Episode 43

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N : Double update. Go back one chapter.

 

 

제43회 

 

 

 

The soft piano melody completes the romantic night, accompanying them as their body swayed along to the rhythm. He got one hand rested on her waist, her hand on his shoulder and their other hands clasped together in harmony.

As time goes by, eventually their position shifted to hugging. Now she comfortably rests on his shoulders, indulging herself in his warmth.

So far, none of them said a word but they were fine with it. The newfound peace was quite addicting.

Seolhee lifted her head so that their eyes made contact. He took notice thus breaks the silence, "Am I that handsome?"

He's over confident, but she decides to play along with it. " You're too charming. I can't take my eyes off of you."

He granted her a kiss; a long and passionate one. The world stops or slows down around them, as it seemed, and nothing beats the special moment.

It felt just right.

The smile made him wonder; what kind of dream Sungkyu had that reflected happiness on his face. Surely the source wasn't from bottles of soju he had last night or the drinking battle between him and Hyungsik. His nephew left afterwards leaving the heir fast asleep on the couch.

Mr. Baek has no need to wake him up after all. The heir stirred by himself, probably due to discomfort in an unfamiliar setting. He rubbed his eyes repeatedly as he recalled last night's event.

"How are you feeling?"

The heir delays his response, slightly overwhelmed by Mr. Baek’s hospitality since the day before, and directs his gaze anywhere but at Seolhee’s father. The elder even put on a blanket on him in addition of a pillow to avoid a stiff neck. “Sober,” It was the only reply he gave, the one that perfectly describes his current thoughts.

“Wash up and come to the kitchen. I made soup.”

Sungkyu nodded.

The bathroom became his temporary refuge. His eyes became widely open with running water splashed to his face, waking him up completely inside and out  while he stares into his own reflection.

Sungkyu is in a total mess. A sigh escaped from his lips.

He said a lot of things last night, each and every word embedded in his mind, more of letting the cat out of the bag.

There’s no doubt Hyungsik and Mr. Baek will not let it pass.

After spending a few minutes collecting himself Sungkyu walks into the kitchen to find Mr. Baek and once again Hyungsik in their seats. He greets them, trying not to look so awkward while doing it, before placing himself across Hyungsik. The latter shared the same condition as he is, both conquered by annoying headaches as they seek for cure in the warm soup.

“Last night, you weren’t so bad. I’m impressed.”

Hyungsik’s comment pause their movements. Sungkyu was the only one, to be precise. The look on his face said it and Hyungsik could not resist the amusement. Seolhee picked well. He proved himself to be worthy of her choice. Hyungsik acknowledges it.

“By the way, I am Seolhee’s cousin.” Finally, he reveals the fact adding, “But I did give Seolhee her first kiss,”

“You were kids back then.” Mr. Baek completes his nephew’s sentence casually.

They were five and seven years old, playing house every single day made their promise to marry each other when they grow up. The promise faded through time and now Hyungsik became a brother Seolhee never have.

“I can’t thank you enough.”

“Aside from my daughter, there are other people standing in your way.”

Sungkyu’s grandparents, his fiancée-to-be and related parties came into view when the news of his upcoming engagement went public. So far, he had faith in them but a relationship cannot survive with love alone. Trust, willingness to go through hardships together and sometimes sacrifice is the key element.

“Seolhee and I have a long way to go.” Sungkyu nodded in agreement. “But I’m holding on to her until the end. I promise you that, Mr. Baek.”

As people say, it isn’t over until the fat lady sings.  From now on, it was up to them.

My daughter is all grown up.

It was nine in the morning here in Kangwon.

Currently the men were pleased with their growing chemistry. None of them has yet to learn about the happenings in Seoul.

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

So that’s why he asked me that question.

The invitation landed in her hand, safely delivered by sweet boy Joohyuk. Apparently, Woohyun wasn’t able to make it today due to family business. In his case, it’s literally business. “Uh… I don’t know...” She and pretty much everyone else had seen this coming but when their prediction is coming more to life, their feeling was elevated to deeper concern about what will happen to Sungkyu and Seolhee.

“Grandfather insists you to come.” Joohyuk added in more effort to convince her. Yejin stares at the card intently where the two names were imprinted next to each other in black ink. They’re not the combination she was hoping for. “Woohyun… What did he say?”

“He’s okay with it.”

He might be fine with it but I have a problem.

“First of all, I’m not cut out for this kind of event and second…” I don’t have a dress, literally speaking. The last time Yejin owned a dress was during high school prom and the next one will be for her brother’s wedding. The party is tomorrow night.

Make t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter