Day 7 - December 7th

Naughty and Nice

    Sungmin blinked his eyes open to the sun shining in his face. He noticed he was in the hospital, he had passed out in one of the chairs, sitting next to the hospital bed. He looked at the boy lying limp in the bed and scooted the chair closer to the bed. Kyuhyun was hooked up to some IV and was sleeping peacefully. Sungmin carefully grabbed Kyuhyun’s hand in his and watched as the taller male opened his eyes.

    He turned his head and smiled at Sungmin, “You’re here.”

    Sungmin took a sigh of relief and got upset, “Of course I’m here! Did you think I was just going to leave you alone like this!? What the hell even happened to you? You had me worried all night! I don’t even know how I slept when you-”

    “Thank you.”

    Sungmin stopped his ranting and calmed himself, “F-For what?”

    “For helping me.” Kyuhyun smiled wearily.

    The smaller male's face softened, “What happened to you, Cho?”

    “Do you remember that guy who’s girlfriend I flirted with at the bar while I was drunk a few nights ago?”

    “Yeah?” Sungmin thought back to that night, “I had to save your .”

    “Well I was walking to the Mouse Rabbit to come talk to you about something when he saw me. He was out walking with his pitbull, who was not very nice.” Kyuhyun said.

    “Oh my god, you got attacked by a dog?” Sungmin covered his mouth with his hand.

    “Yeah.” Kyuhyun nodded, “Next thing I knew, I was walking into the Mouse Rabbit and you helped me.”

    “If it wasn’t for you, Mr. Cho would’ve been dead.”

    Sungmin turned and saw the doctor standing there with his nurse by his side. His nurse walked to the other side of Kyuhyun’s bed, “I’m going to check your vitals.”

    Kyuhyun nodded and looked back at me, “Thank you, Ming.”

    Sungmin’s breath was hitched. The only other person who’s ever called him that was his mother. Sungmin slipped his hand out of Kyuhyun and stood up, “I need to go.”

    

____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

    Sungmin had a day off from Zumba practice and he used the practice room to create dances for the musical. He was jumping around, creating new moves that he either hated or loved and eventually he got sick of making the moves he hated. He slammed his closed fist into the mirror and leaned his head against it.

    He was heavily breathing and wasn’t just upset because of the moves. His mind was taken over with thoughts of Kyuhyun, his words about Naomi and calling him by his mother’s nickname for him but most of all, Sungmin was mad at himself for leaving Kyuhyun stranded at the hospital after such a horrid night. He took a deep breath and leaned his back against the mirror that covered the wall. He slid down and laid his head in his knees in idiocy and shame.

    There were three knocks at the locked door and Sungmin looked toward it before getting up to answer it. He opened the door and his best friend stood in front with a goofy smile on his face, “Hey, Sungmin.” Donghae said.

    “Hi.” Sungmin replied grumpily.

    “I heard about what happened.” Donghae replied.

    Sungmin grunted, “Yes! I’m an ! The who left that damn Cho Kyuhyun stranded at the hospital by himself! I get it! I’m an idiot and he’s not!”

    Donghae looked at his shorter best friend shocked and confused, “W-What? No I was talking about the musical. I heard from Ryeowook that you got to be the choreographer, now what did you do wrong this time?”

    Sungmin sighed and stepped aside, letting his best friend inside the room. He told him everything that had happened to him over the past few days and told him how much of an idiot he is for leaving Kyuhyun like that.

    “Well, just go visit him at his house or do what Lee Sungmin would do!”

    “What would he- I mean I do?” Sungmin asked confused.

    Donghae rolled his eyes, “Bake!”

    Sungmin sighed, “I’ve already brought him cookies I made at the Mouse Rabbit. It won’t work.”

    “So what if you’ve made cookies before? Make something else… Ooh, I know, make your speciality.”

    “My speciality?” Sungmin looked at his best friend wide eyed, “That takes forever to make! I don’t even think I remember how!”

    “Of course you do!” Donghae smiled and put his arm over his friends back, “You’ve made it for me for years!”

    “But it’s a tradition that I only make it on Christmas eve!” Sungmin replied, “That was my mom and I’s agreement.”

    Donghae looked at me seriously, “Sungmin, I know how much you hate hearing it but your moms not with us anymore. She passed that recipe down to you to do what you please with it. Hell, you’ve won me back with it before. Remember when I was pissed at you?”

    Sungmin wiped his tears he didn’t know had even fallen and laughed, “Y-Yeah. You were mad at me because I accidentally ripped off the head of your favorite stuffed animal.”

    “Yeah! You and your mom made that perfect, delicious, dish so I would forgive you and it wasn’t Christmas eve then, was it?” Donghae questioned.

    Sungmin sighed, “I guess you’re right.” He looked up at Donghae with determination, “Let’s do it!”

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

    “Croquembouche”

    “Gesundheit.”

    Sungmin rolled his eyes, “No. That’s what it’s called.” He pointed the whisk at his best friend, “It’s extremely hard to make, so you need to listen to me carefully and follow every direction I give you perfectly, understand?”

    “Sure.” Donghae said grabbing a cube of caramel and popping it in his mouth.

    Sungmin smacked his hand with the whisk, “No eating the ingredients!”

    “Ow!” Donghae caressed his hand and pouted, “Fine.”

    Sungmin looked down at the recipe, “I need you to separate eight to ten eggs while I boil the water, butter, salt, and sugar. Got it?”

    “Wait, eight or ten eggs?” Donghae asked.

    “I don’t know. Pick a number between that.”

    “That’s nine.” Donghae replied.

    Sungmin shrugged, “Sure, nine eggs! I don’t know I was six when my mom last made this!”

    “Alright, alright!”

    Donghae and Sungmin got hard at work making the French recipe his mom used to create perfectly. They worked hard to get the dough together and put into a pastry bag. Donghae helped his friend place the dough in the bag and Sungmin piped it into big kisses on a parchment lined baking sheet. Carefully Sungmin placed the sheet in the oven and set a timer.

Donghae sighed, “This is hard.”

“Well buck up, we’ve still got to make the filling and caramel, then put it all together!” Sungmin replied.

Donghae looked down at the bag of flour and quietly dipped his hand in it. He approached Sungmin, who was washing his hands, from behind and slapped the white substance onto his face. Sungmin yelped from the sudden slap and turned to face his best friend, “It’s on!”

Sungmin ran toward the bag and started throwing flour at the other. The whole kitchen turned a new shade of white. Donghae found a way to steal the bag from Sungmin and began chasing him around instead. Both boys were covered in the baking ingredient and looked like ghosts. The timer went off and both boys looked at each other laughing hysterically.

Sungmin went to wash off his face while he ordered Donghae to get the pastry out of the oven. There was a sudden knock at the door and Sungmin turned off the water, heading to answer it.

“Hey Sungmin.”

Sungmin quickly slammed the door and leaned against it wide eyed.

“Who is it?” Donghae asked.

“Kyuhyun.” Sungmin whispered.

“Why is he here?” Donghae also lowered his voice.

“I don’t know!”

“Can I come in? It’s freezing out here.” Kyuhyun knocked again.

“J-Just a minute!” Sungmin called.

He ran into the kitchen and accidentally slipped on the flour that covered the floor. Donghae ran to help him and forgot he still had the pan of the pastry in his hands. He slipped as well making the hot pan crash to the floor as the pastries went to the ceiling and walls.

Upon hearing the loud crashing noise, Kyuhyun opened the door and looked around it. “Sungmin?”

Sungmin groaned and rolled over onto his stomach while Donghae turned his head to look at his best friend. Sungmin and Donghae’s eyes made contact and they burst out laughing again. Donghae sat up and so did Sungmin. They noticed the pan on the floor and Sungmin looked up only to be hit in the face by a pastry.

It stuck to his cheek and he looked back at his best friend who was a giggling mess at this point. Sungmin removed the sticky pastry from his face and laughed, “I don’t think they were done anyway.”

“What happened in here?”

Sungmin turned to face Kyuhyun while picking off bits of dough from his face. He sighed, “I was trying to make you Croquembouche.”

“Gesundheit.”

Donghae laughed even harder.

Sungmin helped himself up by grabbing a hold of the counter. He carefully walked toward Kyuhyun, “No, it’s a French cake. I wanted to make it for you to apologise for suddenly leaving you earlier.”

Kyuhyun laughed, “You don’t need to apologise. After you left, the nurse checked my vitals, found out I was good to go and set me free of that terrible hospital. Besides, I thought you were mad at me,” He pulled a box from behind his back, “so I made you muffins.”

Sungmin laughed also and took the box from him. Opening it, he noticed they were burnt. Kyuhyun held up his hands and Sungmin noticed the blisters on his palms and fingers.

“I set my oven on fire.”

Sungmin smiled sweetly at Kyuhyun, “Thank you.”

Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow, “For what? Almost burning down my apartment for you?”

Sungmin laughed again and set the box of burnt muffins down on his counter, “No, for trying.”

Kyuhyun’s face softened, “Thank you too.”

“Just kiss already.”

Sungmin turned around to look at Donghae. He picked up one of the burnt muffins and threw it at his best friend, hitting him in the head. “These make great baseballs.”

Donghae tried to stand up but slipped yet again making Sungmin laugh. He helped his best friend up and brushed off his shoulder.

“You’re a mess.” Sungmin giggled.

I’m a mess? Have you seen your hair? You look like Snow White.” Donghae joked.

Sungmin laughed and dusted off his hair, “We should probably go clean up.”

“I’m taking a shower first!” Donghae shouted as he tried to run toward the bathroom which only resulted in him slipping on the floor again.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

    Sungmin swept the floor while Kyuhyun helped clean the walls and ceiling stained with dough. Kyuhyun was staring down at the recipe that was covered in flour.

    “How do you even expect to try and make this?” Kyuhyun asked, making Sungmin stop sweeping.

    “It’s not too hard. You just have to know what you’re doing.” Sungmin replied.

    “This seems impossible.” Kyuhyun replied, “I can’t even make cereal without burning down the place.”

    Sungmin laughed and continued sweeping, “Well I can teach you.”

    “You’d actually teach me how to cook?”

    Sungmin looked up at him and noticed how close he was to Kyuhyun. The taller male was smiling and Sungmin replied, “Yeah, of course. If you really want to learn I’d love to teach you.”

    Kyuhyun dropped the recipe and pulled Sungmin in for a hug. Sungmin was shocked and dropped the broom. With his arms at his sides and his chin resting against the taller male’s shoulder, he stood confused.

    “K-Kyuhyun…” He said silently.

    “Thank you Sungmin.” Kyuhyun whispered.

    The two stood frozen together. Sungmin pressed against Kyuhyun’s chest while Kyuhyun held him tightly. Sungmin laughed awkwardly and pushed away from Kyuhyun carefully.

    “S-Sorry.” Kyuhyun said as he wiped his face with his sleeve.

    “A-Are you c-crying?” Sungmin questioned.

    Kyuhyun nodded slightly, “Y-You’re the only person who’s ever cared for me so much. Offering to teach me to cook, staying by my side when I’m hurt, you’re just… So nice to me.”

    Sungmin blushed and looked away from the other. Kyuhyun had a past that he wasn’t telling the other about and Sungmin was getting curious. He didn’t want to admit it but he wanted to know more about the other.

    “Kyuhyun, will you go out to dinner with me tonight?”

    Kyuhyun blinked a few times, “L-Like a date?”

    Sungmin blushed, “N-No, j-just as friends.”

    Kyuhyun laughed, “I know. It’s just fun making you blush.”

    Sungmin hit him playfully, “.”

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

    “You’re kidding?” Sungmin asked the taller male.

    “Nope. It really happened, swear on my life.” Kyuhyun held up his right hand.

    “You are something else Cho Kyuhyun, you know that?” Sungmin sat back in awe.

    Kyuhyun laughed, “Like you’re any better!”

    The two were at a fancy restaurant sitting across from each other. Sungmin had his white button up shirt on with black pants and a black tie on while Kyuhyun was sporting the same outfit, only difference being he was wearing a tan colored overcoat.

    “What is that supposed to mean?” Sungmin asked before taking a drink of the tasty red wine they ordered.

    “Come on Sungmin, you’re trying to impress a girl you’ve never even talked to by buying her something.”

    “So?” Sungmin asked, “You obviously know her, do you think she’ll like it?”

    Kyuhyun sighed, “I don’t know. I don’t really want to talk about her. She wasn’t really the best person on the planet.”

    Sungmin’s face soured at the taste of the cheap wine, “Well I think she’s wonderful.”

    “You haven’t said a word to her, how would you know?”

    “I thought you didn’t want to talk about her?”

    “Aish,” Kyuhyun sat back in his chair, “You’re right.”

    Sungmin laughed, “Got you.”

    Kyuhyun laughed also and scratched his nose, “.”

    Sungmin knew he was mimicking him and stuck out his tongue. The men’s food arrived and was set in front of them and they both looked at it with wide, happy eyes. The two began eating and were satisfied easily with their choices.

    “So what was it you were wanting to talk about last night?” Sungmin asked patting his mouth with his napkin.

    “I wanted to tell you that I bought you something and it should be arriving to your home soon.” Kyuhyun replied, accidentally spitting some of the food in his mouth out while trying to talk.

    Sungmin blinked a few times, “Don’t talk with your mouth full.”

    “Yes mother.”

    Sungmin rolled his eyes, “What did you get me?”

    “A coffee machine.”

    The smaller boy choked on his food, “What!?”

    Kyuhyun smiled, “You told me you didn’t have one, so I got you one.”

    Sungmin shook his head in disbelief, “You are seriously something else Cho Kyuhyun.”

    “Thank you.”

    “I want you to tell me something.”

    “What?”

    “What’s your story?”

    “Huh?”

    Sungmin smiled, “Everyone has a story of their past that made them who they are today, tell me yours.”

    Kyuhyun bit his lip and looked away, “I’d love to but not here.”

    Sungmin nodded in understanding.

    “But if you’re willing to join me at my apartment after dinner I’d be glad too.”

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

    Of course Sungmin agreed. He didn’t mind making new friends and Kyuhyun was one of them. Kyuhyun unlocked his door and the two entered together. Sungmin went to sit on the couch while Kyuhyun was in the kitchen fetching some drinks.

    “Thanks for joining me for dinner.” Sungmin said. “And paying.”

    “It’s the least I could do after making you burnt muffins.” Kyuhyun replied walking out with two glasses and a bottle of red wine.

    Sungmin rolled his eyes, “You can never have enough wine, can you?”

    “I have tequilla if that would be better?”

    Sungmin laughed and shook his head, “Wine is fine.”

    Kyuhyun sat down and poured both of them a glass. He pulled both his legs onto the couch and turned toward Sungmin who was sitting cross legged.

    “So what do you want to know?”

    “What are you willing to tell?” Sungmin retorted.

    “You’re witty,” Kyuhyun said spinning the wine around his glass, “I like that.”

    “Yeah, yeah.” Sungmin blushed.

    “Well, when I was little… No one really liked me.”

    Sungmin fakely gasped, “No!”

    “Shut up.” Kyuhyun glared making Sungmin laugh, “I used to live in Incheon for my elementary years. Those were the best four years of my life. By the time I hit fifth grade those, things changed drastically. I was bullied from then on and my parents were always by my side to help, until graduation day came. I was suited up in my cap and gown. As I walked across the stage to receive my diploma, I looked out into the crowd and noticed my parents were nowhere to be found.”

    Sungmin could tell he was getting teary but he wanted to know about him so he decided to stay quiet.

    Kyuhyun swallowed before continuing, “After the ceremony, I went to go look for my parents but was stopped by one of my teachers.” He took a deep breath, “My parents were murdered before the ceremony.”

    Sungmin placed his hand over his mouth, “Oh my god, Kyuhyun, I’m so sorry!”

    Kyuhyun laughed slightly, “I-It’s alright. The murderer was found.”

    “Well who was it?” Sungmin asked interested in the story.

    “My dad.” Kyuhyun replied, “It was ruled out as a murder-suicide.”

    Sungmin’s heart ached for Kyuhyun, “Wow, I’m so sorry.”

    “Don’t be, it’s not your fault. No one saw it coming.” He sniffled slightly remembering the past he wished to forget, “After my parents died, I started drinking more and more. I’m not an alcoholic, it just helps forget.”

    “No, I understand that.” Sungmin replied, “I did the same thing. After my mom died, I picked up drinking more too.”

    “What happened to her? If you don’t mind me asking.”

    Sungmin looked at the ground sadly, “Alzheimer’s disease.”

    Kyuhyun didn’t reply, he just nodded.

    “I was her caretaker from the day it started to the day she forgot who I was.”

    “She really forgot you?” Kyuhyun asked sadly.

    Sungmin nodded, “Yeah. I remember that day so vividly, I remember walking into her room and her screaming like no other. I called the police and she told them she didn’t remember me.”

    “That’s rough.”

    “After she passed, I did what I could to fill the empty place in my heart. I tried getting a dog, some fish, I even had Donghae spend the night at my house for a month but nothing helped.” He sighed and wiped his tears that had fallen. “S-Sorry.”

    Without a word, Kyuhyun hugged Sungmin. It was and awkward over the couch hug. Kyuhyun had pulled Sungmin into his lap and was hugging him tightly. He removed the wine from his hands and set it on the floor below them. Kyuhyun held the smaller boy close to his chest.

    “I don’t want you to be sorry about your past or mine.” Kyuhyun whispered to the crying boy.

    Sungmin calmed his crying, “I’ve never told anyone but Donghae.”

    “Thank you for sharing it with me.” Kyuhyun pet Sungmin’s hair lightly as he caressed the shorter boy’s back.

    Sungmin moved out of Kyuhyun’s hug and looked up at him, “You’re so caring for me, even though I’m an to you, why is that?”

    “You’re not an .” Kyuhyun smiled, “You’re the nicest person I’ve ever met.”

    Sungmin stared into his eyes. Kyuhyun’s eyes were full of truth and Sungmin didn’t know when or how it happened but he found his lips placed onto the taller male's lips. Once Sungmin realized what he had done, he quickly pulled back and covered his mouth with his hand, his heart beating a thousand beats a minute.

    “Oh my god.” Sungmin said, “I’m so sorry! I’m so so so so sorry!”

    Kyuhyun was breathless and had no words to say. He watched dazed as the boy in front of him collected himself.

    “I-I have to go.”

    Sungmin quickly stood but as did Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun grabbed Sungmin’s wrist and pulled him toward himself. Sungmin felt himself fall into Kyuhyun’s embrace and didn’t move. Sungmin’s hand rested calmly against Kyuhyun’s arm while Kyuhyun held him tightly. Sungmin’s heart was beating faster and faster as Kyuhyun held him but what Sungmin couldn’t understand was why his heart was beating so hard for a man he met a week ago.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N: Hey guys! Sorry I didn’t get to update yesterday! I lost my job recently and was out job hunting :P

Hey, good news, here’s a double update!! And Sungmin kissed Kyuhyun!!! :D Haha I hope you all are enjoying this story! I’m enjoying reading your comments! Haha(:

Thankyu to my commenters, readers, subscribers, and voters! I’ll see you all tomorrow!

Have a Kyumin-tastic day!(: