Treachery

Free of Charge

Chapter Thirteen: Treachery

treachery: the act of willful betrayal

~*~

The weekend flew by too fast for Jongdae who dreaded to see Baekhyun. He hadn't seen the raven-haired boy since the shed and Jongdae's stomach would constantly tighten whenever he thought of Baekhyun. Jongdae feared he had jeopardized a beautiful friendship. Time didn't stop as Jongdae had hoped; he found himself riding his bike alongside Kyungsoo toward Sooha High School. Another hope failed -- Baekhyun's bike was in its usual spot beside Chanyeol's.

How would Baekhyun react to Jongdae? Would he avoid eye contact? Would Baekhyun smile and greet him as if nothing ever happened? What if Baekhyun told the whole class and they ostracized him? Jongdae didn't think he could handle that. He really did like Baekhyun before the confession and he still did to this day.

"Are you okay?" Kyungsoo asked, noticing Jongdae's pale complexion. "You look worse than the weather."

"Yeah," Jongdae replied before parting ways to his classroom. By the time he reached the room, his heart was ready to explode. But once he stepped through the door and found Baekhyun smiling widely at something Chanyeol must have said, the tension eased off the brunet's shoulders. But when Baekhyun looked at Jongdae, the raven-haired boy's smile somewhat faltered. Jongdae began cursing at himself with all the insults he could conjure at the moment.

"Are you just going to stand by the door?"

Realizing Baekhyun was addressing him, Jongdae quickly walked over to his seat.

"Are you okay?" Baekhyun turned around in his seat to look at Jongdae.

Jongdae blinked in silence, his tongue tied. Baekyun was acting like nothing ever happened. Perhaps it was better that way. "Y-Yeah. Why do you ask?"

"Because... you look scared."

Jongdae laughed nervously before taking out his school supplies. "I'm just... you know..." Unable to finish his sentence, Jongdae dug through his bag for his phone. Baekhyun immediately understood and turned back to the front.

The brunet's shoulders sagged in relief as the morning continued without complications. All the worries and anxiety pent up during the weekend seemed to fade. Elbow propped on his desk, Jongdae rested his head against his arm. Today's history lesson wasn't quite as fascinating as the previous week's.

Jongdae nearly dozed off if it weren't for his phone vibrating in his pocket. In fact, all the students' phones went off during the lecture. Teacher Jung paused and sighed as he pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose, "Class, turn your phones off right now." As the students quickly scrambled for their phones, many of them decided to check the text message.

A collective gasp before nearly all the high school students turned in their seats to gape at the brunet seated behind Byun Baekhyun. At that moment, Jongdae just finished registering the message. Jongdae's phone slipped out his fingers and crashed onto his desk.

Who sent this? The only person who knew...

Jongdae became aware of the eyes and the voices. His breath caught in his throat and somehow he found himself rushing out the classroom. The defeaning ring in his ears muffled out his teacher's voice. With hurried steps, Jongdae paced down the hall, digging the heels of his hands into his eyes to wipe away his tears. A voice called from behind him ordering him to stop, but Jongdae ignored him as well.

Baekhyun finally reached for Jongdae's shoulder and the brunet retaliated with a backhand. "Don't touch me! How could you Baekhyun? I trusted you!"

"It wasn't me! I swear it on my life! You're my friend, Jongdae."

"No one else knows but you!" Jongdae wiped the runaway tears. He gave Baekhyun a weak shove, "I made a mistake trusting you." He scurried down the hallway, leaving Baekhyun alone in the hallway.

Shortly later, Teacher Jung approached Baekhyun. "Where did Jongdae go?"

"He said he's not feeling well," the high school student replied before following his teacher back to the classroom. The other students gave Baekhyun a look as he headed to his seat. He gave Jongdae's desk a glance before sitting down.

Did he know he left his stuff?

After a second thought, Baekhyun got up and began to pack Jongdae's things. From the front of the classroom, Teacher Jung said, "Oh, yes. How nice of you Baekhyun. Be quick about it." The raven-haired boy gave his teacher a brief nod before exiting the classroom.

Baekhyun saw Jongdae disappearing away from the school, a walking dark blob. He stuck his head out the door, "Jongdae!" But no matter how much he shouted he received no response. Fidgeting with Jongdae's umbrella, Baekhyun made ready to chase after the brunet when a hand tugged him back.

"Don't go."

Baekhyun blinked in momentary confusion, "Why?"

"I'm certain he wants to be alone right now," Kyungsoo replied, taking Jongdae's backpack from his raven-haired friend. "I'll take Jongdae's things." While the two re-entered the building, Kyungsoo couldn't help but whisper, "Is it true?"

"Yes, but I'm not the one who leaked the information."

Kyungsoo didn't say anything as he departed from Baekhyun. The red-haired boy didn't know how to feel. His friend that he had been teasing... Kyungsoo felt so sorry. He didn't know. Kyungsoo paused, taking out his phone. A restricted number; he wondered if it was the same restricted number that called him weeks before.

Kyungsoo knew better than to suspect Baekhyun. In all the years he knew Baekhyun, he knew that Baekhyun would never betray a friend like that. Baekhyun was picky with his friends and rarely added anyone into his circle. Baekhyun hadn't considered Kyungsoo a friend until weeks after the two started hanging out. Just as Kyungsoo introduced Jongdae to Baekhyun, Kyungsoo was introduced by Chanyeol. If it weren't for Chanyeol, maybe Baekhyun and Kyungsoo would never really have become friends.

So no, Do Kyungsoo didn't doubt Byun Baekhyun's words.

---

"Jongdae?" Mr. Kim stuck his head out from the kitchen. "Why are you home? Where's your bag? Why are you all wet?" His son ignored him, a giant walking mess trudging upstairs.

Jongdae almost didn't make it to his bedroom before his body began shaking uncontrollably and tears spilled down his cheeks. He was wrong that morning, everything wasn't going to be all right. His lower lip wouldn't stop trembling no matter how hard he tried. In the end he gave up fighting back and allowed himself to cry because he felt he deserved it at the very least.

---

After several hours, Jongdae found himself sitting by his window observing the rivulets of water streaming down the glass. His room felt stuffy but he couldn't open his window to let the breeze in due to the weather. He would turn up the air conditioner but he didn't want to leave his bedroom.

Where did everything go wrong?

Jongdae felt miserable. After waking up it seemed like a lifetime since that morning happened. He really wished to believe Baekhyun didn't betray him but he couldn't see why Baekhyun wouldn't. From the start Baekhyun warned Jongdae not to trust him but trust him Jongdae did. He wished he hadn't freaked out the way he did. He could have laughed it off and denied everything or play it off as a joke, but instead he jumped out of his seat and ran out the classroom. Jongdae groaned in frustration.

An umbrella was making its way toward Jongdae's house and judging from the dark red color of the umbrella, it was Kyungsoo.  Jongdae wasn't planning to answer the door and his father had recently taken off. If Kyungsoo were smart, he would just leave after a couple of failed attempts.

Kyungsoo set Jongdae's bike against the wall and knocked on the front door of the house, his best friend's backpack in his arms. He waited and waited but no one answered. Minutes flew by before Kyungsoo prepared to leave when Mrs. Kim pulled up onto the driveway. Leaving Jongdae's stuff with Mrs. Kim, Kyungsoo walked on home. He would have to wait several days to get to Jongdae.

~

As much as he wished to stay home locked away in his bedroom, Kim Jongdae rose early in the morning and smiled into the mirror. His smile was so forced and pathetic that Jongdae took a moment to stop and think about his future high school life and so on. He was going to be made fun of, going to be put down. He honestly didn't think he would be able to handle it. He felt like the wound from Baekhyun's knife of betrayal would never heal. But he had to it up like a big boy -- like a man.

I've cried enough to last me awhile.

Upon entering the classroom, Jongdae kept his head up and ignored the stares. He strode down the aisle, each step bringing him closer to the source of his uneasiness. It was Jongdae's own fault; there was no one to blame except him.

The raven-haired boy with the bowtie turned his head away, focusing on the book set atop his best friend's desk. Though Baekhyun wasn't the culprit behind the mass texting, he felt a small pang of guilt. Baekhyun didn't want to be associated with the gay outcast of the entire high school.

Yet, Kim Jongdae was his friend. The friend that he had entrusted with secrets his best friend didn't even know. How could he sit back and not defend Jongdae?

Throughout class Baekhyun swore he felt Jongdae's eyes firing lasers through his skull. It only made Baekhyun feel worse about the whole situation.

---

Days passed and not one word was uttered between Baekhyun and Jongdae. Not even a hello or how are you. Their friends became uneasy whenever the two were in close proximity. Jongdae opted for his usual spot to Baekhyun's right so the two wouldn't have to look at one another. The brunet also hoped it would make Baekhyun uncomfortable and a satisfying feeling overcame Jongdae whenever he felt Baekhyun tense. But why was Baekhyun the one who tensed? It was Jongdae everyone was making fun of.

Then one day, Jongdae stopped showing up at the lunch table.

That was when the guilt began to eat at Baekhyun again. But should he be feeling guilty? He wasn't the one who spread the word around.

Kyungsoo attempted to find the sender of the text but the number was blocked. He sat beside Chanyeol, frowning at Baekhyun whose eyes were lost in space.

I know Baekhyun wouldn't do something like that. He helps people's lives, not destroys it.

---

Weeks passed.

It became rare to see Jongdae outside the classroom. During lunch he disppeared to unknown locations within the school, if he remained in the school at all. Kyungsoo would go through days not even speaking to Jongdae. The brunet would slip away before Kyungsoo got a chance to. Finally one day, Jongdae texted his friend to leave him alone. Kyungsoo, out of options, acquiesced.

It wasn't as if Jongdae was drowning himself in depression and misery. Rather, he just needed time alone. That's how he was -- in fact, that's how his whole family functioned. Perhaps even the reason Jongdeok left without a word.

And it wasn't as bad as Jongdae had expected. Rather than approaching him the students avoided him like the plague. After a couple of days, Jongdae became accustomed to the stares, the lack of eye contact, the smirks, the whispers. Occasionally, students would but it was nothing Kim Jongdae couldn't handle. He had yet to receive any physical abuse. On more than one occasion, a couple of students he knew from Yoonkyu actually approached him saying they had his back. Not knowing how to respond Jongdae simply nodded and thanked them.

If Jongdae was angry or upset at anyone it would have to be Byun Baekhyun, who had yet to say anything regarding the incident. Jongdae felt so betrayed and disappointed after days of sitting side-by-side and waiting. Jongdae had disappeared from the lunch table when he came to accept the fact that Baekhyun wouldn't be apologizing anytime soon. What angered Jongdae the most was the part of the text that included the mentioning of his parents. Jongdae could face attacks on him but his parents were a different story. How disprespectful of the sender to mention his parents.

Jongdae's parents liked Baekhyun and Baekhyun seemed to get along with Jongdae's mother just fine. Jongdae needed to believe it wasn't Baekhyun but no one else knew, so if not Baekhyun, who?

---

It was a cloudy day, little sprinkles of rain keeping the majority of Sooha's students inside. Jongdae took the opportunity to step outside, protected by his umbrella.

From where he stood, Baekhyun caught sight of the brunet slowly walking around the high school campus. Beside Baekhyun, Kyungsoo peered out the window with his hands pressed against the cold glass, "What is that idiot doing now?"

Jongdae was enjoying himself, avoiding the large puddles sure to make a mess of his shoes and pants. His coat kept the warmth inside and prevented the cold from trespassing. He checked the time and and decided to return to class. Jongdae entered through the door before anyone else, which he had been hoping to accomplish. That way, he wouldn't be the one awkwardly striding down the aisle avoiding eye contact with everyone. Instead, as Baekhyun stepped in, Jongdae made sure to stare long and hard at the raven-haired friend.

Baekhyun always looked away, uncomfortable at receiving the unwanted attention, but that day he decided to stare back. Caught off-guard, Jongdae's eyes flitted away for a split second but it went unnoticed.

---

Joonmyun slammed his pencil on the table, his patience running thin -- or rather, his tolerance. Looking at the table next over occupied by the three first years, Joonmyun sighed, "Hey, could you three keep it down? I'm trying to study." The third year kept his eyes fixated on the nearest first year.

Eventually one of the guys replied, "You're friends with Jongdae, aren't you? Is it true?"

"I don't know," Joonmyun snapped, "why do you care so much? Do you want to confirm it so you can ask him out on a date?"

The three muttered under their breathes before apologizing for disturbing Joonmyun's peace. They were rather startled by the older student, whom they all knew to be extremely patient.

Once the three disappeared, Joonmyun's shoulders sagged and he resumed his studies. It wasn't long before he happened to glance up and see Jongdae's back at the nearest bookshelf. Joonmyun paused; he honestly didn't know if the rumors were true or not but it was unfair to the poor kid. He had been drowning himself in his books and online resources he rarely saw his friends. It would be his only chance to speak to Jongdae alone. Tearing a piece of paper, Joonmyun crumpled it up as tightly and dense as he could and -- glancing around to make sure no one was watching -- tossed the paper ball, striking the back of Jongdae's left shoulder.

Jongdae felt the impact but ignored it, assuming it was a rotten person that wanted to laugh at him.

"Jongdae!" Joonmyun hissed out as loud as he dared. Recognizing the voice, Jongdae slowly turned around, finding the piece of paper on the floor. Picking it up, he sauntered over to the table where Joonmyun sat.

"What is it?" Jongdae questioned. Joonmyun frowned at the bags under Jongdae's eyes, wondering just how badly the rumors were affecting the young brunet.

"Are you busy?"

Jongdae's eyes traveled to the table, strewn with papers, pens and pencils, workbooks and textbooks. Shaking his head, Jongdae said, "No, but it seems you are."

Joonmyun smiled, carefully shutting his books and setting them aside, "I want to talk to you."

"About what?" Jongdae pulled out a chair and sat down. "The text? The rumors?"

Joonmyun nodded and detecting the hesitation in the younger boy, quickly said, "Please? As a friend, I need to know what's fact and what's fiction. I need to know how to respond to others."

So you know how to respond?

"Well," Jongdae sighed, "it's true. I had confessed my feelings and gotten rejected. If others ask you, just ignore them. If they're so curious I'm available for confrontation."

Joonmyun blinked in surprise, but not because Jongdae admitted he was queer nor because of Jongdae's advice. It was because Baekhyun never said anything. Everyone was targeting Jongdae while treating Baekhyun as the unfortunate victim or ignoring him altogether.

Jongdae chuckled nervously, "What's with that look?"

"When was the last time you spoke to Baekhyun?"

"That day the news came out."

That was almost a month ago. Why hadn't Baekhyun come out to defend Jongdae? He's practially encouraging the torment.

"How are you? You look tired," Joonmyun commented.

Jongdae slowly nodded, "I haven't gotten much sleep this week because my grandparents came over to visit. Does it look that bad?" Jongdae gently touched his eyes bags, "I even put makeup on to hide them. Guess it didn't work." Joonmyun chuckled at the brunet's pout.

He's so cute.

"What's so funny?" Jongdae became self-conscious of his appearance.

Gesturing to his own lips and imitating Jongdae's pout, Joonmyun replied, "You have a habit of doing that." Joonmyun leaned closer to Jongdae, "If you don't mind me asking, when did you start developing your feelings toward Baekhyun?"

The younger male pursed his lips in deep thought. He didn't remember. It wasn't like there were signs telling him that Baekhyun was the one. His feelings came out of nowhere. Maybe he got it all wrong, maybe he didn't even like Baekhyun. Perhaps it was just a strong admiration or deep respect that he mistook for a crush. No, it didn't account for the way his heart thumped whenever he saw Baekhyun, nor the way he always smiled after Baekhyun did.

Ugh, why couldn't I have been normal?

"I don't know," Jongdae finally replied. "But it's okay. I'll get over him. I'm sure it was nothing more than a little boy's crush."

"Don't ignore your feelings. Sometimes our hearts are smarter than our brains."

The remaining time was spent sitting in an awkward silence until the third year deeply inhaled and fixed his posture, "Well, sorry for taking your time."

Jongdae took the hint and nodded, "Good luck on your CSAT."

Joonmyun groaned inwardly at the upcoming biggest event in his life. He had one more month and it actually scared him to the point of insomnia and studying as a coping mechanism. "Thanks, I'm going to need it," Joonmyun sighed.

---

Once he reached his house, Jongdae locked himself in his room and stripped before jumping under the covers and taking a quick nap. He didn't realize how much he needed someone to listen.

Downstairs, Mrs. Kim prepared dinner with slow movements. Her youngest son refused to talk about his problems which made it difficult for her to comfort him. As a mother, it was most disheartening to be unable to provide for her child's needs. Why was Jongdae crying so much? She couldn't remember the last time her son had been in the dumps. Even after Jongdeok left, Jongdae was stable. Something must have happened at school. Did he get into a fight with one of his friends? Was it Baekhyun?

Mrs. Kim shoved that last thought out the window. She was judging Baekhyun based on recent events. But to the knowledge of her extent, Jongdae seemed to have changed after meeting Baekhyun. Being the woman she was, Mrs. Kim conducted a small background check on Byun Baekhyun. When she found out that his older brother was one of Jongdeok's close friends, she didn't put much thought into it but what if it was all a conspiracy? Again, Mrs. Kim pulled herself back to reality. Quickly, before the idea drifted away, Mrs. Kim scurried to her notebook and scribbled out her thoughts. It may come in handy for her current book.

About an hour later, Mrs. Kim paused as she heard a door close, followed by the unmistakable thumps of feet jogging downstairs. Her son appeared with a wide smile, his eyes tired and hair sticking up on one side.

"Hey Mom, is dinner ready yet? Did you need help?"

Mrs. Kim shook her head, "Dinner will be ready soon. There's nothing else to do but wait for the wings to bake."

Jongdae retrieved a glass of water to quench his thirst. Water had never tasted so good.

"Son, you look like you just woke up. Go make yourself presentable."

"Why? It's just going to be us. You gave birth to me and raised me my whole life. You've seen worse," Jongdae laughed as he gently elbowed his mother's side.

Mrs. Kim rolled her eyes, "I raised you better. It must be your father."

Silence fell between the two before they burst into laughter. Jongdae hugged his mother from behind, resting his chin on her shoulder, "I love you Mom."

Mrs. Kim suddenly felt afraid. Perhaps his words meant nothing more than the fact that he loved her, but Mrs. Kim didn't know. Jongdeok had said the same before he disappeared off for two years as well as the most recent visit. "I love you too, Jongdae."

Mother and son sat across another after preparing dinner. "It's too bad Dad's busy," Jongdae commented. Ever since Jongdeok paid his visit, Mr. Kim had resumed investigating the Yoonkyu Fire along with Mrs. Byun. Jongdae couldn't remember the last he saw his father.

Jongdae pursed his lips distastefully. He did remember, it was the day the text came out.

"You know I'm always here for you, Jongdae," Mrs. Kim said before placing the rice inside . Jongdae nodded although she was no longer looking at him, but what happened to him at school wasn't something he wanted to discuss with his mother. She didn't need to be stressed out with him; Jongdae hoped to get through without ever having to mention it to her.

---

Baekhyun's thoughts were occupied by a certain brown-haired boy with the curliest lips he had ever set eyes on. He wished to keep their friendship but it was more awkward than he had expected, knowing that Jongdae saw him as something more. Baekhyun sighed and stabbed into his paper, creating a dark hole that eventually tore. Would it be just as bad as being in a relationship to make the other happy?

It wasn't as if Baekhyun hated Jongdae or found the brunet repulsive. He just... wasn't looking for a relationship, and certainly not with his male friend. Baekhyun thought long and hard to the moments the two shared together. What difference did it really make if they just stepped up a little higher in their relationship, but Jongdae was the type to want to hold hands and hug and... kiss. Baekhyun scrunched his face at the thought of them kissing. Then what would happen if Jongdae started using his--

"No!" Baekhyun shouted in alarm as he jumped to his feet, heart racing. He shut his eyes and shook his head but the harder he tried to erase the image of Jongdae's body and lips pressing against his, the more vivid it became.

Could it be? Was his brother right about him all that time? Baekhyun had a crush on a girl once in middle school. She was the absolute nicest and prettiest girl in his class. Of course, she had no interest in him at all.

There's always the option of being bi...

He just wanted to remain friends, was that so hard? A friend would have defended Jongdae. Baekhyun scrunched his face in disgust before slapping himself. He relished in the sting, knowing he deserved more. He had to do something.

He called the smartest friend he had, wondering why it took him about a month to finally do something. Baekhyun used his arm as an excuse. That same week the text occured, Baekhyun had removen his cast. He had several trips to the hospital for check-ups until his doctor said he was fine. With his arm kind of back in action, Baekhyun had more time to think of Kyungsoo's best friend.

Oh, Jongdae. I am so terribly sorry.

~

The computer room was filled with bodies. Eyebrow twitching, Baekhyun scanned for a familiar face. He swore under his breath because nearly everyone had dark brown hair, why didn't Joonmyun have blond hair or something? Baekhyun strode down the aisles, eyes flitting from head to head until he located his target. Making haste, Baekhyun dashed to the empty seat beside Joonmyun, sitting down with such force the chair rolled and hit the wall.

Joonmyun barely acknowledged his friend as he furiously typed away on the computer, only pausing to push his glasses up the bridge of his nose. Baekhyun scooted closer to Joonmyun and peered over his friend's shoulder. Symbols, letter, numbers -- Baekhyun didn't understand anything. Sitting back in his chair, Baekhyun folded his hands and rested them on his lap, his lips compressed in a thin line.

I wonder how long it will take.

Joonmyun took a quick break as his hands began cramping. Turning to Baekhyun, he said, "I'm almost done, don't worry."

"Thank you so much for doing this," Baekhyun said, making sure he wouldn't forget to thank Joonmyun for all his hard work. He had to let Joonmyun know how much he appreciated the time and effort the older male was sacrificing for his sake. Baekhyun also knew what Joonmyun was doing was probably illegal or borderline.

Joonmyun nodded wordlessly as he resumed his task. Puffing out his cheeks, Baekhyun took his phone and clicked on the mysterious text.

???: Kim Jongdae is gay. He asked Baekhyun out and got rejected... poor boy. His parents must be so ashamed to have raised a son like him. --Sent at 12:15 pm, 2014 October 6.

"I found it."

Baekhyun snapped his attention to Joonmyun, "Really?" At the older male's expression Baekhyun frowned and leaned in closer, but he couldn't understand anything on the computer screen.

Joonmyun uncomfortably sat upright in his seat while moving his chair slightly over, "You won't believe who it was."

"Where exactly am I looking at?"

Joonmyun pointed to the screen at a very familiar name. Baekhyun stared at the name for a couple of seconds before rising on his feet and leaving.

"Hey, you owe me!" Joonmyun called out.

Baekhyun dismissed his friend's words with a wave of his hand. He had other matters to worry about. He'll pay Joonmyun back later.