Reason

Tamed

Seulgi knew she had been running for a long time, but strangely she didn’t feel tired at all. Stopping in front of a familiar cottage, she smiled to herself. Barging into the cottage, she saw her parents again, her mother busying herself in the kitchen while her father was reading the newspaper while sipping on his coffee. Sighting Seulgi first, her father choked on his coffee, alerting her mother, who also turned to look at him, thus spotting Seulgi. The two were staring at Seulgi with shocked looks, unlike the last time where they were expecting her.

 

“Wae? Aren’t you happy to see me?” Seulgi asked, latching onto her mother immediately.

 

Her father stood up, chair dragging across the floor. “I’m going to check the registrar.”

 

Her mother nodded at him before giving a hug to Seulgi, pulling away to pat her head. “You must be hungry, sit down and wait; dinner will be ready in a few.”

 

As Seulgi settled herself down at the table, her father walked in, and she noticed her mother immediately turning to him, which he responded with a shake of his head. At his notion, her mother heaved a sigh of relief and she watched the two curiously. “What’s going on?”

 

“Oh! It’s nothing!” Her mother said, voice a pitch higher than normal. She narrowed her eyes at her mother’s suspicious actions but just shook it off; preferring to focus on the bowl of soup her mother had placed in front of her. Slurping on it, she smiled. She missed this taste so much. Her dad and mom took their seats at the table, watching Seulgi a little too intently. She shifted under their gaze. Unable to take it anymore, she placed her spoon down. “Seriously, can someone just tell me what is wrong here? You guys have been staring at me like I’m a freak since I walked in through the door.”

 

“Do you remember how you end up here?” Her dad asked and she looked at him with a confused look. Closing her eyes, she tried to remember what happened before she ended up in front of the hut.

 

“I… love… you…”

 

A field of yellow dandelions.

 

Her head was suddenly hit by a sharp pain and she yelped, bringing her hands up to her temples, trying to stop the pain. She heard her mother whisper an ‘it’s still too early’ to her father, before she shook her by the shoulder slightly. “Hey sweetie, it’s okay, don’t think about it if it hurts.”

 

She opened her eyes to see her parents’ concerned faces and she mustered a smile as she felt the pain slowly receding away. Shaking her head to clear her mind, she said, “Don’t worry, I’m fine.”

 

The two took it at that and stopped prodding; falling back to the friendly banter she was familiar with, the mood taking a total 360 degrees change. She laughed as her mother continued to embarrass her father by telling her stories of how the man had used unorthodox methods to chase her, but the fun soon turned into embarrassment as the older woman told the man about how Seulgi in her pants when she was four.

 

“Mom!” She whined, burying her face into her palms, only to earn another round of raucous laughter from the two.

 

--

 

The three were settled on the couch now, her father, her, then her mother. Her head was on her mother’s lap, while her leg was on her father’s. Her parents had insisted that she sat down and watched this drama that she will no doubt love, so here they were, settled comfortably in front of the TV. She watched the black screen turned to live, and see herself appearing on screen. “What…” she began to question, but was immediately shushed by her mother.

 

She watched, and she remembered every single thing while watching. It was funny watching it, because it felt like it happened to someone else, instead of herself. But she knew it had happened, and now she finally understood her parents’ initial shock when they saw her. Her father hopped up, throwing the remote at the TV. He paced around the couch, all the while rubbing his temples. “That bastard…”

 

Seulgi was in shock. Is this really the end? Seeing how she has ended up with her parents, Seulgi feared the worst. Her mother had pulled her up into a hug, the woman’s tears wetting her shirt. She could only pat her mom on the back, not even sure what to say. After a while, her mother had pulled away from her, wiping her tears away and smiling at her with a bittersweet smile. “You have to go back, Seulgi-yah, it’s not your time yet.”

 

Seulgi could feel a dull ache start to develop in her abdomen and she frowned. “What do you mean? I’m not dead yet?”

 

“Luckily, you are not.” Her dad said. “You are in a transition period now, where your soul is not in this realm, but not in the living realm either. You have to make your way back to the living realm now, if you stay here for too long, you won’t be able to go back.”

 

“How do I go back?” Seulgi barely managed to mumble out as she could feel herself weakening, and her vision blurring.

 

“You have to find your own reason on why you have to go back.” She felt her mother placed a chaste kiss on her forehead. “Goodbye Seul-yah, see you when it’s really your time.”

 

--

 

Seulgi had been walking in the field of dandelions for what felt like hours, and she still couldn’t find the way out of the field, which seemed to stretch on with no end in sight. Huffing and slumping down in defeat, she sat herself down on the field. Why is that damn reason so hard to find. If this goes on she might very well find herself back at the cottage with her parents soon. She began to pick and blow at the dandelions, giving up on looking for the reason. Watching the petals fly away, she heard a soft call.

 

“Seulgi… Kang Seulgi where are you?” Wendy. That voice definitely belonged to Wendy.

 

Immediately shooting up and scanning the field, she spotted a head of brown hair amidst the yellow dandelions. Seulgi began to run after the brunette, not even stopping or pausing for a second, even though the pain in her abdomen was getting harder and harder to ignore. She panicked when she saw the brunette disappear into the field of flowers, only to spot the girl crying on her knees while covering her face. The pain worsened as she got closer to Wendy and she had slowed down to a painful stroll, trying her best to get closer.

 

“Don’t cry idiot, I’m coming…”

 

--

 

She opens her eyes languidly, greeted by a white ceiling. The next thing she registers is the constant beeping of a machine, and her own breathing, amplified by an oxygen mask that she spots from her peripheral vision. Lifting her hand, she brushes past what feels like a bandage on her abdomen, before settling it on the mask, fiddling with it. Strangely for some reason, she can’t feel her left hand and she ignores the dull aching pain from her abdomen to shift her head down, only to spot a whimpering mess of brown hair on the left side of the bed.

 

Her heart tightens as she watches the brunette struggle with something in her dream, and she tugs on their entwined hands, wanting to wake the latter up from her nightmare. She feels the brunette shift a little, before wiping her tears with her free hand and looking up, finally locking eyes with her.

 

Seulgi can feel a smile creeping on her face as she moves her other hand to rest on the other girl’s face, who still looks frozen and shell shocked.

 

“You are my reason.”

 

--

 

Wendy finds herself in a field of dandelions. That very field where Seulgi kept running away from her.  She turns to the right, thinking she spots the bear-like girl from her side vision, only to be greeted with the endless yellow flowers. But still, Wendy runs after it. She runs after what she thinks is a glimpse of Seulgi, only to be met with disappointment time and again. She finally stops, on the verge of giving up, tears already flowing without her noticing it.

 

“Seulgi… Kang Seulgi where are you?” She calls out, hoping for a response. Silence is her only answer. She finds her legs losing strength, sinking onto the soil, one hand clutching her chest and the other clutching , trying to muffle her sobs. She hears rustling from behind, and doesn’t even bother to check who or what it is, doesn’t care if that who or what is going to hurt her, because she doesn’t think she can be in more pain than she already is.

 

She feels a tug and she’s back, antiseptic smell and beeping machine immediately invading her senses. Wendy notices that their hands are still interlinked and brings up her other hand to wipe her tears. Looking up, she is shocked frozen to see the other girl, awake and looking back at her. She feels the other girl’s hands on her face, thumb running across to wipe the tears that she missed, a grin, her favorite grin on her favorite person’s face.

 

“You are my reason.” 

 

A/N: well finally!! you guys can keep all your bazookas back into the storage room now xD

so yes no one is dying on my watch /puts on sunglasses/

joyrene next chapter!