Episode 46

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

제46회 

 

 

 

The lights blinded her temporarily, forcing her to cover her eyes as the same goes for Sungkyu. It put them into a daze and confusion, not knowing who their unwanted company was.

“Sungkyu-ssi!”

“Young lady! Look over here!”

“Who is this girl? Is she your secret lover?"

“What about your engagement with Kwon Yuri? Are you calling it off?”

They’re paparazzi. It put her in absolute horror which literally numbs her five senses. Currently the only thing in her mind was activated ‘fight or flight’ mechanism. They were swarming her and Sungkyu like bees, unfortunately her sole defense was covering her face.

Just then, Yejin’s world turns dark.

“Go,”

What is happening?

“Go!”

With a light push, Yejin breached the wall of human; apparently thanks to Sungkyu lending his jacket as a shield, successfully made her escape. Half of the reporters were still on Sungkyu’s tail while the other half are going after her. Apparently a Chanel evening dress and a pair of Jimmy Choo shoes are not a very good combination for running.

I pray for not tearing this dress or break the heels so I would not have to compensate it. I beg you.

“There she is!”

She gasped loudly, getting back on her feet swiftly as her eyes frantically searching for a way out.

Left?

Right?

 Left?

She fell again. Her left shoe came off, fortunately no broken heel detected but retrieving the shoe will not be possible. The reporters are hot on their toes. Yejin panicked.      

I am not Cinderella!

She got up with all her might and went back to running.

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

This is how it should’ve been three years ago. There should’ve been tears, her tears, not his instead of a simple apology and a cold break up. That’s what he thought.

They were steady for year. Small fights here and there but major arguments were once in a blue moon.

It was her fault anyway, she was aware of that. Yuri kept her title a secret when they met. The biggest fear was the possibility of Hoya seeing her with a price tag. After all, everyone else did.

But he proved her wrong.

“Then, why?” He finally asks.

I should’ve told you. Years ago, she ended things with a lie. Today is an example of karma; she lived under the reign of her father, her engagement is an act, everyone talks behind her back and calls her a spoilt brat. Her whole life is a lie.

It was unbearable.

The pain, the memories and the aftereffects came rushing through her veins, reminding her of what she has been through. It was a reminiscence of being punished all over again.

His pride quickly gets in the way, his actions clouded by emotions. “Don’t go.” Hoya grabbedher wrist. He spun her around, pinned her to the wall and she was no match for his strength.

"Tell me,"

His determination put more weigh on her burden. She was already shaking that much that it took away her confidence.

They were innocent. They were young. They were in love.

Somewhere around the corner, the girl had become their only audience. She believed that her eyes are deceiving her yet the occuring scene convinced her otherwise. As a result, she lost her words in the process.

 

 

It was her.

The mystery girl was none other than Kwon Yuri and they were about to reunite with a kiss. Yejin quickly averted her gaze, biting her lip even harder. No, no, don't cry. You must not- Self pyschology fails miserably.

Her body was trembling, trying hard not to alert them with any sound. It felt like they were close enough to hear her movements. At times like these she cursed her habit which she attempts to self-restrain by clenching her teeth. This is karma for victimizing Hoya, Woohyun, Sungkyu and their hearts. The universe is giving a taste of her own medicine.

"Yejin!"

She does not need to lift her chin up to recognize his voice. "There you are. I found your shoe," He appears out of breath holding it in one hand.

He found out about the commotion thus went out to locate her.

They must've heard him. Yejin remained tensed, frozen in her spot with no means to match any of their gazes.

After all, she's already caught red-handed. Nothing is more humiliating than this.

"What's wrong?" Seeing her in such bizzare state put Woohyun into instant worry. Yejin refused to give him a reply, even not willing to reveal her current self. He approaches her, reaches out to her cheeks until something wet touched his fingers.

What just happened? She was about to burst into tears.

The answer lies right behind her, where two familiar figures are looking at them with pure shock.

Hoya and Yuri.

No. She caught him just in time. Her grip was desperate, pleading Woohyun not to confront them immediately. "Take me with you." Her request sounded more like a fragile whisper despite her efforts to conceal her feelings. At this point, the thought dawned upon him.

This is the real Shin Yejin.

Even with her back facing them, she can still pick up Hoya’s rushing pace behind her. He can’t see me like this. Yejin composed herself in five seconds, following a deep breath, before allowing herself faces him and Yuri. He stopped right when their eyes met and the world came into a halt.        

It was exactly like when he rescued her from the elevator.

Back then, he saw hope in her eyes. He was the reason Yejin ended up safe and sound which she was grateful for.

Today, she wanted to think that she was able to turn back the time; back to the first day they met. The day where they random strangers, who had no expectations of each other whatsoever, but the time she regarded him as a neighbor and nothing more, she wishes to return to.

“I didn’t mean to eavesdrop or anything. The reporters are chasing me, so I ran and…”

He saw the look in her eyes. 

“So… You and Yuri, huh?”

Regret leaves nothing but more regret.

“You two make a lovely couple. Cong

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter