Chapter Twelve

'Twas only a Dream
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The event started at exactly eight thirty in the morning. All the participants were required to wear jogging pants and the couple shirt provided as well as the chained bracelets. The pairings were varied; male-male, female-female and male-female. Even the grade levels vary as well.  There’s also a live telecast of the said event. The starting point is at the race track and the stations where scattered around the whole school campus. The audience was seated on the school’s bleachers as they watch the ongoing event on the large screen projected on both sides.

“The race is composed of 15 stations. You have to pass on each station before you get to the next one. If you fail, then you are eliminated from the entire race. You will be distributed accordingly to each station. Make the best of it and bring home the glory. No foul play, no cheating, no advancement or you will be disqualified. Now, prepare, hold your partners hand. The race will start at the count of three…”

Kris held her hand firmly, smiling in assurance to her.

“Two…”

Sooyoung returned the gesture by squeezing his hand as well as they prepare for the signal.

“One…”

*BANG*

The fifteen pairs dissipated into the field to get to their respective stations.  The students cheered on their bets. Kris and Sooyoung were first stationed on number 6 which was about senses. They were asked to pick on the box on what sense will they use. They picked the sense of hearing.

“We will blindfold one of you and one will have to let the blindfolded one guess what you are doing by letting her hear action related to what you are doing. No whispering on the likes or you will be disqualified. So who will be blindfolded?” the facilitator asked.

“Let her be blindfolded,” Kris smiled at the shocked Sooyoung, but then she consented to it. They removed the chain from Sooyoung, letting it dangle on Kris’s wrist.

After a few shuffling, there was complete silence. Sooyoung had to keep herself from calling out for Kris once the darkness settled in. Then, she heard faint tapping on probably a wood followed by a ‘ting’ sound.

She tried her best to associate words on that repeating sound.

“Tin box?” she tried her first guess.

“Wrong. Two more guesses.”

She tried to concentrate and all, trying to think of anything that may associate again on those sounds. It took her ten minutes to finally guess the word.

“Ring box.”

“Correct.”

She reached for the blind fold and closed her eyes to adjust on the sudden brightness. When she opened it, there goes the opened ring box on the table as Kris is collecting their station card. “Proceed to the gym.”

They locked their hands after being handcuffed again and proceed to the next station. There goes Tao, with other more facilitators.

“Welcome to ‘Whisper my Path’ station. We will have one of you to stay here while the other one has to stay inside for further instruction,” the head facilitator smiled.

“I’ll stay in here, Sooyoung can get inside.”

Three of the facilitators guided Sooyoung inside the gym.

“The rules are simple. We will provide you an earpiece where you will hear your partner instruct you how to get to her location but you cannot reply or talk to her. Before you venture inside, we will blind fold you. Your earpiece will be the tracking device that will identify you on the tablet we will provide on your partner. It is like saving your partner yet guiding you as well. Do you have any questions?”

Kris sighs, “Why do you guys like to blindfold people?”

The others present laughed at him. They started helping him on the earpiece before they blindfolded him.

“Good luck and may you find your princess,” Tao whispered as he closes the door with him.

Darkness and cold wind started to envelope him. He wants to remove the blindfold, but they had him cuffed at the back.

“Kris,” Sooyoung’s voice rang on the earpiece, “just move on straight.”

They started the relay of instruction. Kris diligently followed the relayed information when there was a loud peal of thunder, surprising both of them since he heard Sooyoung gasp on the earpiece. It was a while before Sooyoung was able to find her voice.

As they move on, there were sound intrusion such as wolf howling, scary bell chimes, distant cries of people and all sorts of scary sounds. Kris was beginning to get tired since he has been walking endlessly and can’t get to the end.

Sooyoung’s voice got frantic, “Oh my god, Kris, run! I can see other beings following you from the screen. Hurry!”

She started relaying the directions faster as Kris tries to pick up with her pace because he usually trips or hit a wall. Just when he thought he is never going to finish running, a hand suddenly pulled her followed by the pull on his blindfold. The tremble of her body pressed to him and the short intake of air from her froze him for a while as he wonders what could make her act like that.

“We are very glad to see you made it. We would like to clarify that there were no individuals running after your partner. That was just a little trick. You had the shortest time recorded; you may proceed now to the next station.”

She slowly parted, bowing her head after hearing the announcement. A door on their right clicked open. One of the facilitators got inside and tied them again before they finally left the station with no more exchange of words.

She is not the athletic type yet she is part of the Dance Club. All the while they had been running, she had to catch up with him. They had passed all the remaining stations where ridiculous games and stuffs abound. The last station was at the track-and-field lane.

“The first pair to come to the last station.”

There were cheers among the audience.

“For this station, you will have to test your speed and endurance. You will be doing a relay; five-laps relay. But since there are just two

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter