Left Path

My Princess's Servant

The wind billowed the hanging edges of Tavia's dress. Inhaling, what seemed to be the cold and emotionless air, Tavia finally opened her eyes. She gasped. It wasn't the realisation that she was still, miraculously alive but the sight she was seeing. The sun was rising, casting a thin ray yellow and orange onto the buildings of the town. The sight amazed her, a particular spot shined silver. Tavia leaned forward, was it that phantom girl in her dream. She was absorbed by the glint, till a pair of arms entangled onto her waist.

"NO. NO. NO."

Tavis spun around, or rather, she fell from the small ledge she was standing upon. It took moments for her to figure out what was happening. Her body shivered at the human warmth imposed onto her own body. Tears were threatening to spill from the tips of her newly born eyes. "Rainie," she said in a angelic voice.

Rainie took Tavia into a strong embrace. Her emotions at it's limit. "TAVIA. Your awake. Finally, you-your here. Oh god, please, please, please don't leave like that, please don't seek death. I beg you, never again..."

Tavia soothed Rainie. Her senses, everything, be it the heartbreak from Raymond killing her or the queer in meeting that girl, who wished to be saved, it was clear, her path was marked out for her. "Rainie, I don't have time for any emotional comfort. I need to go to the monster world as quick as possible. It's the only way forward, to save everyone."

At the point that Rainie was to respond, the door crashed open and a impatient Mike his lips. Jiro stood next to him, arms folded.

Rainie and Tavia both nodded. They were going to go, for a reason yet to be uncovered.

XXX

Cat Idol stared at the mass of corpse lying before him. The energy he obtained was none like ever before. The amount was over-satisfying and Genie was amused. "Good work," she said, her voice full of excitement. "Now we wait for Jiro to lead our prey."

"I'm tired."

Genie studied Cat Idol. She gave a grunt, her mood obviously ruined. There was a hint of deep regret in her tone as she spoke to the mindless slave she created, "Do as you please. I'm quite happy tonight."

Cat Idol took his steady leave. He had no perspective of things but the fact that Genie was his master. Her words was law to him. Even so, he was curious about his master. The fact that she absorbs human energy means Genie should be getting stronger. What Cat Idol senses, is slow rotting, a negative force from Genie, as if she was slowly dying. It was certainly the case and when she dies... what is he?

XXX

Tavia, Mike, Rainie and Jiro stood at the crossroads. Mike had explained, since he wasn't usually needing to go back to the monster world, he hasn't been to the portal for years. According to information they collected, the portal had changed position. Now the group was relying on vague luck and error and correction. They had took two wrong turns already before now reaching another decision. To take the left or right path.

Mike cleared his throat. "It's has to be the right. The directions say turn right after 6 turns. This is the sixth turn."

Tavia started her way towards the right. "It seems to extend to the forests. I'm guessing it's a logical location for a portal."

Mike nodded, "That's very pre-"

"Precise. Humans don't know anything about monsters or weird stuff. The fact that Mike and Ray-... appear from coins is supernatural. The connection must be hidden if no humans know but birds and animals," Rainie finished.

Jiro chuckled, "yeah and it'd probably looked weird to other people when we were talking to birds, asking for directions to a portal."

"I'd talk to a stone if it can allow me to get there and save my family," Tavia chirped in too suddenly. "I mean, we should go. It's the right."

Mike put away the sheet of paper with directions scribbled on. The three began to make their way down the right path.

Jiro didn't follow. "It's too logical. Monsters aren't like humans. Such thinking is proabably wrong."

Mike, Rainie and Tavia turned to stare at Jiro. They said in unison together, "The left path."

Jiro grinned. He gestured for the three to move towards the left path. "I'm pretty certain, the left is correct. I've recently used the portal and know it's exact location."

Tavia bit her lips. "If you knew then why-"

"I only recognised the path half way. Besides, I found it amusing to see Mike trying to talk softly to birds." Jiro gave a shrug after his explanation.

"But the birds said-"

"Forget the birds. They are the most brainless ones amongst our society. Isn't that right Mike?"

Mike sighed. "Yeah, Jiro has a valid point about birds. But to take the left?"

Jiro tapped his foot. "Come on, don't you trust me over some birds?"

Mike did a weird gesture and went to stand beside Mike.

Rainie gave a grim smile and followed Mike, "It should be alright Tavia. I mean Jiro, of course we trust you more than a bird."

There was seconds of silence before Tavia surrendered to the majority and took the left path. Her conscience, however had been warning her of this decision. She was thankful that Jiro had gave her the special medicine, saving her life. But her newly developed sharp sense after close encounter with death told her, she was heading towards her second.

Tavia was right. The street lamps of the left path started flickering and a familiar voice growled. "We meet again..."