Engagement

Tamed

Wendy was in the kitchen eating the apple she sliced yesterday while preparing breakfast for Joy as the morning news played on the television. Fiddling with the necklace around her neck, she smiled as she remembered the date with Seulgi last night. She had only known the bear like girl for a few months, but she was willing to spend the rest of her life with the other girl.

 

Waiting for the churros to fry, she heard the news caster blabbered out figures and stock names that were like alien language to her, but the last bit caught her attention.

 

“And now to the last and breaking news of the morning, wedding bells are ringing for the biggest company in Korea, the CEO of Kang Establishments, Kang Taekyung has announced that his daughter, Kang Seulgi will be getting engaged to Bae Joohyun, widely known as Irene, only daughter of Bae Jungkook, CEO of Bae Corporations. With the two forming such a close alliance, these two companies will definitely be a power house in the future…”

 

The plate in her hands crashed to the floor. Walking over the broken plate and out to the living room, she watched as the television flashed Irene and Seulgi’s photos, individually, then photos of them together, smiling and laughing as they walked about on the streets, seemingly on a date. Stepping on the broken plate a few seconds ago, her feet were bleeding, but she just couldn’t feel the pain from it at all, not when the searing pain from her heart numbed out everything. She could feel her chest tighten and her vision getting blurry, and within a second she could feel the tears stream down her face.

 

Just when she thought things were only going to be able to get better from now on, things have to happen. Just when she thought she could spend forever with Seulgi, someone from above had to prove her wrong. She sat down on the floor, pulling herself into embrace, hugging her knees and hiding her face between her knees. Maybe she was just like one of those girls Seulgi had flings with. That’s right, flings with other girls while keeping the only one that mattered right by her side. She was nothing, worthless, not of importance to Kang Seulgi. She laughed at herself bitterly, thinking how she actually let the other girl lead her into believing what they had, were true. She hated the bear like girl for deceiving her, but she hated herself more for actually believing Kang Seulgi.

 

Kang Seulgi. Kang Seulgi. Kang Seulgi. Kang Seulgi.

 

As if by magic, her phone rang, showing the exact same name. Without hesitation, she slid over the red button, rejecting the bear like girl’s call and turned off her phone in the same fashion. She wasn’t going to let herself be fooled by someone twice.

 

--

 

The very moment she opened her eyes the next morning, Jungok rushed in with an iPad in his hand, immediately placing it in front of Seulgi, whose eyes were still half-closed, exhaustion still weighing on them. Looking at the news article on the iPad, Seulgi’s eyes shot open and looked at Jungok, the severity of the situation finally settling in and waking Seulgi up totally.

 

“What the hell is he trying to do?” Seulgi asked, trying hard to control herself from throwing the iPad against the wall.

 

“Mr Kang has left a message, requesting for a meeting with you.”

 

Seulgi clicked her tongue. “There’s no need for that; he’s doing this so that I will go and find him anyway. What about Irene-unnie and Seungwa…?”

 

Shoot. Wendy definitely won’t take to the news well. Flying off the bed, Seulgi rushed into the toilet. “Prepare the car. Send me to Wendy’s place before going to Kang Taekyung’s office. And put Seungwan on the phone.”

 

“I have not been able to contact Miss Son.”

 

Seulgi snapped. “What do you mean not contactable?”

 

“I tried calling Miss Son, Miss Park and their house number but it’s all turned off.”

 

Seulgi grimaced as she rubbed her temples.  “Okay fine get Irene-unnie on the phone.”

 

Inwardly, Seulgi sighed. What the hell was her dad playing at this time? She knew her dad always used eccentric ways to get her to contact him, but an arranged engagement was too much if all he wants is to see her face. And now, she has to worry about Seungwan too. The girl probably didn’t take to the news too well, seeing how she and Joy have already started to avoid her calls, and most probably Irene's ones too.

 

--

 

The trip to Wendy and Joy’s house was in vain. The guardsman didn’t even let her in to the lobby, saying that the ladies in Unit 77 have asked him not to let her in. Irene was met with the same response, and was now bawling her eyes out while dialing and re-dialing Joy’s number to no avail.

 

“Damnit just pick up, at least once.” Irene cried out.

 

“Stop crying. Seriously you are half way to 50 years old and you are still sitting here crying like you are 3. I’m going.” Seulgi said, exhausted even though it’s only 10 in the morning.

 

“Where are you going?” Irene asked while sniffing.

 

“I’m going to meet the who created this whole storm.”

 

--

 

Seulgi never had fond memories of her dad. The man was always aloof and didn’t show much affection to both her mom and her. The closest expression of love she ever got from the man was a “You grew a lot over the past year.” when he came to visit during the first day of every year. She didn’t mind if he was cold to her, but she didn’t understand how he could be so cold to the woman he allegedly loved. She understood that her mom was just an affair, and her, a mistake but that didn’t mean she wasn’t important or didn’t need to be showered with love and care.

 

Her mom, on the other hand, was a superhero in Seulgi’s eyes. Trying her best to be both a dad and mom for Seulgi, she always tries to give Seulgi the best she can offer, but frankly the bear like girl didn’t need anything other than her mom’s selfless love. But alas, the stress of having to care for Seulgi and fend off the wife of Kang Taekyung had taken a toll on her, causing her to leave Seulgi earlier than expected.

 

Seulgi’s unfortunate family background has caused her to have what her psychologist would call it, commitment issues. Seulgi thinks the guy is full of bull, all bespectacled and uptight, going by the rules and reporting her progress (or the lack of it) to her father. She didn’t need some guy with a PhD to tell her what her problem is; she could figure it out just fine even with a lack of education. That was why as soon she hit the big 18 where people apparently suddenly become adults overnight, she immediately stopped going for her monthly consultations with him, successfully getting out of her father’s probing in her life. Due to Seulgi’s extreme reluctance to meet the man called her dad, Kang Taekyung had to resort to various ways to force her daughter to meet him. This, is one such way.

 

--

 

Seulgi’s old man seemed to have lost a few pounds and his head of black hair was now totally white, the wrinkles on his face had also deepened and grown in number. Seulgi diverted her attention elsewhere, anyway but on the man. This was no time to feel sympathy or concern for the man when she had to most probably fight with him. Making sure her impatience was conveyed, Seulgi voiced out, “What do you want this time.”

 

“I need you to work for me.”

 

Seulgi snorted. “Get Kang Seungyoon to do that for you.”

 

“He and his mother are trying to take over my half of the company. You are the only one I can trust.”

 

“He’s not my brother.” Seulgi said through gritted teeth. “And I can only tell you good for you because you can finally have a taste of betrayal from someone close to you, just like what you did to Umma.”

 

“You only need to do it for one month. Take over as the president for one month and I will cancel the engagement with Bae Joohyun.”

 

Seulgi knew she didn’t even have to think about it. Everything had gone right according to her father’s plans, and there was no way to escape or deviate from it. Still, she waited before replying, wanting to give the impression that she does have a say in this situation. “Cancel the engagement immediately and I will do it.”

 

“I will announce the annulment of the engagement when you fulfil your one month period as the president.” The old man was adamant on his decision.

 

Seulgi felt that her molars were going to sink into her gums at the rate she was gritting her teeth. “When do I start?”

 

“The moment you walk out of this room.”

 

--

 

A few hours after stepping out of that room, Seulgi found herself sitting in a private plane owned by Kang Establishments, flying off to Shanghai. It was the first time she was flying, and the fact that there was only her and Jungok in the plane made her even more afraid. At least if they were flying there in a commercial plane, the presence of people would have made her feel more at ease. Shifting uncomfortably in her seat as she looked around the big cabin, Seulgi tried to focus on the documents in front of her, but to no avail.

 

Other than the fear of riding a plane for the first time nagging at her at the back of her mind, another fear was constantly eating at her, consuming her from the inside out; the fear of losing Wendy. She hasn’t even started properly with the girl yet, but everything had already turned to so quickly. To make things worse, her father was adamant on his decision of not announcing the annulment earlier. She could only hope that Wendy would still be waiting for her when she comes back one month later. 

 

A/N: not an engagement between the couple you expected? xD

sorry the long wait, I was really busy with work and stuff lol ._.

anyway random ramblings, i really liked this part "She understood that her mom was just an affair, and her, a mistake but that didn’t mean she wasn’t important or didn’t need to be showered with love and care." because i just want to say that everyone, old or young, male or female, deserves to be showered with love and care and that everyone is important even if you think you are not. you just need to meet someone who can appreciate you and love you and care for you genuinely, like how seulgi met wendy /moves eyebrows suggestively and have a "if-you-know-what-i-mean" face/

oh and i'm really looking forward to your reactions for the NEXT chapter because it's honestly my favorite chapter out of the whole fic? like this chapter and next chapter are both chapters that are really close to my heart so, really interested to see your responses and how you would take to it hurhur 

till the next chapter then!