Taeyeon's Birthday

Forbidden Kiss

 

Taeyeon sighed as she strolled toward the bus stop, muttering angry words under her breath, throwing glares toward the source of her anger.

 

The drop-dead handsome young man of seventeen swept by her on his motorcycle, purposely causing her skirt to fly up. She hastily patted her school uniform down and dashed to board the bus.

 

That darn stepbrother of hers always refused to give her rides to school.

 

Taeyeon uttered another sigh.

 

Ever since the Accident three years ago, everything about Yonghwa had changed. Though, true to the doctor’s word, he had never remembered Seohyun, it was as if somewhere deep in the abyss of his mind he had stored her away safely. There were moments where Taeyeon could swear that he was about to ask about Seohyun, but thought better of it and kept his mouth silent.

 

No longer was he the innocent boy he was.

 

He was the jjang of the school- he was constantly surrounded by beautiful girls who would kill to be his girlfriend or at least gain his attention. Yonghwa had turned into the world’s biggest player- he had a new girlfriend every day. And he was most definitely not a anymore. He got into fights everyday with the gangs from other schools, which he won of course.

 

Occasionally, however, Taeyeon got a sense that Yonghwa's heart still sought after Seohyun and that that was the reason behind the new-girlfriend-everyday routine, even if Yonghwa himself wasn’t aware of it.

 

Seohyun was the only reason why Taeyeon still had patience with him. He drove her positively insane.

 

He ignored her at school- they were not related, he said.

 

If Seohyun were here, perhaps things would be different. Scratch that, if Seohyun were here, things would be different. Yonghwa would behave like no other.

 

Seohyun… Taeyeon still missed her sister so much that at times it tore her apart. How was she doing? Was she eating well? Did her father treat her well?

Taeyeon had heard enough through the closed doors of her parent’s room to know that Seohyun's real father was loaded with cash- and several girlfriends.

Did Seohyun even think about her anymore?

 

Taeyeon trudged up the stairs to her class and plopped down into the seat. Yonghwa was probably skipping class today with his friends.

 

Yonghwa was the talk of the whole school. The guys looked up to him as a leader, the girls adored every step he took. And the punk knew it.

 

Was Seohyun sitting in school right now?

 

Was she learning the same things that Taeyeon was?

 

Taeyeon arrived home after school and tossed her bag onto her desk. Sighing, she completed her homework and meticulously cleaned her room, waiting for Yonghwa to arrive home as well. When the clocked tipped past five, she knew that Yonghwa wouldn’t come home until midnight.

 

Taeyeon's parents weren’t home. They were never home. Her stepfather, Yonghwa's real father, was constantly traveling due to work. Her mother was right beside him, offering him support while taking the opportunity to see the world. They were home for a week every three months, showering the stepsiblings with presents and allowance.

 

Her friends called her lucky.

 

They knew nothing of what it was like to arrive home to an empty house with a demonic stepbrother.

 

She sighed again.

 

She was sighing a lot today.

 

It was her birthday. She was seventeen.

 

It was also eight o’clock.

 

Taeyeon grabbed her keys, stuffed some money into her pockets, and decided to eat out for the night.

 

She left a note for her brother, knowing that it wouldn’t matter if either way. It was simply a kind gesture, because she knew that under the ice cold mask Yonghwa wore was a kind boy longing for the love of his life to return. He just didn’t know it.