Episode 48

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

재48회 

 

 

 

Leave or stay?

Albeit the puzzled looks from people around, Yejin's current concern is whether to entertain her curiosity regarding Seolhee and Sungkyu's ongoing conversation. No, I can't. I should respect their privacy. Eventhough I'm dying to know...

Mind your own business, Yejin. Be a good friend. Alas, she spun her heels towards the elevator and opted for the ground floor instead. The 'ping' sound gave cue to close the metal doors, temporarily putting Yejin within a confined space.

The elevator became the very place where she took off her mask. The corner of her lips and eyes both went down simultaneously as she leaned against the wall, letting out an inaudible sigh. The heavy feeling grew larger in her chest. Putting up an act is definitely tiring, she knew that by now.

Her expression changes again, traces of earlier were left behind in the elevator. "The weather looks nice today." She spoke out loud, it was true though. The clear sky paints refreshing blue color decorated with white clouds. Fresh air of spring greeted her senses, reducing the current level of anxiety of hers.

Somewhere not for from her right side, he was watching her descending the staircase quietly, his gaze fixed on every move she makes. The girl has yet to notice his presence, providing him advantage as he watches her intensely.

"Hey there, pretty."

Me? Yejin halted, looking around until she spotted him eventually. She would not recognize him if it wasn't for his motorcycle. "Woohyun?" The leather jacket sort of threw her off, who was used to seeing him in Cafe Bloom's work uniform. The latter smiled back.

"Um, Sungkyu just came for a visit so..."

"I know. I told him about Seolhee." He admits, subtly peeking at her. Their distance intrigues him to put his arms around her, inhaling the floral scent of her perfume but being someone who carries a torch for her restrains Woohyun from doing so.

"Then, what are you doing here?"

He failed to hide his smile, thanks to her enlightening naiveness. Her innocent curiosity further amuses him while he replies, "Isn't it obvious?"

I have no idea. Yejin simply shrugs in response. Woohyun let out a small laugh immediately. If she was his girl, he'd be pulling her into a kiss already. Initially he had concerns about ways to cheer her up but looks like she just turned the tables on him.

Yejin however, has yet to comprehend him reacted far from amusement. Nam Woohyun, are you mocking me? He ran his fingers ran through his hair, immersing himself in his role, opting to see this to the end. "Well, I'm dying to see the fight of the century, you and Yuri pulling each other's hairs. It'll be quite a sight. Wait, I haven't missed it, have I?"

So I can be crushed by her five-inch stilettos and humiliate myself? No, thank you. "I don't do cat fights." Even though the chances of probability exists following their personalities; Yuri's dominance over her own persistence, winning against the heiress requires a miracle. This story is about Seolhee finding true love. She’s the one who should be in a love triangle. How did I get involved in this?

This is all messed up!

 

 

 

= = = = = = = 

 

 

 

If a pin drops, they'd be able to hear it by now. Rather than tension, it is silence that put her on the edge. If only Yejin had not left. Her spontaneous wit could save her from awkwardnes, she thought.

Ironically, she had not been this nervous since the day they first met.

Sungkyu had a speech prepared in advance yet the minute he laid eyes on her, the words simply dissipate. He first places the bouquet in front of Seolhee, his way of initiating a conversation with a romantic gesture. Sunflowers are Seolhee's favorite but roses spell a message from Sungkyu.

It was that obvious. "I..."

What would she say? Seolhee had no idea. The last time they saw each other, they were arguing in tears. She was the one crying, to be exact.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He took chance of her silence. The girl dares not to meet his gaze reiterating their initial stage of relationship.

No, the old Seolhee used to be certain in her every move. The Seolhee he first met was brave enough to stand up for herself. This girl he knew, fell in love with was not afraid to reach out to him by any means, not when even his grandmother and Yuri stood in their way.

Coldness runs through him as his knees both touched the floor but it doesn't matter. "Wh-what are you doing..."

If he didn't come to Yejin, Seolhee would never run away.

If he didn't break her heart, he'd be able to come to her rescue. He'd be there when she needed him.

If he confide to his own heart, the one he gave to Seolhee, he'll never know the effect of hurting her amplifies ten times more on himself.

She caught his arms, temporarily forgetting sudden movements such as jumping out of the bed irritates her abdominal wound. Carefully, she lifts his chin up so he shall see the reflection in her eyes. "Sungkyu, don't be like this,"

The Kim Sungkyu she knew has his pride above anyone. He knows what he wants. This guy shows no weakness, only strength and goals to be accomplished. He is a go-getter. 

“Enough,” 

She not used to seeing this side of him. This is not the guy she fell in love with. “I said enough!”

Sungkyu fell to the ground with one single blow. The impulsive force felt on her knuckles was part of the after-effects, yet Seolhee had never felt better. Wriggling her hand is one way to reduce the pain as per seen on television while giving time for Sungkyu to comprehend the current situation.

His girlfriend just swung her fist on him. She literally punched him on the face.

A person in a right mind would’ve retaliated with anger. Such act was unbefitting for a lady, let alone doing that to her boyfriend but Sungkyu had expected the worse to come. He just didn’t expect that coming from Seolhee.

Seolhee stumbled back on the floor, currently feeling the adrenaline rush of her uncalled move. This idea was not so bad after all. “Woohyun got you before me. Yejin said she would also love to do it but I’d rather be the one. I should’ve done it sooner.” Her breathing regulates once more after a while having no regrets of what she just did. “Don’t expect an apology.”    

Now he remembered why he fell in love with this girl.

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

It’s been awhile.

I totally forgot how good it was to lie under the sun. It reminded her of her school days; where she and Seolhee would secretly go to the rooftop during lunch breaks and simply look at the sky. Even when her eyes closed, the rest of her senses indulged in the sound of chirping birds, gentle breeze whispering in her ears and warm sunlight on her face.

With all that, she can forget about everything else.

“Don’t fall asleep, Jini.”

Jini?

 “Stop ruining my moment, Namu. I’m having the time of my life.” She responded lightly. They were currently lying on the grass in the park with full leisure. The latter refused to obey, sneakily turning on his side so he could see her better.

Her serene expression was something new to Woohyun. This would be one of those times where he wishes to be able to kiss her on the spot. “Alright, Jini.”

He came up with the nickname out of nowhere and it sounded just right. Jini. He knew the smile on his face made him look silly as of now.

First she was Meong Jin, and then she became Jin Jin, now he calls her Jini. He has all sorts of nickname laid out at every place they went. What’s up with this guy? He took me out to Myeongdong, noraebang, the park and now this? “If you call me that one more time, I’ll-”

“You’ll what?”

This is not right. “You must’ve found out how pretty y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter