Misconception

Free of Charge

Chapter Nineteen: Misconception

misconception: a misunderstanding; a false or mistaken view, opinion, or attitude

~*~

At first Chanyeol had thought he didn't get the memo seeing as his three friends wore black, white and grey shirts while he wore his brown shirt with the bottle of soy sauce on it, but at a closer glance he realized Baekhyun and Jongdae wore similar shirts whereas Kyungsoo's shirt was just similar in color, not design. Chanyeol furrowed his brows and hastily stepped out in front of Baekhyun and Jongdae, carefully eyeing the sun on Jongdae's shirt and the moon on Baekhyun's, focusing hard on the barely visible heart made by the black and white trails that connected the sun and the moon. Chanyeol pointed at them, "Are these... what I think they are?"

"Your friends Kim Jongdae and Byun Baekhyun?" Jongdae replied.

"Couple shirts."

Oh my god I was thinking the same thing.

Chanyeol stepped forward and lifted their jackets to the side to get a better look at the shirts. Chanyeol definitely wasn't seeing things; Baekhyun and Jongdae were wearing couple shirts.

What in the ?

Baekhyun nodded, "Yes Chanyeol. I'm glad you noticed."

"You're playing with me," Chanyeol said. If anyone knew how to read Baekhyun's face it would be Park Chanyeol and Park Chanyeol saw nothing that indicated Baekhyun was joking. "Are you serious?"

Baekhyun cupped Jongdae's cheeks and kissed him full on the lips without warning. Chanyeol and Kyungsoo froze, wide-eyed. Baekhyun was dead serious. Baekhyun broke away, apologizing to Jongdae before turning to face his two friends. "Yes, Jongdae and I have been dating for a couple of months now."

Jongdae's cheeks flushed red as he stepped away from Baekhyun. "You didn't have to do that. A 'yes' would have done the job."

"Ahh, don't deny you didn't like it," Baekhyun smirked, taking Jongdae's hand in his. "Besides, I needed to make my point. They weren't going to believe me."

"You're gay?" Chanyeol gawked at his best friend. "I always thought Jongdae was, but you? I mean-- I don't have a problem with you being gay but... seriously?"

"I'd like to think I'm bi," Baekhyun replied without going into further detail. He honestly didn't know where he stood because after meeting Jongdae everything messed up and left him confused. "You do know that's a thing right?"

"S-Since when?" Kyungsoo asked, receiving odd looks from the three. He hastily shook his head, "You two dating."

Jongdae found it difficult to answer the question. He just knew it was sometime during December. Baekhyun, however, responded almost immediately, "The sixth of December last year. About two months ago."

Jongdae gasped in awe, "Do you remember the date at the top of your head?"

Chanyeol's eyes glued onto the couple's hands, the close proximity they stood beside another. Standing around the same height, the two's lips were dangerously close as they spoke. Chanyeol swallowed the uncomfortable lump in his throat.

December 6th, huh? So that's why Baekhyun was late. . They were like that earlier before I butted in. ...

That's why Baekhyun was always clinging onto Jongdae. That's why Baekhyun didn't mind when Jongdae touched him, didn't pull away when Jongdae hugged him. It all made sense. Chanyeol muttered under his breath before he could stop himself. His action didn't go unnoticed by the raven-haired boy.

Baekhyun faced him, eyes wide, "What did you just say?"

"N-Nothing," Chanyeol responded. "Let's go--"

"No," Baekhyun interrupted, "say what's on your mind."

Having to improvise, Chanyeol said the first thing that came into his mind, "Don't do that in front of me."

What the Chanyeol.

Baekhyun raised his brows, hand tightening around Jongdae's, "Do what? Kiss? Does it disgust you, cause that is exactly what I feel when you and that thing make out all the time."

, I shouldn't have said that.

Jongdae and Kyungsoo locked eyes, both predicting a heavy storm about to blow. The four were simply going out shopping but somehow it had come to Baekhyun preparing to tear Chanyeol's head off.

"Answer me," Baekhyun demanded.

It's a miracle we are still friends. That must count for something, after all the years we're still together... we're still together aren't we?

"I didn't mean that," Chanyeol finally responded. "And don't call Jaehwa that."

"I respect you enough to let you date her, you'll have to do the same with me and Jongdae."

Chanyeol scoffed incredulously, "Respect? You think you're respecting me when you bad-mouth her? She's my girlfriend and you're my--" Chanyeol stopped, hands clenched into fists. Jongdae and Kyungsoo noticed but Baekhyun was too occupied staring into Chanyeol's dark eyes. The tall brunet lowered his voice, "I don't know, Baek. I can't have you and Jaehwa pulling me apart."

Why did he stop?

Kyungsoo anxiously fidgeted with his fingers as he stood off to the side and watched the scene unfold. Jongdae had joined him by then as Baekhyun had released him sometime during the argument. "Guys, please don't fight," Jongdae said but his words floated away in the other direction.

Baekhyun sighed, "I already told you I don't really care. If you want to be with her, that's fine by me."

"But not for me!" Chanyeol shouted, startling his three friends. "Byun Baekhyun, you are driving me to the edge of the cliff."

"So? I'm not the one pushing you off."

Chanyeol's chest expanded as he inhaled deeply, releasing his fingers from their tensed fists. "I won't be joining you guys today." He walked past Baekhyun and when the raven-haired boy reached out, Chanyeol slapped the hand away without sparing a glance or uttering a word.

Speechless, Baekhyun his heels his eyes boring into Chanyeol's back. The sting lingering on his hand, Baekhyun slowly faced Jongdae and Kyungsoo. "What just happened?"

Jongdae advanced to Baekhyun, gently touching the older boy's shoulder, "I think you should tell him what happened between you and Jaehwa. It's not..." Jongdae was at a loss for words.

Thankfully, Kyungsoo chimed in, "Chanyeol's your best friend and he's dating Jaehwa whom you seem to really hate. Is there a reason you won't tell anyone?" Baekhyun's eyes flitted to Jongdae's in a silent plea for help. Kyungsoo slowly understood and nodded. "You have to talk to Chanyeol later after you two have cooled down."

Baekhyun released a shuddering sigh as he s his arms around Jongdae's waist and buried his face against the brunet's neck. 

Although Chanyeol had left, the three carried out their original plan and found themselves inside the mall. Jongdae and Kyungsoo were outside the restrooms waiting for Baekhyun when Kyungsoo whispered to Jongdae, "Baekhyun's not pity-dating you is he? Or because he's bored or because you begged him? Oh god, please tell me you didn't request him to date you."

Jongdae chuckled in amusement. He sure hoped Baekhyun wasn't because that would kill him. He high doubted so, unless Baekhyun was a talented actor. "Don't you know me?"

Kyungsoo sighed, "And I know Baekhyun so you two must be the real deal. Two months? Wow."

A shy smile danced on Jongdae's lips. "Yeah."

"That explains why you're so angry all the time. Baekhyun's your soul," Kyungsoo smirked before protecting himself from a playful punch. Both knew Jongdae was quite the oppsite. It was rare to find Jongdae without a smile when Baekhyun was nearby. Kyungsoo laughed and pointed an accusing finger at his friend, "And when you bailed out on us on Christmas." Kyungsoo's eyes landed on Jongdae's shirt. He too, had his suspicions when he first saw his best friend wearing a sun and Baekhyun wearing a moon. He knew he had seen the shirts from somewhere before... Kyungsoo gasped, wide-eyed, "Oh my god, Jongdae... I gave you and Baekhyun couple shirts. I swear I was just playing around but it works."

"Yeah, we saw that at the shop where we bought these."

"You know this is going to take me some time to get used to -- two close friends dating each other. Do your parents know?"

Jongdae shook his head. Truth be told, he was terrified to reveal the truth to his parents. What was he supposed to say? Many times had he wanted to just tell them and get over the fear that they would shun him. His father disliked Baekhyun, but his mother loved Baekhyun. Would their feelings change or increase in intensity if he ever told them he and Baekhyun were dating?

"Hey, not trying to weird you out or anything. I just want to know how far you two have gone in your relationship. Have you have you two... umm, you know... had--"

"Finish that sentence and you're dead," Baekhyun's voice startled the two. "You're ing gross, Do Kyungsoo. How the are you going to ask your best friend if we ever..." Baekhyun looped his arm with Jongdae's, his lips pursed at Kyungsoo, "You're disgusting. Remind me how we're friends again?"

"I don't Byun, how? We don't really have the same interests. It doesn't matter now cause you're ing my best friend." Kyungsoo darted behind Jongdae to the opposite side where Baekhyun couldn't reach him.

"Oh I miss Chanyeol already," Jongdae muttered as the two behaved like two children playing tag around him, with him as the base. "We're at a mall, guys. Not the park." Jongdae gasped and jumped when someone slapped his rear.

"That wasn't me," Baekhyun quickly said. "That was him."

"I know it's not you." The feeling was all too familiar, it was definitely Kyungsoo. Swift and hard like always.

"Hey, don't go around doing things like that," Baekhyun chastised the youngest of the trio. "What if someone recorded you? Your fans are going to go wild and give you names like... Kyung-booty slapper or something stupid."

---

"I heard what Chanyeol said," Kyungsoo whispered, "but I was too afraid to say anything."

After shopping, Jongdae decided to crash over at Kyungsoo's place. The two laid around in Kyungsoo's bed just staring up at the ceiling as if waiting for it to do something amazing.

"What did he say?"

". Some best friends we are," Kyungsoo repeated Chanyeol's words. "I think Chanyeol's upset that Baekhyun kept you two a secret. They've been close friends for a long time and Chanyeol can get jealous about Baekhyun... and vice versa." Kyungsoo pretended to check cuticles, debating whether he should tell Jongdae about Chanyeol's jealousy.

"So you're saying Chanyeol's jealous of me because I keep spending time with Baekhyun? He's the one always with Jaehwa, why does he care so much?"

"Like I said... I think it's more that he's upset. I can only guess they share secrets no one else would know. They probably go to each other first when something happens."

Jongdae didn't have a relationship of such with anyone, not even Kyungsoo, at least he didn't think. He could only assume what Chanyeol must have felt but if Chanyeol knew Baekhyun and Jaehwa weren't getting along then Chanyeol shouldn't have asked for Baekhyun's help in the first place. Jongdae shouldn't think such things since he didn't know the full story.

"You wouldn't date Yoonmi even if you both liked each other right?"

"What?" Kyungsoo was caught off guard. "Of course not."

"Forget it Kyungsoo. It's not in my place to tell you what happened. It would have to be Baekhyun or Jaehwa."

~~~

Chanyeol blew Baekhyun's phone up with texts and voice messages that eventually the raven-haired boy gave up and found himself sitting outside his bedroom window on the roof with Park Chanyeol. It was a chilly night, the reason why a throw draped over Baekhyun's head and shoulders. The older boy kept his gaze on the evening sky as he awaited for the other to say something, anything.

Chanyeol exhaled and stared up at the sky as well, "So... you and Jongdae."

"Yup."

"Since December?"

"Six."

"Of last year."

"Mhmm."

Silence ensued once again, a comfortable layer added to Baekhyun's protection from the cold breeze. Baekhyun grew tired of the quiet after the sun disappeared, its rays faintly keeping the sky lit for several more minutes. Just like the sun resting for the day, Baekhyun rose and stepped inside his bedroom, beckoning for Chanyeol to follow suit.

Chanyeol sat on edge of Baekhyun's bed, his legs crossing at the ankles. He watched as Baekhyun began folding the throw. "I'm sorry I snapped. I wasn't in my right mind."

"Are you ever?" Baekhyun responded. Although his tone indicated he may have been serious, Chanyeol knew well enough Baekhyun was joking. Baekhyun pursed his lips as he crossed the room to place the throw away.

It's always after we bring up Jaehwa.

"I was mad at myself really, for not noticing," Chanyeol explained. "I thought you would have taken it the wrong way so I tried finding something else to say but I ended up ting my words and now we're forced to talk it out."

"Damn right, you should have just stuck to the truth. Of course I'd understand since you're a that wouldn't have known we were dating if I hadn't called Jongdae to wear his shirt."

"Hey, I kind of noticed. It's just I didn't connect the lines fast enough."

"This is getting awkward Chanyeol," Baekhyun finally said. "Let's just move on. We're both sorry."

"But why didn't you tell me?"

"I thought it would be fun to see how long it took for you guys to find out about us, but with my luck it seemed to backfire?" Baekhyun shook his head and rolled his eyes. "Anyway, it doesn't matter. You know now. You're not a homophobe out are you? Cause--"

"No," Chanyeol interrupted. "It doesn't matter who you date as long as... it's a person."

Wow Chanyeol.

Chanyeol laughed, "You gave me a shock that day. Not only did I find out that you and Jongdae were dating since December--"

"Six."

"--but that you're actually interested in guys too. Like wow, when did you realize?"

Baekhyun sat in his chair and leaned back, swinging side to side as he thought about the question. "I don't know. Jongdae scared the out of me when he told me he liked me. Then I just started thinking and I kind of felt bad for him. I'm not pity-dating him, don't worry." But even as Baekhyun said those words, sometimes he doubted his true feelings. Was Baekhyun dating Jongdae just because? Would Baekhyun dump Jongdae as quick as lightning when Jongdae became boring or useless? "What the ?"

How could I even think that?

Chanyeol blinked in confusion, "What?"

"I'm not pity-dating him," Baekhyun repeated as he faced Chanyeol.

"You already said that but okay."

"Are we done? Cause I'm getting tired and we have school tomorrow morning."

Chanyeol laughed and stood up. Baekhyun was always so direct with him when Baekhyun wanted to go home or wanted him to leave. Chanyeol didn't mind because that meant he and Baekhyun were back in good terms... at least Chanyeol hoped. He still wanted to know about Baekhyun and Jaehwa but it was definitely not the appropriate time to bring it up.

"I'm stopping at the bakery in the morning, you want anything?"

"Just the usual. Oh, and get a blueberry muffin for Jongdae. Wait, let me give you some money." Baekhyun dug through his backpack for his wallet but Chanyeol was already stepping through the door.

"It's okay Baek, it'll be my gift to the happy couple."

Baekhyun glanced up in time to see Chanyeol shut the door. Shoulders sagged, Baekhyun dropped his wallet back inside his backpack.

At least that's over with.

~~~

"I got you a Valentine's gift," Jongdae said. He was about to continue speaking but Baekhyun cut him off.

"Oh what a relief," Baekhyun smiled at the brunet. "I was hoping you'd get me something cause I didn't get you anything." Seeing the deep frown cross Jongdae's face, Baekhyun quickly shook his head, "No no no! I didn't mean it in a bad way. I just meant that... you know how girls give boys stuff on Valentine's while on White Day boys give girls stuff?"

Jongdae nodded slowly as he understood, but he didn't like the way Baekhyun put it in words. "So you're saying I'm the girl in our relationship? Thanks a lot Baek."

"Jongdae, I didn't... I'm sorry!" Baekhyun threw his arms around Jongdae and began pleading for forgiveness and understanding. "I'm the older one but you're the smarter and taller one, it's not fair. I pay for you--" Baekhyun cringed and hastily buried his face in Jongdae's chest. "No no no! I didn't mean it like that!"

"You should just stop talking before you hurt yourself. This isn't worth your reaction."

Baekhyun pulled back with a sigh, "I care about you and I don't want you to misunderstand. Misunderstandings can harm any relationship."

Jongdae couldn't help but smile, "Do you want to see what I got you?" Baekhyun nodded with a sniff. Grinning, Jongdae reached into his backpack and pulled out a rose, holding it out to Baekhyun. The latter took the took the flower and stared at it wordlessly as he the red petals.

"It's fake," Baekhyun said quietly, a pout on face. "Are you telling me your feelings for me are fake?"

"No, silly. It's for you to keep forever and remember our love."

Did he say...

"This rose won't ever die. It'll..."

...love?

Suddenly Baekhyun couldn't hear Jongdae anymore. His eyes were captivated by the plastic rose in his hand, his heart racing in his chest for unknown reasons. He swallowed a lump in his throat as he ran his fingers through the soft petals.

"Are you listening? Baekhyun? Baek? You okay?"

Baekhyun snapped back to reality, turning his head to look at Jongdae. "Sorry, can you start over again?"

Jongdae softly sighed but repeated, "The rose won't die but it'll collect dust over time. Think of the flower as our relationship -- if we don't keep it well maintained--"

"Our relationship can get dusty and disgusting," Baekhyun finished in his own words. "Wow you're deep. I like that," Baekhyun grinned, clutching the rose against his chest. "Thank you sweetie." He leaned forward, pressing their lips together briefly before pulling back. "And it's cute and inexpensive. I told you you were smart."

Jongdae's laugh sent Baekhyun's chest fluttering. The brunet pulled out a box of chocolates and placed them on Baekhyun's lap, "I got you chocolates too. Can't forget about your sweet tooth."

Baekhyun wet his lip in anticipation and tugged the ribbon loose before removing the lid. He plopped a chocolate cube into his mouth, a moan of pleasure resonated from his throat as the chocolate melted on his tongue, it's smooth velvetly texture flooding inside his mouth. He reached for another piece. "This is good. This is perfect. You're perfect Jongdae, don't change," Baekhyun smiled, pressing the cube against Jongdae's lips. "You eat too."

Jongdae parted his lips, allowing Baekhyun to drop the chocolate cube inside. Baekhyun let Jongdae feed him more chocolate and they switched turns until half of the chocolate disappeared.

"Do you remember when we first met? You were acting all cute it was disgusting," Baekhyun said as closed the box of chocolates and set them on his desk.

"You mean when I slept over at your place?"

"Is that how you really are or was that just for show because Baekbeom was there?"

"I can be cute. Why?"

"I'm cute naturally," Baekhyun smiled and batted his eyeslashes. "But you..."

"What?"

"Can I sit on your lap?" Baekhyun asked suddenly, walking to the brunet and stopping in front of him.

"Umm, I guess." But Jongdae hadn't realized Baekhyun meant to face him. Baekhyun clasped his hands together behind Jongdae's neck, resting his arms over the brunet's shoulders. To keep himself from falling back, Baekhyun wrapped his legs around Jongdae's waist. And then Baekhyun just stared. Jongdae nervously gulped, wondering what his boyfriend was up to. After a good amount of time passed, Jongdae cleared his throat, "Baek, what are you doing?"

"I'm analyzing your face... and wow, you're ing gorgeous."

"Thanks for noticing."

"Am I making you uncomfortable?" Baekhyun smirked, eyes landing Jongdae's lips. Carefully, with one hand he softly pressed a finger from one corner of the brunet's lips and traced over to the other. "You have cute lips."

"That tickles," Jongdae chuckled. He wet his lips to get rid of the tingling sensation that Baekhyun left.

"Can I kiss you?"

Jongdae swallowed nervously, "No."

Baekhyun paused, not expecting the answer. "No? Why?"

"Because..." Jongdae would have been fine if Baekhyun gave a quick kiss, but the fact that Baekhyun had to ask... Baekhyun wanted to make out.

Oh no.

Baekhyun rapidly blinked in realization. "Oh god, sorry." Baekhyun quickly removed himself and stood up, awkwardly wiping his hands on his pants. "You uhh... gonna be okay?"

Jongdae uncomfortably reached for his jacket and threw it over himself. "Yup."

The ticking of the clock took over as the couple found themselves at a loss of words. Baekhyun resumed to stuffing himself with chocolate, asking Jongdae if he wanted any. Baekhyun couldn't explain why he felt so... he couldn't even find a word to describe it. s were normal. With Baekhyun being as beautiful as he was it was understandable why Jongdae would suddenly go bump.

But that's where Baekhyun felt uncomfortable. Had Jongdae ever wanted to do more than kiss and hug? Had Jongdae ever imagined him... ? Both together? In bed? Baekhyun clenched his teeth together and sat down beside the brunet, placing a hand on Jongdae's shoulder. Why was he so worried? He and Jongdae were boyfriends.

"Sweetie," Baekhyun said. "Should we have a talk? Make rules and plans? Like what we should do if something like this happens again? I'm being serious don't look away from me."

~~~

Baekhyun brushed his bangs away from his eyes. It was time for a trim. He followed after Chanyeol in a half-jog in order to keep up with his tall friend. How did Chanyeol feel all the time hanging out with a bunch of shorties? Baekhyun would never know, unless he hung out with kids but why would he?

Baekhyun was already having a bad morning despite it being the last day of 11th grade. He'd woken up at the time he should have already been seated in class, skipped breakfast and arrived hungry and weak, received a lecture why he shouldn't be late as if he'd deliberately arrived tardy multiple times, and came to class at a bad time. Everyone had gotten in pairs for a quiz and Baekhyun was forced to take the quiz alone. Unlike the others who had half an hour to take the quiz, Baekhyun only had about ten, not even. He was pretty sure he failed one of the last quizzes of the year.

"Where are you taking me?" he inquired but Chanyeol remained silent. Chanyeol had asked for him after Baekhyun finished gorging down his and some of Jongdae's lunch but Chanyeol hadn't been clear about where he was taking Baekhyun nor why he needed Baekhyun. All Chanyeol had said was about some stupid surprise.

Eventually they arrived to the top of the fourth floor and Chanyeol opened one of the classroom doors. The tall brunet beckoned Baekhyun inside. With a roll of his eyes, Baekhyun stepped in. Empty desks... except for one. Baekhyun whipped around to face Chanyeol, "This is my surprise? It's the last day of school I don't want to have to see this witch."

Chanyeol shut the door and stood guard, "Watch what you call her."

"Chanyeol, what is this?" Jaehwa asked, sliding her phone into her pocket.

"I want you two make up. Whatever that happened between you, just get over it. I'm tired of choosing between hanging out with my best friend and my girlfriend."

"Whatever happened to respect? I thought you were my friend Chanyeol. Bros before hoes," Baekhyun narrowed his eyes with the intent to intimidate Chanyeol but the brunet was having none of it.

"Respect? Calling Jaehwa a witch and a hoe is respectful?"

Baekhyun never broke his gaze from Chanyeol. Standing his ground, Baekhyun folded his arms across his chest, "I'm not 'getting over it' until she apologizes. If she doesn't want to fine, then you'll definitely have to choose her or me. I don't care who you choose."

Chanyeol's eyes flitted to Jaehwa, "Apologize for what?"

Jaehwa stepped away from the desk, "It was just a joke when we younger--"

Baekhyun couldn't focus on the words that spilled from Jaehwa's mouth. A joke? Without hesitation, Baekhyun crossed the room and shoved Jaehwa back against the wall. "You think it was a ing joke?!"

Alarmed, Chanyeol sprang in between the two before Baekhyun could cause further harm. Never before had Chanyeol witnessed Baekhyun's rage on such a level where Baekhyun would resort to physical violence. It frightened him to see Baekhyun explode; why did he hold so much anger toward Jaehwa? Chanyeol snatched Baekhyun's wrists but that didn't faze the raven-haired boy who resorted to kicking and screaming.

"Let me go!" Baekhyun screamed. "Park Chanyeol, you! Cho Jaehwa is it that hard?!"

"Stop it!" Jaehwa shouted as she attempted to get past Chanyeol to break the two boys apart. Jaehwa gasped in shock as the slap rang in her ears as if she were the one Chanyeol had struck. "Chanyeol!"

Chanyeol released Baekhyun as the palm of his hand stung from the impact. Baekhyun staggered back, tears welling in his eyes. "Apologize to her," Chanyeol said quietly.

Baekhyun's eyes shot to Chanyeol's before traveling downward to the crooked tie. He reached out to fix Chanyeol's wretched black tie that became disturbed in the struggle, "How long has it been? Twelve, thirteen years? I used to be so clingy, do you remember that? We held hands, hugged, touched each other's shoulders. I used to sit on your lap, don't you remember? And you carried me on your shoulders because I was such a small child, but you, Chanyeol, you were so strong."

"Apologize to Jaehwa," Chanyeol said, not understanding where Baekhyun was going. Baekhyun always began rambling off whenever he wanted to cry. It was a defense mechanism that Chanyeol always disliked, knowing his best friend was upset but not knowing what to do.

Baekhyun chewed the insides of his cheeks to keep from bursting into tears. There was no question about it, he was going to lose the beautiful friendship he had with Chanyeol. He'd already lost the Cho family and his brother. Chanyeol was the only other person who had been with him since he could remember. "Didn't you find it weird?"

Chanyeol took Baekhyun's wrists to stop the raven-haired boy from his task, "Baekhyun, stop."

"She said it was a joke," Baekhyun choked out, the first few tears dripping down his cheeks. "It was just a joke, a ing joke. Can you believe that? Two guys you barely know groping you? In my book that's ual assault not a ing joke." Baekhyun forced his hand free and stormed out. 

He wondered how red his face was, whether Chanyeol left a giant, fat handprint. Vigorously wiping away his tears, Baekhyun sped down the hallways, ignoring the staring from teachers and students alike. It was as if they had nothing else better to do other than stare, point, whisper, and begin rumors. Had they never seen someone cry before?

Baekhyun stopped moving once he realized he was lost. He searched for the nearest stairwell for a sign, not remembering what floor Chanyeol took him to. As if nothing else could make his situation worse, Baekhyun slipped on the stairs, landing painfully on his and sliding straight down toward Jongdae.

Jongdae only barely stopped Baekhyun from crashing into him. The raven-haired boy looked up at him with whimpering lips and wet cheeks.

"Jongdae," Baekhyun wailed, throwing himself at the brunet and burying his face in between the latter's legs, "I was trying... so hard... to find you!" Baekhyun's sobs echoed throughout the stairwell and traveled to the hallways but Baekhyun was so distressed he didn't care who heard him.

Jongdae tried to grab Baekhyun, but his boyfriend was hugging so tightly onto his legs that movement was impossible without stumbling. Just what kind of surprise did Chanyeol have for Baekhyun to make him cry like this? Jongdae softly patted Baekhyun's head, "Baekhyun, why don't you get up and tell me what happened?"

Baekhyun clumsily rose to his feet with Jongdae's assistance, his face red and puffy. As disgusted as he found it, Baekhyun wiped his nose with the sleeve of his coat before taking the dirtied clothing off. They made their way to the nearest restroom where Baekhyun washed up while Jongdae silently rubbed his back in slow, soothing circles.

"You feeling any better?" Jongdae asked quietly.

Before Baekhyun could reply, the door burst open. The second Baekhyun realized who the newcomer was, he reached for Jongdae and stepped back as far as he could. Chanyeol was the last person he wanted to see at the moment. He would rather face Jaehwa.

"Baekhyun," Chanyeol advanced to his two friends.

The named boy released a shuddering sigh before shutting his puffy eyes and pulling Jongdae back along with him. "Go away."

Chanyeol did stop in his tracks, keeping a safe distance away. "Baek, I'm sorry."

Jongdae hastily put a finger to his lips and shook his head, eyes signaling to the bathroom stalls. Jongdae placed a hand over Baekhyun's to ease the latter's hawk-like grip, but Baekhyun was too tense and numb to understand Jongdae's message.

Park Chanyeol had hurt Baekhyun like never before. Just seeing Chanyeo's face made his cheek throb in pain. How could that have happened? They've fought in the past, thrown punches and kicks, but never at the face, never with such force. That crossed the line. Everything was going fine until Chanyeol stuck his hand where he shouldn't. Fresh tears leaped down Baekhyun's cheeks. He wanted to disappear, to go somewhere no one could find him. Not his parents, not Baekbeom, not even Jongdae.

Jongdae signaled for Chanyeol to go with his free hand, his teeth clenching from the pain.

Word would have circulated that something happened between Baekhyun and Chanyeol had it not been for the fact the two in the stalls at the time were Dongbin and Jongin. Were it any other person, everyone at the school would have known by the end of the day. Not only did he have to thank the two but all those who saw him cry in the hallways. For that, Baekhyun felt eternally grateful. Baekhyun didn't need spectators and people attempting to figure out who was in the wrong and take sides.

Baekhyun had gone to the nurse's office, leaving Jongdae alone to return to the classroom. Stepping through the door, Jongdae immediately locked eyes with a worried Chanyeol. The tall brunet didn't hesitate to ask where Baekhyun was once Jongdae took a seat.

"He's not... feeling well."

Minwoo chuckled before taking a sip from his water bottle. "He probably just wants to get out of school early. He was perfectly fine this morning."

"A lot can happen," Jongdae responded with a hint of irritation.

"Probably the school lunch. I heard they had expired bread today."

---

Baekhyun had gone home early; he couldn't stick around school for any minute longer. Mr. Byun sensed the distress and he swore he could feel Baekhyun his energy away the moment his son walked into the kitchen. Baekhyun glanced around and took notice of the shopping bags. "Did you buy ice cream?"

"Yeah."

The father watched wordlessly as his son opened the freezer and pulled out a pint-sized container of ice cream, the ones they kept in stock for brooding days. Baekhyun proceeded to grab a spoon before disappearing into his bedroom.

Mr. Byun sighed and resumed washing the lettuce. If Baekhyun came back to eat another tub then he would ask but for now he allowed Baekhyun to be alone with the ice cream.

Baekhyun removed the ice cream lid on his way upstairs, tossing the lid in the trash before shutting and locking his bedroom door. Baekhyun hated eating ice cream when he was upset because everything about it was gross, if he wasn't careful he'd end up eating his own tears and snot. He'd already cried at school and thought maybe he would be fine, but the second he put a spoonful of strawberry ice cream into his mouth he started crying again.

He didn't have a crying problem, or at least he didn't think he did until Jongdae managed to coax him to just sit and let the tears flow. Baekhyun wanted to resist, why would he allow himself to cry in front of a stranger? A ing poor soul who didn't even know if he was gay. How did he not know? Weren't there signs? But Baekhyun thought he himself was straight and look where he was.

Baekhyun stabbed his spoon into the pink substance, his lip quivering as his thoughts finally landed on Park Chanyeol. What was going to happen? Did Jaehwa reveal the embarrassing incident that severed their friendship? Would Chanyeol resort to choosing sides?

All he wanted was a damn apology. At one point in his life he felt closer to Cho Jaehwa than he did to Chanyeol. Baekhyun exhaled sharply, wiping at his face. The happened with them and the Chos? They got along well, considered each other family friends. Baekbeom and Yonghwa were besties and Baekhyun and Jaehwa played together. Baekhyun knew something happened between his brother and Seohwa. Seohwa. That girl was always following her brother and Baekbeom whenever she could. Even Baekhyun knew she must have liked his brother. He wished he knew what happened.

Baekhyun also wished Chanyeol never liked Jaehwa. Why her of all people? Not that Jaehwa was a bad person, except for the party back in middle school and her refusal to apologize. How dare she use him to look 'cool' in front of her friends? How dare she tell lies about him and laugh it off like... a harmless joke. Had she apologized, Baekhyun wouldn't have built up his hatred toward her. He would always remember what she did, but at least he wouldn't have such a ing hard time seeing her and Chanyeol together.

The tears came streaming down and Baekhyun began stuffing himself with the ice cream. He didn't want to lose Chanyeol, he couldn't. It didn't matter if he had Jongdae because Chanyeol was Chanyeol. No one could replace Chanyeol. Sure they didn't spend as much time as before, but whenever they did the familiarity he felt with Chanyeol was comforting. No one else could have Chanyeol's presence.

He was losing touch with everyone from his childhood years. Even Joonmyun would be leaving soon. Although Baekhyun had Jongdae... was Jongdae really worth losing everyone?

What if Jongdae left him? Baekhyun was so afraid what would happen if Jongdae suddenly disappeared. No more hand holding, no hugs or kisses. He'd terribly miss Jongdae's voice, the annoying laugh and whiny tone whenever Jongdae didn't get his way.

Oh god...

Baekhyun dropped the spoon into the empty container. Wiping his face to the best of his abilities, he got up and headed to the kitchen for another tub. His presence didn't go unnoticed by his concerned father who actually seemed as if he were waiting for Baekhyun's entrance.

"Son, do you want to talk?"

"Not really," Baekhyun choked out, berating himself for being such a cry baby. Despite his answer, Baekhyun's father walked up to him and placed a protective and comforting arm around the boy's shoulders.

 


 

Whoops I didn't mean to make this chapter so long... or dramatic. I cried writing this, I cry all the time why do I cry so easily? I get too deep into the characters' emotions someone help me stop.