Broken

Free of Charge

Chapter Seven: Broken

broken: having given up all hope; despairing; disrupted or divided; fractured or damaged and no longer in one piece

~*~

They found Baekhyun's pen and Baekbeom's watch and Jongdeok's necklace. It was only a matter of time.

, .

Joonmyun was so frightened when he had received a phone call from Prosecutor Do that one Sunday evening asking to verify if he and Baekhyun were indeed studying at the Byun residence. He couldn't blame Baekhyun for mentioning him, after all, he had requested Baekhyun to be an alibi for him so he could go to the stupid party. Before he left Baekhyun home alone to study, the two had discussed their plans -- hell, they discussed it at lunch before taking action.

It wasn't like anyone was going to rat him out. Everyone who attended the party on the 25th of July knew they were taking risks. They knew if one was caught, surely the others would too. That's why when Baekbeom was called in and became a suspect of the Yoonkyu Fire, Joonmyun began to worry. Everyone knew Baekbeom was clever, but if he slipped up, their problems would only worsen.

Damn it, why did I let myself get dragged into this?

Baekhyun waved his hand across Joonmyun's face, "Hello? Are you paralyzed?"

The third year blinked rapidly and slapped the second year's hand away, "What is it, Baekhyun?"

"I need your help before my test date arrives," Baekhyun sighed in despair. With a hopeful glance, the young raven-haired boy smiled at his smart friend, "Can you possibly tutor me one of these nights?"

"When is the test?" Joonmyun instantly inquired.

"It's this Friday."

", Baekhyun. You know I'm busy. I need to know ahead of time."

"But you do," Baekhyun insisted. "There's tonight, Wednesday and Thursday night."

"I'm tutoring people whose parents actually pay me."

"Well, when are you available?" Baekhyun sighed, realizing if Joonmyun was unable to help him he was going to fail yet another test.

Sensing the distress in his friend's voice, Joonmyun sighed and shut his eyes as he thought about his schedule. "You can either join me and my students at the tutoring center after school until 19:00 or have a private study session at my house around 19:30 for about an hour or two."

Damn it. I don't want people to know I need help in my studies.

Joonmyun sighed again, "What am I saying? We'll do it my place, loser."

"Thanks, buddy," Baekhyun said. "How much will that cost?"

"A bottle of liquor."

Baekhyun blinked, waiting for a real answer. When he received none, he gave a slow nod, "How about I just pay you ten thousand won?"

"Tonight's not good, so tomorrow or Thursday night?"

"Whichever's more convenient for you."

"Baekhyun, just pick a ing night."

Geesh, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

"Tomorrow night then," Baekhyun replied. Joonmyun nodded and got up, tossing his unfinished lunch in the trash before heading to the restroom. Baekhyun glanced several tables over to where Jongdae and Yoonmi were seated. A pout formed on his lips at the two's bright smiles and laughter. He squirmed in his seat and glanced at his wrist watch, always pausing before checking the time.

After returning from the police station, Baekhyun hadn't wanted to see or wear the watch because it was the watch that had caused the problems. But he needed to tell time and he had a habit of looking down at his left wrist whether a watch was there or not. Also, with his older brother being locked away in jail, it was yet another way for him to feel closer to Baekbeom.

Baekhyun was alone for a couple more minutes. Kyungsoo's class was being punished because a student's phone went missing. Baekhyun almost left the table, but just as he placed his hands on the edge of the wooden surface, Kyungsoo emerged from the hallway.

The raven-haired male smiled at the sour-faced redhead as Kyungsoo sat across the table from him, "How are you, Kyungsoo?"

"Hungry. Angry. I think it's stupid someone would steal a phone. Damn, it's just a freaking phone. What do you plan to do with it? Unlock it and unveil the secrets?" Kyungsoo began shaking his legs beneath the table as his fingers repeatedly tapped the surface of the wooden table.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes with a sigh. Why was everyone at the usual table so depressed and angry? He wanted to be happy, too, just like Jongdae and Yoonmi. If it weren't for the fact he needed Jongdae and Yoonmi to bond, he would march on over to the couple and sit with them, invited or not.

"Joonmyun's in a crappy mood as well," Baekhyun commented. "Don't drag me along in your road to misery."

"I would think you're the most miserable of us all," Kyungsoo said, finally sitting still. "I heard from my father they plan to have a bench trial at the end of this week."

"Serious?" Baekhyun gasped, alert and wide-eyed. "They're going to court? What's going to happen to my brother?"

"I don't know, Baekhyun. My father is good, but so is Jongdae's. We can't predict the outcome but I can tell you this: my father doesn't believe your brother is the arsonist. I don't think he will try as hard. Also, he mentioned how there wasn't enough hard evidence, but he was still planning to go through with it because of the media's pressure."

The older male nodded slowly, recalling his mother's news of other suspects. "My mom mentioned finding a whole lot of objects belonging to other people that could potentially be the arsonist."

---

The students of Sooha High School sighed gratefully once their last class ended and they were free. Well, only some of them were free -- others had to attend extra classes, go to work, or whatever else business they had. Joonmyun was one of them. As for Baekhyun and the others, they were free to do as they pleased. Hoping to take a warm bath and a relaxing nap after a long, depressing day full of negativity, Baekhyun sped to the bike racks, expecting to see his bike waiting for him.

What greeted him was an empty space with his broken bike lock lying on the floor. Eyes wide, Baekhyun walked down the bike racks, failing to locate his own bicycle. His blood drained from his face and his palms began sweating. " this !" he shouted angrily, grabbing the attention of those around him. A teacher frowned and shook her head, but continued her way to her car as if she had already forgotten what took place.

"What is it?" Kyungsoo asked as he arrived with Jongdae. The two would have heard Baekhyun's swearing from a mile away.

"Someone ing stole my bike!" the raven-haired male stormed off toward the direction of his house. The faster he got home, the sooner he could ease the tension that was twisting in his chest.

Jongdae called out after him, "Did you want to borrow mine?" Baekhyun shook his head without sparing a glance over his shoulder.

Jongdae turned back around to face Kyungsoo. Lips pursed, brows furrowed -- the red-haired boy asked, "Why did you offer your bike?"

"Because -- unlike you -- I'm nice," Jongdae unlocked his bike and began rolling it away.

---

When Baekhyun got home, he went straight into the bathroom and emerged himself in warm water. What happened last Thursday flashed into his mind, when he opened the door and saw him. He thought he was in a nightmare at first until it dawned on him he was in reality.

Stupid Chanyeol had to get himself suspended. I didn't ask for your help.

Baekhyun groaned loudly, placing his elbow on the edge of the tub and burying his face in his hand. He had too much crap in his life that he didn't need. He needed someone to talk to. He needed to lighten the load, but how? How was he going to do that? Reaching for his cell phone, Baekhyun checked his message inbox. Nothing new. Baekhyun groaned again, slamming his head back against the wall.

Can someone talk to me? Is there anyone willing to listen?

One person instantly popped in his mind -- Kim Jongdae. As quickly as that thought came Baekhyun shook his head. But Jongdae was always there, was he not? The memory of Baekhyun crying in front of the brunet nearly made him sick. Jongdae had already seen his weak side, what harm could there be in allowing a secret to slip through the cracks? Taking action before he could change his mind, Baekhyun sent Jongdae a quick text.

---

Jongdae sighed miserably as he stared up at the ceiling. He didn't like Yoonmi... well, he liked her well enough, but... Jongdae was just confused.

He received a text message from Baekhyun, asking him to come over. The moment Jongdae read why Baekhyun was inviting him, he bolted upright and soon found himself leaning against the wall.

Ugh, my head. Not smart, Jongdae.

---

The young man's heart beat furiously as he blinked down at his phone. He really just texted Jongdae. Baekhyun hastily got out the bathtub, nearly slipping twice.

There's no backing out now, Baekhyun.

But why was he choosing to tell Jongdae? Why not Chanyeol or Joonmyun or even Kyungsoo? Only a select few knew of the situation between him and Jaehwa, the select few being the ones present when the incident occurred. Raehyuk included.

Because I trust him, like he trusted me.

He chose Jongdae because he still remembered that evening when the young brunet held him and encouraged him to cry. And cry, Baekhyun did. The raven-haired male was always embarrassed whenever he saw the brunet, but the brunet never said anything. It seemed everything between the two stayed how it should, between a door the two stood guard over and protected. No one needed to know what they said to another or what they did whenever they were together.

With shaky hands, Baekhyun placed his phone down on the sink counter after he received a quick response from the brunet. Rinsing his hands once more under the sink, he began applying his facial moisturizer. Suddenly, Baekhyun felt as if he made a grave mistake. Baekhyun shut his eyes and hoped he would feel better after sharing a dark secret. Unlike Chanyeol, Jongdae understood how to listen and act. He wasn't filled with hours of advice (or drunk off his ) like Joonmyun, and he most certainly wasn't a harsh critic like Kyungsoo.

I've made a valuable friend, in the strangest of ways.

With so many things going on -- Baekbeom, Yoonkyu, school, his Well business -- Baekhyun needed a way to ease the burden on his shoulders.

Not to mention Jongdae is the only one to keep pestering me about Jaehwa and it seems he actually cares.

He was so lost in thought, he wasn't even aware that Jongdae had already arrived and was standing just outside his room. It was the knock that caught his attention. Startled, Baekhyun glanced up and began panicking.

"Baekhyun? Are you in there? Your mother said you were but maybe you snuck out the window or something," Jongdae's voice blabbered on for several more moments as Baekhyun got up and crossed the room. Jongdae was still talking even after Baekhyun opened the door.

With a frown, the older male leaned against the doorframe, "Do you ever stop talking about nonsense? Why would I climb out the window?"

The brunet grinned widely, "Maybe you wanted to be spontaneous tonight." After a couple of awkward seconds of standing at the door, Jongdae cleared his throat, "So, can I come in or are we just going to talk out here?"

Realization dawned on Baekhyun and he quickly stepped to the side, making sure to lock the door after Jongdae entered. Revealing a secret to one person was bad enough, he couldn't have his parents listening. If they heard, Baekhyun would kill himself.

"Am I allowed to sit on your bed?" Jongdae questioned as he carefully took a seat on the edge of the bed.

The older male sighed and decided to let Jongdae's question slide. Hands clasped over his lap, lips curved in a small smile, eyes attentive -- Jongdae patiently waited for Baekhyun to reveal his secret. Baekhyun kept a small amount of space between him and his guest. The clock that hung on the wall ticked and tocked until it began driving Jongdae insane. But to Baekhyun, it was a peaceful sound that drowned out the scary silence.

"Do you want to know why I don't feel comfortable with others touching me?" Baekhyun finally asked. He brushed his bangs from his eyes and continued despite his lack of response, "It was because of Jaehwa."

Jongdae turned two-hundred percent of his attention to the raven-haired male, his interest spiking remarkably high; Baekhyun was finally going to tell him why he and Jaehwa never got along. He urged Baekhyun to continue.

The older male deeply inhaled and exhaled before saying, "It was when I was still new at the whole Well thing. She asked me for a favor, to go with her and a group of friends to a party. I saw no real harm in it so I went along."

Am I really going to tell him this?

Jongdae saw Baekhyun's hesitation. Taking his hand, the brunet offered a smile, "I can tell you're distressed, but you should get the load off your chest."

With a nod, Baekhyun continued, "Her friends were rowdy and mischievous. Along with me and her, there were two girls and two guys. The party was a few blocks away from her place so we walked there. Everything was going all right, nothing was really wrong or off. At least I didn't expect anything."

He's stalling.

Baekhyun gulped and took his hand back from Jongdae's, "I was standing off in the corner minding my own business, when Jaehwa's guy friends came up to me. We were having an okay time chatting, but then they started touching me. I literally had to run home and soak myself in hot water to feel clean. I later found out Jaehwa informed them I was a... gay." Revealing the largest embarrassment of his life, Baekhyun fell back on his bed and buried himself under his blanket. "It's a good thing I don't drink. Who knows what would have happened."

Jongdae stared at the figure lying under the blanket. After a brief moment, the brunet crawled and laid beside his friend. Baekhyun felt the presence of the brunet as the bed caved in. Removing the blanket from his head, Baekhyun faced Jongdae, "Thank you."

"For what?"

The older male smiled, "For not freaking out. I hadn't realized how much of a burden hiding what happened was."

"Well, it's not good to keep in so much. I'm glad I can help you out, Baekhyun. But, if you don't mind me asking, why did you choose to tell me?"

"Because... I don't know," Baekhyun replied. "You're good at this kind of stuff. I know you won't judge me. You haven't known me long enough to be able to, anyway."

"This has nothing to do with the request? I'm not getting charged for this, am I?" the brunet smirked, receiving a light punch from the raven-haired male.

"No. You're spending your time with Yoonmi. How is she, anyway?"

"She's nice."

"Okay then," Baekhyun doubted his friend's answer. "I'm tired, go away."

"You look tired. Why can't you just sleep while I'm here? I'll protect you from the monsters under your bed."

The raven-haired boy scoffed and punched the brunet's shoulder again, "Baekbeom scared away the monsters years ago. You're a little late."

"Hey," Jongdae grinned. "You still have the energy to joke around. Just close your eyes, it's fairly easy." Jongdae gently patted the raven-haired's shoulder. "It's as easy as blinking."

Baekhyun snorted in derision, brushing Jongdae's arm away. Nevertheless, he closed his eyes and waited for sleep to overtake him. After several silent minutes, Baekhyun sighed and glanced up at the brunet. With a small smile, he asked, "Are you a good singer?"

"According to my family, yes," Jongdae replied. "I'll lull you to sleep, my giant baeby." Choosing a soft ballad, the brunet sang, his melodic voice creating music itself. When he looked back down at Baekhyun, the older male had actually fallen asleep.

The brunet smiled and pulled the covers over the sleeping figure. Taking out his phone, he snapped several pictures of Baekhyun. He even dared to take a selca of himself beside Baekhyun, their faces nearly touching.

Leaning back against the bed headboard, Jongdae scrolled through the pictures, deciding he liked the one with the two of them the best. With a wide grin, he set it to Baekhyun's caller ID. With a soft sigh, he wished he had someone to send the picture to.

~

After a quick glance at his wristwatch, Baekhyun patted Joonmyun's shoulder, "Thanks for helping me prepare for my test. You should study for yours now."

As Baekhyun was packing his belongings, Joonmyun swiveled in his chair, "Did you need a ride home?"

The raven-haired male shook his head. He lived about five minutes away and didn't want Joonmyun to waste precious studying time just to drop him off. "Study hard for your SAT, Joonmyun. Make me proud!" He flashed a wide grin before heading toward the door.

"Wait!" Joonmyun shouted. "Don't forget your phone." He retrieved the phone, handing it to its owner. Baekhyun laughed and thanked Joonmyun before taking off.

Baekhyun breathed in the chilly evening air, hugging himself to keep warm. He wished he had his bike so he could just pedal on home. His thoughts began to wander on Joonmyun, on Chanyeol, on Kyungsoo, on Jongdae, on Baekbeom. Why was Baekbeom's watch and his pen found at Yoonkyu High School? Who could have taken his pen without him noticing? Unless he let someone borrow the pen and forgot. Baekhyun wasn't going to lie to himself, who would want to steal his... prehistoric pen? Well, if it was found at Yoonkyu, perhaps the party Joonmyun went to-- wait. Did that mean Joonmyun-?

He came to a halt when something hit the side of his head. Turning toward the direction of the attack, he caught sight of three figures charging towards him. Before he could run and cry for help, the nearest figure clamped a gloved hand over his mouth while the other two helped drag him away from unwanted eyes into the alley. His backpack was yanked off his shoulders and the person in front of him stepped aside. Not a moment later Baekhyun found himself facing a brick wall. Frightened, he said, "Wh-What do you want? Let me go, please!"

"Why would we?" a voice replied. "You are Byun Baekhyun, no?"

"Yes, he is," the one who took Baekhyun's backpack answered as he held out Baekhyun's student identification card. "It to be you, Baekhyun."

Before Baekhyun could respond, the person who tightly gripped onto him violently shoved his body toward the wall. He wasn't even able to prepare himself before the sudden pain flaired up his arm and head. His assailant jerked him back and slammed him against the wall once more. A strangled cry caught in Baekhyun's throat as the sound of bones breaking filled his ears and half his body felt numb.

"One more time?"

"We don't want to kill him. Just leave him, let's go."

Baekhyun's body crumpled to the asphalt and he watched as the three dart away. What just happened? Why couldn't he feel his right arm? Who were they and why did they attack him? They didn't even take anything.

With his good arm, Baekhyun desperately reached for his cell phone. There was still enough battery left for one phone call. After dialing the emergency number, he used his remaining battery life to dial his mother. When the line picked up, Baekhyun replied with a broken voice, "Mom... I'm hurt."

However, it wasn't his mother he had dialed. He had misdialed and a male voice replied urgently, "Baekhyun? What's wrong? Where are you?"

"Joonmyun, you're not my mom..." Baekhyun said blankly. "I need to go to the hospital, but they're coming, please don't worry about me too much... help is coming... help is coming. My phone's going to die, can you call my mom and-" Silence replaced Joonmyun's heavy breathing.

My phone died. Am I going to die too?

---

His ears were ringing and his eyelids felt heavy, but the moment he heard his mother's voice, he forced his eyes open, blinking repeatedly until he had a clear view of her face. She was staring wide-eyed at him on the chair beside his bed, "Baekhyun! How are you feeling?"

My face feels numb. My whole body feels numb. The lights are too bright.

"Baekhyun, what happened?"

The young man attemped to rewind back his memory. "My phone died," he said. "I was trying to call you, but I accidentally called Joonmyun."

His mother sighed with a shake of her head, "No, Baekhyun. I meant, how did you end up like this?" She gestured to Baekhyun's body.

"I was walking home from Joonmyun's place and these guys attacked me," the raven-haired boy replied, feeling weak and upset. "But it wasn't wrong place, wrong time. They were looking for me. They made sure of who I was before they slammed me against the wall."

"Do you remember their faces?"

Baekhyun sadly shook his head, "Their faces were covered. Would you attack someone without any protection against your identity? I thought...I thought I was going to die..." The young male broke into tears, his sobs wrenching his mother's heart. A nurse came over and gently touched Baekhyun, whispering something into his ear. Baekhyun whispered something back and the doctor nodded.

Standing straight and tall, the nurse glanced at Mrs. Byun and the others. With a small smile, he indicated his patient, "Baekhyun says he would like to be alone." Reluctantly Mrs. Byun the others filed outside, leaving Baekhyun alone in the large white room.

Mr. Byun embraced his wife, softly holding her against him as she broke into sobs. Baekbeom's court trial was in two days. Too many things were happening and they couldn't catch up. "He will be fine, sweetheart," Mr. Byun whispered. "He will be fine. They will be fine."

"Baekbeom can't find out about Baekhyun."

---

The news of Baekhyun relayed onto his friends and his teachers, eventually circulating around the whole high school. When the raven-haired high schooler didn't show up to class Thursday morning, no one was surprised. Some expressed their worries and concerns, others claimed to worry, and then there were those that could care less.

In class, Jongdae couldn't help but stare at the empty seats in front of him. Both Chanyeol and Baekhyun were absent; Chanyeol was still suspended and Baekhyun was in the hospital. At lunch, he sat with Joonmyun and Kyungsoo at their usual table because Yoonmi was at the library studying with her friend for a test. The three young men barely exchanged words, instead they ate in silence and thought about what was happening around them.

"Do you think we can visit him tonight?" Jongdae broke the silence.

"Most likely not. He hasn't allowed any visitors, not even his own parents," Joonmyun replied, taking a sip from his water bottle.

"Stop drinking, damn it," Kyungsoo attempted to reach for the bottle. "What's with you lately? Are you trying to drown yourself in alcohol?"

Jongdae raised a brow, "Alcohol?" He eyed the water bottle in Joonmyun's hand before finally understanding. "Wow, Joonmyun, are you serious? At school?"

"I can't help it," the third year said, "I've been feeling like lately."

"Care to elaborate?"

"Well, for one, Baekhyun wouldn't be in the hospital if I had just driven him home."

As the three separated to resume their classes, Jongdae couldn't stop thinking of his friends. Chanyeol had been suspended for pulling the fire alarm, Baekhyun was in the hospital after being assaulted, Joonmyun was drinking because he was depressed, and Kyungsoo was being too suspicious of everything and everybody. How did everything suddenly turned upside-down? Jongdae was afraid for what the future held.

After school, he and the others attempted to visit Baekhyun, but they were turned away as Joonmyun had predicted. Chanyeol ruffled his hair in frustration, "Ugh! Baekhyun shouldn't be alone in a time like this! Baekbeom is going to court tomorrow, but Baekhyun didn't even want to talk to him. He doesn't even want to know what will happen to Baekbeom."

"How do you know?" Kyungsoo asked.

"I got to see him for about three minutes before you guys arrived. He shouted all those things at me before sending me out. You guys are attending the court session?"

"We can't," Joonmyun sighed, "but you can, right? You don't come back to school until Monday anyway. You'll text us the details right?"

"I wish I could," Chanyeol groaned, retrieving his phone from his pocket. "This baby can't text."

The three sighed in dismay. With a small frown, Joonmyun said, "Tell us after school then. Or even at lunch if it ends early. We'll meet you out back near the soccer field."

---

Overnight, Baekbeom had decided he could no longer place Baekhyun in harm's way. Obviously, the ones who assaulted his brother knew Baekhyun was his weakness. If so, they also knew his other weakness and Baekbeom would burn the planet before anyone touched her. Closing his eyes, Baekbeom prayed she disobeyed his words. Everything was falling out of place and she was one of the people who could help set things right, at least with his family.

The door opened and Lawyer Kim entered, followed by Detective Cho who carried in two cups of coffee. After setting the drinks down, Detective Cho disappeared, not even sparing Baekbeom a glance.

Perhaps he spoke to Yonghwa?

Before Lawyer Kim could sit down, Baekbeom stood up, "I have something to say."

"Please speak your mind."

"I want to plead guilty."

Lawyer Kim's tongue was tied as he stared back at the man. Baekbeom was serious, nothing in his eyes or posture indicated he was joking. "Why? Don't take the blame for someone else, Baekbeom."

"I'm not. I did it."

"Stop playing around, this is a serious matter."

"I am serious," Baekbeom approached Lawyer Kim. "You are my defense lawyer, you should be on my side."

"Baekbeom, what are you-"

"Right now, I'm pleading guilty quietly. If you keep resisting, I will scream those three words until my lungs burn."

"Tell me why, then," Lawyer Kim replied. "Why did you burn the school? What was your motivation? I also want to know why you acted so defiant for the past few days and why you suddenly pleaded guilty now." As soon as those words left Lawyer Kim's mouth, Baekbeom's eyes flickered away for a brief second, his fingertips subconsciously brushing his left wrist. And Mr. Kim realized why.

It was because of Baekhyun. Somehow, Baekbeom found out about his little brother.

"What did you use to burn the school?" Lawyer Kim pressed on. He wanted to dissect every little detail he could get from Baekbeom, whom he believed was not the arsonist. Baekbeom panicked slightly.

Eventually, the younger man reached for one of the cups on the table and with a quick jerk of the wrist, spilled the coffee on the lawyer's chest. Mr. Kim howled in pain as he jumped back, quickly pulling his shirt away from his skin. The door opened and a couple of security officers entered. The young man set empty cup down, wiping his hand on his pants. One of the officers addressed the laywer, "What happened?"

But it was Baekbeom who spoke next, locking gazes with his laywer, "Do you also want to know why I just did that? It's because I'm clumsy, my apologies. Regarding the cannon of questions you launched at me, I will say this: it's because something of mine was broken. I thought it would repair itself or somehow mend, but after awhile, something else of mine was broken and I just don't know what to do anymore."

"Fine," Laywer Kim growled under his breath. To the security officers, he barked, "Place Byun Baekbeom in his cell. I will get back to him later."

I'm sorry, everyone.

In the end, there was no court hearing. Byun Baekbeom had pleaded guilty and that was it. Through much confusion and anger, Baekbeom was sentenced with a fine of 200 million won and 15 years in prison. It took less than half an hour for the news to be reported, but it only took a second for hearts to break.