Reconcile

Free of Charge

Chapter Twenty: Reconcile

reconcile: to resolve; to reestablish a relationship; to bring oneself to accept

~*~

"Okay, since you're not picking up the phone I guess I'm just going to leave you a long- voicemail. I'd rather do that than text or email cause I need you to hear my voice. I kind of  heard what happened from Jaehwa but I really need to hear your side as well. I'm sorry for hitting you but you were being aggressive and I was afraid you'd hurt her. I know you're not the type to get physical, which is why you scared the out of me when you approached her.

"I don't want things to go sour between us, Baek. You're my best friend. Just please... please call me back. Let's talk face-to-face okay? Please Baekhyun, we've had problems before but we resolved them quickly didn't we? Even when I--"

Beep. "To replay this message, press-- Message saved. Next message."

"Damn it, I accidentally pressed something. Where was I? Umm... we always make up in the end which is why we're still friends. Even when I got upset over you not telling me about Jongdae, after we talked everything was cool. We went back to normal. I know you probably want to say a ton to me... I'm willing to listen but you have to let me in. Communication requires both of us to participate, you know."

"To replay this--"

"Of course I know," Baekhyun muttered under his breath.

---

Baekhyun handed the box up to Chanyeol wordlessly. Had Baekhyun known Chanyeol would be assisting Joonmyun he would have stayed home. Baekhyun his heels and retreated to the garage for another box. Why was he even helping Joonmyun? Baekhyun paused as Jongdae came up and helped lift one of the larger boxes with him.

Because this lovely convinced me.

After the truck was filled with all of Joonmyun's belongings, Baekhyun and Jongdae found themselves in charge of distributing water to everyone. Baekhyun pushed Jongdae in Chanyeol's direction so he wouldn't have to face Chanyeol. Baekhyun ended with Joonmyun, slapping the bottle into the older male's hand.

"I'm going to miss you, little child," Joonmyun threw his arms around Baekhyun in a suffocating hug. "I'm not going to be here to help you with tutoring or driving. I still remember when you were this pudgy little child because we kept feeding you. Then you got so scrawny and now you're... you."

"I'm going to miss you too," Baekhyun said into the hug, not sure if Joonmyun could hear him. He pushed against his friend's chest with a groan. "You're embarrassing me, stop it."

Joonmyun finally let him go and basically went around telling everyone how he was going to miss them even if they were going to attend the same university. Baekhyun joined Jongdae's side, "Can we go now? You promised me cheesecake."

"That I did," Jongdae ruffled Baekhyun's hair, knowing that Baekhyun disliked it and would probably scold him. Jongdae felt Baekhyun's shoulders go rigid seconds before Baekhyun ducked away and flattened his hair down, a frown on his face. In the months that Jongdae and Baekhyun became acquaintances and later friends and lovers, it wasn't hard to know what irritated Baekhyun.

Any form of touching that Baekhyun didn't administer first or expect, beating around the bush, sharing food, sweating, the heat, people. But Baekhyun didn't seem to mind too much when Jongdae gave him quick pecks and sudden hugs or sharing some food. Baekhyun also hated sudden plans which is one of the reasons Jongdae let Baekhyun decide if they should go out or visit each other. Once in awhile Jongdae had to bribe Baekhyun out the house, hence the reason Jongdae promised a date with cheesecake.

"Okay we're leaving! Bye!" Baekhyun waved to everyone.

"Thanks for helping us out!"

Baekhyun smiled before walking away with Jongdae to their bikes. Baekhyun had always wanted to rent one of those two-seater bicycles near the river and ride along with Jongdae but he wasn't sure when would be a good time to mention it to the brunet. It was still cold and even colder by the water. Spring had too much dust flying in the air. Summer would be great but that would be the time every one else would be there too.

They haven't gone public with their relationship. Would they ever?

Baekhyun watched Jongdae struggle with the kickstand on his bike. The pedal hindered the kickstand from rising up and Jongdae was ready to scream. "Help me out," Jongdae sighed in frustration.

The two made a quick stop at Jongdae's where they put away their bikes and walked a couple of blocks down the street to the bus stop that would take them to the long-awaited cheesecake. Jongdae would have preferred riding their bikes but Baekhyun insisted it was easier taking the bus.

It took less than half an hour to arrive at their destination, even more quickly since the bakery stood right behind the bus stop. As tempted as Baekhyun was to take Jongdae's hand and guide him into the bakery, Baekhyun kept his hands tucked into the coat Jongdae had given to him for Christmas. The temperature inside felt warm compared to the freezing seven degrees celsius outside. Including Baekhyun and Jongdae there weren't a lot of customers, about maybe less than ten. Baekhyun s his arm around Jongdae's and approached the counter, "What flavor are you getting?"

Jongdae stared at the menu, not at the items themselves but rather their prices. With a grimace he turned to Baekhyun, "Are you getting a whole cheesecake or just a slice?"

"Umm... one slice?" Baekhyun suddenly felt bad that he was making Jongdae pay for him. A slice of cheesecake averaged around 10,000 won, with the plain cream cheese cheesecake at 7,000 won. The quality and reputation of the bakery never made Baekhyun think twice about buying from there, also the slices were slightly larger than other places he'd been to so it was worth it. Not to mention he had a loyalty card that granted him five percent of what he spent back as a reward.

The brunet gulped as he scanned the menu. Jongdae would let Baekhyun choose whatever he wanted, but as for Jongdae himself... His favorite was the raspberry. At the place Jongdae usually went to it costed only 5,000 won but here, at the expensive place Baekhyun brought him to it was 10,000 won.

Is it really worth it?

"I'm going to get the raspberry one, what about you?" Jongdae turned a blind eye to the price. It was a one-time thing, it was okay.

"White chocolate and strawberry, but I'll order for us," Baekhyun said. "Are you set on the raspberry?" At Jongdae's nod, Baekhyun proceeded to talk to the cashier. While Jongdae reached for his wallet, Baekhyun handed his card to the cashier. The brunet shot Baekhyun a glare.

"Baek," Jongdae said but he waited until they stepped outside. He took Baekhyun's hand and slapped the money he would have paid to the cashier into it. Baekhyun protested and yanked his hand free. Jongdae asked, "Why are you always doing this to me?"

"You were taking forever."

"You practically already had the card out and ready before we even ordered. Obviously you planned to pay from the start."

"And what's so wrong about me paying for us?"

"Because I want to feel like I'm doing something for you. How can I buy you anything if you keep insisting on paying?" Jongdae forced the money back into Baekhyun's hand and the raven-haired boy accepted it with a deep sigh. "Baek I appreciate what you're trying to do, but please let me have fun too."

"Spending money is fun?"

"Spending it on you, yes. But how would I know right?"

Baekhyun pursed his lips before walking on ahead to the bus stop. Why was Jongdae making such a big deal? Didn't people like free stuff? Baekhyun and Chanyeol always did rock-paper-scissors to see who paid. Chanyeol ate a lot and it always frustrated Baekhyun when he lost and had to pay for everything, hence the reason Baekhyun tried convincing Chanyeol to eat either at his father's cafe or his mother's restaurant so they could get a discount. But Baekhyun wanted to pay for Jongdae. Apparently Jongdae was a freaking weirdo and it offended him.

The couple stood by the bus stop because the bench was occupied. As if Baekhyun would sit down on that piece of frozen plastic. Baekhyun stole a glimpse at his boyfriend before returning his gaze to the buildings across the street and asked in a small voice, "You're not mad at me are you?"

"I'm not." For emphasis, Jongdae threw an arm around Baekhyun's shoulders and brought Baekhyun closer to him. "Just let me pay when I say I would."

The couple finally ate once they reached Jongdae's home. With his father away at work and his mother out with her sister, Jongdae and Baekhyun had the house all to themselves. Without Baekhyun to keep him company, Jongdae would have been napping or stuck on the Internet with his playlist blasting in the background... until one of his parents barged into the room to tell him to lower his music.

Baekhyun's eyes landed on Jongdae's Little Brother necklace and he absent-mindedly touched his wrist watch. "Did you ever get a hold on Jongdeok?"

"He said he already talked to my dad and your mother," Jongdae responded before offering a piece of his over-priced cheesecake slice to Baekhyun.

Although Jongdae didn't say anything he would have liked if Baekhyun had gone home after they finished eating, but his boyfriend remained seated on the bed. Jongdae watched as Baekhyun fidgeted with his phone before holding it up in the air. "Smile Jongdae."

Jongdae shoved his hand over the phone before Baekhyun could snap anything, "No pictures unless it's the both of us."

Satisfied with that, Baekhyun crawled over to Jongdae's side, his left arm draped over the brunet's shoulders. "All right then. Show your pretty smile this is going to be my new home screen wallpaper." Baekhyun gasped as a thought occurred. He turned his head to look at Jongdae although it may have been difficult for Jongdae to even see him. "Why don't we take a gross cheesy picture of us kissing?"

"What? Just take a picture already."

Baekhyun's pout went unnoticed by the brunet. Baekhyun raised his arm and leaned his head close against Jongdae's face. He really wanted to do the kiss but he needed Jongdae's cooperation. After checking if Jongdae was sweating or icky, Baekhyun handed the phone to Jongdae, "Here, you be cameraman. I'm going to do the kissing myself."

Of all the twenty-one shots, Baekhyun only liked four. He sent them to Jongdae's phone and ended up using the photo of him kissing Jongdae's neck and Jongdae cringing because Baekhyun had found a sensitive spot on his neck.

"I look like a truck smashed into my face," Jongdae's cheeks flushed while he rubbed his neck.

Baekhyun smirked at him before poking Jongdae in the chest. "It's cute! Where else are you ticklish?" Baekhyun's hands began roaming Jongdae's body. Instinctively, Jongdae shielded himself with his arms and fell back on the bed but that only enabled Baekhyun more control and power.

Jongdae's spots weren't completely the same as Baekhyun's. About two centimenters below the armpits and near the hips. The thighs, oh goodness gracious. Jongdae almost kneed Baekhyun in the privates when Baekhyun's slender hands began traveling lower than the the hips. That was Baekhyun's warning to stop. If he went any further Jongdae may end up kicking him in the face.

Baekhyun laid down beside his boyfriend, the two catching their breaths. Baekhyun turned his head to the left to look at Jongdae, admiring Jongdae's long lashes and disheveled hair. He began combing his fingers through the brunet's hair to straighten the mess, "Would you ever consider growing your hair really long?"

"No."

"Me neither. I imagine it would be such a hassle."

Jongdae laughed and rolled over to his side, throwing one leg over Baekhyun's and forcing Baekhyun's legs in between his own. Baekhyun squeaked in surprise but remained still while Jongdae pulled himself closer and rested one hand across Baekhyun's chest. "I never get to do this."

"You did it twice already. I'm not your body pilllow."

"Hmm, yes you are babe." Eyes closed, Jongdae smiled as his arm rose and fell along with Baekhyun's chest. Jongdae was tired from helping Joonmyun move his boxes that morning and all he wanted was to take a nap. "Baek how long are you going to stay here? I want to take a nap if you're not leaving any time soon but I know you can't take naps and I don't want you to be bored."

A light smile touched Baekhyun's lips. He placed his right hand over the hand resting on his chest, "Go ahead, you worked hard today. I'll protect you from the angels."

"Angels?"

"They might mistaken you as their own and kidnap you."

Jongdae's heart thumped a little too fast. He wondered if Baekhyun could feel it, if Baekhyun said it on purpose to see how he would react. Jongdae moved his head so his cheek pressed against Baekhyun's arm and he drifted off to sleep, his heart craving for more of Baekhyun.

Baekhyun closed his eyes for a minute. Or at least he thought he did. He found himself staring at the ceiling, a little disoriented and sleepy. Jongdae was no longer beside him; the sheets were wrinkled and felt cool to the touch. Baekhyun sat up and looked over at the clock -- 4: 27 pm.

I can't believe I fell asleep.

Baekhyun checked the bathroom but it was empty so Jongdae probably went downstairs. Baekhyun walked over to Jongdae's closet and slid the door open. Jongdae had a lot of clothes which Baekhyun found surprising. His lips pursed, Baekhyun went through Jongdae's wardrobe. Perhaps he could get an idea of what Jongdae liked so when September rolled by...

"What are you doing?"

Baekhyun jumped before turning around to see Jongdae setting two white mugs down on the desk. Baekhyun flashed a smile, "Just seeing what clothes you have." Baekhyun slid the door back and hopped lightly on his feet over to his boyfriend. "What's that you got there?"

"I made us hot chocolate. Are you hungry?"

"I'm good. I think I should leave... after I drink this of course."

"Chanyeol called you a bunch of times. He eventually began calling my phone. How long are you going to wait?"

Baekhyun's expression turned sour at the mention of Chanyeol's name. "What did you tell him?"

"That you were asleep."

Baekhyun sighed and looked down at his hot chocolate. He counted seven mini marshmallows buried in the whipped cream with cinnamon sprinkled over the white toppings. "Jongdae, you put the whipped cream before the marshmallows?"

"Oh that... I already sprayed the whipped cream when I remembered you liked marshmallows. You don't have to drink it--"

"No no, it's all good. Thank you," Baekhyun smiled and tapped the brunet's nose.

"You didn't answer me, Baek. When are you going to talk to Chanyeol?"

"I don't want to see him, hear him, or even think of him right now."

"It's almost been a week."

"I don't--" Baekhyun stopped with a deep breath. "I don't want to talk about this."

"Well we are." Jongdae could see the irritation in Baekhyun's body language, but he promised Chanyeol over the phone he would convince Baekhyun to meet up with the tall brunet.

"I'm still ing mad at him right now do you think it's a good time to talk to him?" Baekhyun snapped. Baekhyun groaned and walked to the foot of Jongdae's bed where he sat down on the floor and hugged himself. One reason Baekhyun hated taking naps -- everything felt wrong after waking up and this was no exception.

"Why are you mad at him?"

"For one he tried forcing me and Jaehwa to make up. And not to mention he ing hit me."

"He didn't know your situtation and you attacked Jaehwa first, he was just defending her."

Baekhyun gaped at Jongdae in disbelief. "You're taking his side?"

"There are no sides. That's all in your head," Jongdae responded as calmly as he could. He remained standing by his desk, not wanting to go near Baekhyun. "You are both wrong for physically hurting someone."

"That wanted me to apologize to her even after he slapped me."

"He didn't understand your situation, you wouldn't let him. Just talk to him now, he's ready."

"Fine! If it makes you so happy I'll talk to him," Baekhyun threw his arms in the air. He pushed himself off the floor and stormed around the room until he spotted his phone on the nightstand. He went for it but moved a little too fast and kicked his foot on the corner of Jongdae's bed frame. The pain was instant and Baekhyun fell onto the floor before he could react. After clutching his foot in agony he laid unmoving.

Jongdae had rushed over to his boyfriend the second he saw Baekhyun kick the bed frame. "Baekhyun?"

"It ing hurts," Baekhyun sobbed. "Is my foot even in tact?"

Jongdae in air through his teeth at the sight of a red spot on Baekhyun's white socks. "You're bleeding. Take off your sock."

"It's throbbing!" Baekhyun cried out, tears blurring his vision. "! Don't touch it you ing !"

"Baek!" Jongdae reached out again but Baekhyun hit his hand and screamed all kinds of curses at him.

"What is going on here?!" Mrs. Kim burst through the bedroom. She was in the middle of yoga when she heard raised voices and swearing that didn't come from her son.

"Baekhyun stubbed his toe and he's bleeding but he won't let me look at it."

While Mrs. Kim treated Baekhyun's toe, the boy shamefully apologized for swearing in her house and at her son. Mrs. Kim only chuckled and brushed it off before suggesting she take Baekhyun to the hospital, but Baekhyun declined the offer.

When he thought his mother had taken care of the situation in his bedroom, Jongdae disappeared into the kitchen with the two mugs of hot chocolate. Not wanting the hot chocolate to go to waste, Jongdae drained both mugs empty. He boiled the water again and reminded himself to put the marshmallows before the whipped cream.

He hadn't wanted to see Baekhyun's toe, not at all. That kind of thing made him queasy. He was okay with medical and crime dramas -- although he would often times cringe and watch with one eye or half-closed eyes or even peeking through his fingers -- but real life was different, especially if it were anyone else but him.

"I'm a clumsy person," Baekhyun grimaced at his boyfriend as he sat down on the couch in the living room.

"I've noticed." Jongdae still recalled the time Baekhyun wanted to bake cookies and the idiot had tripped over his own feet, giving Jongdae a mini kiss on the cheek. "Your hot chocolate's ready," Jongdae smiled, "but I'm not bringing it to you."

"Aww, why? I'm injured. Your bed tried to assassinate me."

Jongdae gave Baekhyun a look before rolling his eyes and disappearing into the kitchen. Baekhyun smiled to himself while he rubbed circles over the mole on his left thumb. The throbbing in his toe had subsided but he could still feel the strange numbness whenever he put pressure on his right foot.

The brunet returned with Baekhyun's drink. He ruffled his boyfriend's dark hair, "So when are you and Chanyeol making up?"

~~~

Baekhyun grabbed his pillow and screamed into it. He'd done it. Chanyeol was coming over so they could talk about stuff. The good thing was that Chanyeol was trying to patch things up with Baekhyun rather than avoiding him like he was doing to Chanyeol. However, Chanyeol should have given Baekhyun more time to prepare himself. Just because Chanyeol was ready didn't mean Baekhyun was.

Baekhyun checked his toe to see a slight bruise. What else did he expect, his toe to magically heal when he just stubbed it the day before? He pursed his lips before taking a picture of it and sending it to Jongdae.

Baekhyun: look at my battle wound

my sun: it is unfortunate you lost ;)

Baekhyun scoffed. Then he jumped in his skin when his phone went off at max volume. He hastily slid his finger over the green button. "What?" Baekhyun responded curtly.

"I'm outside your house."

"How the hell did you get here so fast?" Baekhyun glanced at his digital clock. "We just talked about two minutes ago."

"I've got long legs."

Baekhyun sighed and went to open the door for Chanyeol. Baekhyun didn't even look at Chanyeol until after Chanyeol cautiously stepped into his room. Baekhyun tilted his head up and glared at the tall young man before him, "You know I'm uncomfortable with this. You take the wheel and don't you dare take a detour."

With a deep breath, Chanyeol got on his knees and looked up at Baekhyun, "Hit me."

Baekhyun folded his arms across his chest with an incredulous laugh. Lips pursed, Baekhyun shook his head, "Is that how you're going to apologize?"

"Come on Baek, just do it," Chanyeol reached out and loosened Baekhyun's arms. He demonstrated to Baekhyun by lightly slapping his left cheek with Baekhyun's right hand, "Just like this but a lot harder."

"Why? Is that supposed to make me feel better?"

"Yes. You can kick and punch me all you want, I'm giving you permission."

"How thoughtful of you," Baekhyun replied, his voice heavy with sarcasm. Chanyeol gulped nervously, wishing he had withheld that last part.

"After you beat me up we can talk."

"I don't want to hit you."

"You hit me all th--"

Chanyeol's head swung to the left with a loud slap. Taken aback, Chanyeol lost his balance and stumbled awkwardly to the floor with his hands barely in time to break his fall. A cry of pain remained stuck in his throat as he tried to get his bearings, the faint sting of the slap echoing on his right cheek.

Whoops.

Baekhyun poked Chanyeol's leg with his left foot, "Happy? Let's talk now."

"Why'd you use your left hand?" Chanyeol groaned as he pushed himself off the floor. Baekhyun raised his right arm and brought it down in a quick flash, stopping right before he came in contact with Chanyeol's face. Baekhyun offered a smile while lightly patting Chanyeol's cheek.

"Are you okay, my little baby?" Baekhyun mocked before wrapping his arms around Chanyeol's head and burying the brunet against his chest. " After releasing the brunet, Baekhyun and Chanyeol sat on the bed ready for the more difficult part of their meeting. "Tell me what Jaehwa told you."

"It's not much different that her original story," Chanyeol nervously fidgeted with his fingers. "You guys were going to a party with a group of friends. You were the one who was supposed to watch out for them, that's what she asked you for as a favor." At Baekhyun's nod, Chanyeol continued, "She said you were by yourself and that you looked lonely. So she sent... Raehyuk and some other guy to keep you company. And that you got angry and stormed out. Ever since then you hated her."

"That's it? That--" Baekhyun bit back his tongue to refrain from throwing vile insults about Chanyeol's girlfriend in front of his face. Struggling to control his anger, Baekhyun stood up on his feet and began pacing back and forth in the empty space of his bedroom from the bedroom door to the bathroom door.

"I want to hear your side. I know it might be uncomfortable, but I need to understand what's going on."

"From Raehyuk's account, he and Jaehyun asked Jaehwa if I was gay because I kept refusing the girls who came up to me. I said no, but they began teasing me telling me I shouldn't be scared to come out the closet. I knew they were drunk so I just let it slide. I remember... I was wearing my muscle tank and my cargo shorts cause it was hot as hell that night."

Simply trying to recall the event made Baekhyun start to sweat. The raven-haired boy excused himself for a moment to prop open the window to allow the cool air in. He glanced back at Chanyeol and continued, "You know how I was a stick back in middle school? Those s kept poking me and comparing their bodies to mine. Then--" Baekhyun sharply exhaled, covering his face with his hands. How violated and insulted he felt about that night, he never wanted to talk about it. Telling Jongdae was enough.

"Baekhyun?"

Baekhyun responded with his hands still over his face, "Raehyuk reached out to my crotch saying he wanted to see how small I was. By then I had punched him in the face but he only laughed before getting Jaehyun to help him try to pull my pants down." Chanyeol blinked in utter horror at the revelation. It made sense why Baekhyun began flinching away when Chanyeol used to try to touch him. He always assumed it was the germs that Baekhyun didn't like so he didn't make a big deal out of it. "But the worse part," Baekhyun's voice choked on his tears, "is what they said afterwards." Baekhyun sniffed and wiped the tears away. "Someone saw us and pulled me away. I was going to find Jaehwa and leave right afterwards but I heard them say Jaehwa told them I was her gay friend that was always up for anything."

Baekhyun sat himself on the his rolling chair. His legs had started shaking terribly and it made it difficult to stand. He hadn't gone in depth with Jongdae so it wasn't as bad, but he wasn't holding back now with Chanyeol.

Chanyeol approached Baekhyun and knelting on the floor, gently touched his knee, "You can take a break if you have to."

Baekhyun shook his head. "Umm... where was I? Oh yeah, after that I found Jaehwa and confronted her about it. I demanded why she told her friends the lies about me and do you know what she said? But you are. I felt so humilated and hurt I took off. Since then, I've been waiting for Jaehwa to apologize to me."

Chanyeol gulped down the rock in his throat. How did one respond in that situation? When his best friend was hurt by his girlfriend. "Baek I--"

"Even so," Baekhyun interrupted, eyes locking onto Chanyeol's, "I don't want you to break up with her. Not for me. You know Jaehwa, you've been dating for a long time. She's not always a -- like how I sometimes care, you know? I knew Jaehwa longer than you and she was never such an I couldn't believe she would even do that."

"What if I don't want to stay with her?"

"Don't ing lie to yourself. I know how it feels to be with someone who means a lot to you. Just get her to apologize to me. It's that simple."

Chanyeol remained by Baekhyun's legs, his hand still resting atop Baekhyun's knee. What should he do? He couldn't just blackmail Jaehwa and demand her to apologize to Baek with their relationship on the line. Chanyeol couldn't lose Baekhyun nor Jaehwa, they both meant a lot to him. But how could Jaehwa do something so horrendous? Had she apologized it would have been a different story but the fact that the apology had been procrastinated for over four years. Chanyeol chewed his lower lip as he stared off into space. He'd repeatedly asked about what happened between the two and now that he knew...

"I'm so sorry," Chanyeol dropped his arm and leaned forward, pressing his forehead against Baekhyun's knees. "I'm so sorry Baekhyun."

I hate this so much.

Baekhyun cringed as he slowly pushed Chanyeol away from him, "Yeah I get it. We cool?"

"I don't know, are you?"

"With you sure, but..."

"Jaehwa?"

Baekhyun paused, his eyes glued to Chanyeol. How great it felt knowing that he and Chanyeol were okay. Now he had one more problem to tackle, but how was he going to do that?

"You're staring at me. You have something to say?" Chanyeol asked.

"Do you want to do something?"

"Like what?"

Baekhyun shrugged. He didn't want to stay inside the house all day, he had to get out and do something. "Did you ever get those pants you needed?" At Chanyeol's shake of the head, Baekhyun continued, "You free today?"

"Yeah."

"Can I ask Jongdae to join us?" Baekhyun asked but he'd already grabbed his phone and hit speed dial. Baekhyun cleared his throat and flashed Chanyeol a smile as he waited for Jongdae to pick up. "Hey Jongdae you available right now? Why? We're going shopping and I want you to come along. Just Chanyeol. Yeah we did. Ha, no. He doesn't mind," Baekhyun's eyes landed on Chanyeol, "right Chanyeol?"

Chanyeol would have preferred it just be Baekhyun and him but...

The tall brunet shook his head, "Nope. The more the merrier."

"Aww, come on Jongdae! It's our break before our last year of high school! What do you possibly have to do? Please sweetie? Pretty please? Babe come on."

Chanyeol's hands slowly found their way to his cheeks, a wide smile on his face. Baekhyun was sweet talking and it was a rare and adorable sight.

"Tell him to man up. Just ditch him. Ugh, okay okay. I'll just go with Chanyeol alone. Bye. What? Oh I forgot," Baekhyun grumbled under his breath as he glanced down at his stubbed toe. Baekhyun hung up and turned to Chanyeol, "Maybe another time, Yeollie. Sorry."

"Why what happened?"

"I stubbed my toe yesterday. There's no way I'm going to walk around the mall. I'm going to complain and you're going to throw a clothes rack at me or choke me with a sweater or something. We can schedule for another time, what do you say?"

"When?"

Baekhyun thought about it for a moment before checking through the calendar on his phone. His mother's birthday was in March and he hadn't gotten her anything yet. "What about in March?"

"When?" Chanyeol repeated.

"Are you a broken record?" Baekhyun muttered quietly but Chanyeol heard him. "Before the thirteenth."

"Will Jongdae be joining us?"

"We'll see."

~~~

It was the evening before school began. Baekhyun came out the shower with a towel wrapped around his waist when his father knocked on his bedroom door. Hearing it was Cho Jaehwa, Baekhyun took his sweet time lathering himself with body cream and even blowdrying his hair, something he hadn't done in awhile. It was petty but Baekhyun had waited for years so Jaehwa could wait ten minutes.

Chanyeol had done it. He convinced his girlfriend to apologize. Baekhyun patted his cheeks and forehead before running his hands under the faucet. He smiled at his reflection.

This is it Baekhyun.

Eventually Baekhyun emerged from the stairs and found Jaehwa sitting anxiously on the edge of the couch. Jaehwa stood up when she noticed Baekhyun's presence. "Y-Your father just left."

"So it's just us then?"

Jaehwa nodded, her eyes wandering to the floor.  Head hung low, Jaehwa moved forward until she stood about an arm's length away from Baekhyun. A sigh escaped her trembling lips as she slowly dropped to her knees. She managed to lie to herself and deny the incident that tore them apart. Jaehwa should have known the conflict between them would become so sharp one of them would get hurt if not both.

"Baeker," Jaehwa said, using the nickname she'd given Baekhyun when they first played with Jaehwa's baking set and Baekhyun made a delicious cupcake. "I can't believe I messed up our friendship. Middle school was a nightmare, I try not to think about it. I-I was an immature to you, I'm sorry. I really am. I know--"

"I accept your overdue apology," Baekhyun cut her off, not wanting to hear a long string of words attached to the 'I'm sorry' because really, that was all Baekhyun wanted to hear. "I have to say I'm sorry too, for shoving you against the wall." Baekhyun sighed and gestured for Jaehwa to stand up, "Get up, you look pathetic."

The young woman rose on her feet, unsure of where they stood in their relationship. She guessed it was safe to say they weren't going to become good friends again, or even friends for that matter.

"How are things between you and Chanyeol?"

"A little... quiet. He said he needs space for a while," Jaehwa nervously fidgeted with her fingers. She was honest to god worried about Chanyeol deciding to dump her. It terrified her whenever she received a text message, not knowing if it were Chanyeol ready to call everything off. She held onto the hope that Chanyeol wouldn't, after all, it would be so simple to say 'Hey Jaehwa. I found out you're a and I'm going to dump your sorry .' The fact that Chanyeol was thinking about it...

Baekhyun sighed, "Just don't hurt Chanyeol anymore." With those words Baekhyun gestured to the front foor with his chin. Jaehwa understood and left.

Baekhyun closed the door with a sense of serenity. The long awaited apology had finally been said and heard. Even Jaehwa felt an angel carry the weight off her chest. Although Baekhyun couldn't ever see Jawhwa the same, at least she had acknowledged her wrong against him. Now it was up to Chanyeol whether Baekhyun would continually see Jaehwa or not.

 


 

I don't buy cheesecake so I don't know how expensive they are for a slice XD