A Big Secret

Maid for a Genius

(Gui Gui’s POV:)

I opened my eyes and the first thing I saw was Aaron. I blinked. His face was about two inches from mine.

“Good morning,” He greeted. I shrieked and jumped backwards. A blanket fell from my shoulders and onto the chair that I was sitting on. I frowned. A blanket? Where did that come from?

“You’ve got guts,” Aaron said. “Sleeping in a room all by yourself with a guy.” I turned red.

“It-It-It-It-It’s not my fault that you were all sick and stuff!” I yelled. Oh wait. It was. Aaron chuckled to himself.

“Anyhow,” He said. “I’d like to thank you for helping me while I was sick. Though I’d like to ask…how did you get me to eat the medicine? Da Pei says that I tend to toss and turn when having a fever.” My face was burning and didn’t cool down.

“I-I-I-I managed,” I stuttered, thinking back of how I transferred the medicine to him, mouth to mouth. He studied me for a long time. Uncomfortable that his eyes were on me, I jerked backwards.

“Wh-What are you looking at? Sh-Sheesh,” I stammered, trying to act natural. He was smart. He might be able to figure out what happened if I acted too suspicious.

He smirked. Ugh. That face gave me a bad feeling.

“You must’ve done something very special,” He said, a hint of amusement in his voice.

“Y-Yeah!” I squeaked back. “Like slap your face and get you to eat down the pill!” He must’ve seen through me because he smirked again and suddenly moved closer. I jerked back again.

“Wh-What are you doing?” I said.

“Did you maybe do…this?” He said, moving closer. And closer. Our faces were ten centimetres apart…then five centimetres…then two centimetres…then seven millimetres…His lips were so close to mine…I suddenly jerked back again.

“I-I need to get back to looking after X-Xiao Yu!” I stuttered, aware of how red my face was. “Y-You’d better look after yourself in the future!” I hurried over to his door and caught a glimpse of him smiling in amusement. I slammed the door shut. Jerk! What was he trying to do??

~~~

I stared at the door of Xiao Yu’s room. Ugh. Now I’ve got to look after this jerk. My hand hovered towards the doorknob and I was about to open the door until Mei Mei suddenly burst out and bowled me over.

“G-Gui!!” She whispered, looking panicked. I gripped her shoulders.

“What happened, Mei?” I asked. “Are you okay? That jerk didn’t do anything to you, did he?” Mei Mei shook her head.

“N-No,” She whispered. “It-It’s just…my heart just can’t stop beating fast! Wh-What do I do??” Tears started falling out of her eyes. I stared.

“Wh-What!?” I said. “Who do you mean??” I opened the door a crack to see Xiao Yu and only Xiao Yu sitting in his room, eating breakfast. I closed the door again.

“You can’t be serious.”

“I-I can’t help it!!”

“You’d better tell me everything.”

~~~

“It-It all started when I first came here to work when I was about eleven,” Mei Mei said as we both walked down the long hallways. “Young master Xiao Yu came to stay again.”

“Mei,” I interrupted. “You don’t have to call these people ‘young master’ and stuff.”

“Ah!” Mei Mei said with determine. “But-But it’s a way of showing respect and showing that they are higher and-“

Poor kid.

“Don’t worry, don’t worry,” I said, waving my hand. “I understand.” Mei Mei cleared .

“A-Anyway, he came to stay and all the other maids left me to look after him because I was the youngest and I was bullied a lot,” She continued. “He probably had the same attitude as he has now.”

Well, that was not surprising.

“But then,” Mei Mei said, breathing in. “One day, I walked past one of the music rooms in this house, carrying a tray of tea for Da Pei jie and I heard a piano being played. And…when I gazed in through the door, I saw the young master Xiao Yu there, playing the piano. He looked so gentle, like a little lamb.” She giggled to herself. Me? I didn’t really believe it.

Him? As gentle as a lamb? That was like someone telling me that Aaron was as gentle as a lamb. I groaned.

“Wh-What??” Mei Mei protested. “I-I’ve got my own fantasies!!”

“But…” I said. “What did you like about him?” She frowned at me.

“Gui Gui, don’t you know anything about love?” She said. No, actually, I’ve been living on the streets for most of my life so, no. I didn’t respond.

“I actually think…” Mei Mei said. “Young master Xiao Yu is a kind person deep down. That’s what I thought when I saw him playing the piano. Ever so gentle, ever so delicately. M-Maybe…Something bad always happens to him at home which makes him cold towards everyone.”

“Is that so…?” I said. I understood a bit of why Mei Mei liked Xiao Yu now. Mei Mei clapped her hands together, finishing off her story and then looked at me.

“Do you have anyone you like, Gui?” She asked. I thought for a moment.

“Does liking include kissing?” I asked. She thought for a moment as well.

“I-I guess,” She said. “If it was on purpose and not by accident.” I turned away quickly, flushing red.

When Aaron was in a fever, he had kind of kissed me. Wh-What did that mean then!?

~~~

“Oh, so now you’re back?” Aaron said when I entered his bedroom sheepishly. He was now at his desk, working away at who knew what.

“I need something to do,” I said dryly. “Xiao Yu is being looked after by Mei Mei.” Aaron straightened the paperwork he was doing. I frowned.

“Why do you always have so much paperwork?” I asked. “It’s not like you’re a business man or something.” He shook his head.

“Maths questions and brain busters,” He said. “I’m just doing it for fun.” I snapped.

“S-So…For the past few weeks I’ve been here, you haven’t done any business stuff!?” I said.

“Pretty much, yeah,” He replied. Oh gosh.

“Do you think you can figure these out?” He said holding up a sheet full of unreadable math questions. I walked over to his desk and craned my neck to look at it. He pulled me down to sit on the same chair he was sitting on. Trying to focus on the paper and not turning beet red, I stared hard at the paper.

“Um…actually…”

“You were never educated, right?”

“…Yeah…”

“Alright, well since I have free time right now, why don’t I teach you something?”

“Wh-What!? Are you calling me stupid!?”

“No, I’m educating you.”

“….A-Alright….”

~~

Author’s Note: So there it is. There is the big secret. (Not really BIG, but you get the point). Oh and by the way, I’m uploading another one shot soon. It’s called My Girly Guy. Hope you guys can check it out. :)