115 Curtains and 100 Beds

Maid for a Genius

I blocked my eyes from the shining light as the security guard neared.

“You!” He barked. “What are you doing in the grounds this late at night!?” He frowned as he got closer. This is bad.

“You look terribly familiar,” He said. “I think I’ve seen you on the news.” I was on the news? Wow, that’s awesome. I was just that famous. I faked a wide smile.

“Am I really that famous?” I said, trying to act natural. “Well, well, well, that’s quite a surprise.” The security guard nodded.

“Yes, you look quite infamous,” He said. “Might you then be Gui Gui, the thief?” The security guard brought out hand cuffs and I gulped. There was nothing else to do.

“Mind you if you come with me?” He continued. “You’re under arrest for attempting to steal at master Aaron’s house.” I looked around for a way to run and ran left, to the back of the house where the garden was. The garden was dark. I scampered around blindly in the dark and heard the security guard getting closer. The light flashing from his torch bobbed up and down as he came running. I looked around in the dark. It was basically a dead end. What kind of garden was this anyway!? I stood, puffing and waiting for the security guard to get me. Who knows? I could escape again.

Suddenly, I felt something reach out and pull me into them. I landed softly and I saw the security guard run past where I was hiding. Wait. Where was I hiding anyway!? I turned around to see Aaron just standing there, looking around with a hand on my shoulder. I shrugged it off and backed away.

“W-What are you doing here!?” I hissed. Aaron yawned. “You make a big fuss when you try to climb down a wall you know,” He said. “First, you throw down the blankets that you use as your ropes. It goes thump, thump, thumping down. There are very heavy blankets you know, therefore, when they hit the wall, it could be heard from inside.” I opened my mouth to argue but he stopped me.

“Secondly,” He continued. “When you go down a wall, you go thump, thump, thumping down. We’re not abseiling on a cliff here; you don’t have to jump that hard.” I looked away and muttered, “Because I thought you rich people lived in houses with thick, sound-proof walls,”

“Thirdly,” Aaron said, ignoring my comment. “When you land on the grass, thump you go. Of course a security guard would spot you and recognise you. You are, of course, Gui Gui the thief.”

“I seriously didn’t think I was that infamous!” I said. “Well, I gotta admit, it’s pretty cool being on the news though.”

“Fourthly,” He continued again. “When you run around, thump, thump, thump you go again. Of course the security guard will be able to find you in the dark.”

“Hey, hey, hey,” I snapped. “Are you basically saying that I’m fat or something?” Aaron considered it.

“More or less,” He said.

“You-!” I yelled. Suddenly, there was a sound of approaching footsteps. The security guard was coming. I panicked but all Aaron did was calmly pushing a button that was on a wall next to him and the walls slid shut. I blinked. The wall slid shut!? I quickly thought back to what happened before I got pulled in. I ran to the garden, there was nothing there except a few trees, bushes and a dead end blocked by a large wall. I was standing in front of the wall. I was pulled in backwards. That must’ve been it. We were standing on the other side of the wall that was supposedly a dead end.

“Fifthly,” Aaron leaned down to me and whispered. “Your voice is loud.” I was pissed. Tonight I had made many mistakes.

“Why did you rescue me?” I hissed. “Why aren’t you in bed or something?” I didn’t need him to rescue me. Not really. He was smiling behind me. I could just tell.

“Because you have to stay here to be a maid,” He said. “Remember you stamped the contract with your fingerprint?” I didn’t want to be a maid in that crazy place. No way. It was just too embarrassing for someone like me to be seen there. I just grumbled. I’ll think of something. Just you wait.

~~~

The next day, I woke up to find myself dressed in a maid uniform. My mouth flew right open.

“W-W-What is this!!??” I shrieked. I rushed straight to the sixth floor and barged through the door of Aaron’s room. He was at his desk eating breakfast and reading the newspaper.

“YAAAAANNN!!” I yelled as I banged my fist on his desk. “What’s this!? How did I get a maid uniform on me!?” He shuffled the newspaper and looked up at me while taking a sip of his coffee.

“It’s your maid uniform of course,” He said. “I put it on you while you were sleeping.” My face turned red at that.

“W-W-What!!!??” I yelled. He laughed.

“Just kidding,” He said. “I got one of my other maids to help you put it on. It looks like it fits. How does it feel?”

“Terrible!” I shouted. “I hate it!” Aaron sighed.

“Tsk, tsk, tsk,” He said. “You signed the contract~” I growled. Even though I could rebel, I didn’t. Usually, when I made a promise to something, I kept it.

“What do you want me to do?” I mumbled. Aaron smiled.

“Well, you could start off by opening every curtain in this house and then making the beds.” He said. “There are about 115 curtains in this house and about 100 beds. Good luck!”

“Wh-What!?” I yelled. “No way! I can’t do all of that!” Aaron swivelled around on his chair.

“Oh?” He said. “So you want me to call the police and they’ll catch you in that maid uniform?” He shrugged and picked up a telephone on his desk.

“Alright.”

“NO, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT!!” I yelled. Aaron looked up and I sighed heavily.

“I-I’ll just do it now!” I replied before stomping off heavily. I didn’t have to do the ones in his room because they had already been opened. I went into the next room and knocked on the door before entering. My mouth fell open as I opened the door. Th-This room was an aquarium!! A large tank encircled the place and little fish swam around everywhere. Something in the pocket of my maid uniform suddenly buzzed and I took it out. It was a little phone sort of thing. Someone called ‘Master Aaron’ was calling. I frowned and picked up the call.

“Hello?” I said carefully.

“I forgot to tell you,” That jerk’s voice said cheerfully. “In the aquarium, there are curtains behind the fish tanks. Some fish need sunlight, some fish don’t. So you have to open the curtain for the fish in tank one, three, five and seven. Don’t open the rest.”

“This is stupid,” I said into the phone. “Why do you own this many fish!?”

“Simple,” Aaron answered before hanging up. “So then we can eat some if we are out of food.” I snapped the phone shut and looked around the room. Four curtains I had to open in this room. If I opened them, I only had 111 more curtains to go. I sighed. This was going to be hard.

~~

Authors Note: One hundred and fifteen curtains. One hundred beds. Yup, that’s how rich Aaron in this story just is. Since he’s a prodigy and he’s famous for being a prodigy, he’s got quite a lot of money. Oh and Aaron keeps contacts with the maids with a single mobile phone. The maids are all over the gigantic house, it’s tiring trying to find them all so he just calls them. They try to stay on the phone really long with him because some of these maids like him. Okay, maybe many do. But their love doesn’t seem to reach Aaron. :) Poor souls.