Are We Friends

My Secret Texting Partner

Hae In’s POV

 

I pouted as Jun Hyung wouldn’t stop looking at me. I felt betrayed – again. “I can’t believe Jae Soon is you. I can’t believe you lied to me – again!” I argued with him, placing both my hands in my jeans’ pockets.

 

“Well, I didn’t really lie to you. My name used to be Jae Soon,” He chuckled, “My old name is all over the internet. You should really do more research on me!”

 

“That’s not the point!” I wished he didn’t change the subject as if I was telling him a joke. I was deadly serious here and here he was, playing with my feelings. I felt stupid.

 

“Hey, look. I didn’t know your name changed to Hailey, Hae In.” He was accusing me back now. Smart.

 

I glared at him, “I wasn’t lying. My English name is Hailey. My Korean name is Hae In.”

 

“I didn’t know you changed your job from a waitress in café to a photographer for 2PM,” He hit my weak spot right there. He found out I was lying to him about my occupation and I couldn’t deny it. I hid my face in my hair, hoping there was a hole that I could hide into. He laughed as he knew he was winning this argument, “I lied to you about my name and you lied about your occupation. We’re even now.”

 

“No, we’re not!” I retorted.

 

Jun Hyung sighed as he got a little impatient with my temper. He blocked my path as he stretched his arm until he was touching the trunk of the tree, “What do you want me to do? I’m also as shocked as you are! I only found out your identity last night, Hae In-ah.”

 

The way he called my Korean name was melting me. No one here called me by my Korean name because I rather people would stick to my English one. He saw my expression changing softly and he continued, “Before all these happened, we were on good terms. Now that we have exposed each other, I don’t find it an excuse for you to treat me differently.”

 

I gazed at his sincere eyes. He was a huge celebrity. I wasn’t in a position to talk to him like that. Besides, he saved my life last night. He interrupted my thoughts, “Besides, I technically saved your life last night.”

 

Holy, did he just read my mind?

 

I went under his arm and continued walking without waiting for him. Without turning around, I knew he was following me behind. I was walking straight until he cleared his throat. “What?!” I asked him.

 

“The way out is on the left,” He pointed the direction. I was slightly embarrassed and I followed him meekly and we stayed silent for the whole time.

 

Jun Hyung’s POV

 

What was she thinking? She didn’t even attempt to argue with me. I didn’t dare to say another word in case I jeopardised our friendship even further. I didn’t know why she was so angry with me! I was shocked at her real identity but I wasn’t angry or anything. I believed it was fate that brought us together again and again. However, she didn’t think so.

 

Thanks to me, we arrived outside the forest and my motorcycle was there. I took out my keys and the engine was . I was going to ask her to hop on but she continued walking on without saying anything. I rode the motorcycle slowly to keep up with her walking pace.

 

She was pouting again. I found that very cute. I waved my hand in front of her face and she flinched. “Hae In-ah, with your speed, you won’t be reaching home anytime soon. I’ll give you a ride.” I offered and hoping she would finally open up to me.

 

Like I expected, she refused and walked faster. I sighed. I didn’t know why I was even talking to her! I stopped my motorcycle in front of her desperately. She glared at me with her eyes again. I tried reasoning with her, “Why are you being like this? Why are you angry with me?”

 

“I’m not angry with you!” She argued.

 

“Then… why-“

 

“Look, Jun Hyung! I just realised that I have been texting Yong Jun Hyung from BEAST for almost half a year. I encourage a celebrity not to give up on life when his life is so much glamorous than mine and I told him everything about me, not knowing one day I would meet up with him in this pathetic state!” She blurted out but I was still confused why she was giving me the cold treatment!

 

“So?!”

 

“SO?! So I’m embarrassed, Jun Hyung! I’m very embarrassed! Don’t you get it?!” She admitted shyly. She finally gained back her senses and covered her face and ran away.

 

Wow, she’s embarrassed because of me? That’s new. I thought she wouldn’t feel the jitters around me. I caught up with her after getting off my motorcycle and grabbed her hand, “Hae In-ah!” She turned around and looked at me before looking away again. I spoke again, “There’s nothing to be embarrassed about. For me, I’m very glad that I’ve met you in person because you’re my motivator to do well in life. I don’t think our friendship would change because we know our identities. I hope it’s like this for you too.”

 

“Really?” She looked very innocent as she said that.

 

“Really,” I assured her, “Friends?”

 

She pondered for very long before giving me a warm smile, “Friends.”

 

We shook hands and I led her to my motorcycle to give her a lift home.

 

“Are we going to see each other again?” I didn’t know what made me say that but I was anticipating for her answer way too much.

 

“We will, if BEAST and 2PM’s schedules clash.” She answered simply as she removed the helmet from her head.

 

“Well, they are very lucky to have you as a photographer.” I commented honestly.

 

“Why?”

 

“Oh,” I was stuck, “You’re a great photographer.”

 

“Thanks.” She smiled warmly again. I should get used to her warm smile like this. She was about to go in but she turned around again, “Thank you for saving my life… Jun Hyung.”

 

I shooed her to go inside. My heart was pounding quickly when she called my name. I was already looking forward to seeing her again.

 

Was I falling for my secret texting partner?