Episode 53

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

제53회 

 

 

 

Ding dong!

She raised an eyebrow, peaking at the grandfather clock sitting on the hallway before questioning, “Grandma, are we expecting someone?”

Grandma?

The old lady was nowhere to be found. I’m talking to myself. Yejin surrendered, ensuring the stove has been turned off in her absence. Cooking dinner is almost complete anyway, all that’s left is to set up the table and clear the kitchen. “Just a minute!”

Grandma must be upstairs or in the bathroom, she predicted.  She had not been informed of incoming guest, or guests, yet the amount of food kind of explained it. They usually settled for rice and side dishes packed from the restaurant.  

But sometimes we like to whip up something on our own for the pleasure of a home cooked meal, you know- and then the door opens from inside.

“Hi, Yejin.”

Either she was imagining things or he really showed up on her doorstep. It must be the first one.

She had been imaginative for the past few days, having different scenarios of him coming to her at her most time of need.  

She had been wondering why he had not called or texted in any way to reach her, to provide her company like he always did.

“What are you doing here- I mean, how did you find me?”

She’s unable to deduce why suddenly she felt like crying and getting angry at the same time. Why are my hormones acting up? Is it almost that time of month already? Yejin knew her knuckles are turning white, her silent attempt to suppress any incoming tears. It’s unnecessary. Tears are unnecessary.

Getting overwhelmed for the fact he came all the way to Busan is totally unnecessary.

“I called him.”

 

 

 

The screen blinks continuously with Yejin’s name on it. He’s uncertain, whether to pick up after days of being a clueless friend. He deserves the outcome for that.

“Yejin-”

“Tell me your name and age.” He separated the phone from his right ear; the name of the caller is still Yejin. Who’s the person on the line then? She sounded like an elder.

“Nam Woohyun, twenty five years old."

 “Answer me truthfully. Do you like my granddaughter?”

 

 

 

This is the most embarrassing day of my life. Grandma!

“What are you waiting for? The food is getting cold,” If it wasn’t for having a guest, namely Woohyun sitting next to her, Yejin would’ve already thrown a fit like a child. Yeah, I’m childish. She’s my grandmother. Is there a problem? Grandma Shin’s nonchalance and casual acting were no help either. She was proud of her ‘contribution’.

She finally solved the mystery of her ‘misplaced’ phone. Grandma did it!

“How long have you two been together?” 

There she goes. She kept closed when her friends tried to match me up with guys and now she can’t stop asking all these weird questions. Stop it, Grandma! You’re embarrassing me!

“We’ve known each other for almost a year now.” Woohyun’s manners are still intact even when Yejin sitting beside him was already on pins and needles. The elder was as gentle as her voice over the phone.

But still, this kind of conversation is uncomfortable.

Diversion of topic was the only thing Yejin could think of at this point. “What are we doing? Eat up, Woohyun. We made a lot. There’s your favorite too.”

Her grandmother would go all the way in terms of interrogation, yup, she’s interrogating and believe me. This could go on all night long.

My grandmother’s sharp senses are no joke. She married a policeman, after all. I must be really, really careful.

The long silence marks the end of interrogation. The three of them enjoyed dinner rather quietly, though each had different reasons.

One of them wishes to end the dinner quickly.

Another one was busy scripting answers in his mind.  

The last one was simply enjoying the show.

“Have you two kissed yet?”

Woohyun coughed out loud, clearly choked on his food thanks to Grandma Shin’s bluntness. There, she dropped the bomb.  Yejin acted quickly by passing him a glass of water, simultaneously patting him back to allow proper digestion. “Grandma!” Not in front of him! She attempted to stop her with a glare which looked rather immature than threatening.

“Ah, you have.” Another spoonful of rice goes into , ignoring Yejin’s rebuttal. The young lad beside her was no different, equally flustered but with better composure than her granddaughter has. He’s good looking, even more attractive with such innocence.

“I know how the youngsters do these days. Don’t worry. I’m a cool grandma.”

Just kill me.

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

Five minutes. They have been staring at each other for five minutes.

"Why? Did you think I'm pulling your leg?" She raised an eyebrow, simply unsatisfied by Sungyeol's reaction. She expected him with mental preparation and a better acting skill to not reveal it. "I'm serious. Now that I'm free from my father, I can do whatever I want."

The glass was put down on the counter, making a soft clinking sound upon contact. Not a single drop went into .

She was more sober this time, more conscious and certain of herself.

“I want to live."

He leans closer and closes the gap between them. It was a test, he's testing her. He didn't believe a word she said.

He wanted to but it could been related to rebound. He didn't want that. "You have enough drink for one night. I'll take you home." Sungyeol leans a little more but only to reach for the purse and jacket placed beside her. Money was left for Sehun, as usual; he picked up his own car keys before going up on his feet again.

Today held a lot of unpredictable things, the biggest yet came in the form of Yuri’s confession. He had known her for years, to hear the words coming out of sounded a bit exaggera

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter