[X V I I I]

The Dead Wayfarers

Yongguk entered the room where Kyungsoo was sitting on the ground leaning against his bed, staring at the bats. Yongguk sat on the latter's bed and exhaled sharply, "Kyungsoo, Yoo Jung and Jun Gyu prepared lunch for us. Why don't you come down and join us?" 

"Is that woman awake yet?" Kyungsoo asked, ignoring Yongguk's invitation. Yongguk sighed. 

"Not yet, but when she's awake we'll ask her. And then we'll find Seungho wherever he may be." 

Kyungsoo shook his head and Yongguk was caught off guard by his reaction. "Why are you shaking your head?" Yongguk asked softly. 

"I miss him.... I miss my brother but.... What if he looks like them?" Kyungsoo asked as his voice crack. Yongguk knew he was about to cry. It was difficult to see Kyungsoo like that everyday, especially when Yongguk wasn't used to comforting men who cries. "If Seungho looks like them.... I don't want to see someone smash his head into pieces.... Or...." Kyungsoo broke down before he could continue. 

Yongguk moved down to sit beside him and wrapped an arm around his shoulders, "Seungho is alive, I know he is. Even if he's the only man on earth, he'll live. Seungho will come back to you Kyungsoo. You'll see him again, not as one of them but as one of us." Yongguk said gently. Although he tried to comfort the younger and smaller man, his deep voice wasn't making it as easy as he wanted to comfort the man. 

IjzbsQ5z3BfxsSlhgq_hHV0Ankeh0gm0ZVLwCkrQ

Yoo Jung wiped CL's cold sweat as she lied on the bed in the master room. Hyori crossed her arms as she stood near the foot of the bed. She hummed to break the ice in the room, "I wonder how she got Seungho's bat. Did she meet Seungho?" Hyori asked herself but it was loud enough for Yoo Jung to hear as well. 

"Whether she did or didn't, we'll have to wait for her to wake up. It's so heartbreaking to see Kyungsoo like that without his brother...." 

"You, do you like Seungho by any chance?" Hyori asked and Yoo Jung froze. She paused and her hand with the wet ragged stopped moving. She slowly spun her head toward Hyori's direction and noticed she was wearing a poker face. One that can't be easily made out. "Well?" She asked and Yoo Jung slowly went back to cleaning CL's face. 

"No.... I don't like him." Yoo Jung denied, Hyori was no longer in the mood to hang around her and left with her boots clicking against the wooden tiles. 

IjzbsQ5z3BfxsSlhgq_hHV0Ankeh0gm0ZVLwCkrQ

Jun Gyu was wiping the fruits with a wet rag while Zelo tried to pop the cans open with a can-opener. Zelo struggled to open a can of corn and angrily pushed the can away and drop the can-opener. He groaned aloud and caught Jun Gyu's attention. "What's wrong?" He asked and Zelo exhaled before walking over and wrapped his arms around Jun Gyu. 

The older man flinched at the sudden embrace and he became flustered. "Hey what are you doing?!" He asked in a whisper which sounded like a hiss. Zelo kept his hands locked around the man and sighed. 

"Jun Gyu, don't you miss Seungho?" 

Jun Gyu sighed, "Of course I do you punk." 

"It's weird.... We just met but he really reminded me of my members...." Zelo sighed heavily before hiding his face into Jun Gyu's jacket over his shoulders. Zelo was a lot taller than Jun Gyu and he had to bent over a little in order to rest his head against the man. 

The elder smelled like metal and dust. 

The same smell as his group's domicile months ago. 

IjzbsQ5z3BfxsSlhgq_hHV0Ankeh0gm0ZVLwCkrQ

About three months ago Seungho woke up to the screaming of his parents and Yesung's family. It lasted for twenty minutes. Through all the murderous cries, groanings, and screaming, Seungho could only pick up one line. 

"Seungho! Kyungsoo! Stay in your rooms!" 

And it was Yesung's voice. The crying of his nephew too was a strong sound in the background of all the noises. 

Seungho covered his ears with both hands, so hard that the metal brand of his watch cut the side of his head and blood slide down his face. Once the chaos quiet down Seungho slowly removed and dropped his hands, he took a step toward the door and placed his hand on the doorknob. He was afraid to see what happened. Afraid to see what was going on. Afraid to find out. 

Seungho sat on the floor and leaned against the door until sunrise hit his window. Seungho stood up, his legs were weaked after sitting for so long, he pulled himself up using the knob. Then slowly he opened the door, in the hall leading to the living room he could see zombies wandering around slowly. 

He shut the door and looked around for anything to use as a weapon; a black pen was the only thing he could find. Seungho came out from his room and tip-toed to his left, deeper into the hallway. He stopped before Kyungsoo's room and before he could open the door, a zombie came at him from the master room. 

Seungho stabbed the pen through his head and kicked the dead back. Then he grabbed the doorknob and turned it, luckily no one in the house ever lock their bedrooms' doors when they sleep except for Seungho. Seungho shut the door and leaned against it, breathing heavily. He could feel his body shaking from being jumped. 

But across the room, a peaceful Kyungsoo was lying asleep helplessly. Seungho could slightly hear music coming from the latter's earpieces. It was the song he had given Kyungsoo and in Kyungsoo's clutched palm was his mp3. Then a loud thud bang against the door and Seungho moved away from it, he walked over and removed the plugs from Kyungsoo's ears. 

"Kyungoo, Kyungsoo get up." Seungho whispered in a hush. "Kyungsoo!"

Seungho opened his eyes and across from him was the same scene, same smell, and he was still in the same position. Seungho sat upright and landed his boots against the stoned floor. The food they had stacked before running off was still there, Seungho got up and walked over to grab himself a canned of green beans. 

He popped the lid open after hitting the top with a hammer on the shelf. It used to be Kyungsoo and his can-opener. Seungho downed the whole can as if he was drinking water, once he was done he dropped the can on the ground and headed back to the couch. 

He lied down and folded his arms while staring at the ceiling. 

A minute later he shut his eyes and fell into a slumber again. 

IjzbsQ5z3BfxsSlhgq_hHV0Ankeh0gm0ZVLwCkrQ

Yongguk was sitting on the bed, overwatching CL as Yoo Jung wiped CL down again. It was dark out already and CL has been asleep for the whole day. She didn't have a fever or appeared sick. Yoo Jung finished and dropped the rag into the water bowl then she turned to Yongguk for answers. "Is Kyungsoo doing better?" She asked, Yongguk detached his eyes from CL and face the younger girl. 

"Yes, he's sleeping now after some snacks. Don't worry." Yongguk replied with a smile, a smile that was so warm and bright. Yoo Jung couldn't help but returned a soft smile. 

"That's a relief." She concluded and he nodded with the smile still stamped on his face. "And...." Yoo Jung trailed off when she couldn't bring herself to speak to him. Yongguk waited for her to finish, curiousity marked all over his face. 

"Yes?" He finally asked when she wasn't about to continue. 

"Thank you...."

"For what?"

"Carrying me here....And taking care of me when I was sick...." 

Yongguk recalled carrying Yoo Jung all the way from the restaurant to their new place. His smile grew and more of his gum were revealed, "It's was nothing. I'm glad you're healthy and better now." Yongguk reassured her and she smiled once more. This time her eyes grew small and her smile bigger. 

Then CL begin coughing and they hurried and hurdled around her. Yongguk leaned over her a little while Yoo Jung stood beside the bed. "Are you alright miss?" Yongguk asked after seeing her eyes opened. CL's vision was blurry but she was relieved when she didn't hear any zombie-like noises. 

"W-water...." CL said in a husky yet low voice. Yongguk turned to Yoo Jung who nodded and quickly left the room to retrieve a glass of water for her. CL tried to sit up but she felt weak and dropped against the bed. Yongguk placed both hands around CL's arms. 

"Let me help." He said and slowly pulled her up into a sitting position, right when Yoo Jung entered with a glass of water and handed it to Yongguk. Zelo and Jun Gyu rushed in to see CL drinking the glass of water. She was shaking and they could see the water rushed from one side of the cup to the other. 

After lowering the empty cup, Yoo Jung took it from CL. She was breathing heavily after gulping down water without taking a breath of fresh air. She leaned back and felt better, slowly recovering. 

Kyungsoo came into the room and pushed his way in. Everyone turned their attention to him while his alone was on CL, piercing through her. 

IjzbsQ5z3BfxsSlhgq_hHV0Ankeh0gm0ZVLwCkrQ

Seungho opened the door to the first floor and slowly made his way up. He looked around once more and noticed it was already midnight. The moon was full and through the window on the lawn, he could see wayfarers making their way around the neighborhood.

CL was really gone, he still couldn't believe it. 

Seungho stepped infront of Mark's dead body. He picked the light body up in bridal's style and laid his body on the couch in the living room. Seungho placed Mark's raw hands over his other and looked into Mark's bloody face. He then stood up and took a step back, from the bird-eyes-view Mark appeared to be a decent human being resting on the couch. 

But from Seungho's position, he was no more than a dead friend. Seungho sat on the coffee table in the center and could see Mark's lying body, he exhaled deeply. 

IjzbsQ5z3BfxsSlhgq_hHV0Ankeh0gm0ZVLwCkrQ

Meanwhile Zelo and Jun Gyu was trying to calm Kyungsoo down outside the room. They each held around Kyungsoo's arms as he struggled to break free. "Let go of me! I need to ask her where Seungho went!" 

"H-hey! Kyungsoo calm down!" Zelo raised his voice a little but Kyungsoo ignored him. The latter kept screaming his lungs out. 

In the other room Yongguk pulled the cover over CL as she became unconcious. "Keep watch over her." Yongguk said and Yoo Jung nodded with a worried expression on her face. 

"Please comfort Kyungsoo." She pleaded quietly and Yongguk nodded. 

Yongguk opened the door and could see Jun Gyu and Zelo pulling Kyungsoo away and restraining him. Yongguk shut the door and finally Jun Gyu and Zelo released Kyungsoo and he ran over to Yongguk. He grabbed Yongguk by the shirt and his voice was husky as he had been screaming and yelling. "Wake her up! Why are you letting her sleep all day?! Wake her up so I can find Seungho! Yongguk!" 

Yongguk grabbed Kyungsoo's hands that had began twisting into fists with his shirt. "Tomorrow Kyungsoo. Just wait until morning, this time I'll really-"

"NO! You said we'll find him today no matter where he may be! You lied to me!" 

"Kyungsoo! Control yourself!" Yongguk grabbed Kyungsoo by the arms this time and ripped him away from him. "Until morning please! I only need morning and then we'll go look for Seungho! So please control yourself." Yongguk said as he looked into the shorter man's eyes. "I promise." 

Kyungsoo bit his lips, he really wanted to believe Yongguk. He really do. 

"Alright?" Yongguk asked softly. A drop of tear ran down Kyungsoo's face, he didn't reply and instead wrapped his arms around Yongguk. Without any warning he broke into tears and a heart-wrenching bawl. Zelo and Jun Gyu watched from the back, their eyes watery as well and they were trying their best to keep their tears in.

Yoo Jung covered as she weeped from behind the door as well. 

Kyungsoo's cry was contagious. 

And so the whole crew cried together that whole night.

While Hyori listened and observed carefully on the first floor. 

IjzbsQ5z3BfxsSlhgq_hHV0Ankeh0gm0ZVLwCkrQ

End of Chapter 18.