oblivion

I spy, with my little lens

Light was painfully blinding me everytime I tried to open my eyes.Why was it so damn bright? I kept frowning, pulling one arm over my eyes, thus attempting the slightest movement which turned out to be more than my body could handle at that moment.

" Unnie." I felt a slight touch on my fingers. The person sqeezed my hand as if trying to reassure me of something."I'm here, you're safe now.Hold on, Ok?" she whispered moving away. 

The light became dim.I thought I heard her drawing blinds, but I couldn't be sure. 

" Where am I?" I finally managed to open my eyes. I felt so tired, even speaking was proving hard to do.My mouth was also dry, I felt like I ate a mouthfull of sand.

" You're in the hospital." a distant voice said." Want to try drinking some water?" a worried man asked, offering me a glass while pushing a button that put the bed into motion.I was slowly being pushed up the pillow in a sitting position.

" Jae Ri went to get the doctor." he answered seeing me looking around.

" Jae Ri?"

He seemed even more confused than I felt, a million questions written on his face. The next minute a trembling girl burst into the room trailing who seemed to be the just mentioned doctor.

"How are you feeling, Kim Chae Rin-shi?" he started pushing a bright light in my eyes,testing for whatever.I squinted. "It's not pleasant,I know.Just bare with me a little, ok?"he smiled appologetically."Do you remember what happened?"

I had to shake my head in denial. The girl was tearing softly beside me.

" You had an epylepsie seizure.For the time being things are gonna be in a haze,but you will recover just fine.Your friends here are gonna help you with gaining the memory back, Ok? I suggest you rest more the the next week; I take it you just finished your exams which might've taken a toll on you." the doctor explained. " I checked your record and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with  your prescriptions, so it's not too serious!"

" Not serious?" the guy exploded."She was unconscious! She doesn't even remember what..."

"It's not unusual for a patient with epylepsie. I guess you weren't aware of your girlfriend's condition?"

" She's...."

" If you have anymore questions I'll  be happy to oblige, but right now I need to check on other patients. You can come later to my office. I'll leave you on good hands." he smiled again at me."I'm afraid you're stuck with us tonight."

" Thank you." the girl bowed."We promise to behave, doctor Choi."

" Don't try your tricks on me, missy! I know where to find you if you disobey." he half warned.

"Eyy, you know I never did that.But, can the others visit shortly?"

" Not for too long, Chae Rin is still recovering"

"I know, thank you." she stormed after him.

I was left with my knight in shining armour for a bit. He helped me get that much needed drink and I sighed loudly.It was so refreshing! I gulped the last bit, almost chocking on it; my memory seemed to make its way back to me,  whirling all sorts of images in my head.

"Uhm, did you, by any chance... kiss me?" I asked in confusion. He just stared at me,  not revealing any emotion. Which was more than I could say about Jae Ri and another slightly familiar boy who entered the room just as I dropped the bomb.

"What? When?"

" The hell, Gyu,when did you two..."

" I didn't kiss you!" He finally said.I had a feeling he was trying to emphasize on something important, but right then I wasn't at my best.

" Sorry, it's all a blurr now.Just wanted to get that off the list." 

" Unnie, did you start remembering?" Jae Ri approached me.

" Apparently not. The good news is I know who you are now."

" I'd kill you if you ever completely forgot about me." she hugged me so tight I was barely breathing.

" Are you better, now?" two other boys neared  my bedside.

" I should be asking you that." I said, looking at one of them in particular.

" Yah, I guess, but you're the one...."

"Eyy, that was nothing! Sorry for worrying everyone,"

" Maybe we should let her sleep it off, huh Woohyun?" 

"Yes, Dongwoo is right.Don't strain yourself." my knight said. "We'll see you in  the morning."

" I'll see you to the door, guys."Jae Ri played the perfect hostess.

One of them just stood motionless, unblinking.And finally I had my first real recollection of the last minutes before I passed out.I must've scared him the most;him ,who understood me without so much a word said, him ,who could see so much more through the lens of his camera.Him, whom I locked eyes with just before I cried my last self conscious thought. L.

" Are you coming, L?" Sunggyu called after him.

" I'll be fine." I assured him with a small smile." Sorry."   I trully was sorry for scaring the out of him, them all together.

His worried crease slowly faded from his forehead, before flicking my own.

"You should be." 

I pressed on it, trying to ease the pain when I caught a glance at Sunggyu.He seemed really affected by our closeness.Didn't he get it, we weren't engaging in anything remotely close to romance?! How could I've explained it to him in a way to make myself understood? Why did I feel the need to do that? The more I looked at him, the more I was convinced he lied about us kissing. I knew he was reffering to what I pointed back at the dorm.But when I asked him if he ever kiss me I had a totally different image  in my head.One in which he was placing heat patches on my shoulder that morning, before he put those earplugs in my ears, thanking me with a chaste kiss on my cheek for caring out for him.

" Hope you feel better." he said closing the door behind him.

"Coward." I muttered.