Episode 38

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

제38회 

 

 

 

The sound of his motorcycle roared along the drive way announcing his arrival to those living in the mansion. The young maids came out in groups, forming two straight lines in front of the entrance door. Their excitement became more evident through the faint hushes and whispers.

"Uncle Woohyun!" His teenage nephew beamed upon seeing him before pulling him into a warm hug. He seems to grow taller than the last time he saw the boy. Joohyuk's smile though remains youthful, contradicts to their blood ties and age difference. "I told you don't call me uncle, punk. We're only six years apart. You make me look old." Woohyun responded jokingly. "Alright, hyung." The latter plays along, overwhelmed with joy of seeing him.

"You're back." The maids and butlers bowed to the master of the house, none other than President Nam himself. He greeted his uncle with a bow, not forgetting about Yuseok’s familiar daggering stares at him.

 

 

He kept their conversation short, filling them in only when necessary, knowing that Yuseok was less than entertained at his presence. Not much of a change in the majestic residence in his absence except for the lack of a woman's touch. After all, there are only men in their family. Joohyuk's mother passed away years ago.

They were absolutely clueless of his intentions, until suddenly he went down on his knees.

“I want to come back if you allow me to.”

It was an irony especially when he promised never to return.

Their reaction came as caught off guard, of course, although he had no idea to confirm his assumption. He had not lifted his chin since then, nervously waiting for the next words coming out of their mouths.

For now, the most obvious feedback would be Yuseok’s strong objection.

“You were that shameless. Of course,” His snarl came into sight directed to none other than Woohyun. Joohyuk just merely caught off guard while his uncle’s gaze was completely unreadable. All the matters now that it is his call.

“Grandfather?” Joohyuk speaks for Woohyun who was already too anxious to do so. Silence somehow found its way back into the room. He lost his courage to face the elder.

What came later was a smile, a delighted smile, carved across President Nam’s face. He had no idea until Yuseok took notice as well. “Father, you mustn’t forget what he did. He tried to steal from us.”

“I did not try to steal the company. You knew it, hyung.” Woohyun stood up to himself, today facing him unlike the same youngster three years ago. “Liar.” Yuseok hissed. “You admitted it yourself that night-“

Woohyun’s voice echoed in contrast to his well known soft spoken and thoughtful character. The frying pan in his hand transformed into a gong causing disturbance to the ones living in the mansion. He continues banging it with a ladle, dancing around as if he cares.

In the matter of minutes, everyone gathered in the main space mostly in their pajamas given that it’s way past midnight. Everyone is supposed to be asleep including Woohyun.

“What is the meaning of this? Woohyun?”

“Ah, President Nam. Were you sleeping?” He attempts greeting him with a bow although he had trouble with self balancing. Joohyuk came after, lastly joined by his father Yuseok.”You guys too? Sorry,” He mumbled rather childishly, showing off all the signs of a drunken state. President Nam took a step back to avoid the foul stench of alcohol invading his nose. “Did you drink just now? Wash up and go to sleep. We’ll talk about this in the morning.”

Woohyun resisted. “I can’t hold it anymore. I have to get it out now.” Ignoring his uncle’s negative response, Woohyun approached his uncle tipsily, stopping right before the old man, again triggering nausea in his stomach.”I have a secret to tell you. Listen carefully,” He whispered to his ears, dropping formalities in his speech. He completely forgot the presence of his uncle. A smirk birthed on his face as he says, “One day, I will take everything you have. I vow all of these will be mine and throw you to the streets.”

He failed to finish that sentence when Yuseok’s fist landed on his jaw. “You ungrateful kid!” He was nothing against his cousin, letting himself bruised by Yuseok’s powerful punches. “Say that again. I dare you to say that again! We took you in and this is what you gave us in return?”

"Enough!” Yuseok's fist paused in mid air. Both men looked at him in surprise along with fifteen years old Joohyuk. Woohyun reacted a second late, turning to his uncle with bloodied lips. President Nam surprisingly hid his anger well, or perhaps his wisdom told him not to get so agitated in old age.

“Get out of this house.”

Woohyun felt his collar released from Yuseok’s grip. He pursed his lips together, mentally reminding himself of his goal. The vendetta pretense he acted earlier faded into satisfaction for he got what he came for.

 “Thank you for saying that.”

He gave them his last bow before heading out into the cold night.  

At the end of the flashback, Woohyun remained stoic or more of self composure, showing off the changes he gone through in three years. “Are you expecting us to welcome you with open arms? Bull,” Sarcasm came out as Yuseok's reply, although the curse word came out as a surprise. His eyes said nothing but unaffected.

He came to accept things as how it is. Woohyun has matured.

“Stop it, Yuseok.”

“But Father-“

“Do you see me as an old man with no sense?” His authority dominates the whole conversation. “Do you think I wouldn’t know that it was you who chased him away?”

Even without looking, he had a feeling his older cousin might dropped his jaw in surprise. Woohyun reacted almost the same except it was his eyes that grew in size. If he knew along, why did he go along with the drama?

Woohyun had no time to dodge when Yuseok pushed him to the wall. Despite the pain throbbing in both his shoulders, he hid it well in respect to the older male. “Hyung…”

“I will say this only once.” Yuseok had no means to comfort the younger male namely his orphaned cousin. His hateful stare no longer surprises Woohyun. He gave himself away when his father asked Woohyun to come live with them.

He didn’t understand why it turned out this way. They used to be best buddies. Yuseok was the big brother he never had.

Why, of all people, come to hate him so much?

“It should’ve been me.” Yuseok finally let out his heart to none other than Woohyun. “It should’ve been me alone. I’m his son. I’ve worked hard to earn where I am now. Why would you come into the picture? Because you’re my father’s nephew?”

He found out by accident a few days later. His uncle called Yuseok in private, told him to be a good support to Woohyun and help him learn the ropes of the company after he graduates from college.

Woohyun too was chosen to be next in line.

“Leave the house. Walk away and don’t come back.” Cold and heartless. That's how he'd describe Yuseok at the moment.

Joohyuk nodded. So this is why Grandfather wants me to stay in touch with Uncle. Unlike Yuseok, President Nam never said anything at the mention of his uncle. Initially, he assumed the elder grew tired of sulking since he always has a soft spot for his Uncle Woohyun. He came to learn that his grandfather respected Woohyun's decision for the sake of their family.

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

Cold. So cold.

Tossing and turning, tangled underneath the sheets, rolling and rolling continues until her eyes open to foreign surroundings. The white ceiling, warm sunlight peeking through the brown curtains, purple blanket brushing against her skin- Blanket? Instantly her body shot up from what she realized later as the bed.

Where am I?

Another thought struck as she caught the sight of a red dress on the floor.

Wait a minute.

She wore that dress while she was out drinking with Myungsoo last night.

Is this what she thinks it is?

With a nervous heart, she carefully peeked under the sheets, praying hard, to chase the negative thoughts away. Please, please, please...

Only lingerie. She's wearing nothing but lingerie. "Don't tell me..."

“You? You’re going to help me?”

“Of course.”

“You, L aka Kim Myungsoo, Korea’s top idol star is going to help me solve my problem?” He nodded.

“Hurray!” She clapped with joy. Regardless the judging stares directed at her, Yejin celebrated the fact with a silly smile.

Yejin let out a panicked gasp. "One night stand?!" The phrase alone was enough to scare her out of daylight. My parents are going to kill me! She promised them, herself and God not to give it up until her wedding night.

Now she lost her ity to someone she barely knows and she had no memory of doing it. Yejin dreaded the thought.

Swaying in every step she makes, she did her best not to locus focus on where she was going although truth to be told, it was easier said than done. "Ah, there it is!" The door to her apartment is in sight. "Why is it so far away?"

Maybe drinking wasn't the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter