Can I Love You?

Tamed

It hasn’t even been 1 hour since she touched down in Seoul and Seulgi’s here standing outside the music studio in Seoul University peeking into the room, trying to spot Wendy in the midst of people. It takes her a while to find the short brunette at the front of the room, and even then, she is only able to see half of the back of her head. The session seems to be over as the door opens and people start to stream out, and when the human crowd cease, Seulgi slips into the relative empty room, spotting Wendy in an animated discussion with another member. Soojung stands at the side, obviously tuned out to the discussion in front of her.  She sees Seulgi, and the latter motions for her to keep silent with a finger to her lips. Seulgi stealthily makes her way closer to where Wendy is at, and when she gets closer, she clears . “I have a question too, President.”

                                                                            

Wendy whips her head back so quickly Seulgi thought it will snap, obviously recognizing her voice as her eyebrows are lifted in surprise. She forgets the discussion she has with the guy, forgets about the proper decorum she should have as the choir president as she runs and jumps into Seulgi’s waiting embrace. Seulgi lifts and spins the girl for a few rounds before stopping and chuckling. Placing a kiss on Wendy’s forehead, Seulgi rubs her hands up and down Wendy’s back as she smiles. If she is going to get clingy Wendy every time she goes overseas on a business trip, then Seulgi doesn’t mind going on one every day.

 

It’s only when Krystal clears that they realize that they are not alone. Wendy pulls away first, embarrassed to be seen in such a state by her members, but Seulgi keeps her hands on Wendy’s waist, not intending to let go. “I’m sorry Chen, I will talk to you again about the song arrangement, alright?”

 

Chen shows an okay sign as he picks up his bag, not forgetting to shoot a teasing glance at Wendy before leaving the studio. Krystal chuckles as she watches this group of girls continue to linger at the back of the studio, looking at the three of them. “Hey Wandy, seems like you have finally gotten our poster girl’s attention.”

 

They turn to look at the group of girls at the back, and Seolhyun looks at them, arrogant look still on her face. “What about them?” Seulgi asks, clueless on what is happening.

 

“Seolhyun junior over there is the new poster girl for our school. She’s been giving Wendy attitude, missing training for no reason, and still expects a solo during the school choir concert. Only your girlfriend is stupid enough to keep the solo for her.”

 

Wendy frowns at this and is about to retort when Seulgi places her two fingers over the former’s eyebrows, straightening the creases on them. “My girlfriend isn’t stupid, she’s selfless.”

 

She smiles as Wendy blushes, hitting her gently on her shoulders. She finally lets go of her grip on Wendy as the girl packs her stuff, and she joins Krystal in the game of watching the group of girls. They seem to be just sitting around in the room, doing nothing, occasionally looking over to their direction. “Why are they not leaving?” Seulgi asks, confused.

 

“Poster girl is interested in you, stupid.” Seulgi just replies with a ‘oh’, before turning back to look at Wendy who is prepared to leave. “Many people are.”

 

“I am interested in myself too.” Seulgi says, kissing the back of her hand, which causes Wendy to laugh. Seulgi grins, and stretches out to entwine her hand with Wendy’s. “Let’s go?”

 

Wendy nods and they make their way towards the exit. Seulgi excuses them from the crowd of girls near the door, making sure to tell them, “Sorry but can you make space for me and my girlfriend to pass?”

 

They step to one side, shamed to no return and Krystal stifles a laugh as she follows behind the couple. She gives a knowing smile to Wendy before waving goodbye at the two and going off. Seulgi drags Wendy to her car, excited like a kid who had just gotten a new toy. Wendy chuckles as she gets into the passenger seat, shaking her head at the bear’s antics.

 

--

 

Seulgi gets excited, but never this jumpy and anxious, as she drums her fingers on the steering wheel. Wendy chuckles and shakes her head at Seulgi’s antics, never able to figure out what the bear has in mind. She looks out and finally realizes the route they are taking is not the one leading back home. “Seul, where are we going?”

 

“You will see.” Seulgi replies with glee in her voice.

 

--

 

15 minutes later, the car comes to a stop in front of a restaurant and Wendy finally turns her attention away from the composition in front of her to register her surroundings. It’s Seulgi’s restaurant, the place where they first met. Seulgi has already bounded out of the car, and Wendy feels the car door at her side open, Seulgi greeting her with the biggest grin on her face. Wendy chuckles and takes Seulgi’s hand, and they walk towards the entrance of the restaurant. Seulgi lets go of their entwined hands, and Wendy was about to whine at the loss of contact when she feels the former slide behind her, a blindfold covering her eyes. “Kang Seulgi!”

 

“Promise not to take off your blindfold until I say so, okay?” Seulgi asks, tightening the knot of the blindfold. Wendy keeps her arms folded across her chest and pouts. “What are you planning again?”

 

“You will find out soon.” Seulgi unfolds Wendy’s arms and entwines their hands again. Wendy can only let Seulgi pull her along now that she’s in a blindfolded state, but she can feel the ‘ding’ of the door and the blast of cool wind telling her that they have already stepped into the restaurant. She hears a chair being pulled out a few steps in front of her, and Seulgi guiding her to sit on the chair. She takes a seat and Seulgi lets go of her hands, reminding her again not to remove her blindfold until she says so. Wendy scowls and is about to retort, but she can hear Seulgi shuffling away so she just saves it.

 

The restaurant is awfully quiet, which means they are probably the only two in the restaurant. She hears the sound of a guitar strumming, then someone tapping on the microphone, the sound reverberating across the whole restaurant. Someone who sounds distinctively like Seulgi speaks into the mic. “Ah, ah mic test.” She sighs into the mic and Wendy can imagine the anxious look on the other girl’s face, the thought bringing a smile onto her face.

 

“Okay, you can remove your blindfold now.” Seulgi’s voice sounds out through the audio system and Wendy removes the blindfold to see herself seated at the table right in front of the stage, which has been upgraded into a proper stage with a grand drape compared to the past where it was just an elevated platform for the live band to perform on. The grand drape is illuminated by a projector, casting a blue light on the red curtains and a click can be heard before the blue screen turns into a frozen frame of a couch. Another click and the video starts playing, but only rustling sounds could be heard in the background with no movement on the screen. Finally, Seulgi appears on the screen, plopping down onto the couch and waving rather awkwardly at the camera. “Hello? It's recording right?”

 

The Seulgi on screen meddles with the camera again before moving back so that her whole upper body and face could be seen. “Okay hi! You must be curious on why I'm greeting you like this right? Well even if you aren't curious pretend that you are.”

 

Wendy chuckles but Seulgi on screen continues on. “Erm, so we have met each other for about 1 year now, and I realized that we have never, you know made whatever we had official. Not that it makes a difference because I still love you just as much but it's difficult to celebrate anniversaries and stuff you know? Actually it's not like I'm going to remember the anniversary date or something so it's probably best if we don't have an anniversary date.” Seulgi laughs. “Okay I'm rambling but I just want to thank you for always being so considerate and thoughtful to me, I know we don't get to see each other often now because I always have to go on business trips but thank you for always being so understanding when I do go on those trips, always welcoming back with such warmth and love. You are the home that I always look forward to coming back to after every day, after every business trip; you are my home. Thanks for giving all your love to me and just like now, in the future, I will continue to love you with all my heart. So maybe you know what’s coming? It's okay if you don't, let these people tell you.”

 

Seulgi holds out her arms as if to gesture at people around her and Joy and Irene appears after a transition. “Hi Wan-unnie!” Joy greets and Irene waves and smiles as she back hugs Joy. “Well, you are so smart, you should have figured out by now what the dumb bear is trying to do right?”

 

Seulgi protested with a “Yah!” behind the camera and the couple being filmed laughs. “Okay but jokes aside, just marry her already! I know I didn't have a very good impression of her at first because of her reputation, but I think she proved herself over the one year so yep just get married!”

 

“Yeah and you guys have gone through a lot together, and your love had pulled through every single time so I'm sure everything will work out fine in the future. Also, this bear is really dumb and forgetful so you need to stay around to take care of her.” Irene mocks and Seulgi retorts off camera, “At least I will always have a better proposal than you.”

 

“That is true.” Joy deadpans and Irene slaps the younger girl by her arms. “You are supposed to be on my side!”

 

The video ends with Joy shrugging, transiting into her other friends or people they both knew. Jungok was next after Joy and Irene, followed by her schoolmates, Soojung, Sulli, Amber etc. The video fades out to a piano riff and the projector goes dead, the grand drape opening to reveal Seulgi on stage yielding a guitar and a nervous smile. Positioning her hands over the guitar, she strums a gentle, slow and soothing tune, starting to sing after the intro verse. She has her eyes closed, immersed in the music while Wendy just ponders at how amazing she looks under the spotlight.

 

The door is opening and you come in

 

I knew at first sight that you were mine

 

Your face shone as you came toward me

 

You are so beautiful you can make me go blind

 

I don't know why, but it's not strange

 

Yet my heart is fluttering

 

You took all of my heart

 

I want to tell you carefully

 

I want to be brave

 

Can I love you from today?

 

It's the first time

 

I don't want to lose this obvious feeling

 

I think love is going to come

 

I'll give only good things to you

 

I don't know why, but it's not strange

 

Yet my heart is fluttering

 

You took all of my heart

 

I put up with a lot of goodbyes and lots of tears

 

So it's a little late, but I think I've finally met the one

 

Can I love this person that's sitting in front of me?

 

I'll confess to you with my beating heart

 

The projector lights up again, illuminating the screen behind Seulgi, the pictures they took together flashing on the screen one by one.

 

I want to tell you carefully

 

I want to be brave

 

Can I love you from today?

 

It's the first time

 

I don't want to lose this obvious feeling

 

I think love is going to come

 

I'll give only good things to you

 

Can I love you?

 

Seulgi finishes the last line of the song and she finally opens her eyes, focusing on strumming the outro of the song. As she strums the last note, the video on the screen flashes the last picture, and the screen turns back. She looks at Wendy nervously, who locks eyes with her with tears in her eyes while biting her lips. Seeing a teary Wendy makes Seulgi panic, and she immediately places the guitar against the chair, jumping down the stage and rushing to the former’s side. She kneels down at Wendy’s foot, wiping the tears that are now streaming down her face with her fingers.

 

“Hey, did I really do such a bad job that you have to cry?” Seulgi asks jokingly, while running her hands up and down Wendy’s back. Wendy buries her face into the crook of Seulgi’s neck, shaking her head. Seulgi continues to pat Wendy on her back, waiting for the latter to calm down. Wendy pulls away when her tears turn into sniffles, whispering a “Thank you.”

 

Seulgi just shakes her head and fixes Wendy’s hair. “So do you like it, the song, the video, everything?”

 

Wendy nods and Seulgi smiles. Pulling out a ring box from her pocket, Seulgi stares at it and laughs sheepishly, rotating it so that it faces Wendy as she opens the box. Inside the box sits two rings, just 2 simple silver bands. Time seems to stop moving, and the air suddenly feels really thick to Seulgi, every breath harder and harder to take, every breath suffocating her more and more. She’s already kneeling; all that’s left to do is to ask. She lets go off the breath she didn’t know she was holding, supports the box with both of her hands because she’s shaking so much and asks, “Girlfriend is such a stupid word. So I have to marry you so I can call you my wife. Will you let me love you for the rest of our lives, as my wife?”

 

Wendy feels the air out of her when she finally realizes where this is going. She stares at the bands very closely and notices the engravings on it, not everything, but enough to see ‘<3 Wan’ on one and ‘<3 Seul’ on the other. She looks up at Seulgi to see the apprehensive look on her face, about to pull her hair off if her hands weren’t busy holding the ring box. She smiles and she sees a smile starting to form on Seulgi’s face too, but she feels it before she sees it as she tugs Seulgi in for a kiss.

 

They pull apart from the kiss, both panting like mad and Wendy finally sees the joy on Seulgi’s face, the smile finally reaching her eyes, unlike the ones before which were filled with anxiety and a little bit of fear. Seulgi takes out the ring supposedly for Wendy from the box and she lets Wendy sees it.

 

‘Wan <3 Seul’

 

Seulgi reaches out to hold Wendy’s hand, looking at the latter for confirmation (which came in the form of a nod) before slipping in onto her left hand. Wendy does the same for Seulgi, slipping the (Seul <3 Wan) ring on and they clasp their hands together, both smiling when they feel their hands come into contact with the cold bands on their other half’s hands. Seulgi twirls the ring on Wendy’s finger and she feels Wendy doing the same. She really likes the feeling of the ring on her finger, really likes Wendy too. Seeing the smile on Wendy’s face, Seulgi knows the feeling is mutual and she can’t help but engulf the former in a tight hug. She’s going to burst from all these happiness she feels, and Seulgi don’t want to have it any other way. 

 

 

A/N: sorry for the long delay! hopefully the fluffiness made up for it ^_^ 

till the next update then! (which hopefully won't be too long later :P)