Indiscreet

Free of Charge

Chapter Twenty-Three: Indiscreet

indiscreet: not careful; lacking good judgement

~*~

Baekhyun had wanted to celebrate Baekbeom's birthday somehow so he dragged Jongdae along with him to Baekbeom's favorite cafe, which also happened to be Chanyeol's father's place. Baekhyun took a corner table, finding a photo of Baekbeom on his phone and setting it against the wall. Jongdae said it felt like Baekbeom was dead, but Baekhyun shrugged him off.

"This might be the strangest thing I've ever witnessed you doing," Jongdae said after their order arrived -- two smoothies, a glass of water, and a plate of three sliced cakes. "Seriously it feels like he's dead and it's just creepy."

"Well Jongdae, we're here for Baekbeom's birthday. If Baekbeom weren't here it'd be even stranger." Baekhyun pushed the cake slices closer to his phone. He faced Jongdae and smiled, "It's April Fool's so people wouldn't care anyway." Baekhyun's chest swelled in joy at the flustered look on his boyfriend's face. It would be something Baekhyun never got tired of -- embarrassing Kim Jongdae.

"Are we going to sing?" Jongdae asked quietly.

Baekhyun's smile grew bigger. Jongdae was always supporting him; Baekhyun knew he could count on Jongdae. "No," Baekhyun said. He tapped his phone's screen after it momentarily dimmed. "We'll just sit and wait until the phone goes on standby and then we can eat. That should be about a minute."

During the minute wait, the two stared across the table at each other. It became unclear as to who began the staring contest, but like usual, Jongdae blinked first. Jongdae lightly kicked Baekhyun's foot, "Do I have something on my face?"

"Yeah," Baekhyun tapped his left cheek to show Jongdae where. Brows knitted in confusion, Jongdae wiped at his cheek but Baekhyun shook his head. "No, other side." Jongdae rolled his eyes before wiping his right cheek. Baekhyun shook his head again. Taking a napkin, Baekhyun beckoned Jongdae closer. Jongdae leaned forward, just what Baekhyun wanted. Using the napkin to hide the lower portion of their faces -- Baekhyun's right, Jongdae's left -- Baekhyun pecked Jongdae's cheek. It wasn't subtle, anyone looking in their direction would have known what happened, but the others were in their own world. No one paid attention to the two young men sitting alone in the corner of the cafe.

"April Fool's," Baekhyun smiled before sitting back in his seat. He pulled the plate back to the center of the table and placed a fork on Jongdae's side before stabbing into the nearest cake slice with his own fork. "Enjoy."

Still shocked from the public kiss, Jongdae reached for his fork. "Yeah, enjoy. Happy Birthday Baekbeom."

"I wrote him about this, by the way," Baekhyun said. "I can't wait until he's out so we can eat together. I can officially introduce you to him and he can officially introduce me to Bohye. You should introduce me to Jongdeok when, you know. How do you think he'll react to the whole 'I'm gay' thing?"

Jongdae shrugged because he really didn't know, but he knew his family would find out sooner or later. Whether it be by accident or intentions or if it were with Baekhyun or not, they'd have to know. Jongdae couldn't keep it a secret for that long... or perhaps he could try. "What about Baekbeom? Is he going to be cool with us?"

"Without a shred of doubt."

Take care of Baekhyun for me.

Baekbeom's words echoed in Jongdae's mind suddenly. How strange Jongdae thought it was for Baekbeom to ask him, a complete stranger, to take care of Baekhyun. It was as if Baekbeom had planned to throw himself in prison. Jongdae doubted it; most likely Baekbeom was referring to the marriage. Jongdae sighed and watched as Baekhyun devoured his cake slice. It would have been difficult had things not turned out the way they did. If Baekhyun had let their friendship rot, Jongdae never would have came crawling back. A smile crept onto Jongdae's face. In a way, Baekbeom was their matchmaker, no?

"Hey Baekhyun," Jongdae tapped the table to get Baekhyun's attention, "Tao and I started talking again. He said--"

"Who?" Baekhyun interrupted, shoving the last bits of his food into his mouth. "Tao? Is that the Chinese guy you keep talking about?"

"Yes, my friend from China. Like I was saying before, Tao wants to visit us. Our schools--"

"Sorry to bother you," a male waiter said, "but are you two done with your plate?" Jongdae frowned and waited while the waiter gathered their plate. He sipped his smoothie while staring across the table at the smiling Baekhyun.

Baekhyun thanked the waiter before leaning forward in his seat, "You were saying?"

"I--" Jongdae gasped as his smoothie spilled over the front of his shirt. He groaned in frustration and pulled his shirt away from his chest to prevent the smoothie from touching his skin. Baekhyun grabbed some napkins and wiped Jongdae's shirt, but when he decided it wasn't helping, he shrugged off his coat and pulled his sweater off over his head.

"Here," Baekhyun handed Jongdae his sweater, "we're about the same size. It might be a little big but it should fit."

Jongdae scurried into the bathroom and switched into Baekhyun's sweater, taking the time to admire himself in the mirror. A giant smile found its way onto his face as he deeply inhaled Baekhyun's scent from the sleeves. He joined Baekhyun at their table and slid into the chair, "It fits."

"Yes it's nice," Baekhyun said as he pretended not to care. "I told you we were about the same size. You're such a baby, can't even drink without spilling it all over yourself."

"That's cause I was trying to talk."

"That too. Don't talk with your mouth full," Baekhyun said. He scrunched his face is distaste before plucking a piece of fuzz from his shirt.

"But you were asking me a question."

"Ever heard of swallowing first?"

Jongdae rolled his eyes before burying his face into the sweater's sleeves and deeply inhaling Baekhyun's scent once more. What where they even talking about? It was quiet for a moment while Baekhyun continued the life out of his plastic cup and Jongdae was getting high off of Baekhyun's scent. Eventually Jongdae peeked out across the table at his boyfriend. "We don't know yet. He hasn't gotten back to me."

Baekhyun coughed as the last of his drink went down the wrong pipe. He punched his chest with a fist while gesturing for Jongdae to hand him Jongdae's smoothie, but Jongdae just sat and stared. "Oh my god," Baekhyun gasped before diving across the table for Jongdae's drink. Jongdae was supposed to be smart but that morning he was being so infuriating.

"You okay?" Jongdae smiled. "Anyway," he continued while Baekhyun was struggling, "it doesn't seem like he'll come. It would be nice though. I really want you two to meet even if it's just once and you hate each other."

"I have to ask," Baekhyun slid Jongdae's drink back to him, "did you ever have any feelings for him? Is that why you wondered if you were gay? Because you felt something with him that you didn't understand?"

"No. Don't do that. I don't like it when you do that."

Baekhyun raised his brows. What on Earth was Jongdae talking about? "Do what?"

"You're trying to pry into my mind and create something out of nothing. Tao and I are just friends."

"Sorry," Baekhyun muttered. He acknowledged he had a jealousy problem. He was just never aware he was acting on his jealousy until someone pointed it out. It wasn't hard to make Baekhyun jealous either. Nothing could be happening but Baekhyun's mind would, as Jongdae put it, "create something out of nothing" and Baekhyun's shields would activate. If Jongdae said he and Tao were simply friends, then Baekhyun had to take Jongdae's words for it. Even if Jongdae did like Tao in some way, it was Byun Baekhyun that was dating Kim Jongdae, not Hwang Xitao or whatever his name was. Baekhyun managed to ease his own worries as he stared across the table at his boyfriend. Yup, his boyfriend. Jongdae was his and he was Jongdae's.

"What's that smile for?"

"We're lucky to have each other."

Jongdae rolled his eyes and Baekhyun kicked him under the table in response.

~~~

The guy from China came over. Baekhyun didn't want to meet him but because of Jongdae -- because of his stupid boyfriend -- he was waiting for the doorbell. He did nothing but sit on the couch and wait in anticipation for the dreaded ringing. Why was Tao coming over to Korea at that time of year? Before Baekhyun could make up a lame excuse, his phone rang. It was Jongdae. He and Tao were outside. They were waiting for Baekhyun.

Wait, did Tao even know Korean? Baekhyun wasn't positive if Jongdae had mentioned it before, but Tao should know some Korean if he and Jongdae were able to talk, because Baekhyun honestly didn't think Jongdae's Mandarin was perfectly fluent. Jongdae was good, but not perfect. Baekhyun sure as hell didn't know Mandarin, except for maybe "hi" or "I love you" but why on Earth would he say those last words to Tao? It would only make things more awkward. Baekhyun hoped Jongdae knew enough Mandarin to be their interpreter.

"Hi! You must be Baekhyun!" the guy standing beside Jongdae grinned. "I've always wanted to meet you after Jongdae told me about you!"

"Hi," Baekhyun said in surprise. It seemed Tao did know some Korean, but like all schools taught, probably just the basics. "I'm Baekhyun, that's me. You must be Tao." Baekhyun eyed him up and down as if a dark secret would slip out the pockets of his dark green coat.

The three went around the shopping district because -- according to Jongdae -- Tao loved shopping and what better way to remember a visit to another country than buying a souvenir? Baekhyun prepared himself well for a day of shopping thanks to Jongdae. When it was official that Tao was flying over to Korea, Jongdae planned a schedule of what they would do on the first day so Baekhyun knew ahead of time. Tao was only staying for two weeks. Apparently it was a special exchange student deal their schools had where one student from one country would switch places with one another or something... Baekhyun didn't care much about it. He just knew Tao was staying for two weeks and then bye-bye.

Wow, I sound like a total .

Baekhyun followed silently behind as they entered the 1500 won store. Tao seemed overly excited and Jongdae just as equal. Baekhyun broke away from the two and wandered around alone, picking up random items and setting them back down. It was a cute shop that attracted many people, tourists and natives alike. It was actually the place where Baekhyun bought his school supplies, but instead of coming all the way here where people were, he ordered his supplies online. The beauty of modern-day science.

Maybe Baekhyun could get something for his friends. Like they would appreciate his actions. Baekhyun would win their heart with food, not 1500 won worth of goods. Chanyeol and Kyungsoo were always busy. He missed them. He missed Joonmyun too. And Baekbeom. He missed everyone.

Baekhyun looked over to where Jongdae was adjusting a hat on Tao's head. A sigh escaped his lips as he picked up the nearest item -- black plastic-rimmed glasses without any lenses. He put them on and walked over to the nearest mirror and after staring back at his reflection for about ten seconds, he tried the white one next. Anything to pass the time.

"Looks nice but I think the black one suits you better, or you can just buy both."

Baekhyun turned around to face a young man he'd never seen before. The stranger was wearing a pair of the same glasses Baekhyun was trying on, but in blue. Who the hell did he think he was trying to strike up a conversation with Baekhyun? "Should I?" Baekhyun asked anyway before taking off the glasses. "You wanna try it on? It's the last black one." Baekhyun pursed his lips as he overheard Jongdae and Tao laughing. He handed the glasses to the man, "The blue looks ugly on you, you try this."

Baekhyun heard a loud gasp nearby, followed by hushed whispers. The man smiled in amusement before switching the black for the blue. "You really think the blue's ugly? I like it better than the black one."

Jongdae rushed over to Baekhyun's side and hugged tightly onto Baekhyun's left arm. His mouth hung open while his eyes gaped at the man. When the man looked in their direction, Jongdae gasped and covered his mouth, bouncing up and down in excitement, "You're Eddy Kim!" Jongdae fumbled out his phone, "Can I take a picture with you? Please?" Baekhyun stared blankly at the man before him. Nope, he didn't know him, but Jongdae sure did. Tao joined them with a puzzled expression and looked to Baekhyun for help, but Baekhyun only shrugged.

The man grinned, "Sure."

"Baek, can you take our picture? Please," Jongdae held his phone to Baekhyun and begged him with wide eyes. You better take our ing picture, was what Jongdae's eyes said.

Baekhyun stepped back and held the phone up and began rapidly pressing the white circle, "Okay, ready? One, two three." Baekhyun probably took about 23 shots, but whatever. If Jongdae was that desperate for a photo with the man then Baekhyun had to make sure Jongdae got what he deserved.

"Wait," Jongdae said suddenly. "Did you want a picture too, Baek? Tao?" Tao looped his arm around Baekhyun's and dragged him over even though Baekhyun didn't really care. After Jongdae finished snapping the selcas he asked the man, "Can I buy something real quick and have you sign it? Do you have time? It's okay if you don't since I already got your picture." Eddy laughed light-heartedly and said he'd wait for Jongdae. With that, Jongdae scurried away.

"I'm sorry I don't know you, but apparently my friend does so you must be a singer?" Baekhyun said in the best way he could without offending the man.

"Yeah, I debuted recently. Your friend really surprised me, I didn't expect to meet a fan. What are your names?"

"I'm Byun Baekhyun, this is..." Baekhyun paused awkwardly as the name slipped his mind. He gestured for Tao to introduce himself. Surely Tao would know that much and he didn't disappoint.

"Huang Zitao. I'm visiting from China."

---

Jongdae leaped into Baekhyun's arms and clasped his hands together, entrapping Baekhyun against his chest. "I got selfies with Kim Eddy! Thank you so much! You're the best!" Jongdae planted a big, wet kiss on Baekhyun's cheek before suffocating Baekhyun even further. Jongdae almost kissed Baekhyun on the lips but Tao came through the door. Baekhyun sighed in relief when Jongdae let him go. Jongdae was practically drooling from excitement and Baekhyun absolutely did not want Jongdae to slobber him with drool.

"No problem." Baekhyun wiped Jongdae's saliva off his cheek, trying not think too much about it or else he might have to wash his face with holy water. Baekhyun side-glanced at Tao and silently thanked him, taking the other end of the bedsheet that Jongdae handed him.

"You said this is your brother's room? Is he okay with me sleeping here?" Tao asked, peering up at the framed picture of a young six-year-old Jongdae and nine-year-old Jongdeok sitting in a tent. Tao laughed and pointed to the picture, "You two were so cute!"

"Yeah, he's rarely here anyway," Jongdae said. "I'll go get you some pillows."

Tao joined Baekhyun on the bed and took out his phone. "I haven't introduced you to my girlfriend yet," he said excitedly. He swiped through the many pictures of himself and a pretty girl with chubby cheeks at what seemed like a zoo. "Her name's Meizhen but she lets me call her Meimei."

"She's cute," Baekhyun said, to which Tao paused and gave Baekhyun a strange look. "What?"

"She's mine."

Baekhyun scoffed incredulously. "I'm just saying that she's cute. I'm not interested. At all. I already have someone anyway."

"Oh you do?" Tao grinned. "Who is it? Do you have a picture?"

Jongdae chose that time to walk in at that moment with an armful of pillows. He tossed everything on the empty spot on the bed before seating himself beside Baekhyun. "What are you two up to?"

"Baekhyun says he has a girlfriend. Is he telling the truth?"

Baekhyun subtly shook his head as Jongdae turned to him. Baekhyun elbowed Jongdae in the side, "I said I have someone already because he was accusing me of oogling his girlfriend. So now he wants to see proof I have this someone."

"Yeah, he's got someone all right," Jongdae elbowed Baekhyun back, "but there aren't any pictures."

"Uh huh, sure," Tao clicked his tongue. "No photos, no proof."

Baekhyun's eyes narrowed in annoyance but he remained quiet. He'll let Tao believe whatever Tao wanted to believe. Baekhyun and his three close friends knew and that was all that mattered. He looped an arm around Jongdae's, "I have to get going. I've got a doctor's appointment in a couple hours." To Tao, Baekhyun said, "It was nice meeting you."

~~~

Two weeks, that's all it would take. It didn't sound as bad as 14 days or 336 hours, but the two weeks took two weeks too long. Jongdae was never around at lunch because he was always showing Tao around. If they ate, it was somewhere else. Once they ate at the table with Baekhyun and Kyungsoo, but Jongdae and Tao were talking the whole time in Chinese. Tao said it was so Jongdae wouldn't completely forget everything.

To keep his mind off Jongdae and Tao, Baekhyun focused on his studies with the occasional Well request. It felt so lonely without Jongdae or Chanyeol, or even Kyungsoo because Kyungsoo would miss a couple days each week for whatever reason. Whenever Kyungsoo texted Baekhyun to say he wouldn't be at lunch, Baekhyun remained in the classroom and snacked on a green apple he decided to take with him to school everyday.

Having all that time to himself allowed him to ponder his thoughts as he laid in bed trying to fall asleep. He couldn't remember the last time he saw his mother, so one evening as he and his father were eating dinner together, Baekhyun asked, "Dad, we should make Mom take a break."

"I've been thinking about that too," came the response. "I can see more gray hairs sprouting and her eye bags are no joke. Don't tell her I said that."

"How do we convince her to rest?"

"Well, your mother can't exactly just drop her case and go on a hiatus."

Baekhyun mentally rolled his eyes. "Can we ask her supervisor or boss or whatever you call the one in charge? Surely they can do something... like threaten Mom's job."

"Son."

"I'm just kidding," Baekhyun said. "We can convince Mom to take the weekend off at least, right?"

A grin spread across Byun Minbeom's face, "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

Probably not, but let's hear it.

That evening before Minbeom left for work, father and son discussed a plan in hopes to convince their favorite prosecutor to take a day off, if not a weekend. Their plan set in motion on a Friday evening when Suhyun arrived home. Minbeom, dressed in a white button-up shirt, greeted his wife at the front door and helped remove her coat and take her bag. Amused and too tired to complain, Suhyun followed her husband's instructions and sat down at the dining table. For the special occasion, the two boys decorated the table with a white tablecloth dotted with sky blue dots. It was meant for a boy's baby shower but it was on sale so Minbeom snagged it despite Baekhyun's protests. A small vase of fake flowers sat in the center of the table, mint candies scattered around the centerpiece.

"Feel free to snack on the candy. Your waiter will be here shortly," Minbeom bowed and disappeared into the kitchen, which he and Baekhyun set up a shoji screen to separate the kitchen and dining room. Suhyun smiled as her boys bickered to one another in hushed voices before her husband emerged from behind the screen with a CD case. He set it down in front of her, "Would you do the honor in choosing tonight's music?"

"What's the occasion for, might I ask?"

"A relaxing dinner for a lovely lady."

"Will I be having guests?"

"Ah yes, I believe so," Minbeom smiled. "Your handsome, well-humored, brilliant, intelligent, and perfectly flawed husband will be joining you along with your poor excuse of a son."

"Dad!"

The couple snickered to each other before Minbeom retreated into the kitchen. "Can't take a joke huh? Go take out the trash then, I'll cook."

"You take out the trash," Baekhyun said, but he handed the spatula to his father. Baekhyun tied and lifted the garbage bag out, hauling it along with him. His mother glanced up and he flashed a wide grin, "Don't mind me, Miss. Go ahead and choose a song."

Suhyun opted for classical music, something to calm the atmosphere. She ate a piece of candy as she waited for her dinner. From the familiar scent that wafted throughout the house, Minbeom was cooking his famous fried rice. As if Suhyun didn't get to eat it all the time whenever she asked... or didn't ask. It was all her husband really knew how to cook, but she wasn't complaining. She could also smell some banana muffins baking in the oven. She probably waited for about five minutes before she heard the stove shut off.

While the boys were setting up the dinner table, Baekhyun's foot caught in the music player's wire and he kicked the plug off the wall. The music abruptly stopped, the player sliding off the table. He shrieked in alarm and threw his hands out in time to catch the player before it fell and crushed his toes. "Fu--dge! That was close."

Suhyun tsked and shook his head. "You just had to get your father's clumsiness and vulgar language."

"Hey, at least he caught himself," Minbeom smirked. "Nice catch, son. Apologies for the music, it won't happen again." The two sat down and joined Suhyun, but no one made the first move to eat. Minbeom gestured to his wife, "Ladies first."

"Lady's first what?" Suhyun responded.

Baekhyun looked at one parent to the other, wishing they'd stop talking because he wanted to eat. He was starving and tired and his heart was pumping too fast from the accident earlier. "Sorry to interrupt," Baekhyun spoke up, "but your food will be getting cold soon. It's best to eat the rice while it's still warm."

Baekhyun's mother smiled at him before picking up her fork. Baekhyun his lips in anticipation as he watched his mother take the first bite. She nodded slowly as she chewed, letting the flavor dance on her tongue. Baekhyun mentally rolled his eyes. As if his mother hadn't eaten the rice before.

"It's a bit salty," Suhyun said.

"That's his fault," Minbeom immediately tilted his head toward Baekhyun. The timer beeped and Baekhyun rose up to take the muffins out the oven, after pinching his father's back of course.

Afterwards, three began to eat. No one said a word, which Baekhyun found strange. He was expecting his father to say something first, because they were doing a special dinner for his mother, weren't they? As if Suhyun read her son's thoughts, she cleared and focused her attention on her two boys. "Is there something you two want?"

"Baekhyun," Minbeom gestured to the young man his chopsticks. "Go on, tell her." He resumed eating after throwing Baekhyun under the bus.

Baekhyun said, "Well Mom, we were hoping you'd take a break from work. We miss you. Well, I do. I haven't seen you around for awhile. We want Baekbeom home as much as you do, but you have to take care of your health first. What do you even do? I heard you lost your most recent case."

"I don't know, Baekhyun, I really don't. I search for evidence that won't appear. I believe there may be something that remains at Yoonkyu that will help--"

"Mom, please just stay home and rest for awhile. You're doing the amount of work that should take two prosecutors, if not three. Dad already talked to your boss-lady. Even she agrees. And don't use money as an excuse, Dad's working at the nightclub and we have enough money as it is. You taking half a year off wouldn't even make a difference."

Suhyun nodded reluctantly, "You're right, Hyunnie. I talked with Ahrin before I left work. You've convinced me."

And this is why I let him talk.

After eating, Baekhyun ended up doing the dishes while his mother disappeared upstairs to change and his father helped clean up the decorations. Minbeom left after giving both his wife and son kisses on the cheeks. Baekhyun's expression went sour even after his father shut the front door. Baekhyun rubbed his face as he joined his mother on the couch. "What's on TV?"

"Nothing worth watching, that's what. What do you expect me to do while I'm not at work?"

"We can always talk, we haven't talked in a long time."

"Talk about what?"

Silence ensued between mother and son with the TV playing quietly. Baekhyun racked his brain for anything but all he kept thinking of was Baekbeom and he didn't have the heart to talk to his mother about something she wasn't supposed to be so hung up on. He could talk about his own school life but his mother might not be as interested as she used to be and quite frankly, Baekhyun didn't have anything to say... except he had a secret boyfriend. He would ask about her work but that would be the same as if she hadn't taken a break from work.

His parents were married for over twenty-five years. Maybe he could secretly get some relationship advice. "Hey Mom," Baekhyun said. When she didn't respond, he continued, "Mom, Mom, Mom, are you listening? Mom. Mommy. Mom. Mom."

"What? I heard you the first time. I'm sitting right here."

Baekhyun broke into a smile before asking, "How did you know that Dad was the one?" His mother suddenly burst into laughter which confused Baekhyun. "Is it that funny?"

"Oh... I'm sorry. It's just that your father and I absolutely hated each other when we first met in high school. We sat according to our names and your father was always behind me, kicking underneath my chair or pulling at my ponytail. Gym was even worse," Suhyun rolled her eyes at her high school memories. If someone had told her she'd be marrying the idiot who always failed to beat her in the mile run, she would have laughed. Yet here Byun Suhyun was talking to her second son, the offspring she and Byun Minbeom created together over 18 years ago.

"Something must have happened then," Baekhyun said as he recalled the numerous times his parents showed affection toward each other and how they used to kiss in front of him when he was younger just to .

"Yes. It happened during college. We were always competitive for the top 10th spot in high school and that didn't stop even in college. The two of us were working toward a law degree so we had several of the same courses. We compared every score we got even if it wasn't for the same professor, as long as the course was the same. There was a dreadful presentation during our third year. Your father wasn't my partner originally but mine dropped the course halfway and he came up to me asking if I wanted to pair up since he was going to do it solo, but decided it was too difficult."

Baekhyun nodded as he listened. She wasn't answering his question but it was interesting to know that part. He enjoyed seeing his mother's smile and just spending time with her.

"We got to know one another better while working on the presentation. Later on I asked your father out and he said yes."

"You did?" Baekhyun gasped in awe. "Dad always told me he asked you out first."

His mother laughed shyly, a hand over , "If you count the times I rejected him, yes he asked me first."

"Wow, Mom," Baekhyun chuckled, "playing hard-to-get weren't you? But what made you change your mind?"

"It was an experiment truthfully. That's what dates are for, Hyunnie. You go on dates to determine whether that person remains by your side. Your father's charms kept me."

"Sounds nice. How long did you and Dad wait before one of you said 'I love you'?"

"Your father did after we dated for about seven months. Why are you suddenly asking about me this? Did you find a girl you like? Do you have a secret girlfriend?" she asked with an amused smile. "Who's the poor unfortunate soul?"

Baekhyun scoffed and rolled his eyes after averting his eyes from his mother's, "I am not as terrible and awful as you make me out to be. I'm a nice person."

"Sure, Hyunnie."

"I am! I'm nice! People like me at my school, Mom. I'm like a... a lifesaver."

His mother stared at him silently with a playful smirk that drove Baekhyun nuts. "People like you, you say? The last I remember, you said you don't like people, but somehow they like you? Something's not right here. It doesn't add up."

"Stop being so mean to me!" Baekhyun whined. "You and Dad and Baekbeom are so mean to me. I'm likeable. I have friends, you know. Look at Jongdae, for crying out loud."

"What about Jongdae?"

"We like each other, obviously."

Suhyun chuckled, shaking her head in amusement. She and her husband knew how difficult Baekhyun could be and hard it was to be friends with him. It was a miracle Baekhyun liked Chanyeol and Joonmyun. Later came Kyungsoo and then Jongdae. Suhyun still remembered how surprising it was when Baekhyun said he was sleeping over at a new friend's house. "Oh really now? Are your feelings genuine? It's not just because you both have mutual friends?"

"No, I don't go down that path."

"Not you, but Jongdae. He's too good for you."

"What?" Baekhyun gasped. He tossed the nearest pillow at his mother, but she caught it effortlessly and threw it back, smacking Baekhyun in the face. "You're so mean to me!" Baekhyun whined again. "Jongdae and I are on great terms."

"Meaning?"

"We kiss and--" Baekhyun froze instantly, the color drained from his face, but it was too late. He'd spilled the beans. He struggled to make an excuse or even lie but the words remained stuck in his throat while his mouth pathetically opened and closed. He knew his mother wasn't stupid or clueless in the least bit and she had definitely caught on; the expression on her face made Baekhyun wish he could jump into a black hole.

"Kiss?"

.

Baekhyun choked out a laugh that sounded like a cackle, "Kiss... and hug. Everyone does it. It's how we say hi. Everyone does it, not just us... it's the trend that students do these days. We... kiss each other... on the cheeks. We even slap each other's butts. Not me and Jongdae, not us. I-I mean we do, but... that's because everyone else does it too. It's totally normal. There's just... lots of physical and... intimate interactions these days. Not like in your time." Baekhyun knew he should have stopped the moment he brought up the dumb trend excuse. His mother wasn't buying it and he'd just wasted his breath. He wanted to faint and go into a coma.

His cackling mixed with sobbing once his mother embraced him and whispered, "Byun Baekhyun, I promise to take the whole week off if you tell me everything."

What else was Baekhyun supposed to do?

 


 

YO, I'm super excited for the next few chapters. The scenes I've prepared weeks and months ago are starting to fit in the story and I'm so happy! I didn't cry writing my fanfic for nothing! It's too bad I won't be posting them up anytime soon ;; this once a month thing feels like a drag, but at least I'm still updating. I'm my biggest fan, I have to xD

I want to say a fat thanks to those of you who are still reading this mess of a fanfic, I love you. I hope you don't get too bored. I totally understand esp since I halted my Yoonkyu Fire plot awhile back and started focusing on Baekhyun and his life through a timeline, which is what I actually wanted from the start. The Fire just happened to be the starting point in which we begin to see Baekhyun's life.

--151018 (Sn)