than being a natural beauty, her face triggers something in Yejin's memory. Instead, the latter shrugged.

"Oi, Shin Yejin." Dongwoo's finger clicking causes her to blink excessively, back to reality and to the other side of the call. "Don't look so down. Do you want oppas-" He suggests, pointing himself and Hoya, "-to come and help?"

"You do it yourself," Hoya got up first, out of the screen in no time. The door closes behind Dongwoo with a sound leaving the two. It seems rude but it's Hoya. He does that all the time.

"Ay, he's not letting it show but he's also upset. Don't mind him." Dongwoo brushes him off, returning to his previous enthusiasm in tempting Yejin. "Just say the word, oppa will come to your rescue!"

If this is a drama- I said if- every single thing, even the smallest thing will be capable to remind her of that one particular person. It happens- on TV- where everywhere she looked she saw him or images of him or what he did in the past or what they did in the past. Even the roses…

The roses are beginning to lose its liveliness, wilting is more evident.

Is it a sign?

Is it the sign?

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

It’s been half an hour since Dongwoo ended their video call- after an hour arguing about women and men’s preferences on travelling places of choices, Yejin deliberately brought that up as a distraction- she was once again alone in the room with nothing else to do. Actually, she was expecting Eunjin to join for a make-up session to practice for the wedding. I am not an expert in that particular field but I have to look at least decent and where is that girl?

Another ten minutes passed, the phase of curiosity turned into worry growing Yejin’s anxiety. She said she’s coming up but that was before Dongwoo rang.

Or now. The door rang, returning Yejin to reality. She jumps out of the bed- a habit- ready to scold Eunjin once she sees her-

"There you are!"

She barely had time to react when the man wrap himself around her not wanting to let her go, mumbling words Yejin had no clue of as she tries to get a grip of the whole situation. Who is this man hugging her like there’s no tomorrow?

“Um, excuse me?” She spoke, finally free of his embrace.

“You’re not my girlfriend.”

Surprised, he looks surprised as well, which is not appropriate since the one who should be clueless is Yejin.

“Yes, I am not.” Wait, he thought I am hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter