Chance

Free of Charge

Chapter Eighteen: Chance

chance: accidental event; luck or fortune; fate

~*~

Instead of giving Baekhyun Taemin's number, Jongdae contacted Taemin and set up a quick meeting outside of Taemin's high school. Although the distance was further than Baekhyun would have liked, he managed to beg and plead Joonmyun into driving him for 100,000 won.

"Do you really not remember who put his car keys in?" Baekhyun asked Joonmyun for the hundredth time.

"No, Baekhyun. I don't. I would appreciate it if you stopped asking. Consistent pestering won't make me suddenly remember."

"What about--"

"Baekhyun," Jongdae leaned forward in his seat and touched Baekhyun's shoulder. "He doesn't remember."

Baekhyun frowned and turned his attention to Taemin's ring. He found the ring after breaking Jongdae's heart, but after finding out who it belonged to, he and Jongdae started making out on his bedroom floor. Baekhyun's cheeks flushed at the memory. Couple rings... Baekhyun hadn't thought about couple items. He did have that idiot shirt that Kyungsoo gave him, in fact he was wearing it beneath Joonmyun's sweater. Did Jongdae have his too? It was time they went shopping together.

Perhaps Baekhyun was being too harsh on Chanyeol and Jaehwa. Maybe they felt the same way as he did with Jongdae. But full on making out in a roomful of people... the thought made Baekhyun queasy.

Joonmyun's eyes briefly landed on Baekhyun to his right and through the rearview mirror at Jongdae before focusing on the road, "Call me crazy, but I swear you two have been way too much time together."

"What do you mean?" Baekhyun asked.

"Not to reopen wounds, but is it really that easy to get back together?"

"It was just a misunderstanding," Jongdae said. "Remember?"

"I'm not talking about the one who started it all. I'm saying that... ah, nevermind." It wasn't Joonmyun's place to question another's friendship. Joonmyun just found it odd, and remarkable, that Baekhyun and Jongdae seemed more closer than ever. Not to mention that everyone knew Jongdae's feelings for Baekhyun.

"No, say what's on your mind," Baekhyun insisted. "We still have about a good ten minutes."

Joonmyun released a breathy laugh, wishing he'd never opened his mouth in the first place. "Baekhyun, in all the years that I've known you, you would never let anyone touch you, let alone hug you from behind."

He's onto us, ha.

Baekhyun and Jongdae remained silent, waiting for Joonmyun to continue. Instead, Joonmyun the stereo and let the music fill the silence that stretched on until they arrived at Moojun High School where they could spot Taemin near the gates. Joonmyun stopped the truck, "Off you go."

"You two stay here," Baekhyun ordered before hopping out, as if they were planning to leave him behind. The cold whipping his cheeks, Baekhyun approached the young man, "Hey. Sorry for calling you out in the cold."

"No worries. Jongdae said you found my ring and wanted to know about the party?"

Baekhyun nodded, the ring inside his pocket as he eyed the ring on Taemin's finger. Taemin had gotten a replacement. Baekhyun withdrew the item and handed it over, "I found it awhile ago. Jongdae said it belongs to you."

Taemin cracked a smile, "Yeah, I thought I lost it forever. Where did you get it? It wasn't from your mother was it?"

"No, I found it on my own," Baekhyun said quietly. He awkwardly hugged himself, not really knowing what to say.

"Anything specific I can help you with?"

"Do you remember anything from that night? While you guys were giving your items, like who gave up what?"

Taemin slowly shook his head. "Barely."

---

Inside the truck, Jongdae leaned forward and squinted his eyes at the two standing outside. "How long do you think they're going to take?"

Joonmyun shrugged before turn his head to look at Jongdae, "Can I ask you something?"

"What?" Jongdae faced Joonmyun, their faces closer than he'd expected. He hastily sat back in his seat, "Ask away."

"Are you and Baekhyun... I mean.... do you still have feelings for him?"

"Yeah."

"And you're okay with just being friends?"

Jongdae hesitated. How could he answer that? If things hadn't turned out the way it did, would Jongdae really be okay with it?

"I was just wondering," Joonmyun said, sensing the uneasiness, "because you seem closer than before. And you two seem really happy."

"Yeah, we just... we talked it out."

"You're not dating by any chance are you?" Joonmyun blurted out. He was eager for some exciting news and was rather hoping they were. "I'll keep it a secret, trust me."

Jongdae, failing to hide his surprised smile, quickly covered his face with his hands. How bad Jongdae ached to tell someone about his love life. "No," he said but they both knew it was a bad lie.

Joonmyun laughed in delight, slapping Jongdae's shoulder, "Hey, what's this? You are! Since when?"

Jongdae shrugged, "Some time in December."

Joonmyun couldn't believe what he was hearing. Byun Baekhyun actually found someone he was willing to let into his life? "Wow, who else knows? Chanyeol? Kyungsoo?"

"No one."

Joonmyun wanted to inquire more about the new couple but at that moment Baekhyun opened the front passenger door and stepped inside. Baekhyun sighed in annoyance as he slammed the door shut, "Taemin either doesn't know or he's hiding something." Baekhyun pursed his lips as he dug through his wallet and pulled out several bills and tossing them onto Joonmyun's lap. He proceeded to to put his hands in front of the heater, "I'm not just being paranoid."

"I don't understand why you didn't give the ring to your mom," Joonmyun said as he put away the money. "She is a prosecutor, she has more power and authority than you."

"Cause then I'd be inclined to tell her about you and Joonwoo. Then, she'd know we didn't study like we were supposed to and you took off to the party while I took some drugs to help me fall asleep."

Jongdae leaned forward in his seat, holding onto the bars of Baekhyun's headrest, "You ever think you guys might be bugged. What if the government just heard you?"

Baekhyun gave off short, loud laughs, "Then I'll tell them that Byun Baekbeom is innocent. He wasn't even at Yoonkyu before or after it caught on fire. He was at a ing medical clinic!"

"Hey," Joonmyun was close to yelling, "calm down."

"Where is Jongdeok? I want to talk to him again, ask if he remembers Taemin or the car key owner."

Jongdae sat back in his seat with a roll of his eyes. "You think I didn't already? You think it's that easy to contact him?"

---

Later after his mother returned home, Baekhyun approached her after deciding what to say. He was pretty sure his mom would tell him to off, well not literally, but something telling him to back off. It didn't hurt to try however.

"Mom," Baekhyun offered a smile, "are you busy?"

"You want something, don't you? What is it?" she replied without glancing up from her phone. Baekhyun sat down beside her, suddenly not sure how to spit out the words. Noting the silence, Mrs. Byun's eyes locked onto her son's. "Well?"

Baekhyun hesitated. It wasn't hard to miss the exhaustion lurking in his mother's eyes, the subtle sadness, hurt, and anger. Long hours of searching for evidence for the real arsonist while working on cases from the office had put such a toll on her.

"Baekhyun--"

The raven-haired boy leaned forward and embraced his mother, fighting back sudden tears. Multiple people have expressed their concerns for his mother but due to the fact that he rarely saw her, it was difficult to find time to sit and just talk. She had already lost touch with one son, she shouldn't lose the other who lived under the same roof.

Mrs. Byun gingerly patted her son's shoulder, "Is something wrong?" When Baekhyun failed to respond, she added, "Was it something Baekbeom wrote?" It took awhile but Baekhyun eventually recollected himself and explained that he wanted to help with the investigation. The second he mentioned about the investigation, his mother stopped him. "I know you want to help, but there isn't anything you can do."

"But we figured out that the one who started the fire drove away."

"So did plenty others. It doesn't lead us anywhere, sweetheart. We don't have substantial evidence."

"Jongdeok can be your witness." Baekhyun wished he could just hand over the names to his mother but that would result in having to explain what he and Joonmyun were doing the evening before the fire. It would break the trust between him and Joonmyun and Baekhyun didn't wish to end things with Joonmyun in that state weeks before Joonmyun moved away.

Baekhyun's mother sighed, "We've already to spoken to him. He's helped as much as he could. Just focus on school okay? Let us handle this, Hyunnie. It's our job after all."

"But--"

"Baekhyun, let me tell you a little secret," Mrs. Byun smiled sadly. "Your brother could have easily been let off despite the evidence against him and his confession had the case been thoroughly investigated, but due to the desperation for the arsonist who burned down a school -- a school Baekhyun -- your brother's confession was used against him."

"He shouldn't have gotten that heavy of a sentence since he confessed. It's not as if the school burned down with students inside. No one was injured."

"Believe it or not, it was a lot higher. Jongdae's father managed to lower it. Our leaders don't take schools burnings lightly. Education is important, now go study."

"It's Sunday, I don't want to." Baekhyun stood up in defeat and irritation as obscene curses screamed in his mind. Everything was so unfair.

"Don't be like your brother."

Baekhyun paused by the stairs, brows furrowed in confusion. He turned back to look at his mom, "What?"

"He's got a kind heart, too kind to point where he would blatantly lie and keep secrets to protect those around him, even strangers."

Mrs. Byun instantly regretted her careless words. She should have remained quiet; some things are better left unsaid. She had no intention of hurting her son but the moment those words left her lips she realized how they could have been misinterpreted, but Baekhyun already disappeared before she could say anything further.

~~~

Baekhyun and Jongdae were out on a shopping date after Baekhyun randomly called and said he was coming over so they could head out together. They took the bus and arrived at the mall, entering at least three shops before they left and went to search for clothing stores nearby the mall. Still nothing. Then Baekhyun remembered the shop Jongdae bought the jacket for him for Christmas. Since it was was getting dark and they had yet to find a pair of shirts, the couple headed to Geurae Clothing only to find the shop closed. So they went into the one next door.

They combed through the clothes rack unsuccessfully. Nothing appealing caught both their eyes, either Jongdae liked something but Baekhyun hated it or vice versa. Baekhyun randomly picked out a blue and black striped shirt, "What about this?"

"That is so ugly," Jongdae said without batting an eye.

"Yeah it is," Baekhyun agreed before returning it. He only grabbed it because the back looked nice, but once he saw the front... no. Baekhyun sighed before intentionally bumping shoulders with Jongdae, "Who knew shopping for couple shirts was so hard."

"Why don't we ask the guy for help?" Jongdae suggested, noticing the male employee that kept glancing at them every once in awhile as if he wished to talk to them but didn't know how. Baekhyun looked up to see who Jongdae was referring to, only to accidentally make eye contact. He gestured for the employee over with a wave of the hand.

"Good idea. Maybe he can help us."

"I wasn't serious," Jongdae muttered as the employee approached them.

"Hello, did you need something?" the man asked with a polite smile. He had noticed the two for at least thirty minutes, one always shaking his head at the other's clothing suggestion. He'd wanted to offer his assistance but he was still fairly new at the job. Not to mention he knew who Baekhyun was.

The raven-haired boy replied, "Do you other shirts that aren't so... ugly? Or something that couples can wear together?" Jongdae gasped, lightly punching Baekhyun's side. How could Baekhyun just flat out call the shirts ugly?

The man tried suppressing a smile, "I understand what you mean. So you two are looking for couple shirts? We actually have more clothes downstairs in our basement. They run a little higher regarding price, but there's a good variety."

"You have a downstairs?" Baekhyun asked. "Sure, lead us there." The couple followed the man toward the back of the store and down a stairwell. If it weren't for other people walking up and down the stairs, Baekhyun and Jongdae swore the man was attempting to kidnap or kill them.

"Are the... shirts for you two or both of you and your girlfriends?" the man asked carefully, not wanting to offend his customers.

"It's for us," Baekhyun responded with a smile.

With a nod, the man led to them to the uni section, "You should find something here. If you need further assistance you can ask around. I'll be here as well." The man smiled before leaving.

"Is it okay for us to tell him we're dating?" Jongdae asked Baekhyun.

"Of course. Who is he going to tell? Not like he knows us anyway."

"I can already tell these clothes are better." Jongdae took the nearest shirt off the rack.

Baekhyun nodded and looked at all the mannequins, two in particular. He patted Jongdae's shoulder, "Hey those bastards stole our shirts." Confused, Jongdae followed the direction of Baekhyun's finger to two headless mannequins wearing shirts with Idiot imprinted in the center.  Jongdae stared in disbelief. Did Kyungsoo actually give him and Baekhyun couple shirts? How funny. Baekhyun laughed and elbowed Jongdae in the side, "Kyungsoo's been shipping us since September."

It only took five minutes of searching and a minute to try on the shirts before Baekhyun purchased the items. Jongdae had protested, wanting to pay for his shirt but Baekhyun struck a deal that Jongdae would pay for their drinks the next time they went out.

"Hey, Kyungsoo's birthday is coming up. Let's get him something," Baekhyun said as soon as they were outside. He pursed his lips in thought as to what Kyungsoo would like. "We should take him out to eat. Food's always good."

"Do you always take your friends out to eat on their birthdays?"

"Yeah cause my presence is a gift," Baekhyun winked before walking on ahead and leaving Jongdae behind. He sent Kyungsoo a text asking the soon-to-be birthday boy when and where he'd like eat for his birthday.

"Is it just going to be you and Kyungsoo?"

"Aww, why? Are you upset because I took off the morning we woke up for Chanyeol? You can come along too of course."

"How about I pay for that instead that," Jongdae suggested but the moment he said so Baekhyun shook his head. "Why? I don't want to feel like I owe you."

"Why would you need to owe me? We're boyfriends," Baekhyun stated, forgetting they were out in public. A couple of passerbys who heard sent the two awkward glances before hurrying on their way. Baekhyun rolled his eyes before pulling Jongdae along with him. "It's my treat, sweetie. I'm the one who dragged you out here to get shirts."

"Okay, I'll pay for drinks. But for Kyungsoo's birthday I'll pay for my portion while you pay for yours and his. Deal?"

Baekhyun grinned and entwined his hand with Jongdae's, "Deal."

~~~

"Why is there so much traffic?" Baekhyun grumbled under his breath. "We're going to be late."

"Hey, at least we'll be there for them to announce the news, good or bad."

Baekhyun shifted uncomfortably in his seat and peered out the window. "Most likely some idiot got into a car accident."

"Well, I hope they're okay." Jongdae tried looking but he only crane his neck so far. His phone vibrated in his hand -- Kyungsoo. Jongdae slid his thumb over the green button, "Hello?"

"Where the hell are you guys? We're about to go in." The second Kyungsoo said those words, Jongdae heard a voice in the background telling everyone to put those phones away. "I have to go."

Jongdae sighed and pouted at Baekhyun, "They're going in now."

"What?" Baekhyun groaned. If they had taken their bikes like Jongdae suggested, they wouldn't have been stuck on the road miles away from their destination. "You think the bus driver would let us out here? It's probably faster if we just walked."

"I doubt that."

Baekhyun stood up and headed over to the bus driver, pleading for him to let them off. The bus driver refused, claiming about safety and regulations. Baekhyun returned and slumped in his seat.

Jongdae took off his left ear bud and gave it to Baekhyun, "Here."

For a whole stupid hour they sat side-by-side listening to Jongdae's MP3 player. Once the bus stopped, Baekhyun jumped up from his seat and pulled Jongdae out by the hand. Baekhyun and Jongdae followed the instructions given by Baekhyun's GPS app until they arrived at a large building where hundreds of people awaited outside, including Chanyeol's parents, Kyungsoo's mother, and Joonmyun.

"About time you two showed up," Joonmyun stated. "They should be done any--"

Chanyeol's light monotone shout of excitement caught everyone's attention. The tall brunet had the hugest grin on his face, completely different from Kyungsoo's smile. Chanyeol sped down the steps, arms outsprea as he headed straight for the nearest person -- his father.

"You two made it?" Kyungsoo's mother asked as she hugged her son. Kyungsoo nodded eagerly, the smile never faltering.

"We just have to go over the terms and sign a contract. They said they'll call us and set up a meeting," Kyungsoo responded. After another hug from his mother, Kyungsoo approached Jongdae, "When did you guys arrive?"

"Just now," Jongdae laughed before patting Kyungsoo's back. "So you're going to be a famous singer, hmm?"

"Don't get into any scandals," Baekhyun said as he had to Chanyeol before. Although he may have said it jokingly, Baekhyun really meant it. Not that his mother was a celebrity, but as a public figure she had more to worry about than most. Sadly, with Baekbeom -- the son of Byun Suhyun -- charged as the Yoonkyu Fire arsonist, several people looked down on their family, especially at her. Not only that but many celebrities in the past were targeted because of either something stupid they said or did. Baekhyun wouldn't want that to happen to his friends.

"So, we're heading to the restaurant to celebrate the good news?" Mr. Park laughed, his son still clinging onto him.

"If you're paying," Baekhyun smiled. Everyone in the group paused, eyes either on Baekhyun or Mr. Park.

"What are you talking about? I thought you were paying for everything," Mr. Park responded, a puzzled expression crossing his face. "Wasn't that what you said?"

"Everyone has to get the cheapest item off the menu and can only drink water then," Baekhyun said, his smile vanishing.

Not three seconds later, the two burst into laughter and Mr. Park threw an arm around Baekhyun's shoulders, "Of course everything will be on the house! Let's go!"

Baekhyun and Jongdae hopped into the car with Joonmyun while Kyungsoo joined his mother and Chanyeol with his parents. Kyungsoo had wanted to join Baekhyun and the others but he didn't want to leave his mother alone in the car. He asked Jongdae to come in with him, but Baekhyun insisted Jongdae join him with Joonmyun.

Joonmyun couldn't wipe the smile off his face as he followed behind Mrs. Do's car to the restaurant. "You know," he began, stealing a glimpse at Jongdae through the rearview mirror, "you two are adorable. I might cry when I leave because I can't watch you two be cute together."

"Excuse me?" Baekhyun responded. "What are you talking about?" Joonmyun shook his head in amusement, his smile only growing bigger. Baekhyun twisted around in his seat to look at Jongdae, "What is he talking about?"

Jongdae's cheeks flushed but he lightly smacked Baekhyun's arm, "Turn around and face forward, the car's moving."

"I'm so sorry Jongdae," Joonmyun chuckled. He tried his best to keep the secret, but whenever he saw the two together his chest swelled in excitement and pride, as if Baekhyun was his little brother who found love for the first time. He found it rather hard to pretend not to notice, but it was obvious especially after knowing they were dating. He saw everything he needed to at lunch, it was strange Chanyeol and Kyungsoo hadn't realized yet. Or perhaps they just remained silent.

"What did Jongdae do?" Baekhyun demanded. "Don't keep me in the dark, Joonmyun. You know I hate that."

"I know about you two lovebirds. I'm so proud of you Baekhyun, you managed to capture someone's heart."

Baekhyun scoffed, arms folded across his chest. "Excuse me?"

"Believe it or not, you make it hard for people to get to you. I got lucky cause I'm useful to you and I knew Baekbeom. Chanyeol has been your friend since forever, Kyungsoo had Chanyeol to convince you. Kyungsoo brought Jongdae to you. Really, do you have any friends other than us?"

"Uhh, yeah I do," Baekhyun argued. Silence filled the truck as Joonmyun and Jongdae awaited for a name or two. Baekhyun pursed his lips when he couldn't think of anyone, " you're right. But what's your point?"

"You two are lucky, that's all. Baekhyun, who hates basically everyone, managed to get Jongdae. Jongdae who likes Baekhyun, who basically hates everyone, managed to get Baekhyun.

Baekhyun smiled, gently touching Joonmyun's shoulder, "Thank you. I'm touched."

"You're the one touching me."

Jongdae didn't know why but he started laughing and couldn't stop. It couldn't have been what Joonmyun said because it wasn't that funny. For whatever mysterious reason, the laughter spread to Joonmyun and eventually Baekhyun. Jongdae clutched his sides in pain laughter, tears springing from the corners of his eyes.

But what Joonmyun said about how lucky he was...

Thank you.

~~~

Baekhyun, Jongdae, and Kyungsoo went out to one of Kyungsoo's favorite places not far from Baekhyun's place where they served grilled pork belly on a Thursday evening after school, about a week and a half after Kyungsoo's actually birthday. As promised Jongdae paid for his part while Baekhyun took care of the rest. Jongdae had gotten his best friend a gift, hence the reason he felt so adamant to pay for himself.

It was a water bottle. Even without an explanation, Kyungsoo laughed and thanked the brunet. Baekhyun didn't understand and had Kyungsoo explain, "Cause I'm going to be singing a lot, I should keep myself hydrated."

The trio walked home in the direction of Baekhyun's house to drop the raven-haired boy home first. They began to wish they had ridden their bikes or gotten a ride from someone instead of walking on a full stomach, especially Baekhyun. Jongdae tried keeping the atmosphere up saying they were walking away the calories they just ate but that only further made Baekhyun hate everything.

"Jongdae, how strong are you?" Baekhyun asked, his head on Jongdae's shoulder. "Are you able to carry me?"

"It depends how heavy you are," Jongdae responded. Baekhyun tugged him to a halt and hopped on Jongdae's back, ready to hop off should Jongdae start tilting to the side and losing his balance. But Jongdae was able to carry his weight, or at least it appeared that way. Jongdae softly grunted as he put his arms back, "Give me your legs."

Kyungsoo realized his friends were no longer by his side. He turned around with a sigh and stopped walking, "Are you two serious?" Baekhyun gave Kyungsoo a thumbs-up as Jongdae took a few steps forward.

"Are you comfortable enough?" Baekhyun whispered to Jongdae.

"Mhmm."

"Are you sure? I can get down. I don't want to be responsible for breaking your back."

"I'll tell you when I'm tired."

Baekhyun rested his head against Jongdae with a wide grin on his face, "I'm not usually this heavy okay? I just ate a lot earlier."

A chuckle escaped Jongdae's lips as the brunet caught up with Kyungsoo. Baekhyun wasn't heavy, nor was he was light, but Jongdae felt pretty sure he could manage the whole way to Baekhyun's.

Kyungsoo just smiled at them. If he didn't know any better he'd say they were a couple, but Byun Baekhyun was just being a lazy using all his available resources as usual. "Thanks for taking me out for my birthday guys. I appreciate it."

---

Try as he might, Baekhyun could not fall asleep. He twisted and turned in his bed, kicked his covers off then pulled them back over him. He stared at his alarm clock, the dim red numbers mocking at him.

12:33 am.

Baekhyun readjusted his blankets and pillows before attempting to fall asleep once more, but the ticking of the wall clock seemed to intensify with each second until it became an ear-defeaning drum.

Would Jongdae be awake?

Baekhyun reached for his phone, squinting his eyes as the bright screen nearly blinded him. He found Jongdae's number and sent his boyfriend a late-night text.

Baekhyun would give Jongdae at most ten minutes. If he received no response by then, he'd just have to close his eyes and wait until sleep came knocking at his door.

---

Jongdae's heart leaped as his phone vibrated from atop his night stand and startled him awake. Grumbling under his breath upon realizing he'd forgotten to mute his phone, he saw that Baekhyun had texted him.

My Baby: You still awake?

A sigh escaped the brunet's lips as he rubbed his and yawned, stealing a glance at the time. Another sigh escaped. Jongdae sat up and stared into the darkness, contemplating whether he should reply back.

"Go to sleep, Baekhyun," Jongdae muttered as if Baekhyunwere actually there with him.

I'm so tired.

---

Not two minutes later, Baekhyun's phone screen lit up, and he broke into a wide smile. He the lamp and sat upright, tapping on the text to see its full message.

my sun: yup, couldn't sleep. i'm just laying here here waiting for the darkness to consume me (:

Baekhyun: same here, idk what to do

my sun: think of me~

my sun: obviously you did cause you texted me ha

Baekhyun: i'm not bothering you am i?

Baekhyun: i mean

Baekhyun: it's late and we have school tomorrow

Baekhyun: should prob sleep

my sun: we should but we're already texting each other

Baekhyun: when is the next time you're coming over?

my sun: whenever

Baekhyun: what about tomorrow after school then?

my sun: actually i have after school academy to go to

Baekhyun: WHAT

Baekhyun: ??????????

Baekhyun: SINCE WHEN????

Baekhyun: JONGDAE.................???

my sun: relax i'm kidding. my parents and i talked about it but my grades are still good so i opted out

Baekhyun: you don't do that to me

my sun: if i spend any more time with you doing nothing i might just have to

my sun: jkjk don't take me seriously

Baekhyun: are you drunk

my sun: no why

Baekhyun: you're making an awful lot of awful jokes

Baekhyun: joon does this too

Baekhyun: drunk texting

my sun: you're a joke

Baekhyun: makes sense, you love jokes

my sun: lame jokes, according to you ;)

Baekhyun: shut up --Sent at 12:44 am.

Minutes passed by and Jongdae had yet to reply.

Baekhyun: i'm sorry i didn't mean that --Sent at 12:51 am.

Baekhyun waited a couple more minutes before texting again.

Baekhyun: jongdae... --Sent at 12:55 am.

Baekhyun: jongdae --Sent at 12:56 am.

Baekhyun: jongdae

Baekhyun: pls come back --Sent at 12:58 am.

Baekhyun: jongdaeeeeee

Baekhyun: *inserts sad face* --Sent at 1:02 am.

Baekhyun: ;__;

Baekhyun: sweetie pls come back

Baekhyun: don't leave me alone --Sent at 1:05 am.

Baekhyun released a sad sigh before giving up. He glimpsed at the clock before trying to fall asleep, but he couldn't stop thinking about Jongdae.

He probably just went to sleep, that's all.

Baekhyun kept convincing himself that Jongdae wasn't mad at him, there was no reason anyway. Eventually he closed his eyes and sleep overcame him.

---

Jongdae cringed the moment he saw the text messages from Baekhyun. Jongdae only meant to tease his boyfriend by staying silent for a few minutes, but in those few minutes Jongdae accidentally went back to sleep.

Once Jongdae found Baekhyun at school he quickly explained what happened and ended with an apologetic hug. Baekhyun simply shrugged the matter off. The couple walked as slowly as their legs allowed them as they discussed about their plans that night. They found nothing to agree on in the seven minutes it took for them to get into class.

Baekhyun sat down with a sigh, "We can think of something later, we have all day."

A few minutes passed by.

"Hey, let's go shopping together," Baekhyun said.

"For what?" Chanyeol responded but realized that Baekhyun wasn't addressing him. Baekhyun hadn't even heard Chanyeol, either that or he ignored the tall brunet. Of course Baekhyun wouldn't be talking to him but Jongdae. Everything was Jongdae. Jongdae, Jongdae, Jongdae. Jongdae this, Jongdae that.

I can't, I'm with Jongdae right now.

Maybe next time. Jongdae's helping me with something.

It's fine now, Jongdae got it.

Forget it, I'll ask Jongdae.

I'm studying with Jongdae.

I'm bringing Jongdae along.

Chanyeol stared at the two talking amongst themselves, with Baekhyun sitting backwards in his chair with his elbows propped on top of Jongdae's desk. Their faces were inches apart as they began whispered and smiled to themselves.

What happened to them?

Whatever it was, Chanyeol was glad to see Baekhyun with a smile rather than the usual scowl. If he actually signed a contract with CG Entertainment then Baekhyun would need another friend to spill secrets to. Still, Chanyeol couldn't help feeling left out. He leaned closer to his friends who didn't even seem to notice him and whispered, "What are you two whispering about?"

The two ceased their conversation to look at the curious brunet. Seconds ticked before Jongdae answered, "Baekhyun wants to go shopping for clothes. Why don't you come with us?"

Baekhyun kicked his boyfriend underneath the desk before smiling at his best friend, "You're busy, aren't you Chanyeol? You don't have to."

"When?" Chanyeol inquired. "I've been meaning to buy new pairs of jeans."

"T-Tonight," Baekhyun reluctantly answered. His hopes of snagging a date with Jongdae crushed to ruins when Chanyeol grinned and asked where and when they should meet up.

"Great. Should we ask Kyungsoo too?" Chanyeol smiled.

Baekhyun forced a smile before waving his hand in the air, "Sure. Why not? The more the merrier, right?" Baekhyun followed with fake laughter, resuming back to his position with his head resting in his hands and elbows propped on Jongdae's desk. His eyes sent invisible lightning bolts to his boyfriend with a small head tilt so Chanyeol couldn't see his face, "Why don't you message Kyungsoo right now?"

"Of course," Jongdae smiled mockingly. Unfazed by his boyfriend's glare, Jongdae withdrew his phone and shot Kyungsoo a text. "Why don't we invite Joonmyun too?"

Seconds later, Baekhyun's hand shot to his right thigh where his phone vibrated within his pant pocket.

my sun: sorry babe, it would seem weird for us to exclude him

my sun: i'd have lied but someone told me i was a bad liar

my sun: being the smartass you should have said smth

 


 

I am so sorry this took so long. I felt like it was being too rushed so I had to move the ending of the original chapter to the next one and that meant adding more scenes to fill in the gaps. I feel like I'm really dragging this out lmao I don't know how to pace the story sorry sorry xD Thank you for your patience :)

Chapter title is subjected to change later unless I get lazy.

....why is AFF always so laggy wtf took me forever to make edits