[X V I]

The Dead Wayfarers

Back at the safe house, Zelo and Jun Gyu were beginning to get worried when Yongguk and Kyungsoo haven't returned. It has already been a whole night since there were no signs of them, and slowly the day was approaching noon. 

Zelo shot up from his seat on the couch, "We have to go out and look for them. I can't wait any longer!" 

"You want to go out there and die? You two took a long time to make it back yourselves and you even claimed Jun Gyu almost died. And now you want to go out there again just because your friends might not come back?" 

"They're not just our friends! They're our best friends, brothers, family! I know you don't care since you're not close to them, but don't forget that it was Yongguk who took you in! And since he's not here, you should be worried because you never know if I'll kick you out or not." Zelo said in a cold tone and stared at the woman with an intense look. 

She crossed her arms and did not continue. 

Jun Gyu just watched quietly, along with Yoo Jung. When something caught her eyes, "They're back!" Yoo Jung said in a surprisingly loud voice. Everyone turned toward the front door, through the window they could see Kyungsoo and Yongguk shutting the gates. Zelo immediately walked over and pulled the front door open. 

"Yongguk!" He called with a relieved face, Yongguk turned toward the call and smiled revealing his gums. He waved toward the young man by the steps. As Kyungsoo and Yongguk came closer, Zelo jumped into Yongguk's arms while Jun Gyu greeted Kyungsoo with a wide smile and patted him on the back. 

"You did well coming back." Jun Gyu smiled and Kyungsoo smiled a little. 

"He didn't come?" Everyone turned toward Yoo Jung who had asked the question while standing near the door, still. Zelo moved to Yongguk's side as the four faced her. When she thought her question wasn't cleared, she asked again, "Yoo Seungho.... He didn't come?" She asked. Zelo and Jun Gyu turned to Yongguk for an answer. 

"He... wasn't at their old house." Yongguk passed on the bad news and everyone grew sour. But Jun Gyu wanted to keep the mood bright.

"It's alright, Seungho must be hiding somewhere. Let's all hurry in, you two must be hungry." Jun Gyu suggested, and slowly they moved in, in a single filed line. 

IjzbsQ5z3BfxsSlhgq_hHV0Ankeh0gm0ZVLwCkrQ

Seungho watched as Mark approached him. He noticed the wound on Mark's head and half of his face was gone. It was ripped and eaten by the invading wayfarers. CL examine from the side, she thought the situation was strange when the look of a heartless soul was completely gone from his eyes. Instead, they were replaced with remorseful and sadden eyes. 

Seungho clutched the handle of the knife and his eyes became watery. Mark's steps were light and short, just like how he was when he was still human. Seungho's gazed directly into the foggy and soulless eyes of Mark's. They weren't responding, Mark didn't see Seungho. He saw food. 

When Mark was closed enough Seungho stuck the knife through the wound on the side of Mark's head, and let him collapsed on top of the other unknowns. Seungho clentched his teeth as he dropped to his knees beside Mark, he placed a hand on Mark's shirt near his collar and made a fist with it. 

No word came from Seungho, but he did sobbed. 

And they were loud and heartwrenching sobs. 

IjzbsQ5z3BfxsSlhgq_hHV0Ankeh0gm0ZVLwCkrQ

In front of Yongguk and Kyungsoo, Zelo dropped a bowl of mixed canned fruits. "Enjoy!" He said with a happy face then spun on his heels and headed back into the kitchen to help Jun Gyu and Yoo Jung. Yongguk and Kyungsoo exchanged a quick glance and chuckled as Yongguk handed Kyungsoo a large spoon. 

"Thank you for the food." Yongguk said aloud as he gestured for Kyungsoo to start first. 

Hyori came down the stairs and watched them in the kitchen and living room. She rolled her eyes when the thought them coming back without Seungho ticked her off. After all, she was sent there to accomplish a certain task that only had to do with Seungho. 

But the crew had no idea where Seungho was.

She approached Yongguk and Kyungsoo who sat on the couch and shared one bowl of food, and she sat across from them. "So what took you two the whole night to come back?" She asked leaning the side of her head into her palm; her elbow stabbing the couch. 

Kyungsoo was busy eating as he used his large eyes to look at her, Yongguk smiled a little and swallowed before answering, "Actually, we didn't see Seungho but we found one of Seungho and Kyungsoo's friend." Yongguk paused to double check if Kyungsoo was comfortable or not whether he shared the story. But Kyungsoo was too hungry and he wanted to forget, thus he continued eating without contributing to the conversation. 

Yongguk took it as a sign to continue, "And then all of a sudden a group of zombies came in, even after I locked the front door. And so we hid in the bathroom...."

The pile of zombies poured over Yongguk, some died as they were immediately crushed as soon as they fell between the crack of the door and the wall. Yongguk tried to keep the door over him, using it as a shield although it became heavier. "Yongguk!" Kyungsoo shouted and took two large strides over, there, he begin killing the dead by breaking their skulls opened with the head of the hammer. 

After a while Yongguk used all his strenght and pushed the door up, forcing some dead bodies to slide off and others to back up. Kyungsoo pushed the door some more as Yongguk got to his feet then he grabbed onto Kyungsoo's sleeves, and they sprinted through the hole Kyungsoo had created. 

Zombies flood the bathroom entrance as they fell over another, creating a wall of zombies. 

Kyungsoo stepped on his bed first then Yongguk followed, and they avoided the group that was moving toward the master room, as they slipped passed them and ran for the exit. 

On the road Yongguk and Kyungsoo were panting in unison, half excited they survived, and another half were pure happiness. The imagination of being able to survive such a large group of deads was truly something to be happy about. 

As they headed back, chattering away; Yongguk asked Kyungsoo about the hammer in the restroom. 

"Actually, my dad was a carpenter so he'll always repair and keep tools around the house. He repairs even when there's nothing wrong and everything are in perfect condition. But he always said if he keep repairing then he'll eventually get better. That's why our house is filled with all sorts of weapons." Kyungsoo explained. Yongguk smiled and nodded after hearing the story. 

One question he had was where was Seungho? Is he still alive? Dead? Hiding? 

But without knowing the answer, they headed back on foot. 

"And that's how." Yongguk shared. Zelo and Jun Gyu listened carefully as Yoo Jung had fallen asleep while borrowing Kyungsoo's shoulders after having some fruits to eat as well. "Alright, I'll keep watch so all of you go rest for now. We have enough food to keep us going and whatnot, so let's sleep and rest as much as we can for now." Yongguk suggested and the party agreed. 

Like an older brother or father, Yongguk tucked Zelo in as he slept next to Jun Gyu. Then he carried Yoo Jung to bed as well and tucked her in. Hyori decided to stay up and was cleaning the leftovers downstairs. 

Lastly Yongguk checked Kyungsoo's bed, the man was lying on his bed when Yongguk walked over and fixed his covers. Kyungsoo surprised Yongguk with a sudden question with his back turned to the older man. "Do you think Seungho is alone.... Or...."

"Or?" Yongguk asked as he listened attentively. 

"Did.... Seungho kill Mark...?" 

"What?"

"I.... I have a feeling.... Mark was attacked by someone, and he was at home.... So could it have been Seungho?" 

"W-why would Seungho do that?"

"Then why was Mark left alone on the cold floor? I know from time to time, Mark annoys Seungho but.... The broken glass.... Seungho was there, he must have done it to Mark.... Right?"

"No, don't jump to conclusions...."

"I'm not jumping to conclusions!" Kyungsoo raise his voice and his eyes became watery. "If Seungho really was there and Mark was cut while being closed in the bathroom then.... Am I just.... Am I suppose to just, just forgive Seungho when I see him?" 

"Kyungsoo-"

"Seungho was really different, when he took that stranger's life, when he stabbed Yoo Jung's father.... Seungho said it was to protect me...but was killing Mark also to protect me? If it's my fault that my younger brother cannot control himself from harming others then would it be better if I-?" Yongguk had enough and walked over and pulled Kyungsoo out from under the blankets. He turned the man to face him and looked him in the eyes. 

"It's not Seungho. He wouldn't hurt his friend, I know because I'm one of those. I annoy Seungho but he saved my life when I was a complete stranger. Same goes to Zelo and Yoo Jung. Have you not seen how he is? Seungho may kill outsiders without any mercy but to us, have you not seen the way he listen to you? You were the one who asked him to accept us, and in the meanwhile he did. So, don't think that way or you'll turn against your own brother." Yongguk said under a whisper, Kyungsoo begin crying. 

"It's not right-it's not right to think this way but.... I really want to see him." Kyungsoo cried as Yongguk's eyes grew teary as well, "I miss him.... I want to see his face again. Seungho.... H-he must be out there, on his own. He's probably crying alone.... My brother's probably locking himself and starving himself.... I want to see him, Yongguk." Kyungsoo said through tears, Yongguk pulled Kyungsoo in for a hug as he pat the back of the man gently. 

Kyungsoo's tears seeped into the back of Yongguk's jacket. 

IjzbsQ5z3BfxsSlhgq_hHV0Ankeh0gm0ZVLwCkrQ

CL was sitting on the couch when she spun her upperbody around. Seungho was still kneeling beside Mark's motionless body. As night fell over Seoul, CL was beginning to worry about Seungho and the relationship he had with the dead body in front of him. CL assumed Mark must have been Seungho's lost brother. 

She kept her silence and spun her body back around. Before she knew it, she heard the closing of a door, which frightened her. She turned around and Seungho was gone. CL got up immediately and hurried toward the front door, there were no signs of Seungho walking or leaving the house. 

CL hurried toward the hallway but it didn't seemed like Seungho took that route either. She stumbled back. "H-he left me...." She said in a short and low breath. "H-he's gone...." CL said in disbelief, then she brought her legs in and sat in a crouching position. As everything grew silent, the sudden banging made her jump. She looked up and a zombie was right outside the front door, its silhouette hungry for her flesh. 

The two bats were leaning on the couch, CL was going to remain in her spot but when more and groaning grew to her left, coming from the hallway she noticed there were still some wayfarers that Seungho never gotten to killing. CL ran for the bats and then saw two zombies moving over the dead pile, stacked in front of the hallway. 

She opened the door and pushed the zombie in the front over, it fell back and rolled onto the grasses. CL screamed as she took off running into the growing darkness. 

IjzbsQ5z3BfxsSlhgq_hHV0Ankeh0gm0ZVLwCkrQ

End of Chapter 16.