Tension

Free of Charge

Chapter Ten: Tension

tension: mental or emotional strain; situation of hostility or uneasiness

~*~

As usual, Joonmyun waited for Baekhyun at the front gate, but today Baekhyun insisted on walking home with Chanyeol. After Chanyeol assured Joonmyun he would protect the raven-haired male with his life, Joonmyun drove off.

The tall brunet glanced down at his best friend, "So, why did you decide to walk today?"

Baekhyun shrugged indifferently, "I need some time to think." He checked his watch to estimate the time it would take to get to his house, "Lately, I've been getting home too early, finishing my work too early, leaving me with too many thoughts."

A frown formed on Chanyeol's lips. At times Chanyeol would need a few moments to process what Baekhyun says. Most of the time, Chanyeol understood gist of whatever his friend was trying to say, but there were times Chanyeol had no clue. "You have too many thoughts, but need time to think. I guess that makes sense."

"Shut up, Chanyeol."

I'm surprised he's not with his girlfriend.

Baekhyun hadn't been spending a lot of time with Chanyeol lately, with the tall brunet always with his girlfriend for whatever reason. Baekhyun had actually begun to feel lonely -- Chanyeol had Jaehwa, Jongdae had Yoonmi, Kyungsoo was just being his usual weird self, and Joonmyun was always busy with studies, whether his own or others'.

Baekhyun slowly inched closer to his best friend as they walked down the busy streets. In all the years the two had been friends, they were never really close, proximity wise. Not like how he was with Baekbeom or Jongdae. Or even Kyungsoo. Chanyeol became aware of the space closing in between him and Baekhyun. As casually as he could, he stepped off to the side further away from Baekhyun. The raven-haired male frowned and stopped his advancements. Obviously, Chanyeol didn't want him to come too close. "What happened to Jaehwa?"

"She went home with her sister. All the college students are visiting home for the Chuseok holidays, Yura included."

Baekhyun nodded, "If Baekbeom wasn't in prison he would be visiting us too."

Chanyeol cringed at the nonchalant way Baekhyun spoke about his own brother, someone that Baekhyun loved most dearly. Not sure how to respond, Chanyeol nodded wordlessly.

"What's wrong, Yeollie?"

"N-Nothing. Why?"

Puffing his cheeks, Baekhyun turned his attention away from Chanyeol. Instead, he focused on each step he was taking, making sure he wasn't going to step over bugs or poop or trip over a crack--

As soon as that last thought left his thought, Baekhyun tripped and stumbled forward.

Damn it.

A smirk appeared on Chanyeol's face as he raised a brow. "What's wrong, Baek?" he asked teasingly, chuckling at his friend's clumsiness. Noticing the tinge of pink on Baekhyun's face, Chanyeol broke into a grin, "Don't be embarrassed, dude. I've witnessed your idiodicy on many occasions ever since we became friends."

"Shut up," Baekhyun snapped, slamming his cast against Chanyeol's arm.

"You get so -hurt over the smallest things," Chanyeol tsked, gently rubbing the area that had been attacked so ruthlessly. "It's just me; you don't need to impress me. Not like you can anyway."

I don't try to impress anyone. I don't have time for that .

Baekhyun failed to suppress a yawn. Tears blurred his vision once he opened his eyes. He reached up to wipe the tears away with a sniffle. Misunderstanding the situation, Chanyeol reached for Baekhyun, "Are you crying? I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings."

Baekhyun shoved Chanyeol to the side, "I'm not crying, you . I'm tired so I yawned. When I yawned, water came out. I couldn't see, so I wiped them away. I sniffed because I think I'm catching the damn flu."

Chanyeol eased himself, keeping the safe distance between them. He could not afford to catch a cold. Baekhyun mentally rolled his eyes but remained quiet. "How are you Baekhyun?" Chanyeol randomly asked, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "And don't lie. Give me an honest answer."

"How am I supposed to be? My brother is in prison, my bike was stolen, my arm is broken, my spirit is dying... not that I had much to begin with." Baekhyun sighed, glancing up at the clouds. He wonderered how it would be to just float away into the distance all the while dissolving into itty-bitty particles until there was nothing left of him. Would he feel the whole process of breaking apart or would it happen so gradually he wouldn't even feel a thing until it was too late?

"Can I ask you something?" Chanyeol said after awhile. When Baekhyun kept silent, Chanyeol took that as a sign to continue on. "Can you tell me about you and Jaehwa?"

Of course Baekhyun didn't. The raven-haired boy didn't want his best friend knowing what happened between him and his childhood friend. "Why don't you ask her yourself?"

Chanyeol frowned, knowing he would get nowhere with Baekhyun. When Baekhyun didn't want to talk about something he was impossible to move. "I'm sorry about--"

"About what, Chanyeol?" Baekhyun snapped, turning on his heels and glaring up at the tall brunet. "Stop giving me your pity. Stop prying into my life. There are things that are personal to me that I don't even want you to know about. And the more you keep pestering me, the more I hate everything. So stop it." Baekhyun didn't even wait before resuming down the path, wishing he had just gone home with Joonmyun. Byun Baekhyun just wanted to be alone. He loved his friends, truly, but their attempts to be with him were draining him of his energy. He wanted them to treat him like they did before. As he felt Chanyeol's presence by his side, Baekhyun said, "I'm staying in tonight. You guys go have fun. I won't miss you if you die."

Chanyeol pursed his lips. He had somehow antagonized his best friend and there was no taking it back. Chanyeol couldn't think of a guy more sensitive and dramatic as Baekhyun.

I'm so sorry.

~

The next morning, Baekhyun stirred at the soft knocks on his bedroom door. The young man buried his head beneath the covers, hoping whoever it was would just shut up and go away. The knocking persisted, each sound drilling a hole into Baekhyun's chest. Was it that hard to understand he didn't want to be disturbed? The usual rule was that if Baekhyun's door was locked, no one was going through the door from either side.

"Baekhyun, honey? Are you awake yet? Give me a response."

Stealing a glimpse at the clock, Baekhyun groaned. Baekhyun grumbled incoherently, but his mother only needed a sign. What she said next had him awake and alert.

"Get up. We're visiting your brother today. He's finally allowing visitors."

Baekhyun instantly threw the covers off and sat upright, his mind boggled and slightly disoriented. Baekbeom, he was going to see Baekbeom after...

A month was it? Since we sat in the backseat of Detective Cho's car?

Baekhyun eagerly got ready, even smiling to himself in the mirror. A smile that was unable to mask his conflicted pain. Did he even want to see Baekbeom? Could he face his brother? It was him after all, the reason why Baekbeom pleaded guilty. Because Byun Baekhyun was a piece of and couldn't defend himself. Baekhyun's left hand automatically caressed the bulky cast around his right arm.

---

The car ride to the prison would have been silent if it weren't for Mr. Byun tuning into the radio. While the music played in the background, Baekhyun slouched in his seat, his eyes fixed on a crack in the window. He traced a finger over it, the cold from the glass blooming in his fingertip and traveling throughout his hand. Quickly, he lowered his arm and stuck his hand into his pocket.

I thought it was still autumn. Why is it so cold?

Plugging in his ear phones, Baekhyun closed his eyes and turned up the volume to override the audio of the annoying radio his parents were listening to. God, he hated being in the car with his parents. With one or the other, he was fine. But when he was stuck in the back seat while his parents sat in the front, he had no say in what to listen to. Politics and current events were what his parents were into. At one point in his life Baekhyun had cared, but that was a lifetime ago. All he needed to hear about came from his parents or his friends. Kyungsoo was a huge current events junkie and Baekhyun would try his best not to tune out his friend, but sometimes it was so boring.

On the subject of his friends, Baekhyun realized his friends were social, much more than him. Joonmyun would strike a conversation with a stranger and be cool about it. The same with Chanyeol. Kyungsoo... well that kid only spoke when he felt like it, which seemed to be most of the time. Except when he got angry. Jongdae would be the most quiet out of the four. Baekhyun rolled his eyes. Yeah, Jongdae was an oddball. The guy would be as silent as a graveyard one moment, then he would annoy the hell out of Baekhyun. But what annoyed Baekhyun was what Jongdae did, not what he said. Actions speak louder than words, they said. Apparently in Jongdae's case, it was a hundred percent true.

Freaking Kim Jongdae and his weird- request. Why did I say I would do it? He just had to look so damn sad and dejected...

Baekhyun groaned, pulling the hood of his jacket lower over his face.

"What is it?" his father asked, detecting the level of groan emitted from his son. Being the father of Baekhyun for nearly seventeen years, he had come to find that Baekhyun had three different levels of groans. Level one -- Baekhyun was frustrated or annoyed. Level two -- Baekhyun was ready to kill someone. Level three -- Baekhyun wanted to jump off a cliff. And Mr. Byun was pretty sure he heard groan level three.

"I'm just thinking out loud. Sorry."

"How are things between you and Jongdae?" his mother asked. She admired the boy. In fact, she instantly knew she was going to like him the moment they first met. Jongdae was a caring and gentle person and quite honestly, her son needed someone like that. Chanyeol was good too, but the two had been together for so long and it seemed Chanyeol gave in to Baekhyun's demands most of the time. Baekhyuned needed someone new so when Baekhyun announced about sleeping over at a new friend's house, Mrs. Byun was more than ecstatic. In a way, Jongdae sort of reminded her of her sons combined in one. She missed seeing Jongdae around.

"Good, why?" Baekhyun lowered the volume on his MP3 player. Why did she suddenly bring him up?

"It's just I haven't seen him around, that's all. He didn't even stay that one afternoon when Bohye came."

Baekhyun snorted without meaning to. His mother was ridiculous. It was as if she preferred Jongdae over Baekhyun, her own son.

"Hey, watch it," Mrs. Byun retorted. She wouldn't say she preferred Jongdae over Baekhyun, but it was cutting it close. After the dinner with the Kims, Mrs. Kim had revealed it was all Jongdae's idea for a dinner. Hearing that made Mrs. Byun's heart flutter.

Mr. Byun chuckled, stealing a quick glance at Baekhyun through the rearview mirror. "It seems you have a problem with Jongdae? That was why you groaned earlier, was it not?"

"I have no comment."

Once Mr. Byun finally parked the car and the three stepped out and stretched, Baekhyun began to get anxiety. He really was going to see Baekbeom. Because of his nerves, Baekhyun allowed his parents to pay their visits before he did. When it was finally his turn, Baekhyun scurried to the table where his brother sat.

"Little poop," Baekbeom said, eyeing his brother's cast. Baekhyun shifted uncomfortably in his chair.

"Baekbeom, why did you do it?"

"Do what?"

"We all know you're innocent."

"The evidence is there, Baekhyun. My watch, my jacket-"

"Why? You didn't even do it!" Baekhyun nearly burst into tears. "Please, Baekbeom... if someone's forcing you to take the blame, don't."

Baekbeom placed his hand firmly on the surface of the wooden table, "No one's forcing me. Calm down."

Baekhyun wiped his face, deeply inhaling and exhaling. He had to get it together. "Bohye visited us the other day."

Baekbeom slowly withdrew his hand and sat back in his chair. "I heard."

"Jongdeok decided to visit his family."

The news of Jongdeok seemed to hit Baekbeom harder than the news of Bohye. Baekbeom chewed his lower lip, fingers repitiously tapping his thigh.

Jongdeok said he doesn't know anything. Why did he come back at such a bad time?

Baekhyun intently stared at his brother, attempting to read his brother's body language. The raven-haired boy quietly added, "He wanted to defend you. He seemed like he really liked you."

"You met him?"

"We talked a little when our families were having a dinner together."

Baekbeom shifted uncomfortable in his seat. Why were they having a dinner together all of a sudden? What could Jongdeok do to defend him? "Did he say anything in regards to me or the Fire?"

Baekhyun shook his head, "Not a word."

---

"I'm curious. How did you and Baekbeom meet?" Jongdae questioned.

The elder Kim brother sighed, sinking into the couch cushions. "So you finally ask."

Jongdae rolled his eyes, hugging the pillow against his chest, awaiting to hear his brother's response. After a moment of empty silence Jongdae glanced at his brother, "Are you going to tell me or not? If not I'm leaving."

"It was fate. I never would have met him if he hadn't failed a grade and requested to transfer to Yoonkyu."

~Five Years Ago~

Jongdeok tightened the hold on his camera, careful as to not drop it, and ducked behind the trees and bushes. He remained painstakingly still, in hopes he hadn't been spotted. He looked through the lens, focusing on his target when a large hand grasped his shoulder, making his heart stop and his head swirl. His breath escaped from his lungs and he went limp, his camera nearly falling out of his hands.

"Whoa! Are you okay? I didn't mean to scare you," the person said, quickly supporting the first year.

Good going, Baekbeom. You are such an idiot.

"Hey, hey, hey," Baekbeom whispered, fanning at the guy's face. "Do you need to see the nurse?" Jongdeok gave a weak nod and Baekbeom hauled him up and away. "Sorry for... uh, scaring you," Baekbeom grunted as the weight of the young man pressed against him. "I'm new to the school." Jongdeok simply nodded. Baekbeom didn't mind, but then he realized something and stopped. He didn't know where the nurse's office was. Much to his relief, a couple of students that passed by were able to direct him.

"Hey, you're Baekbeom, aren't you?" the student with the curly brown hair asked. "I think we met at one of the parties."

Jongdeok tugged on Baekbeom's shirt. With a nod, Baekbeom gestured to the second year leaning against him and hurried to the nurse's office as quickly as he could. He didn't remember the guy and honestly he didn't care. The third year set the first year on the chair inside the nurse's office. "Will you be okay by yourself? Again, I'm so sorry for scaring you. I really didn't mean it."

Jongdeok nodded, the color slowly returning to his face, "I know."

---

Later that day, Baekbeom found Jongdeok again. The younger male was washing his hands in the sink, pink liquid flowing down the drain. Alarmed, Baekbeom approached him, "Are you okay? What happened?"

"Nothing."

Liar.

"You should get that checked."

Jongdeok turned to face the third year, "Is there a reason we keep meeting? Do you want something from me?"

"We can try to be friends," Baekbeom suggested, a bit surprised at Jongdeok's outburst.

"A brand new third year like you wanting to be friends with a first year like me? Yeah right, if we do have a friendship it's only going to benefit you."

"Hey," Baekbeom snapped. "I'm really just trying to be friendly here. You probably know more than me about the school and the people in it."

"The trash?" Jongdeok asked before blowing on his cut. "Why'd you transfer?"

Baekbeom frowned as he dug into his backpack for a bandage. Without responding, he handed the bandage to the smirking first year.

"You're a repeat."

"I'm just trying to get through another school year," Baekbeom sighed, "and I don't want to do it alone."

Jongdeok wanted to laugh at the brunet standing before him. Friends? Baekbeom was two years ahead of him. Once Baekbeom was gone who would be his friend for the other two years? Despite what he thought, Jongdeok took the bandage.

"I take that as a sign," Baekbeom smirked back.

~ Present ~

"Wow," Jongdae said. He had expected something more... well either normal or extremely exciting. But it was just two lonely guys trying not to be lonely.

"How did you and Baekbeom's little brother meet?" Jongdeok turned the tables.

The younger brother laughed awkwardly, shaking his head, "I asked him for a favor."

Jongdeok scrunched his face at his brother, wondering what favor would bring two people into a friendship. Judging by the way his brother reacted, Jongdeok would rather not pry. It may do more harm than good to ask. "Weirdo."

Jongdae threw the pillow at his brother and rose from the couch, stretching and checking the time. "I have to go. Don't want to keep my date waiting."

Jongdae left his house and met up with Yoonmi at the park. The couple walked down the pathway side-by-side with no destination in mind. Jongdae noticed Yoonmi was wearing the necklace he had given to her on her birthday, a small amount of joy swelling his chest.

"I heard you went to China for awhile," Yoonmi stated, wanting more details about Jongdae's life as well as an interesting story. "How did it go?"

Jongdae adjusted the collar of his shirt with a breathy chuckle, "I struggled with the language. In the beginning I stuttered a lot and mixed up words. My host family was extremely kind and supportive, thank goodness."

Yoonmi smiled at Jongdae's curly lips, her chest swelling warmly as if a candle was lit within the darkness that resided in her empty chest. "Would you ever go back?" Jongdae nodded. Yoonmi reached for Jongdae's hand, "Did you date anyone?" That was when Jongdae's smile faded and Yoonmi could feel him tense.

Crap, bad question. What do I do, what do I do?

"No, I didn't," Jongdae replied, surprising his girlfriend.

"O-Oh... okay."

The two walked down the pathway in silence until Jongdae spotted a beverage cart up ahead. He took the opportunity to separate himself from Yoonmi to purchase two drinks. As much as he didn't want to say it, Jongdae was bored. He didn't want to be alone with Yoonmi, he would actually rather be at home spending time with his brother. Ever since Jongdeok returned, he'd been feeling like crap. Jongdae thanked the man before handing Yoonmi her drink.

The two began walking again. Once they found an empty bench, they sat down and Jongdae decided to tell Yoonmi more about his trip to China. "It was a mess. He hated my guts. He even went to the school to demand I leave his home and find another host family," Jongdae sighed with a shake of his head. He placed the straw in between his lips and in a mouthful of the sweet drink.

Jongdae's friend, Tao, had finally summoned the courage to confess his feelings to a girl, but she had rejected him. Afterwards, Tao convinced Jongdae to talk to the girl to learn the reasons why she didn't want to date him. Reluctantly two days later, Jongdae finally submitted to Tao's request. Of course, Tao was hiding behind the building where Jongdae and the girl were at where he could hear every word. However, Jongdae didn't know and the girl had admitted she rejected Tao because she liked Jongdae instead. To make matters worse, she had kissed Jongdae's cheek, which Tao had witnessed. And from the angle Tao was watching from, it looked worse than it had actually happened. It took a week to fix the misunderstanding and Tao felt so terrible, he became Jongdae's slave for a week.

"Wow," Yoonmi commented. "You guys are okay now, right?" Jongdae laughed and nodded.

"I couldn't believe he allowed a girl to get in between our friendship." As soon as those words left his mouth, he froze. Turning awkwardly to look at Yoonmi he quickly said, "Don't take that the wrong way. I meant... what I meant was-"

"I know what you mean, Jongdae," Yoonmi laughed, lightly elbowing him. Yoonmi reached out for Jongdae's hand, but at the last second he got up to toss out the half-empty plastic cup. The drink was too sweet for his liking. Returning to her side, the young man asked with a smile, "Should I walk you home now?"

Yoonmi nodded sadly. She had attempted to get closer to Jongdae on numerous occasions but he would always slip away at the last second. What was upsetting was the fact that Jongdae was most likely unaware of what he was doing. Yoonmi kept quiet but her hopes were diminishing. Jongdae's interests lied elsewhere. Where, she didn't know. Yoonmi reached for the necklace that Jongdae had gotten for her on her birthday. It was a simple bird with the words Aim High engraved on the wings. It was a cute gesture and she made the effort to wear it, despite the lack of appeal the trinket offered.

Why don't you seem to like me back?

"Hey Jongdae," Yoonmi stepped closer to her so-called boyfriend. "Have you gotten any calls from a restricted number? My friends and I have gotten them and so has some others in the school. I was just wondering if you'd gotten it too."

Jongdae was about to answer when he remembered he was at the restaurant. With a nod, he replied, "Yeah, I did, actually. Right when I picked up, the call ended."

"Me too. Weird."

When the two stopped in front of Yoonmi's house, she expected him to walk her to the door, but the two stood awkwardly on the sidewalk as Jongdae waited for her to leave.

"Good night, Yoonmi," Jongdae smiled with a wave.

Not even a hug. How disappointing.

---

The third year tilted his head to the side, dark eyes narrowed slightly at the second year who repeatedly stabbed his meat with his fork.

Why hasn't he said anything to me yet?

Joonmyun sighed and reached out to stop his friend. Baekhyun smiled apologetically, "Was I annoying you?"

"You're murderering your dinner. My mother made that for you with lots of love," Joonmyun replied, lowering his arm. He gestured to the desk, "If you're finished playing with your food, let's get back to work."

Baekhyun groaned, sitting back in his chair. He didn't want to study, nor did Joonmyun really want to be alone with Baekhyun. "You seem tense," Baekhyun said as casually as he could, making his way to the desk full of math problems he could never comprehend. "Either you've recently drank or you haven't and really want to, or there's something you're uncomfortable with."

"Like what?"

"Me," Baekhyun raised a brow, his free hand on his hip. "I'm willing to listen."

Joonmyun lightly scoffed, a hand rubbing the back of his neck, "Since when are you willing to listen to me?"

"Since our friendship might be on the line."

"Well, it's not."

"Just spit it out, damn it," Baekhyun snapped. "Is it because you don't trust me with the list of names? Or because you really do know who burned Yoonkyu?"

Joonmyun hastily shook his head, "No Baekhyun, that's not it." With a heavy sigh, he took a seat on his rolling chair. "Do you remember the time I called you and asked for a favor?"

"You didn't call, you--"

"No. Forget the party. I'm talking about a few weeks ago. My parents had invited some girl over."

Baekhyun frowned, failing to recall even the day before. At his friend's blank expression, Joonmyun groaned.

He doesn't even remember, that's why.

"Was it a drunk call?" Baekhyun asked. "I never remember those, sorry."

"Okay, forget it then."

The two resumed their private tutoring session, Baekhyun crying the majority of the time. Literally the tears came, but Joonmyun understood Baekhyun's frustrations. He had gone through them himself awhile back. With encouraging pats on the back, Joonmyun slowly explained to Baekhyun about the trigonometric identities. By the time an hour passed, Baekhyun was mentally exhausted. Wiping his puffy eyes, Baekhyun thanked his tutor and was driven home.

Oh Joonmyun, I do remember. But for you, I will pretend like I don't. It saves me the explanation and drama anyways.

---

Kim Jongdae felt like an , but that's because he was. Poor Kwon Yoonmi, being a victim of his cruel experiment. She didn't even know he was using her. To think she actually liked him. He had to break them up, but he didn't know how. Kim Jongdae made people smile and laugh, not disappointed and heart-broken. How could he possibly break up with the kind and cute introvert Kwon Yoonmi? She was a nice girl, very sweet and pretty, but... just not his type.

He had his eyes set on someone else. The person who complained when he sat on his bed, made ramen at his request and even shared it, helped him with his request without disgust. That person was always helping others, constantly pleasing others even if he didn't want to admit it. But now that person needed help, only, he didn't know how to accept it. Jongdae wanted to help the poor soul. He needed to return to Baekhyun's side. Jongdae stared up into the darkness, trying to make out the outline of his ceiling fan to no avail.

The next time Jongdae met Yoonmi, he would have to do it. No point in a one-sided relationship, if Jongdae could even consider what they have a relationship -- dates here and there, occasional hand-holding, brief conversations. Jongdae would say he had more of a 'relationship' with Kyungsoo or Baekhyun. At first it was nerve-wracking and exciting, but now it was just... Jongdae didn't know how to put into words. There was no magnetic pull or natural attraction. Kyungoo had yet to convince him that what he was searching for was impossible. Especially not now because Jongdae swore he was feeling it, just not with Kwon Yoonmi.

~

Gu Minkyu sat in the uncomfortable chair across from the man who claimed to have caused the Yoonkyu Fire. With a grim smile, he leaned closer to the bulletproof window, "It seems karma got around to you." Unamused, Baekbeom sat back in his own chair, as far back as he could be from Minkyu. Baekbeom remained silent, his eyes as his weapon of choice.

Karma? I did nothing wrong to deserve this, you bastard.

The grim smile faded from Minkyu's face. "I don't know what's going on your mind, but let me tell you something," Minkyu attempted to ease the tension in the atmosphere. "I didn't hurt your brother, nor did I burn down the damn high school. I was with everyone in the room when the fire happened."

"Sure, you didn't."

"Why would I? I have no cause to harm Baekhyun."

Baekbeom slapped the counter before him, "You needed me to plead guilty for your sorry !"

"I didn't do it! I swear it on my life!"

The security guard sitting at the desk grumbled under his breath. He was already having a bad day and he did not want to deal with a stupid arsonist. He rose and pointed a finger at Baekbeom, "One more time and you're going back in the cell."

Baekbeom scoffed and crossed his arms, "Take me back, I don't want to see this bastard anymore." Minkyu frowned before standing on his feet.

Just because I hate you doesn't mean I will burn a ing high school.

Minkyu didn't know whether to help Baekbeom or just let the man rot in prison. The latter was rather tempting considering what Baekbeom has done in the past.

---

At lunch, Jongdae stared across the room at Yoonmi and her friends. He was so nervous he thought he was going to vomit. Kyungsoo pursed his lips at his friend's jittery legs. Using his own, he gently kicked Jongdae beneath the table, "Hey, what are you so anxious about?"

Jongdae's eyes darted from Yoonmi to Kyungsoo, "Why'd you kick me for? You're so abusive."

"You were annoying me with your shaking. What's up?" Kyungsoo turned around in his seat to try to guess where Jongdae was looking at. Obviously Jongdae had been looking at Yoonmi's table. Looking back at his friend, Kyungsoo raised a brow, "Did you want to talk to her?"

"Yes. No. I don't know."

Despite his answer, Jongdae got up and made his way to Yoonmi. But then Jongdae panicked and nearly turned back if it weren't for one of Yoonmi's friends who caught sight of Jongdae. The brunet gulped and approached the table. With a nervous smile, Jongdae cleared his throat, "Uhh, Yoonmi." The young woman glanced expectantly at him, awaiting for him to continue. He chewed his lower lip at a sudden loss for words.

Fortunately for Jongdae, Yoonmi excused herself and went with Jongdae to a less understood the direction of their conversation. With a small smile that never reached her eyes, she rested a hand on Jongdae's. "Jongdae, I know how sweet and caring you are, so much that you can't even summon the courage to break up with me."

The brunet blinked in surprise and puzzlement, "Wh-What are you talking about?"

With a light laugh, Yoonmi released Jongdae's hand, "I... I've noticed the way you... act around me. I have been, for awhile now. It's just... I really like you and I just hoped you really liked me back but I was just lying to myself."

You have no interest in me.

The guilt spiked in his chest but he let her continue speaking, "There's no point in being in a one-sided relationship, right? I'll be nice and end things here, is that okay?"

He could detect the hurt in her eyes and the disappointment in her voice. He parted his lips to speak, to try to console her somehow, but he knew he would only end up damaging their relationship further. In the end he gave a weak nod. It hadn't mattered that the boy of her dreams had given a non-verbal response to them breaking up. She knew Jongdae and his personality. He was probably breaking inside; the young man was too nice for his own good sometimes. It was going to hurt him in the end.

Yoonmi stood up, "Well, I'll be seeing you around." She flashed a quick smile before heading off to find her friends, leaving Jongdae alone at the lunch table.

With a heavy sigh that matched the weight of his heart, Jongdae slammed his forehead on the surface of the table. He just went through his first breakup and it was rather confusing.

I'm so sorry, Yoonmi. I like you, just not like that.

Jongdae groaned, grabbing fistfuls of his brown hair. He finally accepted-- no. The answer wasn't as simple as that. Just because he didn't like Yoonmi didn't mean he was queer by default. But still...

He had to go back to Baekhyun.

Even if it means I'll end up with a broken heart and risk losing a treasure.