You're Behind It

My Secret Texting Partner

Jun Hyung’s POV

 

Dear stranger, hang in there because all problems become smaller if you don't dodge them but confront them.

 

The words etched in my mind for really long. I just stayed still on my bed, thinking. It was impossible for my song to be exactly the same as the European song. I wrote the song back in 2006. The European song came out in 2010. I recollected back the past and tried to remember who ever heard of the song before.

 

Suddenly, an incident came into my mind.

 

 “Hey Jun Hyung, what are you doing?” One of my company’s songwriters came over to me when I was writing some lyrics on the paper.

I turned around and looked at me, “Oh hyung, I’m just writing down some lyrics…”

“Found an inspiration to improve the song you composed?” He asked with concern and started playing the guitar.

I nodded. He was the only one who knew about my songs. He was the main songwriter for BEAST. Thus, I shoved the paper where I wrote down the lyrics and notes for the song. He was an amazing songwriter and I wanted him to give me suggestions for it. “What do you think?” I asked him and perked my ears up so I won’t miss any of his comments.

He looked at it carefully and hummed the tunes out while playing it on his guitar, “Wow, Jun Hyung. It’s amazing. However I think you need to edit some notes to make it better. It’s okay. Can I have a copy of it so I can try to improve it for you?”

I was elated to hear that from a professional and hugged him, “Thanks hyung! Sure, make a copy of it.”

He photocopied my work and left the place. After that he really did made improvements on the song and I loved the edits that he made for the song. At that point of time, he left my group to focus on composing songs for 4 Minute instead.

 

Now it was 2011. I finally got the chance to showcase my talent to everyone. I showed the song that I composed and the boss was very proud of it. No one would think that it was ‘plagiarised’. Damn it. It must be hyung! No one knew about the song before!

 

I stood up from the bed and took the keys and left the house. I reached the company as soon as possible and barged into the studio. Hyung was standing there. He looked calm as if he was expecting my visit. I just glared at him and walked closer to him, “Tell me honestly, hyung. Did you have a part in this whole plagiarising issue? I swear with my life you are the only one who knew about the song few years ago. You know that I composed that song in 2006!”

 

He looked down and plopped down on his chair lifelessly, “I was hoping you wouldn’t remember that.”

 

“You were behind this? Why?” I asked him in desperation and grabbed his shoulders.

 

He removed his glasses and said, “That time when I had a copy of your song, the European music company came over to the studio for a music exchange. They chanced upon your work on the table and said that they wanted the song. They promised me that if I give them your song, I would have a chance to go Europe for music career. You knew it was my dream, Jun Hyung!”

 

I folded my arms, “But you’re still here.”

 

“They lied to me. They didn’t want to take me there. They just wanted your song. I didn’t dare to tell you the truth after that. I just kept it to myself. By the time, it was too late. You have already released the song to the press and I couldn’t stop the news from spreading. I’m sorry, Jun Hyung. I’m a coward for not telling you…”

 

I shook my head. I was confused. What should I do? I exhaled deeply and looked him in the eyes, “I’m sorry, hyung. I recorded all of your confessions on my phone. I’m telling the CEO…”

 

He looked up at me, shocked. He knelt down in front of me and begged, “Please no! Don’t tell the CEO! My career will be down the drain if you tell him everything. Please don’t…”

 

“So you rather risk my career than yours when it’s your fault?!”

 

“I’ll do anything, Jun Hyung!”

 

“There’s no need to.” A voice was heard behind me.

 

The CEO.

 

I knew it was the end of hyung. The CEO would never forgive him.

 

Days Passed

 

“I’m sorry, Jun Hyung. For doubting you,” The CEO apologised.

 

I smiled and said, “It’s okay. I understand your difficulties.”

 

“I have told the media about it and cleared your name. Now everyone knows that you’re innocent, Jun Hyung. And your song will not be banned.” The CEO explained to me.

 

My mood was very light again. Finally, the truth was out. I stepped out of the office and I saw my BEAST members waiting for me outside. I pretended to be angry at them and walked past them.

 

“Jun Hyung!” They cried out together as my back was facing them.

 

I stifled a laugh and turned around to stick out my tongue at them, “Meh-rong!”

 

“Hyung, you’re not angry at us?” Dong Woon asked me with confusion but he was smiling.

 

“Of course not. Why would I be angry with my brothers? Let’s go for dinner. I’m really hungry,” I said to them.

 

“I’ll treat!” Doo Joon initiated and everyone cheered in joy.

 

After the dinner, I was back on my bed again. I checked my Twitter and I got many positive comments as well as apologies from fans after the whole plagiarising issue was cleared up. Victory tasted sweet. And also, I couldn’t forget about one person. He/She’s no other than “My Secret Texting Partner”.

 

If not for her/him, I would be just cooping at home complaining about how my life and not do anything to prove my own innocence. I took out my phone once again and messaged her/him with enthusiasm.

 

Hello stranger, I wonder if you still remember me but today, I’m in a good mood because I overcame my obstacles with your help. I confronted my problem and it was solved today. I just needed to share with someone. Thank you once again, stranger.

 

I put down the phone, hoping this time she/he wouldn’t ignore my message.