Neighbors

손이 가 (Take My Hand)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Dark Mocha neun ije eobseumnidaWe don't have Dark Mocha today."

"Espressoneun?What about Espresso?" 

"Espresso do eobseumnidaWe don't have that either."

Eunhye stared blankly at the girl behind the counter of the coffee shop nearest her new place. She had to move recently due to certain circumstances to a neighborhood on the opposite side of the city and she had yet to move her stuff in. She tried hard not to curse, even in her thoughts. It wasn't the girl's fault that the branch she was working on had poor inventory. Settling for Choco Caramel (which meant it was one of those worst days because she hate sweets), she left the coffee shop with a broken espresso machine and drove to her apartment.

She didn't have much stuff to move in with since she already sent her furnitures a week beforehand. Eunhye liked to get on top of things and she wanted to be able to settle in her new apartment stress-free. She had been through a lot over the last month, what with her being on the last semester on her Game Programming course and she was far from being finished with the game she was working on, which was the main requirement for graduation, plus she had to work night shifts at her job at a radio station as one of the IT support team there.

Being a student living in a foreign country do take its toll, even on someone like her, who fell in love with South Korea long before she got there. When she got the chance (and money) she left her home country to attend a friend's wedding and got a two-week vacation, and ended up living in the capital city for more than two years now. She got a job at a radio station, and she met her true love - Game Designing.

She got to the apartment building and knew her bad day was far from over. In the parking space that was reserved for her car (or so she told the building manager) parked a white van. It was one of those vans in which Korean celebrities ride to their schedules, and she almost reversed her car, thinking it was someone she recognized.

Could he have found me already? she thought. Eyy. SeolmaNo way.

SM Entertainment wasn't the only company in Korea that could afford those type of celebrity vans. She then rememberred that the building manager told her about some celebrities living in the building. He told him about them begging Eunhye not to post anything bad or inappropriate if she ever met those people in the building, and she made it clear to him that she didn't want anything to do with any celebrity and he was thankful for that.

Goodness knows she was done with affiliating with those. She had secretly lived with one and look where that got her--on another side of the city just so he couldn't find her. She had considered going back to her home country but that would mean she just wasted all her time, money and effort on studying to be a good programmer.

She had to park at the end of the block. Choosing the lightest among the three boxes inside her car, she went inside the building.

"BugeowongabwayoThat looks heavy," commented the guard. "TeowadeurilkkeyoLet me help you."

"KwaenchanhayoIt's fine," she said. "AnbugeowoyoIt's not that heavy."

A guy also came inside the building and talked to the guard, so Eunhye just went ahead to the elevator. Of course, the elevator was stopped for maintenance. She swore since she was eighteen never to curse even in her thoughts, but now she wanted to take that back. She also swore never to be violent again, but kicking the elevator door seemed like a good idea at the time. Before she could be sued for damages to property, she went and climbed the stairs.

Why did she chose the third floor over the second floor again?!

She carried the heavy box (and it was the lightest among the three) up two flights of stairs and only needed to climb one more when the bottom of the box gave way and all the stuff inside fell out. There were clangs and a crash as three framed photos crashed and bounced on the steps. It was a good picture of how she actually felt the last couple of weeks.

"Seriously?" What a cherry on top of her good day.

She started to pick things up, feeling a sting in her eyes. No--she wasn't going to cry alone in a stairwell. The first thing her hand reached for was his photo--with the glass completely shattered. 

Come on, Eunhye. It's not a Korean drama that you'd stare at that stupid photo and pick it up in slow motion with a really mellow background music. You're too cool for that.

She heard a faint sound of one of the apartment doors opening and closing, and soon the door to the stairs opened, and that made her blink back the tears. It was one thing to cry on a stairwell, and to be seen doing that was another. She kept her back to whoever came while she picked up a black jacket and a black snapback. There was a sound of broken

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter