First Move

Being Yours
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Your legs felt heavy as you dragged yourself to the office. It dawned on you that you didn't even ask for the reason why Mr Lee wanted your presence here. Knocking on the door, you waited for him patiently. 

Mr Lee soon appeared. "How was the paper?" He asked.

"I was able to do it."

"Are you confident that you'll get an A?"

"I hope so..." You hesitated, not wanting to appear over-confident.

Mr Lee chuckled before handing you a rectangular, wrapped item. "This is a thank-you gift. For being Daehyun's tutor, and also for being the top student in my Math class."

You received the gift with both hands as he continued, "I was one of the facilitator for the exam earlier. I saw Daehyun being serious and focusing hard on the paper, something I've never seen from him before."

"I'm amazed. He used to be the rebellious kid who slept in my class all the time. But now he's conscientious, hardworking, and he even managed to become a member of the school council. Daehyun has changed for the better, and I'm proud to see this new and improved side of him."

"It's all thanks to you, isn't it?"

Your bitter smile turned into a dazed expression. "Choosing you as his tutor was definitely a right choice. I hope to teach you and Daehyun again next year, if I have the chance to." 

"Thank you, Mr Lee." You beamed, delighted.

With a nod he left, and the door to his office closed shut. You eyed the present in your hand. You felt unworthy of this, since you only tutored Daehyun for the first half of the semester. He worked hard on his own for the second semester.

Still, you agreed with what he commented about Daehyun. He had indeed changed for the better.

You turned around and started to leave for home. *If only Daehyun was here to receive the compliments from Mr Lee...* You thought. Spotting someone by the side you peered to the left, eyes widening.

It was indeed him. Daehyun was walking towards your direction at an alarming pace.

You grew frantic, whirling around to escape. *Why is he here?* Panicking, you quickened your pace. On the way, you accidentally bumped into someone while scampering away.

"Sorry," You apologized, slinking past the person with your head lowered.

You heard the sound of footsteps behind you and immediately broke into a run, rushing past the mass of students crowding outside the examination hall. Your heart was hammering against your chest.

"Heeyoung, wait!" He shouted. 

*Why is he after me?!* Alarmed, you turned the corner, ramming straight into a student.

Her exam notes flew everywhere. "I'm so sorry," Guilty, you bent down and retrieved up her notes. A pair of shoes stopped beside you, and you sighed dejectedly. Daehyun had caught up to you. 

"Thank you." The student said. After she left, you maintained your gaze on the floor. There was only you and Daehyun standing along the corridor.

"Look at me."

Grumbling, you faced him, determined to show him your upset expression just so he would stop bugging you. But your glare contorted into a worried frown when you realised the empty spot on his collar.

"Your badge!" You exclaimed. "It's missing!"

You took the chance to view his face properly. There were visible eyebags under his eyes, and he looked visibly tired. "We haven't talked for such a long time, and the first thing you talk about is my badge?" He complained.

You cleared your throat and looked away, ashamed. "But if you lose your badge... you'll have to pay for another one."

"I already left the council."

You scrutinized his expression. He seemed serious. "Why would you do that?" You inquired. "I thought you were doing well there."

"Let's chat somewhere else," He suggested when he realised there was a group of girls staring at him from afar. You stiffened, stepping back slowly. You remembered that you were suppose to ignore Daehyun.

"Why should we?" You remarked. "There's nothing for us to talk about."

"Yes there is." He snapped, grabbing your arm and dragging you away. You initially resisted, but stopped struggling when his grip tightened. The mere contact of his hand on your arm was causing you to blush.

*Its been so long since I felt this way...* You bit on your bottom lip.

 

The both of you finally reached the rooftop. He let go of your arm and you rubbed the sore area.

"You've been ignoring me all these while. I want to know the reason why."

*So that was what he wanted to know?* Dumbfounded, you heaved a long sigh. *Obviously it's because of my own one-sided feelings.* You thought, but you couldn't possibly say that. "It's for your own good." You finally replied.

Daehyun was flari

Please log in to read the full chapter