[X I I I]

The Dead Wayfarers

-Back in the gym, five months ago - three months before the outbreak-
"Now, who knows what WWIV stand for?" Sergeant asked the large crowd. It looked like time froze when no one seemed to be moving, instead their sharp gazes were glued on the older man. "No one knows?" He asked and then a student raised his hand, he took a shot when the man gave him the cue to answer. 

"Isn't it obviously World War four?"

Some students expressed an amazed awe giving the man much approval. 

"And what is World War four purpose?" Sergeant Cha questioned silencing the whole gym, "And if the question is 'are we at war with another country?' then the answer is, yes." Students begin chattering among themselves when most were surprised and lost by the answer. The latter waited for the students to quiet down before he proceed. "But that's not the purpose of this program." He started off, plastering clueless expressions onto the students face, "Because everyday we're in a war, whether it's a war to get out of bed, a war while waiting in line to order food because you're starving but the old lady in the front won't get a move on."

Students laughed at his humor, "Or a war against diarrhea." Earning more laughs, "We'll always be in a war. So, this program isn't to bring everyone here due to personal war or world war events. It's a war against diseases and" Sergeant Cha looked right into Seungho's eyes, "ignorance."

Mark noticed their tense exchanged of eye contacts; he pouted a litle while lost in thoughts. 

Sergeant Cha had his hands hidden behind his back when a man ran in and handed him a bag of small items. Then once the man left after handing it to Sergeant Cha, the tall and older latter held it up. "First, if you don't think you can handle a war against disease then leave now." He said but when no one left he smiled, "Then, let's get started."

"Your task is to put these little boxes around the city of Seoul, no one can know where they are and you definitely can't forget where you put yours." He handed the bag over to one of the student in the front, "Grab one and pass the bag around. Also I highly recommend putting them outside near the front of your house. But it's yout choice."

Sergeant Cha stated, "This will be your first mission given by WWIV. You're all now permanent soldiers to this program, the next meeting will be in three days, same time and place. Then, good luck." He said as he exit the building before everyone. 

Mark was playing with his and Seungho's black box as the two walked over to the bike rack. "Strange, what exactly are these?" Mark asked to no one in particular as he keep covering them with his eyes, trying to see if it was some sort of camera or had any on button. "Seungho, where are you going to put yours?" Mark asked and Seungho stopped in his tracks, causing Mark to stop as well. "What?"

"Isn't it weird? Disease, what and which disease was he talking about?" Seungho asked softly more to himself but Mark heard him and sighed. 

"I'm sure he'll tell us when we have our next meeting, let's go." Mark said as he jogged toward the two bikes that were parked and locked at the far end of the bike rack. He unlocked the locked around a blue bike with blue flames as designs, then got on and waited for Seungho to unlock his black bike. "Hurry, hurry!" Mark demanded as he was ready to leave. 

IjzbsQ5z3BfxsSlhgq_hHV0Ankeh0gm0ZVLwCkrQ

Seungho kicked red wooden door down and dust fogged the entrance. In Seungho's left hand was his bat while CL held Mark's and was just a few steps behind him. Inside the building, opened cans and food was poorly piled on the kitchen's counters and some appeared to be new; just opened. 

Aside from the messy kitchen the house was rathered quiet and organized. 

CL slowly entered when Seungho finally took a few steps passed the door. She shut the door while Seungho began wandering the house as if he owned it. CL just looked over the pile of food, she was starving and a bag of veggie sticks caught her attention. She set her bat down on the spared space on the counter and opened the bag then munched down the flavored snacks.

Seungho opened the door to a room covered with trophies earned from sports and good grades. He noticed a rolled up blue blanket lying on the low bed; he knew the blanket. It was Mark's favorite when Yesung gave it to him for his 18th birthday.

Before Mark was Seungho's closed friend, he was Kyungsoo's and Yesung's friend. But after attending College with Seungho they became inseparable.

Some time when Seungho returned to the living center of the room he saw CL digging through the pile of trash. Seungho's movement made her jump when she finally noticed him from the corner of her eyes. "Oh you scared me!" She said aloud with a hand over her chest to calm herself down. 

Seungho moved to the living space which had one couch that could seat two and a broken television. Mark wasn't here, he told himself. 

"They will come for you."

"And when they do, even your family won't be safe."

"So whatever happen, protect them."

"Or you will be alone."

"When they find you."

It was the last words Mark had warned him on the night of the attack. After that night, whatever happened to Mark, Seungho wasn't sure. A month ago Seungho stopped by Mark's home but he wasn't there, even the house itself looked deserted. Since then, Seungho stopped looking for a while and focused on keeping Kyungsoo safe. 

Seungho recalled his handphone on his desk kept flashing so he got up to check it, and those were the five sentences he received from Mark before the streets of Seoul turned into a battle of cries.

Seungho remembered it well, when unfamiliar s were passing by his room and down the hall, when his parents shockingly cries woke Yesung and then killed his family. How the dead came in just in time to kill his family. Seungho knew how and why. 

Of course he knew.

He invited them in, himself. 

IjzbsQ5z3BfxsSlhgq_hHV0Ankeh0gm0ZVLwCkrQ

Yongguk watched from behind in surprised, thinking it was Seungho. But the clothes and body figure shaped nothing like Yoo Seungho. 

"Mark! Mark!" Kyungsoo cried as he hold the man's body near him. There was a bloody bruise on the side of Mark's head and half of his face was painted with his own puddle of blood. Kyungsoo shook the latter a few times but he laid motionless. "Yongguk help me." Kyungsoo said turning his head a little toward the man by the door.

"Huh? Oh!" Yongguk snapped out of his thoughts and moved beside Kyungsoo, the man appeared dead. Yongguk placed a two fingers under Mark's nose to check for any signs of breathing. "Oh! I think he's still alive, here." Yongguk pulled Mark closer to him and then lean the man's body over his shoulder as he wrapped his arms around the unconcious latter. 

They rested him on the bed in the master bedroom as Kyungsoo headed back into the bathroom and grabbed a towel, then he wet it with cold water and hurried back and wiped the blood and sweat from Mark's exhausted face.

Yongguk was on the opposite side of the bed as he watched in silent. Seungho wasn't there but this strange man, not to mentioned the chopped up zombie on the eating table in the dining room. Yongguk could hear Kyungsoo's heavy and worried panting along with his alien mumblings. Kyungsoo's hands were shaking as he wiped down his friend.

Night was closing in and Yongguk began worrying about Zelo, Jun Gyu, and the exact whereabouts of Seungho. 

IjzbsQ5z3BfxsSlhgq_hHV0Ankeh0gm0ZVLwCkrQ

Zelo shot a walking dead right in the head and Jun Gyu patted him on the back, to show that it was a nice shot. Zelo and Jun Gyu entered a tiny one-floored restaurant. Upon arriving, they took two shoulder bags that were hanging in a small thief store after entering and exiting through the broken glass window. 

The two bags were now fully packed by Jun Gyu who was behind the counters. He threw in whatever was edible and usable - from untensils to food. 

Zelo kept a good watch for any zombies that were coming out from behind the back of the kitchen and killed two who must have been customers before; a woman and an older woman in a gown. Zelo headed over to the body trampled on the floor and slowly pulled his arrow out from its head. He wiped the blood and leftovers on the table cloth then dropped it behind him, in its case. 

"Are you ready?" Zelo asked the older man who let out a chuckle. 

"We have to make sure we have enough to keep us company." Jun Gyu said as he continued opening cabinets after cabinets. Zelo relaxed on the high chair near the counter and sighed. From behind the curtain a female zombie was slowly approaching them, making no noise. 

Zelo who was spacing out toward the front didn't noticed her. She walked with a tug and her feet were pointed inwards, her face covered with her long black hair. Jun Gyu hummed himself a trot as he closed empty cabinets, then as he turned around the woman's face was just a few inches from him when she moaned aloud and opened her jaw. Jun Gyu yelped and with great strenght he was able to pushed her over right when she almost bit him.

The yelped woken Zelo and he spun his upperbody around from across the counter and the next thing he noticed, Jun Gyu was beating something on the ground. Zelo hopped off immediately and circled the counters to where Jun Gyu were, he spotted Jun Gyu stepping on the zombie as it moans and groaned. 

Zelo quickly pulled out his arrow and rushes over; he kneel beside the head of the zombie and stabbed it right through the skull with the arrow, stopping it from moving. Jun Gyu's mouth was shaped as an egg as he released a fearful whimper and Zelo stood up and he too was panting. 

"A-are you alright?" Zelo asked with an eye closed, his legs were shaking and the feeling was deja vu. He felt what he felt weeks ago, when his gang were infected and killed one by one. 

"Yeah, I'm alright." Jun Gyu said looking down at the horrifying features of the dead woman. Then he shut his eyes and turned away when it wasn't a pretty sight. 

"Let's head back." Zelo started when the two had caught their breaths. But the front door flew open and caught their attention. 

"Well hello strangers." An unfamiliar voice greeted. It was a tall man with straight hair and sharp features. His eyes were dark ores and his thick eyebrows gave off a dangerous impression. Worst part, he wasn't alone when two others joined him, and each had guns in their hands. The man was probably Zelo's height, but from Jun Gyu they were all just annoyingly tall. 

A skinner man, about their height, were standing to the man's left while a beautiful woman in a tight black dress stood to his right. 

Jun Gyu sighed. 

And of course, she's tall too.

IjzbsQ5z3BfxsSlhgq_hHV0Ankeh0gm0ZVLwCkrQ

Seungho and CL were walking in a slow pace as they headed back. CL were a few steps late from Seungho's, and beside him, she watched for any change of emotions. But the latter showed no emotions.

The streets were rather quiet and not a single zombie was in sight. However, something was strange to Seungho. In front of a restaurant was a car parked with its  toward Seungho and its engine still on. Then gun shots were heard coming from inside of the building. 

IjzbsQ5z3BfxsSlhgq_hHV0Ankeh0gm0ZVLwCkrQ

End of Chapter 13.