Episode 17

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

제17회

 

 

It was Sungyeol's idea to drop by there. He missed Korean made coffee, or so he quoted. Coincidentally, the one he pointed out was Cafe Bloom. He only realized it a minute later upon discovering his neighbors both in the premise. “Uh, it’s Hoya,” Yejin waved at him first.

And there’s the motorbike guy.

Seolhee, whom he already acquainted with, greeted him with a smile. He remembered her being soft spoken and less talkative compared to Yejin. Out of courtesy, he returns the gesture.

Seeing them in pairs, were they on a double date?

The bell chimed. It was then Hoya notices their changing expressions. “What do you want? I’ll treat you.“ Sungyeol has yet to notice their reactions. There were two reasons.

One, his cousin had blonde hair.

“Oh wow.” Of course, who wouldn’t be shocked? But that's not the only reason.

"Lee Sungyeol..." The name smoothly came out of her lips.

Two, they knew each other.

"Shin Yejin! Baek Seolhee! Remember me?" Confirmed with a nod, Sungyeol beamed at once. Ignoring the motorbike guy, the one in the fancy suit and his own cousin, he went forward and embrace the two girls. "How long has it been? You two have grown prettier."

"You too! I mean, not pretty because you're a guy but you look handsome haha..." Yikes. I said too much. Getting flustered, Yejin quickly clears . "I mean, you look good." Briefly she exchange looks with Seolhee and read each other’s minds.

What is he doing here?

I don't know!

At the same time, the rest were left with confusion. Who is this Sungyeol guy? How did he know the girls? While questions gathered in their head, Sungkyu caught her drowning in anxiety. "I'm sorry. You are?" Woohyun already beat him to it. "Ah, my bad. I'm Lee Sungyeol. The three of us went to the same high school." So, they were schoolmates? Sungyeol has yet to grasp the whole situation. Apart from Sungkyu, Woohyun felt the same tension. He had the guts to approach Seolhee. Now it’s not just Sungkyu, there’s this guy too. “I can’t believe we’d run into each other after all these years. I’m surprised you two still remember me.” He let out his comment, which led to Yejin’s awkward laugh. How could we forget you? “Yeah. Me too.” Seolhee squealed, which she regretted much later. I sound like an idiot. She bit her lip, trying her best to hide the rushing emotions.

After all these years, he was still able to affect her.

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

“Nice place.” Sungyeol said that when he stepped into his cousin’s apartment. He threw himself on the couch, the very same spot where Yejin slept the night before. The one he tried to- No, no, no. Brush that thought away. Hoya opens the door next to his room and put Sungyeol's luggage in it.

"Do you want to eat?" He asks Sungyeol. “No, I just want to take a shower and get some sleep. Sitting in the plane for a long time is killing me. What about you?”

“I’m going out for awhile.”

That was in apartment 304. In apartment 303, the main topic is Sungyeol.

“Now what do we do?” Seolhee let out a deep sigh. After the unexpected encounter, she decided to go home early. Leaving the café under Jaehoon’s watch, she’s now at home making honey tea for her and Yejin. “Tell me the truth. Do you still have feelings for Sungyeol?”

“I don’t know myself.” She gave one mug of honey tea to Yejin while settling down next to her. The television was on, showing a drama called Reply 2007. Looking back at the year, it was the time they were still in high school. “Of course. Who wouldn’t be?” Yejin took a sip. “He was your first love.”

First love. The person stays forever in one’s memory. She remembered everything; how she patiently sat by the window every morning to wait him appear at the school gates, how she constantly peeked at him through the bookshelf in the library and watching him eat during lunch. The way he said her name made her feel so special and caused her squealing on her bed that night.

The feelings dimmed after graduation and she thought she forgot all about him. But, it seems she didn’t.

On top of it, she was not the only one.

“What about you?” It was her turn to ask Yejin. “Do you still have feelings for Sungyeol?”

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

“Hi, Hoya.” He stopped his tracks. “Going somewhere?” He turned to face Yejin. She was in knee length jeans, red hoodie sweater and sneakers. In any way, she looked nothing but plain. “Are you going to convenience store?”

I wonder how that motorbike guy fell for her.

“Is Sungyeol in? He’s staying with you, right?” She asks again.

As usual, he ignored her. He marched towards the elevator. Wait. After three steps, he retraced his path back to Yejin. The sudden movement startled her and nearly stumbled backwards in the process. “What’s up with you?”

“Me?”

“Can you not be indecisive? First it’s the motorbike guy, then me and now Sungyeol? What are you, some sort of playgirl?”

“What?” Yejin had nowhere to go. She felt the cold, hard surface of the wall on her back as she was trapped between the wall and Hoya. Never before she has seen this intense side of him. He looked so angry, so… jealous? No, not jealous. I described it wrongly. His gaze was intense. Whatever that is, the act caused her heart to race.      

“Forget it.” He huffed before walking away. Her hand goes up to her chest as her knees weakened at the spot. Hoya disappeared into the elevator, leaving her puzzled.

What was that?

“I thought I heard voices.” The door to her left opens, revealing Sungyeol popping out of the frame. “Yejin? What are you doing here?”

“Seolhee and I live next door. Didn’t Hoya tell you?”

“He didn’t. I wonder why.” He leaned against the wall, crossing his arms in amusement. Even in blonde hair, he still looks good. Not now, Yejin. “It’s okay. We’re not that close anyway.” She replied casually. They barely knew each other.  She had no reason to pry about his family members or anything related to his life. Knowing his personality, there’s no way he’d openly speak about it.

Sungyeol laughed. “Don’t worry, Yejin.” He said. “For the record, you’re the first girl he interacted with since…”

“Since?”

 

 

Hoya returns only to find Sungyeol still not asleep and lingering on the couch watching television. “Hey, cousin.” He chimed. “You didn’t tell me about Yejin living next door.”

“There’s nothing to tell.” Hoya remained nonchalant, taking off his jacket and putting away the keys. Sungyeol is chit chatter. If he let out the information, there’s no doubt he’d be next door by now. Which surprisingly, he didn’t or by what he just told him, he already did.

Sungyeol got up to sitting and fixed his eyes on his dear cousin. Still oblivious to the former’s action, Hoya went to refrigerator and poured himself a glass of milk. Other people may find it hard to read Hoya, but he can see through him. He leaned back to the couch, totally relaxed.

“Yejin was pretty famous back in the day.” He stopped drinking. Ignoring that, Sungyeol continues, “She had a knack for arts. She won a lot of competitions and the principal even asked her to paint murals on the school’s wall. I heard she’s working for a top advertising agency now. Isn’t she great?”

“Hmm,” He brought back the glass to his lips. Sungyeol focused on the television screen, but not without a smirk. “I’m surprised she’s still unattached. I haven’t told her yet but she looks way better than she used to. I’m telling you, she blossomed into a woman.” Hearing the sound of glass being put down for the second time, he turned to face Hoya. “I mean, Seolhee was pretty as always but Yejin is also cute. She had this irresistible-“

“Stop it.” He growled. The look was what he was going for. Sungyeol grinned. Bingo. “I don’t want to hear it anymore.”

“Why? Did I mention that she looks great with that Woohyun guy-“

“Talk and I’ll choke you, literally.” He clenched his teeth. In return, Sungyeol broke into laughter. “Do you know you always had that look when you’re jealous?” He openly taunted his cousin. On the other hand, Hoya does not look happy at all. “What do you mean?”

“You’re like an open book, you know that?”

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

What a surprising day. Woohyun showed up and we spent the whole day together. Sungkyu and Seolhee apparently came clean with their mutual feelings. Although she stressed that none of them confessed, well, there was the kiss. Woohyun, however, had to deal with the bad news. Poor guy. But the biggest reveal was it turned out that Sungyeol and Hoya are related.

Shocking.

Proceeding to the next day, it seems that a trip with Woohyun may have part two.

“Seriously.” Both hands went up her waist. “Tell me you’re here for Seolhee.” She pr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter