Prejudiced

Free of Charge

Chapter Five: Prejudiced

prejudiced: a judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge

~*~

The brothers were separated into two different rooms. Prosecutor Do decided to stay with Baekhyun to ease the young boy's tension. The high school student swiped his sweaty palms against his pants as he tried his best to look Prosecutor Do in the eyes. The man flashed a quick smile, "Are you thirsty?" Baekhyun quickly shook his head, he just wanted the interrogation to be over with.

The prosecutor cleared his throat and took a deep breath, "Well Mr. Byun, may I see your watch?" Baekhyun unwillingly removed his wrist watch and placed it across the table for Kyungsoo's father. "I noticed that you and brother have the same ones."

"Yeah," Baekhyun replied, horrified at the sound of his own voice. He cleared his voice before continuing, "it was a gift from him." He nervously wet his lips as the prosecutor inspected the watch.

"Do you mind if I take this with me to get the serial number checked?"

"Of course not."

The prosecutor got up and left Baekhyun alone in the room. Shortly after, he returned and began questioning Baekhyun, beginning with, "Where were on the 25th of July, the day of the Yoonkyu Fire."

"D-Do you want what I did the whole day?" Baekhyun fidgeted in his seat, quickly recalling back several weeks and praying his memory didn't fail him.

"Yes, that would be helpful."

As he prepared to go over his events, Baekhyun instantly remembered what he did that evening. He stopped short, unable to speak. That night was a blur, but he knew extremely well what he did just before he lost consciousness, just before the approximate time the school caught on fire. He would have to tell of his day carefully.

"Well, I went to school the majority of the day and came home the usual around 5 to 6 o'clock. After that, I started studying."

"On a Friday night?" Prosecutor Do raised a brow.

Baekhyun nodded, "We had a test coming up in two weeks and my last score wasn't too good so I had to study hard to improve. But of course, because of the fire, the test was pushed until this coming Friday."

With a nod, the prosecutor continued, "Did you do anything else after that?"

Chewing his lower lip, Baekhyun nodded, "Not much that I can remember."

"Were you alone?"

"My parents went out, but I was with..." Baekhyun hesitated for a brief second, his heart rate increasing as the man he knew as Kyungsoo's father stared from across the table. He cleared his throat, "Sorry, I'm just trying to remember."

"That's all right," Prosecutor Do flashed a quick smile.

"Umm, it was Kim Joonmyun. I was studying with Joonmyun. He's really smart, you know?"

Sorry Joonmyun. You better stick to our story or I'm going to get hell for this.

---

"Where were you on the evening of the Yoonkyu Fire?" Detective Cho questioned, hands folded on the table's surface. "The 25th of July."

Baekbeom kept his eyes on the table. He wanted to reveal everything he knew, yet he knew he couldn't. He remained silent and it highly frustrated the detective. It also gave the detective a miniscule amount of reason to believe Baekbeom had something to do with the Yoonkyu Fire.

"Aren't you going to answer me?" the detective asked.

"I know I'm not the one responsible for the Yoonkyu Fire, so why am I here?" Baekbeom finally responded. "Are you doubting me?"

The detective narrowed his eyes, "Now's not the time for that attitude Baekbeom. This is serious."

"Yeah, I'm serious too," the young man stated, blinking up at Detective Cho with a small smile. "You know me, Detective. You know I would never commit such a crime."

"I don't know you Baekbeom. No one seems to know you anymore, not even your own family."

The two remained quiet for several more minutes. Detective Cho answered a knock at the door and stepped out for a minute before returning to his seat, "I'm going to ask again, Byun Baekbeom. Where were you on the 25th of July?" Baekbeom shook his head. "It was your watch we found. You are a suspect right now, Baekbeom. So I suggest-"

"I have the right to remain silent. If you want to make this into a bigger deal than it already is, I would like a lawyer," Baekbeom replied smoothly.

Dectective Cho scoffed, sitting back in his chair, "You want a lawyer then?"

"If you continue accusing me based on a watch."

Dectective Cho gazed intently at the man sitting across the table from him. How could he be so calm about the whole matter? He had known Baekbeom for many years when he was younger and never did he once think he would be accusing the young man of arson. He didn't want to believe Baekbeom was a suspect, but the watch was there and Baekbeom was being evasive.

And it's not just the watch. We found your jacket, Baekbeom.

"All right. Do you have a lawyer in mind?" Detective Cho asked. Baekbeom could keep the lawyer entertained while the prosecutors scavenge for more evidence.

"Yes, I do."

---

"You are free to go," Prosecutor Do said, standing up. Baekhyun blinked in surprise, securing the watch on his wrist. "I will drive you home."

"Wait, what about Baekbeom?" Baekhyun asked urgently with wide eyes.

Kyungsoo's father shook his head as he opened the door, "He's withholding information. We are keeping him for further questioning. As of the moment he has requested a lawyer so it may take a couple of days to sort everything out." Without warning, the raven-haired male's knees gave way and his hands shot out to the table to support him.

Is Baekbeom in trouble?

"I need air," the high school student gasped as the room began to shrink and the walls slowly closed in around him. The prosecutor rushed to Baekhyun's side and led him out. He had witnessed occasions where his son's friend would begin to panic and hyperventilate. Kyungsoo would rush Baekhyun outside quicker than anyone could blink.

"Don't worry. I'm sure your brother will be fine," the man said to assure the young male.

The ride home was silent as Baekhyun gazed out the window into the darkening sky, his thoughts running faster than the car. They had found Baekbeom's watch at the crime scene. Why would Baekbeom be there in the first place? But no, Baekbeom said he hadn't been there since his graduation. Even now, Baekhyun began to doubt his brother... but Baekbeom would never do something like that.

It's a mistake. Baekbeom would never ever perform such a heinous act. My brother would never do something like that. Even if he did, there had to be good reason.  

---

At school the next day, Baekhyun's mind was elsewhere while his body sat in class and attempted to do his work. He refused to talk to Chanyeol or any of the others; at lunch he isolated himself in the boys' restroom. His friends were worried, but Baekhyun kept pushing them away. He busied himself with fulfilling as many favors and requests as he could in the free time he was given.

When Baekhyun had gone to the restroom, Jongdae quickly tapped Chanyeol's shoulder, "Is he going to be okay?"

Baekhyun's best friend shrugged before he slumped his shoulders, "I don't know, I hope so."

When school finally ended, Baekhyun brushed past the swarm of bodies and rushed home, hoping he would see his brother sitting on the couch with a big fat smile on his face. When his father revealed Baekbeom wasn't home yet, Baekhyun ignored his schoolwork for Well work until it was 19:00. After eating dinner, he locked himself in the shower and just stood there as the water trickled down.

If it weren't for his father's knocks on the door, Baekhyun would have fallen asleep standing up. He turned the shower head off and wrapped his body with a clean towel. Looking at his reflection through the foggy glass, Baekhyun attempted a smile.

A smile a day brightens your way.

But it didn't work. He still felt like in the inside.

His phone was practically dancing on the desk and nearly fell off. Throwing himself on the floor and saving his phone from an accident, Baekhyun accepted the incoming call.

"Hey, are you okay? I fell asleep waiting for you to text me back," Kyungsoo said the second he picked up.

With a sigh, Baekhyun replied, "Yes, I'm fine. It's Baekbeom I'm worried about. I'm sorry for not answering your texts or calls and I'm sorry for making my father turn you away. I've been cooped up in the shower after finishing Well business. I'm tired."

"Did you eat yet?"

"I had a bowl of ramen."

"Ramen's not going to fill you up after all you've been through. Let me take you out for a meal."

"No, it's okay. I'm not really hungry, plus it's late and it's a school night," Baekhyun walked downstairs for a drink. He may not have been hungry, but he was thirsty as hell. The doorbell rang and Baekhyun checked the monitor to see Jaehwa. What was she doing at his place, alone? To Kyungsoo, Baekhyun said, "Hold up a minute." He pushed the button on the monitor, "What are you doing here?"

The girl blinked in surprise as she heard Baekhyun's voice, "I wanted to see if you were all right. Your friends are really worried."

Baekhyun narrowed his eyes, "Why do you care? If I didn't allow Kyungsoo to come in, what makes you think I'm letting you?"

"Baekhyun, please-"

"No. Go away. Looking at you doesn't make me feel any better," Baekhyun snapped before turning the monitor screen off and heading to the couch. He resumed speaking to his red-haired friend on the phone, "Sorry, Jaehwa was bothering me."

"What's she doing there?"

"I don't know. Is there anything else you wanted to say before I hang up? I have to talk to Jongdae about his deal. He's the last person on my list."

"You're breaking the deal?"

"Not necessarily. He'll understand and if he doesn't, I don't really care anymore."

"Eat and rest... and take care of your mother," Kyungsoo said before hanging up.

Baekhyun put his phone on the table before lying down on the couch. He glanced at his watch to see what time it was, when he remembered he had left it sitting on his desk in his room. He rolled his eyes and ignored the persistent knocking on the door by cranking up the volume of the music on his phone.

Mr. Byun sauntered over to the monitor to see who it was. Throwing a glance at his youngest son, he approached the front door and opened it, allowing the guest to enter. Mr. Byun reached for the nearest shoe and tossed it at Baekhyun.

Startled, Baekhyun bolted upright to see his father and Jaehwa. He paused the music, "What?"

"I believe you have a visitor," Mr. Byun stated, not the least bit amused by his son's behavior.

"There was a reason I didn't let her in."

Jaehwa responded before Mr. Byun could, "Well, I'm here now, so let's talk. Would you rather chat here or in your room?"

"Here is fine."

Mr. Byun retreated back upstairs to his wife to give the two privacy, hoping they wouldn't accidentally kill one another.

Baekhyun turned his face away, "What do you want?"

"I wanted to see if you were okay, apparently-"

"Well, you've seen me. Now go."

Jaehwa pursed her lips and sat down on the couch beside Baekhyun. The black-haired male immediately got to his feet and crossed the room. She rolled her eyes, "Why are you acting so immature?"

"You should know why," with every second, Baekhyun became more furious. He wished she would pick her up and leave the house. He hated seeing her for just a split second at school, why would he want to talk to her at his own house?

"What do you want me to do about it? It was in the past!" she stood up and narrowed her eyes. She didn't want to admit it, but she missed hanging out with Baekhyun.

The young male refrained himself from throwing  something at her, "I want a ing apology!"

Jaehwa blinked, "An apology?"

"Just because it was in the past doesn't mean it doesn't affect me now!" Baekhyun snapped.  He forced the door open and gestured for her to leave, "Get out of here if you're not apologizing. I'm done with you." When his best friend's girlfriend remained rooted to the living room floor, he said through gritted teeth, "I swear Cho Jaehwa, if you don't ing leave right now I will go over there and murder you."

Arms folded across her chest, she walked out without another word.

---

Kim Jongdae wasn't sure whether he should check up on Baekhyun or not. Kyungsoo had said he wanted to be left alone... and not to mention how Baekhyun refused to speak to anyone that day. He also found out his father was Baekbeom's defense attorney after his father whisked out the house late last night. He hadn't returned yet and Jongdae was filled with anxiety.

He met with Jaehwa on the way to Baekhyun's place. She advised him to leave Baekhyun alone, but after what seemed like a second thought, she added, but then again, he hates me but he probably likes you.

Jongdae decided to give it a shot and found himself standing outside the Byun's front doorstep. It took several seconds before he mustered the courage to press the doorbell, but by then the door swung open and Baekhyun was standing under the doorway with a small smile. "H-Hello," the brunet flashed an awkward smile.

"I was watching you through the monitor ever since you arrived," the older male smirked. "I was actually hoping you would show up; I was planning to call you but you saved me the trouble." He allowed the brunet entrance and the two walked over to the couch.

"Are you... o-okay?" Jongdae asked nervously. He couldn't come up with a better question. Surely everyone had been asking him that.

Baekhyun nodded, "I'm just worried about my brother. You met him last night, he's not..." The older male shook his head and sighed, "He wouldn't burn down a freaking high school. I just know it. I just don't know why he's..." He was at a loss for words.

The brunet gently patted the older male's shoulder, "I don't think your brother burned Yoonkyu."

But then again, you said yourself your brother disappears here and there. Just as he decided to stay for two weeks, he gets called in for being a possible suspect in the Yoonkyu Fire.

Jongdae recalled the conversation he had with Baekbeom just yesterday. Baekbeom sounded as if he were departing. What if -- what if -- Baekbeom did burn the school? He had requested Jongdae take care of his little brother for him. That's what Jongdae was trying to do at the moment, no?

"I don't know... I'm confused," Baekhyun groaned, burying his face in his hands. He bent over, "My mom seemed so freaked out last night, you should have seen her."

The brunet frowned at the raven-haired male's voice. Baekhyun wanted to cry, but he was holding himself back. Jongdae gently massaged Baekhyun's back, striving to comfort the older male, "It's okay Baekhyun."

"I'm sorry," Baekhyun sniffed, wiping the runaway tears. "I'm not... good at crying in front of others."

With a thin smile, Jongdae hauled the other up and embraced him, allowing the older male to rest his head against the brunet's shoulder. "You should cry as much as you can. Don't keep it inside."

"I hate you," Baekhyun sobbed, weakly slapping Jongdae's chest. The tears slid down his cheeks as his lips quivered. He took deep, shaky breaths as the brunet softly patted his back. His voice scratchy, Baekhyun said, "I-I was okay un-until you came."

"You said you wanted me here," Jongdae whispered, using his other hand to the older male's hair, "you needed to talk to me about my favor, right?"

Is it bad I like this emotional side of him?

---

Laywer Kim sighed and leaned over the table, "Baekbeom, why aren't you saying anything?"

"I'm thinking," the young man replied with a quick smile. In all honesty, Baekbeom didn't want to answer his lawyer's question. Baekbeom had been somewhere he shouldn't have, doing things he shouldn't have. "Lawyer Kim, do you believe I'm responsible for the Yoonkyu Fire?" Baekbeom glanced across the table.

Lawyer Kim shook his head, "I can't find it in you to do such a thing."

"What if I was motivated enough? With a strong will and enough motivation, you will be surprised at what one person will do."

The lawyer paused for a brief moment before responding, "Your watch was found at the crime scene. Have you recently been there?"

"No."

"Then why was your watch found? Did you lend it to someone, perhaps?"

"I know for a fact I'm not the only suspect. I know the prosecutors must have possessions from other people as well."

Lawyer Kim nodded, "You are just a suspect, Mr. Byun."

"I don't have to rush. They're probably out there on their hands and knees still searching for other so-called evidence."

At least I know my mother is.

Laywer Kim sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, "Do you want some coffee?" At Baekbeom's nod, the lawyer exited the room, "I will be back." Lawyer Kim walked down the nearly empty halls and made two cups of coffee. As he was stirring the sugar into the cups, he overheard a couple of new prosecutors chattering in hushed voices. What he heard sent shivers up his spine.

Baekbeom, you should stop keeping secrets from me.

---

The next time you cry, you should call me over. I'd gladly comfort you again.

He wished the brunet would hold him longer, it felt nice to have someone other than his bed to cry to. Using the tissues Jongdae handed him, Baekhyun dabbed at his face. He turned away from Jongdae, slightly embarrassed at the fact he had cried like a silent baby in front of Jongdae, someone who he was barely friends with.

"Feel better?" Jongdae smiled.

The other male shook his head, "I feel so drained, mentally and physically."

Jongdae reached out to touch Baekhyun's back, but at the last second he pulled his arm back. Clearing his throat, he asked, "So, what did you want to say about the favor?"

Baekhyun chewed his lower lip before facing to Jongdae, "I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to halt the deal." The brunet nodded expectantly. He had the feeling it would happen sooner or later after hearing the news about Baekhyun and his brother. Suddenly filled with guilt, the raven-haired male continued, "However, I will find you a girl. I'm not just going to leave you in the mud. When things go back to normal -- if ever -- we can resume, unless you find your uality by then, okay? Besides, we've already become friends, haven't we? I'm sure we will be seeing each other around often."

"Yeah, thank you Baekhyun," Jongdae smiled.

"And I owe you an apology for snapping at you the other morning. I just don't do well with... other people touching me."

"Is there a reason why?"

Baekhyun shook his head wordlessly, but Jongdae could see the misery in the older male's brown eyes. Baekhyun had a story to tell, just one he wasn't quite ready to reveal. "I'll call you later, okay?" Baekhyun said. He sniffed again, "You actually have several admirers, you know that?"

---

The next morning, Baekhyun didn't show up to class. Jongdae figured the raven-haired male just needed some time away from school so he didn't question anything about it. At lunch, however, Chanyeol received a text from Baekhyun. The tall male was left speechless and motionless so Kyungsoo stole the phone and read the message.

"Baekhyun was questioned again. They found his pen," the youngest of the four at the lunch table said. "But they let him go because he has an alibi. He says they're probably still suspecting him."

Joonmyun nodded, "Yeah, I was his alibi. I'm actually afraid they will start suspecting me because I was with him."

Oh . His pen? Does he remember I took it?

"Yeah, and Baekbeom's not talking so everyone who's a part of the Yoonkyu Fire Investigation is probably freaking out that he's the arsonist," Kyungsoo added.

Just then, Jongdae's phone rang. It was his mother.

"Jongdae, come home right away after school okay? There are some detectives that would like to speak to you," she said.

The young brunet froze, his heart racing rapidly, "Wh-What? Why?"

The other three caught the urgency in their friend's voice and glanced over in curiosity.

"They found something," she replied before hanging up.

"No wait!" Jongdae groaned, putting his phone away. To his friends he refused to answer what happened. They ate in silence as time slowly trudged by.

---

Baekhyun laid on the couch with an arm resting atop his forehead. His morning had begun crappy. His alarm hadn't gone off as it was supposed to so he rushed his morning routine and was ready to run out the door when he found Detective Cho and his partner walking up to the front door. His feet were glued to the floor as he hoped for good news about Baekbeom, but Detective Cho had said they were there to see him.

They took out his pen and asked if it belonged to him. He said yes. They nodded and informed him they checked the serial number and indeed it belonged to Baekhyun. There were no fingerprints found so they were unable to locate the thief who had stolen the pen.

They probably think I'm a part of it. If they suspect Baekbeom, they will suspect me. They may even suspect Joonmyun. Was Baekbeom at the party too?

With his free time, he had begun his work that he neglected the night before, as well as completing tonight's homework that Chanyeol had texted him.

---

Upon his arrival, Jongdae was nervous as hell. He tried to keep it cool as he walked past the Detective's car and unlocked the front door. Inside, the two detectives were chatting with his mother. They instantly got down to business once Jongdae took a seat.

"Hello Jongdae, can I see your necklace?" the detective with the mustache questioned.

Jongdae reluctantly removed his Little Brother necklace and handed it to Detective Mustache. With his partner the two inspected it before pulling out Jongdeok's Big Brother necklace. The brunet swallowed a hard lump, denying all the possible scenarios running in his mind.

"We found your brother's necklace at the remains of Yoonkyu High School," Detective Mustache explained before handing Jongdae his necklace back. "Have you seen him recently?"

Jongdae shook his head, "I haven't seen him since he graduated from there."

The other detective -- Detective Bald since he practially had no hair -- asked, "Do you know how he was in high school? Did anything happen that would cause him to hold a grudge?"

"Are you accusing my brother for the Yoonkyu Fire?" Jongdae snapped before he could hold his tongue.

Detective Mustache smiled, "No, Jongdae. We are merely asking you if you know your brother's whereabouts."

"I don't know where he is, I've got a lot of schoolwork to do if you don't mind," the high schooler said before getting up.

"Wait," Detective Bald said. "Do you know Byun Baekbeom?"

"Yes," Jongdae answered curtly. "He's my friend's brother." Without another word Jongdae reteated to his bedroom.

First Baekbeom, then Baekhyun, then Jongdeok? Am I next? I haven't lost anything, have I?

The brunet sighed and began his homework, but only for a couple of minutes before he gave up. He wanted to talk to Baekhyun, but the raven-haired boy wouldn't answer his phone. It wasn't until right before bed that Baekhyun texted him back. However, it was only to say he had found a girl for Jongdae and he would be introducing them soon.

Damn it. She better have that magnetic pull because I don't want to fall for you, Baekhyun.

--

The next morning, Baekhyun skipped school once again. It wasn't until Thursday morning that he returned. Jaehwa and Chanyeol had entered the classroom, hand-in-hand. Baekhyun didn't even spare them a glance, instead, he swiveled around in his seat and smiled at Jongdae, "Are you ready to meet your new girlfriend?"

Jongdae nervously laughed and nodded. In truth, he dreaded it. He didn't want to meet a new person and he felt bad for whoever the girl was. She was in an experiment she wasn't even aware of. He wiped his hands on his pants and smiled at Baekhyun, "What's her name?"

"Kwon Yoonmi. You'll like her, I hope. She likes you."

Jongdae smiled along with Baekhyun's nervous chuckle. The brunet enjoyed the way the older student's eyes looked back at his. "Thank you," Jongdae said. "Uhh, how much will that be?"

Baekhyun blinked in confusion before he finally understood. With a wave of his hand he laughed, "Free of charge, it's fine. It's the least I can do since I changed the terms on you so suddenly."

"Are you... sure?"

"Definitely."