First attempt to run away

Maid for a Genius

 

I collapsed on the bed of a bedroom the maid had shown me after I had showered. I hadn’t been sleeping very well or living very well for many days. After all, being a thief wasn’t easy. Especially when you had a large price on your head. I closed my eyes and decided to take a tiny nap. It wouldn’t hurt to sleep a bit now, would it?

~~~

I opened my eyes and quickly shot up from the bed. How long had I napped? Not long, right? I looked at a nearby clock. Crap, I had napped for at least four hours!! This was not good. I took another look at the clock again. It was basically one in the morning. It was dark. Very dark. And quiet. Perfect.

I reached into my pocket for my rope to use for abseiling down the window, but to my surprise, it wasn’t there. Oh, of course. I had changed clothes. Damn that nerd. Where were my other clothes? They had most of my equipment for surviving and escaping in it. I had to look for them.

Slowly and quietly, I opened the door of the room and snuck out.

“Hey!” I heard a voice yell. “You! What do you think you’re doing?” I flinched and turned around. It was a male worker at this mansion. This was where my remarkable acting came in use. I acted shy.

“U-Um…” I stuttered. “I-I’m new here, um, when…” Damn, what was that nerd’s name again? Oh yeah. Aaron.

“When Aaron took me in, he took some of my stuff…” I continued. “Th-There’s a photo of my passed away mother in the pocket of my clothes…” I faked some tears.

“I-I was wondering…if-if I could just get that before it gets lost…” I peeked at the male worker. His voice softened.

“Alright,” He said. “I’m sorry about that. Hmm, let’s see…Master Aaron’s room is on the sixth floor. He usually keeps his guest’s things in there because his room is one of the biggest rooms.”

“Thank you!” I cried. “Thank you!”

“Oh yeah, and remember to knock before you go in,” He added. I bowed in thanks before shuffling away. That was too easy!!

After the man wasn’t in sight, I stopped. Hold it. Did…Did he just say that Aaron’s room was on the sixth floor!? And it was the biggest!? I nodded to myself. It was probably that room I first fell in and met him. Wow, I thought that was a living room or something. So rich!

The sixth floor was just below where I was. I soon got to it and found his room immediately. His room was really easy to find. It was the one of the only rooms on the sixth floor. It was very late at night. He should’ve been asleep by now.

Slowly, I opened the door of his room. It was pitch black. Didn’t matter. I could see well enough in the dark. Sort of. I had a baton-like rod that I used when I walked around. It was silver therefore it might be able to glint in this darkness. That way, I could find my things.

Then, I saw it. That glint of silver. I snuck quickly towards the glint of silver. Just as I got closer, I suddenly tripped over something and fell forward with a yelp. A light suddenly and temporarily blinded me.

“What are you doing this late at night in my bedroom?” I heard a voice say. My eyesight recovered and I saw who was speaking. Aaron. He was tucked snugly into his bed that I had tripped over and was holding a fishing rod with a silver key dangling from it. It was as if he had prepared bait for me to get and waited for me to come barging in trying to find my silver rod. Smart.

“I got lost,” I lied. “I was trying to find the toilet.”

“Oh really?” Aaron said, looking amused. “Because there was a toilet right inside your room.” I looked away. Was there?

“It doesn’t work,” I said. I turned back to him and held out my hand. “Now would you mind giving me back my clothes and equipment?”

“So you can escape?” Aaron asked. “No.” I had to think of something quick. I shook my head.

“I get paranoid when I don’t have my things with me,” I said. “I need to know that they are safe.”

“They are,” Aaron said, gesturing to one in about fifty lockers that were on one side of his room. “Your things are in one of those lockers. If you really need them, try finding them.” I scowled and stomped off to the lockers. Each of the lockers had a key hole in it. Then, I realised another reason why Aaron had tied a key to the fishing rod. It was the key to one of the lockers. And it had the number 007 on it. That was it. That was the locker with my stuff in it. I walked back to Aaron and held out my hand.

“Give me the key,” I said. Aaron swung the fishing rod to and fro playfully. The key dangled along with it.

“Come and get it,” Was all he said. I snapped. He was acting like a complete 6 year old! I made a grab for the key but Aaron swung it away just in time. I fell flat on my face onto his bed. I got up.

“Give it to me!” I demanded as I tried reaching for the key again. He swung the fishing rod away to the opposite direction. I fell on my face again. Aaron laughed.

“You child!” I yelled. “Grow up already and give the key to me!” He shook his head and grinned.

“This is fun,” He said. He then swung the key so that it was right above my head. As I tried to get it again, he moved it away quickly and I fell towards him in surprise. I landed on all fours and shut my eyes quickly.

When I opened them again, my face was very close to Aarons. Our lips were almost touching. Almost. We stared at each other for a while, lips centimetres away, until I suddenly shot up, face burning. Straight away after that, I rushed out of his room, not daring to look back. P-Perhaps it was better if I didn’t need my equipment for now.

~~~

When I had finally found my way back to my room, I shut the door quickly. Travelling homeless on the streets, I had never experienced being so close to a boy before! Nor a girl for that matter. But before, Aaron and I were almost at kissing distance! The very thought of that made my heart beat fast. I shook my head quickly. No, there was no time to think about those sort of things. I had to escape from this place, equipment or not.

I stumbled around in the darkness, trying to find something to use to escape. This room didn’t seem to have any objects that were strong and I could tie together. Except for the bed sheets. I tied them together and tested them to see if they were strong enough. They weren’t as strong as my rope but it was good enough. I opened the window of my room and carefully looked out.

The bottom seemed a long way down. I gulped and slowly let the bed sheets down, avoiding any windows. I shivered as my bare foot touched the cold walls of the mansion. I should’ve asked them for socks or something.

Silently, I made my way down the walls. I especially made sure that I wouldn’t go past Aaron’s window.

As I got to the bottom, I landed on the ground with a successful jump. Then, a torch light shone on me. Crap. I forgot about security guards.

~~

Author’s Note: They didn’t kiss. They were close, though. Kind of…

Typing two fan fictions at once, a bit tiring, but I’ll do me best! :)