Boulder Gray

50 Shades of MarkSon

It isn't everyday Mark gets time to himself. Sharing his sleeping quarters with possibly one of the loudest people on the planet has rendered Mark a pretty reticent guy - Jackson talks enough for the both of them - and he's long adapted to the constant buzzing by his ear, but he still appreciates the quiet that comes once in a while when Jackson is out on a personal schedule. The others are strewn out about the entire country, some having chosen to return home for a quick visit and others at the company conducting solo practices, leaving Mark alone in the dormitory. It gives his ears a break and and lets his mind unwind as he indulges in all his fantasies. Today is one of those lucky days.

Mark is reclined on his mattress in the darkened bedroom, computer in his lap and his right hand sandwiched between his MacBook and abdomen to keep the device propped up. The LED screen shines a harsh white light on his serene features against the dim surroundings as he scrolls through page after page of search results. He scans and processes the links rapidly, pointer hovering over some, occasionally clicking on certain thumbnails to enlarge them.

Man, these new ones are even better, Mark thinks gleefully with a sinister glint shining his bright eyes. His gaze darts towards the closed bedroom door automatically as though his actions prick his conscience, but the guilt is quickly overridden with the reassurance that he's alone and no one will find out his dirty little secret. Oh, I haven't seen this before. Mark clicks on the video. I'll watch this then. The computer displays a black screen that cues the start of the movie.

Engrossed as he is, he fails to register the vibrations from his phone that fade out into multiple missed call alerts and text notifications from the same number. He doesn't even hear the front door creak open when it does and the shuffling from his co-inhabitant who makes his way around the apartment doing miscellaneous tasks.

It is safe to say Mark gets the shock of his life when he does.

"Hey Mark, I'm back~" Jackson sing-songs as he bursts through the door. Mark manages to slam down on the space bar to pause the video before he completely stills. "Woah, it's dark in here."

In the darkness Mark hears Jackson fumble for the light switch and bright white floods the bedroom. It blinds the elder momentarily and gives Jackson the leverage to skip over to the bed and crawl up next to Mark. "What'cha doing?"

Jackson frowns at the slightly distorted image frozen on the screen. "What's that blue and.... pink thing?"

It's Mrs. Cup Cake, not a blue and pink thing! Mark freaks out in his head. His body finally complies with his head and he snaps out of shock to slam the laptop shut and hold it out of reach. "It's n-nothing!"

"Was... Was that My Little Pony?!" Jackson shrieks. He jumps off the mattress like it scalds him and points an accusatory finger at the laptop, eyes darting between the device and Mark's horror-striken face. The younger backs away slowly as though retreating from a predator and when he finally reaches the safety of the doorframe turns and bolts without once looking back.