Weakness

Free of Charge

Chapter Six: Weakness

weakness: a personal defect or failing

~*~

Cute -- the first word that popped into Jongdae's mind when he was formally introduced to Kwon Yoonmi. She had a shy smile that reached up to her eyes. Her brown hair was cropped short to her shoulders, her bangs held up by a hair clip. Baekhyun made the two sit together at a vacant table before taking off. Awkward -- the second word that popped into Jongdae's mind. The boy felt too shy and nervous to start the conversation and the girl felt the same. Since he figured he was the guy, he should say something, so he said the first thing that he could think of, "Did you eat lunch yet?"

Yoonmi nodded, "Did you?"

"Uhh... actually I didn't. I wasn't hungry today so I decided to skip."

She frowned, "It wasn't because of me, was it?"

The brunet gave a serious nod, "It is your fault. I was too excited to meet you. Don't worry, I'm not disappointed." He grinned to show he was joking. Yoonmi understood and laughed -- sweet and soft.

---

"Who is she?" Kyungsoo whispered to Baekhyun.

Baekhyun simply smiled, "Jongdae's future girlfriend. Hopefully."

Chanyeol pursed his lips, "Was this his request?" He doubted it was as simple as that, considering Baekhyun and Jongdae had two sleepovers just last weekend. He glanced at Baekhyun, "What have you and Jongdae been up to for the past couple of days?"

"Why are you asking me about that?" Baekhyun responded with a blank face. With a smile he batted his eyelashes and clasped his hands together under his chin, "Are you jealous, Yeollie? You feel intimidated by big bad Kim Jongdae?"

"No," Chanyeol grinned, "not anymore since he has Yoonmi." For some odd reason, his best friend's statement sent a small prick to his heart; it was jealousy. He glanced over at Jongdae, "Do you think he needs help?"

Kyungsoo was the only one who laughed at Chanyeol's comment. After calming down he said, "You should, Chanyeol. Help him set up a date because I'm sure he will end up thinking something lame."

Baekhyun nodded in silence, diverting his eyes away from Jongdae and Yoonmi. Half of him hoped the two would click and Jongdae would no longer need his assistance. The other half wasn't sure what to think. He actually liked having Jongdae around. Hanging out with old friends got tiresome.

His eyes landed on the empty space where Joonmyun was supposed to sit. The third year didn't show up to school, which Baekhyun found odd. Joonmyun always made an effort to attend school. More than once, he was forced to go home. Baekhyun began to think it was Joonmyun's parents who forced him to come to school, but his parents weren't like that, at least not from what Baekhyun saw. The raven-haired high schooler sighed and rested his head over his arms that were folded over the surface of the lunch table. He was tired. He wanted to see Baekbeom.

"Are you okay, Baekhyun?" Chanyeol's deep voice asked as a hand gently touched Baekhyun's shoulder.

His eyes closed, Baekhyun replied, "Don't touch me, Chanyeol. You used the same hand to hold that thing, don't touch me with it."

A dark expression crossed the tall brunet's face. Sitting across from him, Kyungsoo noticed, but before he could stop Chanyeol from saying whatever he planned to, Chanyeol snapped at Baekhyun, "Why are you being like this?!"

Startled, Baekhyun slowly sat up, facing Chanyeol with a puzzled expression, "Like what?"

Chanyeol released an exasperated sigh, "Jaehwa. Why are you always ing about her? What did my girlfriend ever do to you?"

Instead of replying, Baekhyun got up and left. He was never going to tell anyone what happened between him and Jaehwa. No one needed to know their business.

---

The moment Jongdae sat down, Chanyeol turned around and grinned at him, "So Jongdae. Have you any plans on a date with your new girlfriend?"

Cheeks flushed, Jongdae shook his head. He honestly had forgotten about setting up a date. "What do people do on dates? Should we go to the park or something?"

"Take her to my father's cafe," Chanyeol instantly replied. "Make sure to bring money, you're the one paying for the date."

The brunet pursed his lips, "And where exactly is that at? You can't just expect me to know where it is, I didn't even know your father owned a cafe." Chanyeol gave him the address and the directions before the teacher arrived and class began. Both of the brunets frowned at the empty seat that was Baekhyun's. Where had their raven-haired friend gone?

Damn, I have to pee.

---

In the boy's restroom, Baekhyun stood in the restroom stall, stealing a quick peek through the crack. He knew class was starting, but he also knew the guy who stood outside waiting for him was a erted big- jerk. He bit his tongue and attempted to keep his hands from trembling.

The guy knocked on the stall door, "Come on, you can't stay in there all day."

"I said no," Baekhyun stated firmly. "No means no."

I don't need this crap, I already have too much on my plate.

He jumped back when the other guy kicked the door. "Come out!"

, what do I do? Nothing's going to pierce through his thick skull.

Baekhyun flinched as the door finally kicked open and the young man forced his way in, shutting the door behind him with a smirk, "There's no way you're getting out until you grant my wish, Mr. Well."

With a gulp, Baekhyun complied, "F-Fine. I'll do it." He extended his hand and the two shook on the deal. The brunet held onto Baekhyun's hand far longer than he would deem necessary, but the raven-haired male remained quiet.

"It's nice that I know your weakness, hmm?" the student smirked before stepping out. With one last glance at Baekhyun, he said, "You better do it, or else."

The raven-haired male was left alone in the bathroom with his heart threatening to burst and tears wanting to fall. His brother was in the middle of an arsonal crime and now...

What if I back out? This request is not reasonable. I'm going to get killed for this.

Baekhyun was slowly walking in the hallway, contemplating whether or not he would do it. Stopping before one of the switches on the wall, Baekhyun hesitated, his fingertips brushing along it. He wet his lips and lowered his arm. He couldn't do it.

Suddenly, the sound of the school fire alarm blared in his ears. Wide-eyed and gasping, Baekhyun stepped back, his heart pounding against his chest. The hallways became crowded as students and teachers alike flooded out their classrooms. Baekhyun followed the crowd, slipping right in without anyone noticing.

Did I just get saved by a real fire?

---

After the false fire alarm was cleared, the students were ushered back to class, with the exceptions of the ones absent from class during the time the fire alarm was pulled. Baekhyun, of course, was one of them. What surprised him was seeing his best friend. What shocked him even more was his best friend's immediate confession that it was him. The principal of Sooha dismissed Baekhyun and the others so he could speak with Chanyeol alone.

While heading back to class, Baekhyun couldn't stop worrying about Chanyeol. Did he really do it? Why? Upon entering his classroom, his peers eyed him like hawks as he down the aisle to his seat. The other students tore their gaze away and resumed listening to the teacher.

Jongdae tapped the raven-haired male on side and handed him a crumpled piece of paper. Baekhyun wrote his response and returned it. The brunet would be as clueless and curious as the others until the five-minute break came. And when it did, everyone immediately turned to Baekhyun. He refused to address the whole class about the fire alarm incident. He wasn't going to gossip about his best friend behind his back, even if the others already had their own ideas formed. So he wrote on a piece of paper and gave it to Jongdae.

He said he did it. I don't know why. I will ask later.

---

He got in the car first, refusing to answer his parents when they questioned him afterward on the drive home. His mother sighed, "Chanyeol, please. I know you wouldn't do it for just any reason. Tell us why you pulled the fire alarm. You were fined with 750 million won for that stunt you pulled, not to mention the thirty hours of community service and the week of suspension."

His mother's plea for an answer tugged at his heart. He hated when his parents were overly worried about him and began treating him like a child, which he felt they were doing at the moment. Chanyeol replied, "I did it for my own reasons, okay? I will use my own money and while I am suspended I will work on my community service. Stop worrying about me.

"Did someone put you up to it?" Mr. Park glanced in the rearview mirror.

Chanyeol groaned and rubbed his temples, "No, Dad. I already told you-"

"You told us your plans for the week, not the reason you pulled the damn fire alarm," Mrs. Park snapped, angry and upset at her son for his actions.

"Why you did it, we will keep it confidential, Chanyeol," Mr. Park added. "We just want to know why."

Chanyeol gazed out the window, watching as they passed trees and other cars. Sighing softly, he finally said, "I did it for a friend."

"Excuse me?" his parents replied simultaneously.

"It's not like that," Chanyeol immediately went on the defense. He clutched onto his seat belt with one hand, the other resting on his thigh. "I was just... can't you just trust me on this?"

His parents glanced at one another before giving up. Their son had yet to cause them to distrust him, why would he start now? "Okay, Chanyeol, but just this once. You are going to have to give up your phone, you know that right?"

Chanyeol winced. He was going to trade his smart phone for the old flip phone. It was a tradition his parents had begun, starting with Yura. Whenever the Park children lost their phone privileges, their current phones were taken while they were given old flip phones that were only made for calling. There wasn't even an option to text or take photos. He nodded absent-mindedly, "I know that."

It's better than having no phone at all.

---

Lying on his bed with bloodshot eyes and an empty liquor bottle in one hand, Joonmyun was unresponsive to the knock at his bedroom door, followed by a, "Joonmyun, dinner will be ready in about an hour, okay? Groom yourself well, a lovely guest will be joining us."

The bottle fell out his hand, landing with a thud on the floor. He released a shuddering sigh and squeezed his eyes shut. Who could his parents have invited that evening? A young woman they hope will become their future daughter-in-law? Good, then. He was drunk off his , it should be enough to drive the poor guest away no matter how well-groomed he was.

He had skipped school that day and locked himself in his room, surviving off the junk food he had stored in there. He didn't plan to skip school, but after receiving a call from his brother late last night, he decided to just sleep in that morning. His brother had asked him about the cloud keychain. Just the mere mention of the trinket struck a chord and Joonmyun nearly threw up his heart in repulsion. Joonmyun's raindrop keychain was missing too, and he barely remembered where the keychains ended up.

No, I remember where we placed them, but I can't remember what happened to them afterwards.

Joonmyun headed to the bathtub and began filling it with hot water. Once he stepped in and sat back, he closed his eyes and dozed off.

---

Realization dawned on Baekhyun and he tried Chanyeol's second phone. Yet again, he was sent to voicemail. Giving up, he walked downstairs for something to eat. His mother was returning later that evening and his father had left to work, leaving Baekhyun at home alone. He had yet to receive news regarding his brother. His mother was always gone and if she were home, she was asleep in her bedroom. His father was on the same boat of anxiety as him.

His phone suddenly rang, but instead of the deep voice of Park Chanyeol, he was greeted by Kim Joonmyun whose words were slurred and difficult to comprehend. Flustered from trying to understand, Baekhyun snapped at his friend, "Damn it, Joonmyun! You're drunk, do you expect to know what you're saying?"

Joonmyun became agitated that his stupid friend couldn't understand what he was saying and began cursing at him in various languages he picked up throughout his stressful life. Finally, he paused and said as carefully as he could, "I need a favor, Baekhyun."

"What is it?"

"I need you to drive my date away."

Baekhyun snorted, "You can just do that yourself in your drunken state." He put the phone on speaker and began to pull out food from the fridge. "Give her a chance, you might actually like her."

"No!"

The younger male pursed his lips at Joonmyun's tone, "Sorry if I offended you, damn. You get so moody and emotional when you're drunk. It's not good to keep everything inside all the time, it's going to be the death of you."

"I already have someone."

Baekhyun paused for a brief second before rolling his eyes, "Yeah, Joonmyun. I'm sure you do."

Joonmyun growled into the speaker, "I do, damn it! Why do you think I'm so against all these stupid dates?"

"Oh, okay," Baekhyun replied, still not believing the drunk's words. "What's her name then?"

"It's not a her."

"Oh, so you have-"

The phone line abruptly disconnected before Baekhyun would finish his sentence. He shrugged it off and played some music while he made dinner.

~

"Have you two gone out on a date outside of school yet?" Baekhyun asked the brunet.

Jongdae blinked a couple of times before responding, "Actually, tonight we're going to Chanyeol's father's cafe."

"Oh, how boring," Baekhyun pursed his lips. "But I guess it's okay since it's just the first date." Jongdae rolled his eyes and gestured for Baekhyun to turn around in his seat. Without Chanyeol to talk to, Baekhyun had gotten lonely and sought for company with his new friend, but it seemed that friend always dismissed him away.

After about a minute, Baekhyun ended up turning back around to talk to Jongdae, "Do you two like each other? Will you be a successful couple?"

Jongdae kicked the raven-haired student's desk, "Stop sticking your nose in our business. We just met on Thursday, it hasn't even been a week."

"You always bug me about Jaehwa and I can't bug you about Yoonmi? The girl I helped set you up with? Besides, the whole point of introducing you to Yoonmi on Thursday was so you two could go out on Friday or the weekend. Weird how you wait until Monday night. I'm surprised she hasn't dumped your sorry ."

"Shut up, the teacher's coming in," Jongdae replied and Baekhyun finally left him alone.

When they were dismissed for lunch, Jongdae left first to meet up with Yoonmi. Baekhyun barely stepped outside his classroom when the guy from last time snatched him by the arm and dragged him away. It wasn't until the two were in an isolated area that they stopped and the male student narrowed his eyes at the Well, "You didn't keep your end of the deal. You know what that means, don't you?"

Before the the raven-haired student could reply, the other made a fist and struck him in the stomach. Groaning in pain, Baekhyun doubled over, only to receive another strike against his jaw. Before another blow could land, a voice shouted across the field and Baekhyun's assailant disappeared.

"Baekhyun! Are you okay?" Chanyeol pulled up the shorter male.

"What the... what are you doing here?" Baekhyun asked as one hand lightly pressed against his stomach and the other caressed his jaw. "I thought you were suspended."

"I'm doing community service just across the street. I saw you being dragged out here and knew something was wrong," Chanyeol replied. He gently inspected his friend's face, "I think you're going to get a bruise."

Baekhyun softly pushed Chanyeol away from him, "I'll survive."

Before the shorter male could leave, the tall brunet snagged his arm, "That was him, wasn't it? The one who ordered you to pull the fire alarm."

How did he know?

Baekhyun gasped in realization, "You were listening the whole time! That's why you pulled it! Why Park Chanyeol? You don't intervene in my job."

"I was helping my best friend out," Chanyeol replied, upset at Baekhyun's outlash.

The raven-haired male weakly punched the tall brunet on the shoulder, "I didn't ask your help. Next time don't act so impulsively, idiot. Don't jump into a sinking boat when you don't have a life vest."

"What the hell does that even mean, Baekhyun?" the brunet asked but quickly shook his head. "No, nevermind, forget it. I have to get back to work."

Baekhyun waited until his friend walked several meters away before uttering a quiet, "Thank you." A small smile danced on Chanyeol's lips.

I'm going to make that bastard pay.

---

Jongdae sat down across from Yoonmi with a nervous chuckle, "So, our first date is at a cafe." He honestly had no idea what to say and what he did just say, he wish he could take it back. How stupid could he be?

Yoonmi smiled at him, "And we get a discount because of Chanyeol." The smile dissipated his worries. Yoonmi wasn't going to judge him for being stupid, she was probably as nervous as himself.

A young waitor with bright smile appeared before the couple with two small menus and a mini notepad, "Good evening, my name is Kim Minseok and I will be serving you today." He caught sight of his boss' tall son standing outside with a grin.

Chanyeol was grinning at the new couple sitting across from another. Waving goodbye to the couple and Minseok, he checked the time on his phone and scurried over to the PC bang where he would find his target.

He was just a couple of seconds from missing his target. Chanyeol picked up his pace as he trailed behind the young man several meters ahead of him. Keeping his head up to divert suspicion, Chanyeol's hands were balled into fists inside the pouch of his hoodie. Once the young man turned around the corner and disappeared from sight, Chanyeol started into a jog.

But when Chanyeol reached the corner, his target was gone.

Damn it, where did he go?

Chanyeol continued walking down the pathway until he spotted an alleyway. After a brief moment of hesitation, he resumed forward with caution. His excellent hearing allowed him to block a punch; his quick reflexes to strike his assailant.

A smirk appeared when he realized it was Raehyuk. The one he was looking for.

Raehyuk sneered at the seething male who threatened to deliver another punch, "What are you? Baekhyun's bodyguard?"

"Shut up," Chanyeol shoved him against the wall, grasping tightly onto the other's shirt collar. After a brief glare, Chanyeol asked, "Why did you make Baekhyun do it? Why did you ask him to pull the fire alarm and what the hell were you talking about a weakness?"

Raehyuk responded with hoarse laughter, "If you want to know so bad, why don't you ask him yourself?" Raehyuk caught the flicker of doubt in Chanyeol's eyes and a smirk crawled its way out, "If you're curious about his weakness, why don't you ask your girlfriend? She introduced me to Baekhyun many years ago, it's only now I get to be in the same school as the famous Well."

"You know Jaehwa?" Chanyeol was caught off guard. She introduced them? When?

"You should have seen his face when I walked in the restroom," Raehyuk continued as he recalled the fateful moment he and Byun Baekhyun were alone. The raven-haired high schooler had just opened the stall door when he saw Raehyuk. He had turned ridiculously pale before he slammed the stall door shut. But by then, Raehyuk had already recognized the raven-haired student as Byun Baekhyun.

The smirk on the shorter male sent unexplainable hatred coursing throughout Chanyeol's veins. With one hand, he reached into his pocket for his flip phone, tightly gripping it in the palm of his hand. Raehyuk noticed the action, attempting to see what Chanyeol was up to. Bringing his hand out, Chanyeol struck Raehyuk's nose with the of his phone, "Stay away from Baekhyun, you ." The noise that emitted from Raehyuk elated Chanyeol's chest. The tall brunet released him and walked away, gently his phone, "I'm so sorry you had to touch him, but Daddy's really proud of you."

---

Lawyer Kim cleared his throat to gain Baekbeom's attention, "Mr. Byun?"

"I told you to just call me Baekbeom," the young man sighed. "What is it?"

"Do you know a Gu Minkyu?"

The name brought a sick feeling to his stomach. He suddenly lost his appetite and pushed the bowl of rice and chicken away from him. Glancing up at his lawyer, Baekbeom asked, "What about him?"

"I take you two don't get along," Lawyer Kim sighed, rubbing his eyelids with a forefinger and thumb. "He was another suspect. Your mother found a ring that belonged to him at Yoonkyu."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Because I know that bastard, too. Unlike you, he talked his way out. They just verified he was at home so they're taking him off the prime suspect list."

Total bull.

"Let's just say the burning of the school wasn't me, but a whole group of us. How will they determine that?"

Lawyer Kim flashed Baekbeom a puzzled expression, "What are you trying to say, Baekbeom?"

"I honestly don't know who did it, but I am for certain it was not me," Baekbeom stated firmly for the hundredth time. "It seems everyone is focused on me, just because I refused to say anything. My refusal automatically meant I was guilty."

"Generally, if you did not commit the crime, you blatantly say so. You don't keep it in. It makes others suspicious." He diverted his attention away from his client to the wall he was leaning against.

Do I tell him?

"What's with your expression?"

Lawyer Kim sighed softly, "It's not just the watch, Baekbeom," At the young man's furrowed brows and pursed lips, he continued, "They found blood on a jacket of yours. They have been testing for the DNA."

"My jacket? How do you know if it's mine...?" Baekhyun paused, wanting to stab himself. How did he completely forgot about his jacket?

"It has your name on it, Baekbeom, I'm sure you are aware of that. Now tell me," Lawyer Kim knelt down and beckoned Baekbeom nearer to him, "when was the last time you went to Yoonkyu High School? Withholding essential information from me, your defense attorney seems like a risky business as of right now."

Baekbeom released a shuddering sigh. "I haven't been to Yoonkyu since my graduation. It may be my jacket, but it was not me. It won't be my blood either, I'm certain of that."

"Did you lend to someone, perhaps?"

"No."

"Then explain."

"It's probably another Byun Baekbeom."

"Baekbeom, take this seriously. Your future is on the line."

"Fine. I was there. I was at Yoonkyu."

The things I do for you people, damn me to hell.

Prosecutor Do narrowed his eyes. He wasn't buying it. "Either way -- your blood or someone else's -- you will be questioned about it. They plan to hold the first court trial at the end of this week or sometime next week. Be prepared. And leave the talking to me, I can buy us some time and hopefully adjourn the court session until a later date. The blood on the jacket will be a key evidence in the investigation."

 



I hope by now you realize I sometimes purposefully make the thoughts ambiguous (if that's the right word). It could be his thoughts, or it could be the other's, or it could even be both :)