Respite

Free of Charge

Chapter Fourteen: Respite

respite: a short period of relief; a temporary delay

~*~

The moment the two young men stepped out the truck they were whipped by the cold wind. They rushed into the store, thankful once the door shut and warmth enveloped their shivering bodies. The powerful scent of rubber made Baekhyun want to gag but he needed a new bike and the store was having a sale.

Joonmyun chuckled as he patted Baekhyun's hair down, "Your roots are starting to show."

"Well, I haven't had time..." Baekhyun said, his voice trailing off as something caught his eye. He scurried across the store to the light gray bike, his heart thumping in excitement. The bicycle was beautiful in its simplicity.

"These bikes aren't on sale," Joonmyun note, but his words had no affect on the younger male. "You should browse the bikes on sale first, Baekhyun. That was the whole reason we drove all the way here in this freezing weather."

Baekhyun shook his head with a wide grin, gently the bike handles, "Nope. I made up my mind. I want this one."

"I dragged myself out of bed to go bike shopping because you said they were on sale."

Glowering, Baekhyu made the effort to go around the store browsing the bikes that were on sale. None of them called out to him and in the end, he returned to the gray bike and a purchase was made.

The bike was gently placed in the trunk of Joonmyun's truck. As the two entered the vehicle, Joonmyun eyed his friend, "Was that the money you earned from the Well?"

"Every cent that I earned since middle school. It pays to help people," Baekhyun smiled, reaching for his wallet. "Which reminds me, here's your payment for helping me out. Don't drink and drive."

He overpaid and he knows it.

"You know what, you're not even legally allowed to drink yet. Go buy some milk or juice... or coffee. Now hurry up, my baby's freezing in the back."

Joonmyun scoffed before starting the engine and turning up the heater. He didn't even remember how the two became friends. Ah, that's right -- mutual relations.

Stopped at an intersection, Joonmyun sighed as he fidgeted with his hands to keep them from cramping. "Did you talk to her?"

"Yeah, that's why I need you for just a little bit longer," Baekhyun blinked innocently at his friend. "We'll drop off my bike first."

I knew he wanted something else.

"You know, I won't always be around to drive you around like this."

Baekhyun didn't want to think about it, but Joonmyun's words rang true. In a couple of months, Joonmyun would be moving closer to the college he planned to attend. "It's an excuse to spend time with you, shut up."Joonmyun laughed, genuinely fond of Baekhyun's way of expressing his emotions.

---

Yoonmi went to the set location early to reserve a table. She dreaded the moment Jongdae walked through the door, yet she also knew she would regret it if he never showed. As she waited, two familiar people walked in and took their seats across the room. Her heart picked up speed and she felt nauseated. Her waitress set a warm cup of coffee down before her, the steam rising and the scent of the hazelnut filling Yoonmi's nostrils. The aroma of the cafe slightly soothed her mind and kept her distracted. Until he entered. Then their eyes met.

She waved him over with a smile, as if what she was about to tell him wasn't going to shatter either of their hearts. When Jongdae took his seat the waitress returned and took his order. Yoonmi sat in silence until a minute after the waitress left. Yoonmi traced the outer rim of her cup, eyes focused on the rich chocolate brown liquid. Moistening her lips, she began, "I know who it was... the one who sent the text message about you."

Jongdae felt time slow, his hands clammy and breath quickening. Yoonmi knew who it was? Why did she keep quiet all this time?

Neither spoke until Jongdae's americano was placed on the table before him. The young woman took a quick sip of her coffee before clearing , "It was me."

Jongdae froze, his cup in mid-air. Instantly, his eyes shot to Yoonmi's for a sign she was lying. Yoonmi wouldn't do something like that to him, would she? "You told everyone? Why?"

"I... I was upset. I'm so sorry, Jongdae."

The brunet slammed his cup down, his drink splashing over the table as well as his hand. But he was too stunned to feel the burn. He never would have second-guessed Yoonmi. "You were upset!. That's your reason? You're the one who broke up with me."

"I'm not stupid," Yoonmi stated, a hint of irritation rising in her voice. "I knew you weren't interested in me. Why waste my time? And then I found out -- you had a thing for Baekhyun."

"Why are you telling me now?"

Yoonmi turned her head away, resisting the urge to break into tears. She glanced up to the opposite side of the cafe, her eyes meeting the raven-haired male's. With a gulp, Yoonmi fixed her attention on her cup. "I'm apologizing."

"I can't believe you."

"I'm sorry," Yoonmi whispered and she meant it. She had no right to invade a person's private life. She had no real intention of hurting Jongdae, but the opportunity was thrown in front of her. She couldn't let it go to waste. At the time, it seemed like gold. Everyone would laugh at Jongdae for being queer, being different from the rest of the crowd. Those who knew she and Jongdae had dated would show some sympathy toward her, the reason why their relationship didn't last long. It wasn't because Yoonmi was undesirable but because Jongdae swung the other way.

"Did Baekhyun send you to apologize?" Jongdae questioned. At the way Yoonmi froze, Jongdae scoffed, "He's bribing you?"

"N-No! Not at all," Yoonmi hastily shook her head. She chewed her lower lip. Baekhyun's instructions were clear to leave him out, but technically...

"I don't believe you."

Again, Yoonmi stole a glance past Jongdae's shoulder at the raven-haired boy. She reached out for Jongdae's hands and held onto them firmly, "Please Jongdae. I am sorry. Do you want me to get on my knees in front of everyone and beg for your forgiveness?"

In remorse, Jongdae liberated his hands from Yoonmi's. Jongdae was tempted to put Yoonmi to the test but it felt morally wrong. Instead he decided to get things over with. "I get it, you're sorry. If you're done I'll be going. I have things to do." He took out some money and tossed it carelessly on the table. "And while you're at it you should apologize to Baekhyun too. I'm the only one you hurt."

Left alone, Yoonmi shot Baekhyun a tearful gaze before following Jongdae's exit.

Baekhyun's shoulders sagged and he slid his plate to Joonmyun, "Here."

"For me?" Joonmyun gasped dramatically, a hand on his chest. "But Baekhyun--"

"Shut up," Baekhyun rolled his eyes. "I'm not that stingy. We can go after you finish, I'll handle the fees."

"In that case do you mind me ordering something to-go?"

Baekhyun waved Joonmyun's words to the side, "Go ahead but don't take advantage of me."

"Sure," Joonmyun mentally rolled his eyes. Who was taking advantage of who?

---

Kim Jongdae wasn't in the mood for babysitting. He dialed for Kyungsoo's number, praying that his friend would answer the phone.

"What do you want?"

"Hey Kyungsoo," Jongdae said as sweetly as he could. "Do you remember your promise to Sooyeon?"

"No."

Jongdae grinned, "According to your quick response, you do."

"I already--"

"Kyungsoo, please," Jongdae's masquerade dissipated. "I feel like someone just stabbed me in the leg and I'm not feeling too great."

"What happened?"

"I just need you to help out with Sooyeon please? I'm sure she'd be more than happy to see you."

"Okay, but you have to tell me sooner or later all right buddy? Don't bottle--"

"Yeah yeah, thanks so much Kyungsoo. I'll call Sooyeon's parents and let them know."

After making the call, Jongdae stripped down to his bare skin and crawled into bed. Yoonmi messed everything up for him. Why couldn't Baekhyun have picked a different girl?

It wasn't Baekhyun.

Jongdae's chest fluttered. He was pleased to hear it wasn't Baekhyun but he was also upset that it wasn't. All the feelings of hate he summoned against Baekhyun was wrong. The time spent in isolation and away from his friends... all in vain.

~

Rather relieved that Jongdae knew the truth, Baekhyun agreed to dinner with Chanyeol and Kyungsoo. Baekhyun was in the midst of gorging down his meatballs when something caught his attention.

"Loser. It to be you."

Baekhyun immediately froze after stabbing a meatball with his fork. Unaware, Chanyeol kept going on about how hard the test was. It was Kyungsoo who noticed the alarm in Baekhyun's eyes. The red-haired boy reached out, gently touching Baekhyun's shoulder, "What's wrong?"

With a wild expression, Baekhyun leaned forward and whispered urgently, "Take a look at the guys behind me. Hurry." At that moment Chanyeol ceased talking to himself, raising a brow at the pale-faced Baekhyun. Chanyeol was ordered to do the same.

Keeping his voice low, Baekhyun asked, "Notice anything unsual or unique?"

Kyungsoo gasped, nearly knocking over his glass of water. He recognized one of them, one of Seungsoo's close friends. Or used to be at least. As for the other three he didn't recognize them.

Chanyeol, eyes attentive, took note that one had at least four piercings on his left ear. The guy sitting across had soft brown curls. The third had black hair and thick-rimmed glasses and the fourth had light brown that nearly covered his eyes. He didn't know them, they most likely weren't regulars.

"I know one of them," Kyungsoo said. "Why?"

"I recognized one of their voices," Baekhyun responded. The guys behind him seemed to have no idea they were being observed. It wasn't until one made eye contact with Kyungsoo.

To save face, Kyungsoo feigned surprise and waved. The other did the same but then he saw the figure whose back was facing him and his friends.

Baekhyun.

Baekhyun's table remained quiet until the other table left. "What's his name?" Baekhyun asked.

"Kwon Jiyong, but everyone calls him Dragon. He can be a real ."

He was at the party.

The look Baekhyun was giving Kyungsoo made the latter uncomfortable. Even without speaking, Kyungsoo knew what Baekhyun wanted.

Please.

Kyungsoo subtly shook his head.

Please.

Do Kyungsoo bit the insides of his cheeks. The look in Baekhyun's eyes held Kyungsoo down. Kyungsoo had never seen Baekhyun so desperate for help, but what Baekhyun was asking of him... Kyungsoo didn't know what to do.

Shaking his head, Kyungsoo rose from his seat. Baekhyun shouted in alarm, snatching Kyungsoo's arm before Kyungsoo could take off. "Kyungsoo, please!"

"I could get on their blacklist," Kyungsoo said. "I'm not trying to die here."

"I almost ing died that night!" Baekhyun shouted in disbelief, capturing the attention of those nearby.

"Sorry," Chanyeol apologized before prying Baekhyun away from Kyungsoo. He hissed in a warning, "Guys, we're in public."

"I just want to know the name of the person who ordered them to hurt me," Baekhyun insisted, pushing Chanyeol away from him to get closer to Kyungsoo. "Just a name. It might not even be him."

Eventually the red-haired boy nodded, "I'll see what I can do. I can't promise you anything."

"Thank y--" Baekhyun said as Kyungsoo grabbed his coat and hurriedly left the restaurant.

And since then Baekhyun waited and waited. Baekhyun didn't dare to pester Kyungsoo only to have Kyungsoo change his mind. But Baekhyun needed Kyungsoo to do it soon before doubt began implanting its seed into Kyungsoo's brain.

He received no word from Kyungsoo that day nor the next. He hoped for something on Monday.

---

Come Monday morning, Jongdae entered the classroom without Kyungsoo.

When lunch rolled around and the students rose to fill their bellies, Baekhyun was one of the first people out the door. Baekhyun was in the midst of briskly heading to the lunch table when he felt a tap on his shoulder.

Yoonmi was frowning at him, "I need to talk to you to clear my conscience." Cursing to himself, Baekhyun moved to the side to prevent a traffic jam. Yoonmi stuck her hands in her pockets, "Jongdae... he wanted me to apologize to you and after thinking about it, I guess I owe you one too. I'm sorry."

"He told you to? On his behalf?"

"No!" Yoonmi shouted at the top of her lungs. She repeated herself more quietly, "No. He wanted me to apologize for using you. I never really thought about what would happen to you if I exposed Jongdae."

"How about tearing a friendship apart?" Baekhyun snapped, arms folded across his chest. "You're telling me he still cares?"

Yoonmi quickly nodded, "And I would love it very much if you two got back together."

Baekhyun pursed his lips, "I sure wouldn't want to be held accountable for ruining someone's friendship. Let's just part our ways and hope we never have to speak to each other again." With that, Baekhyun excused himself to lunch.

He skidded to a stop when he happened to see a familiar brunet sitting next to his seat. Gulping, he slowly made his way to the table and sat down as if nothing was out of the ordinary. It shouldn't have been unusual -- Jongdae was Baekhyun's friend and a part of the group. Not to mention that seat was reserved for Jongdae. Even after Jongdae left them the seat was waiting.

Baekhyun immediately turned to Kyungsoo awaiting an answer. Kyungsoo shook his head. Baekhyun hadn't spoken to Jongdae in weeks and it felt extremely awkward. Baekhyun absolutely hated the feeling inside the pit of his stomach -- relief with a mixture of dread. Neither of the two said anything throughout lunch. Thanks to Joonmyun, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo, neither Baekhyun nor Jongdae needed to. Joonmyun stressed his concerns on his performance on the CSATs, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo went over their act for the talent show later in the school year.

Every once in awhile Baekhyun and Jongdae spaced out, only to find themselves staring at each other. Jongdae offered a smile and it was all Baekhyun needed to ease some of the tension off his shoulders. Baekhyun smiled back, followed by a light jab to Jongdae's rib. "How are you?" Baekhyun asked.

"Tired."

Baekhyun's smile faded and he said in the most soft voice he could muster, "I'm sorry."

"You didn't do anything."

'That's the reason I'm apologizing. I didn't do anything. If it makes you feel any better I got teased too."

"Yeah Baek, that makes me feel so much better. Thanks," Jongdae replied.

Without meaning to, the other three had ceased their conversation since the moment they noticed Baekhyun's elbow jab. The three silently cheered as they witnessed the small interaction, the beginning of a repairing friendship.

Then Jongdae said, "I still hate you."

"I'm cool with that," Baekhyun said.

What?

Jongdae turned back to look at the other three whose face expressions seemed alike -- slacked jaws and wide eyes, the look of confusion evident. Folding his arms together on top of the table, Jongdae leaned in, "Should I join the talent show too?"

"No," Kyungsoo immediately said before he could stop himself. He bit the inside of his cheeks as everyone turned to him. He cleared his throat, "You'll be standing in the center of the stage and people might... you know... throw stuff at you."

"Y-Yeah, I agree with Kyungsoo here," Chanyeol piped in. "It's not because we think you're a threat or anything but we're more concerned with your safety."

Jongdae wasn't planning to join at all, he just needed something to say. He couldn't imagine standing in the center with hundreds of faces staring up at him, especially not with everything that had happened. "I'm perfectly fine being part of the audience. I'm sure you two will be enough to entertain all of us."

~

By luck or fate Kyungsoo found Jiyong and his friends inside a bakery while on his way to school. It was now or never. "Jongdae wait," Kyungsoo quickly backpedaled.

"What's up?"

Kyungsoo hopped off his bike and set it against the brick wall of the bakery, "I'm going to get something to eat, you mind watching my bike? Anything you want?"

"Nah I'm good," Jongdae grinned.

When Kyungsoo stepped into the bakery,  his heart rate instantly increased and his palms began to sweat. Kyungsoo stood in line as he decided how he would approach Jiyong, all the while nervously stealing glances at them. Before he knew it, it was his turn and he ordered two chocolate croissants, a blueberry muffin and three snickerdoodle cookies. After receiving his order, Kyungsoo stuffed the paper bag into his backpack.

Summoning all the courage he had, Kyungsoo marched across the room to the table occupied by the three intimidating young men. The first to see Kyungsoo raised his brows, nudging with his chin toward the red-haired high schooler making his way over. Jiyong immediately recognized the boy and greeted him with a smirk, "What's up, kid?"

"Can we speak alone?"

"Why? I have nothing to say to you," Jiyong replied before resuming his breakfast sandwich. The other two glanced at Kyungsoo, one even shooing him away.

"Please?"

"You're ruining my morning, kid," Jiyong replied without sparing Kyungsoo a glance.

Panic seeped into Kyungsoo's skin and he quickly scurried to the men's restroom. The young man silently berated himself for being so cowardly. He had to get back out there for Baekhyun yet he didn't want to die or end up like Baekhyun. Kyungsoo scooted to the side as an elderly man emerged from the stalls and headed to the sink. While the man was washing his hands he gazed through the mirror at Kyungsoo, shaking his head and tsking all the while.

"Is... something wrong, sir?" Kyungsoo asked awkwardly.

"It's like your head is on fire," the elderly man replied before exiting the restroom, leaving Kyungsoo alone to ponder about his life decisions.

Kyungsoo didn't even realize when someone entered until the person splashed droplets of water into his face. Startled, Kyungsoo lifted his head up and stared back into the eyes of a man with soft brown curls.

"What did you want?" he asked Kyungsoo.

It took a couple seconds for Kyungsoo to realize the brunet was one of Jiyong's friends.

"Baekhyun."

The man paused, eyes instinctively flitting to Kyungsoo's arm. That was all Kyungsoo needed to confirm his suspicions.

"Not me. Seeing as you don't even know Baekhyun, someone must have sent you. I need a name."

Soft Curls lightly scoffed as he took a step back.

This kid... no wonder Jiyong doesn't want to deal with him.

"I just need the name. I will leave you and the other two out of it. It's not like I know your name anyway."

Soft Curls eyed the younger boy. There was no denying the incident with Baekbeom's kid brother. The red-haired kid was set on believing it was him and the other two. "Do you have a pen?"

Kyungsoo quickly dug through his bag for one, handing it to Soft Curls. "Why can't you just tell me?"

"Shh," Soft Curls held out his other hand, waiting expectantly. Kyungsoo blinked in confusion before he finally realized what Soft Curls wanted. Reluctantly withdrawing his wallet, Kyungsoo handed the man 10,000 won. But Soft Curls wasn't satisfied. Kyungsoo withdrew more and more money from his wallet until it was empty -- a total of 87,000 won.

This better be ing worth it.

Pulling a napkin out, Soft Curls withdrew a pen and scribbled down the name. Kyungsoo his lips in anticipation, half-hoping it wasn't someone he knew. Handing the pen back and dangling the napkin in front of Kyungsoo's face, Soft Curls said, "Flush it after you read it." Nervously -- yet jumping and flipping and rolling in excitement -- Kyungsoo took the napkin and took a good look at the name, only to have his heart drop.

He has to be lying.

Seeing Kyungsoo's reaction, Soft Curls pointed to the toilet, "I assume you know him? Good. Now flush it down. You didn't hear it from us." Kyungsoo did as instructed, watching as the napkin swirled in the toilet bowl and disappeared from sight.

Kyungsoo wasn't so sure he wanted to tell Baekhyun anymore.

Oh lord help me.

Kyungsoo counted to fifteen before exiting the bathroom. On his way to the front doors he made sure to keep his head high and avoid breaking gaze from his destination. Kyungsoo finally managed to breathe once he stepped into the morning air and felt the familiarity of his bike handle.

"Stomache ache?" Jongdae retracted the kickstand on his bike. Kyungsoo shook his head and the two continued on.

How was Kyungsoo going to tell Baekhyun? He couldn't just drop the bomb on the poor guy.

Before parting ways, Kyungsoo took out the bag of goods and ed it to Jongdae, "This is for you three. They'll know what's theirs; the muffin is yours." He scurried into his classroom before Jongdae could question him.

Jongdae couldn't help but notice Baekhyun's eyes locking onto the paper bag the moment he entered the classroom. Baekhyun broke into a grin as Jongdae sat down, "What's in there?" Baekhyun batted his eyeslashes and leaned forward to get a whiff of the food, "Is there enough for me?"

"Hungry much?"

"I'm always hungry for baked goods."

Jongdae took out the muffin before giving the bag to Baekhyun, "Kyungsoo got these for you and Chanyeol." Baekhyun happily dug into the bag and pulled out a chocolate croissant. As Baekhyun began eating, Jongdae propped his elbows on his desk, fingers laced together under his chin, "Where's Chanyeol?"

Baekhyun made a face before replying with a mouthful of food, "Jaehwa."

"I see. You know, Kyungsoo was acting all weird this morning," Jongdae slowly began snacking on his own breakfast. "I wonder if he's okay."

"What happened?"

"We stopped at a bakery to get these things but he took his sweet time. Then after coming out he looked so pale and scared."

"Did he talk to anyone?" Baekhyun shoved the remaining bit of the croissant into his mouth.

Jongdae fought back a smile at his friend's cute fat cheeks, "Yeah now that I think about it. After getting the food he went to a table before going to the restroom for about five minutes."

He met that guy.

Baekhyun quickly rose from his seat and meant to find Kyungsoo but instead he tripped over the desk leg and his knees and hands hit the floor, "!" Baekhyun pushed himself up and almost made it to the door when his teacher appeared in the doorway with a raised brow.

"Where are you going, Baekhyun?"

you.

Baekhyun nervously laughed and stepped back, "I was going to greet you." He swiftly bowed and rushed back to his desk.

---

It wasn't until after school that Baekhyun found the red-haired boy at the bike racks. Baekhyun had ran as fast as he could before Kyungsoo could take off early. Baekhyun snagged Kyungsoo's arm, eyes pleading. Shoulders sagged, Kyungsoo lowered his head and sighed, "I found out who it was."

"And?"

Kyungsoo's eyes flitted to Baekhyun's, "Promise you won't be angry with me. I'm only the messenger." Baekhyun nodded eagerly. "It was Yonghwa."

Baekhyun thought he misheard Kyungsoo. He scoffed, "Say that again?"

"It was Yonghwa. Cho Yonghwa."

Baekhyun bit the insides of his cheeks as the name sunk in. Yonghwa? "A-Are you sure? Is that what he said? He's probably--"

"No Baek," Kyungsoo interrupted before Baekhyun could blabber on. "One of his friends told me. I can't be too sure if he was telling the truth or not."

Baekhyun closed his eyes and gently massaged his temples as he tried absorbing the information. He felt betrayed. Hell, if he felt that way how would Baekbeom feel? Baekbeom and Yonghwa were best friends since they were infants. How was Baekhyun going to reveal to his brother that Yonghwa -- Baekbeom's best friend -- was the one who sent the order to hurt him?

"Hey guys... is something wrong?" Chanyeol and Jongdae noticed the odd look in Baekhyun's eyes.

All Baekhyun could think of at that moment was every interaction between him and Yonghwa. Yonghwa had been like another brother to him, though not as dear as Baekbeom. Baekhyun became Sooha's Well because of Yonghwa. Yonghwa laid out every detail of the business, infoming that as the Well, Baekhyun could establish any kind of rule he wished. Though Baekhyun's first Well experience turned out extremely horrific and traumatic, he took Yonghwa's advice that every favor would turn out differently and continued on when he entered high school.

Kyungsoo sighed softly, "I'm sorry Baekhyun, I know what Yonghwa meant to you."

"No. Don't say anything," Baekhyun opened his eyes, staring back at Kyungsoo. A soft shake of his head and Baekhyun unlocked his bike and rode away. Baekhyun had to find Yonghwa. He wanted to hear it from the man himself.