Day 19 - December 19th

Naughty and Nice

    “There’s gotta be some clues as to where he might have gone. No one just vanishes without a trace.” Donghae said as him and Sungmin stood in front of Kyuhyun’s old apartment.

    The two entered the house uninvited and took it upon themselves to snoop around for any clues as to Kyuhyun’s disappearance. Donghae searched through the notebook on the counter while Sungmin searched through the desk Kyuhyun had left. The drawers were filled with papers and Sungmin sat down in the chair, pulling out the papers one by one. He sifted through them until something fell onto the soft carpet, below.

    Sungmin leaned down and picked it up. It was an envelope, addressed to Kyuhyun. Sungmin bit his lip and contemplated about opening it. He looked over at Donghae who was sifting through a box that was left by Kyuhyun. Sungmin looked back at the envelope and took a deep breath before carefully opening it. The flap opened with no problem and Sungmin noticed a piece of notebook paper in the envelope. He carefully pulled it out and opened it. It read,

 

    Dear Kyuhyun,

        Son, I’m so sorry about everything I’m about to put you through. I didn’t want things to end up this way, ever. Your mom found out about my affair with Cho Hee. I know she’s heartbroken and has been trying to hide it for two weeks. I just can’t do it anymore. I’ve tried to bring it up to her and talk to her about Cho Hee but she never wants to talk about it. I can’t handle all this pressure anymore. Son, don’t ever end up like your father. I’m a terrible person and I’m sorry for everything. I want you to leave Incheon and head to Seoul. Live your life the way you want to. Congratulations on your graduation. Mom and I love you.

  • Dad

 

    “What’s that?”

    Sungmin looked up and sniffled after reading the depressing note, “I… I-I know where Kyuhyun is.”

    “Really? Where?” Donghae asked.

    Sungmin blankly looked at the floor, “Incheon.”

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

    Kyuhyun stared out the window at the snow that was falling to the ground and sighed. It was true, he hated December, he hated Christmas, and he for sure hated the snow but ever since meeting Sungmin, all those feelings have changed. He couldn’t believe one human being could change feelings so drastically in such a short amount of time.

    “You okay?”

    Kyuhyun blinked back to life and turned around to see Siwon standing there, “Y-Yeah, I’m fine. Just thinking.”

    Siwon walked toward his new friend and put his arm over his shoulder, “Ick, snow.”

    Kyuhyun turned his head, “What’s so bad about it?”

    “Everything.”

    Kyuhyun smiled slightly and looked back out the window, “I used to think the same thing. But they’re a lot like people-” Kyuhyun stopped himself, “No, they’re a lot like stars. Every drop of snow is like a tiny little star that touches the ground. Something for our eyes to see but something impossible to catch, something our hands shouldn’t hold.” Kyuhyun smiled at the memory of what Sungmin had said.

    Siwon raised an eyebrow, “Aish, you really have changed, haven’t you?” He patted Kyuhyun’s back before turning around and heading into the kitchen.

    “Maybe…” Kyuhyun looked back out at the snow, smiling happily, “Maybe.”

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

    “What are you waiting for?” Donghae asked.

    “What are you talking about?” Sungmin questioned.

    “Kyuhyun!” Donghae replied, “You have to go after him!”

    Sungmin shook his head, “No, Donghae. I can’t.”

    “Why not?” Donghae looked into his friend’s eyes, “If it’s love, why stop it?” Sungmin was quiet as he listened to his friend, “Look, Kyuhyun obviously feels something for you and you feel something for him whether you want to admit it or not. You need to go after him. You can’t just let him get away!”

    Sungmin snapped, “Has it ever occurred to you that the reason he left was because of me!?” He calmed himself, “Even if I did find him, I don’t even know what I’d say.”

    “Say the truth.” Donghae replied, “The only reason he left was because you told a lie. If you tell him the truth, it’s the only way you two can be happy again. I’m sick of seeing my best friend upset.”

    Sungmin sighed, “Maybe you’re right.”

    “So are you gonna go?”

    Sungmin looked at the ground, “I want to but money is kind of an issue.”

    Donghae thought for a moment, “Unless you use your savings.”

    The shorter boy looked back up, “My savings!? Donghae, that money is for Naomi’s necklace!”

    Donghae looked at him seriously, “It’s either Naomi or Kyuhyun. I’m not going to choose for you.”

    Sungmin bit his lip, “Alright…” He looked back up at his friend, “I’ll do it. It better be the greatest thing I’ve ever done though.”

    “I’m sure it will be.” Donghae replied with a smile.