Love is...

Tamed

The last time Jungok saw Seulgi in such a state was when the madam passed away. He didn’t think that the girl would be affected by her dad’s death, but the girl’s puffy eyes and tear stained face told him otherwise. All she could croak out was for him to announce the annulment of her engagement with Irene to the media before slipping back into her room without another word. No child should ever have to grow up without their parents, and Seulgi had practically done that for almost her whole life, it was so in the past, and it will be so in the future. He sighed and went about to handle the task he was given, for that was the only way he could help Seulgi now.

 

After getting off the phone with a reporter, Jungok was surprised to see Seulgi in the dining hall. Gone were the traces of her puffy eyes and eye bags, her hair was put up in a bun and she had changed out from her bear print pyjamas to a collared shirt and jeans. The butler wasn’t sure if the person he had seen just a few minutes ago was the same as the one standing right in front of him now, but he was immediately assured that they were when he noticed that the usual mischievous gleam in Seulgi’s eyes were gone and filled with a subtle sorrow. The kind of sorrow that was bubbling inside, the kind of sorrow that came from finally understanding the situation and the kind you have when you try to move on. Seulgi’s next sentence broke his train of thoughts.

 

“Book me the next flight to Jeju.”

 

--

 

Seulgi’s tear ducts had dried up after working overnight yesterday and she was left with a sinking emptiness in her chest. She remembered yesterday’s dream so clearly that she was sure it wasn’t a dream, but her parents sending her a message. It threw her off a bit, but she was glad. Glad that she could finally see her parents together without any restriction, to see her dad actually being a dad for once, kind, showing concern for her and giving her warm hugs. His advice still rang loud and clear in her head, but she felt that she wasn’t ready. There may be no more tears, but it doesn’t mean the pain wasn’t there. She needed to grieve, to properly put this behind before she can finally move on, with her life, with Wendy. She just hoped the other girl will still be waiting for her when the time comes. Her cellphone shrieks, and she was reminded of the fact that she was in a plane due to take off in 15 minutes. Smiling sheepishly at the other passengers, she picked up the call.

 

“Yoboseyo?”

 

“Where are you?” Irene’s voice rang out, loud and clear, straight to the point.

 

“On a plane that is about to take off in 15 minutes.”

 

“MOA. GET OFF IT NOW. Aren’t you going to go and explain yourself to Wendy?”

 

Seulgi shut her eyes at the mention of the other girl’s name. Listening carefully, she could hear a car engine revving in the background from Irene’s side. She chuckled. “You are going to do that now anyway, help me with it too.”

 

“You explain yourself to your girlfriend, while I explain myself to mine.”

 

“I’m not ready yet, unnie.”

 

The meaning of the sentence didn’t escape Irene and her voice visibly softened. “Are you… okay?”

 

“I will be lying if I saw yes. But don’t worry, I will be fine soon. Meanwhile, just help me to fend off any suitors near her okay?”

 

Irene snorted. “Please, I will do that even without you saying it.” A few seconds passed before, “you just… come back quickly.”

 

Seulgi smiled to herself. “Arraso unnie. I’m hanging up.”

 

Irene hummed as a response and Seulgi heard the phone go dead. It wasn’t much, but she was comforted by Irene’s words. The girl didn’t say much, but she knew the older girl cared for her, and will be one of the people waiting for her return. She smiled, comforted at that thought.

 

--

 

No matter how much Irene wiped her hands on her pants, her palms still felt as clammy as ever. She had just passed a very difficult test – the guard post. She had used every last bit of her saliva to persuade the guard to let her in, but it seemed like this might be her most difficult test yet, actually pressing the doorbell. Placing a clenched fist over her chest, she huffed out a deep breath before making her mind up and putting her finger resolutely on the button. Before she could even press it, the door shot open and Irene immediately cowered back behind the bouquet of flowers she was holding. Peeking from behind the bouquet of flowers, her eyes met with Wendy’s amused ones and she immediately let out a sigh of relief, putting down the bouquet to reveal her face.

 

She could see Wendy’s eyes scanning around her, and then disappointment flashing across her eyes, gone as quickly as it came when she realized Irene was alone. Proceeding to open the door wider, Wendy stepped aside, seemingly as an invitation for Irene to go in. Seeing no response from the older girl, Wendy leaned against the door and crossed her arms. “Well are you just going to stand there like a statue? I haven’t got all day.”

 

Irene took a few steps, walked past Wendy and was in the interior of the house. It was the first time the older girl was actually in their house, but she already liked it the moment she stepped foot into it. Warm hues of yellow and orange filled the wall and stylish furniture decorated the house. It was small, for someone like Irene who had grown up in a mansion, but it was so warm and cozy that it actually felt like a proper home, and not just a house. Looking around, she saw a room painted baby blue and another room with the door shut. Looking to Wendy for confirmation, the Canadian girl nodded before disappearing into the kitchen.

 

Mustering her courage, Irene strode to the closed door and knocked on it, three resounding knocks that seemed to quicken her heart beat. She was sure the younger girl inside definitely heard the knocks, but there was no reply. Irene cleared . “I’m coming in now.”

 

Opening the door slightly, she immediately caught the flying pillow sent her way by Joy. Thank god for quick reflexes. She could see the younger girl huddled under her covers, making her look like a cocoon.

 

“Get lost I don’t want to see you.” A muffled voice could be heard from under the blanket. Irene couched down beside the bed and shook the cocoon gently. “Come on, don’t be angry at me~ at least let me explain things…”

 

No response from the cocoon. Irene sighed and sat down. “What do I have to do to make you less angry…?”

 

The older girl heard a sudden growling sound and smiled. She knew just the solution. 30 minutes later, Irene came back to the same room carrying a bag of fried chicken. Shaking it to make sure the plastic bag rustled, she made sure the cocoon could smell the aroma of the fried chicken.

 

“Aigoo my cute cocoon are you hungry? I got you your favorite fried chicken! Are you still going to ignore me?” Irene grinned triumphantly when she saw the cocoon slightly shivering up into a smaller size, as if trying to resist something. Sighing dramatically, Irene put down the plastic bag and sat on the bed, mumbled “Well, you leave me with no choice.”, and started tickling the younger girl. Joy laughed and wiggled around, trying to get away from Irene’s attacks but to no avail. Finally, after much struggling, the cocoon has finally shed away her covers and her face could be seen.

 

Irene finally ceased her attack and placed her hands around Joy’s waist. Smiling, the older girl enveloped the other girl in a hug, placing her head snugly on Joy’s shoulders. Knowing she has lost the battle, the younger girl huffed out in annoyance. “I forgave you too easily.”

 

Irene laughed and tightened the hug. “You weren’t even angry at me in the first place.”

 

Joy’s silence told her that she had hit the nail on the spot. The silly grin was still on Irene’s face when she pulled away to ruffle the younger girl’s head. “Gomawo Park Sooyoung-ah, for having faith in me, for waiting for me. Now, let’s not keep the chicken waiting too!”

 

--

 

The silence was killing Joy. And the chicken. The poor chicken in the bucket, freshly fried, but turning cold with every passing second (or is it because of the atmosphere?), soaking up all of the oil, losing its crispy texture. Unknowingly, a sigh escaped from and her hand automatically went up to muffle the sound but it was too late. Irene turned to look at her, piercing glare immediately turning into a warm gaze, smiling at Joy, and then ruffling her hair. “Just eat first.”

 

Sehun who was sitting opposite Irene visibly flinched at the sudden skin ship between the two, but his usual cool expression was back on again within seconds. “Yeah eat up.”

 

Irene clicked her tongue and gave a look of disbelief. “As if she needs your permission to eat up.”

 

“Well, she doesn’t need yours either.”

 

Before Irene could retort, Joy hurriedly stuffed a piece of kimchi in the older girl’s mouth. Smiling apologetically at the former, Joy clapped her hands together. “Jja, let’s start eating!”

 

Sehun and Joy were digging into the chicken feast happily while Irene was just picking at the kimchi and radish while staring at the two youngsters eat. “Mianhae unnie, I’m sorry that you have to watch us eat.”

 

“It’s okay babo-yah, anything goes as long as you are happy.” Irene replied.

 

“Why isn’t she eating?” Sehun asked Joy, although Irene was directly in front of him.

 

“Unnie doesn’t like to eat chicken.”

 

Sehun snorted. “How can you date someone who hates what you love the most?”

 

Irene was clenching a fist under the table. “And that kiddo, is what you call love. Love is accommodating to your girlfriend’s needs.”

 

The smirk was wiped off Sehun’s face and he immediately dropped the wing he was holding, pushing the whole bucket of chicken to Joy. Wiping his hands, then his mouth on a piece of tissue, he turned his attention to Joy. “You can have the whole bucket.”

 

Looking back at Irene, he said, “This is what love really is. To give up what you like so that someone you love can have more of it.”

 

Joy choked on the chicken at hearing Sehun’s words while Irene was twitching with anger, like a time bomb just a few seconds away from detonating. Never mind the oily hands, Joy immediately grabbed Irene’s clenched fist underneath the table, running down her knuckles a few times to calm the older girl down. “I think you can have the rest of the chicken Sehun, I’m going home with Irene-unnie now.”

 

Irene gave one last victorious smirk at Sehun before she was pulled out of the restaurant by Joy.

 

--

 

“Unnieeee… unnieeeeee… Bae Joohyun unnieee… Joohyunnie unnieeee…” Joy whined, but to no avail as Irene just kept walking, ignoring Joy’s calls. Annoyed, Joy called out, “YAH BAE JOOHYUN!”

 

Irene finally stopped to flash the younger girl an incredulous look. “What did you call me?”

 

“Bae Joohyun. Because you weren’t responding to unnie at all.” Joy replied daringly.

 

Irene opened , seemingly in an attempt to scold Joy, but nothing came out at all, and the older girl resigned herself with a sigh. Joy took this chance to close the gap between them, holding both of Irene’s hands. “You are cute when you are jealous.”

 

“He was jealous too, so was he cute?”

 

Joy smiled a little at her childish unnie. “You are the only cute one in my eyes. Come on, I waited for you for like a month and you still don’t trust me?”

 

“I don’t trust myself… It’s just, the two of you look so compatible, and have the same liking for so many things that sometimes I wonder if I’m suitable for you or not.” Irene brooded.

 

Snaking her arms around the older girl’s small waist, Joy leaned in to give the former a forehead kiss. “Well do you trust yourself now?”

 

Irene blushed and hid her face in the crook of Joy’s shoulders. Joy could feel Irene’s rhythmic breathing against her skin, then her breath hitting her skin as she spoke. “Then tell me. What is love to you?”

 

Pulling away, Joy smiled the brightest smile she could ever muster and looked at the older girl with utmost sincerity. “Love, to me, comes in a form called Irene, Bae Joohyun.”

 

A/N: i must be high on sugar while writing this chapter omg 

like how the hell did i write such a freaking cheesy chapter?! i nearly died while proof reading this lolol

hope you guys enjoyed it and didn't die from an overdose of sweetness xD

and thank you for showing so much love to the previous chapter!! you guys are da best /thumbs up/

there will be seuldy next chapter, so stay tuned! 

oh and i have changed the ending for this fic so it will end earlier than expected? like maybe 3/4 more chapters :)