Seven

Senior Year

After the game was over, Taemin and I accompany Jonghyun going home. My manager duties are temporarily shouldered by Minho, Minhwan, Joon and Yonghwa. I just really need to check Jonghyun's condition and make sure he goes to the doctor tomorrow to look at his ankle. Luckily, the morning classes tomorrow are cancelled due to emergency teacher's meeting with the Board of Council.

At Jonghyun's house (living room):

"We need to consult a doctor about your ankle. For now, we'll do necessary first aid procedures to lessen the pain."

And so after washing Jonghyun's feet and ankle with soap and warm water, I apply a medicinal ointment and bandages the feet and ankle.


"Thank you Jinki. And sorry for the trouble. My mom is on the her way home so you should be going now. It's late. I'll be just fine."

"Ehem! I'm still here in case you forgot."

"Haha. Of course not, Taemin. Thank you for the lift and sorry for the trouble, as well."

"No, hyung. It doesn't matter."

 

"Hey guys. Sorry if I can't offer you any food. My mom only buys dinner so we don't cook."

"It's okay Jonghyun."

"Don't worry about it, Jonghyun-hyung."


"Well, I guess, we should be going now. See you tomorrow, Jonghyun. I'll just pick you up."

"I can let you borrow my car!" Taemin offered. I look at him and he winks secretly at me.

"Okay. Tomorrow then," Jonghyun said.


"Yeah. Bye."

"Hm. Bye."


He smiles at me and once again, I'm melting in his gaze. We stayed like that for a moment when we suddenly heard a sound of door opening.


A very beautiful and refined woman wearing simple yet elegant dress comes in.


"Mom. You're home." I hear Jonghyun said.

Taemin and I immediately bow and greet his mother.


"Good evening, Ma'am."

"Good evening to you too. Thank you for taking good care of my son."

"You're welcome, Ma'am."

 

When we got home, I am completely exhausted. I did a lot of first times today. I accidentally fell asleep. I skipped morning classes.  I lied to Kibum.

Many things have happened and I can't control my emotions as well. This is all new to me.. And this is all because of Jonghyun. Even when we are having dinner,
I would only think of Jonghyun. We'll see each other again tomorrow. I can't help but feel excitement and happiness.

 

Oh. Please. Stop it, Lee Jinki.


You're going with him to the doctor as his manager. You're just doing your job. This is definitely not a date like what's you're thinking.


I can only sigh. Whatever happens tomorrow, I'll just let tomorrow  decides.

 


There's a knock on my bedroom door.

"Hyungie? Can I come in?"

"Sure, baby."

I tap the space beside me motioning him to sit.


He sits down and hugs me by the waist.


"What's wrong baby?"

"Hyung... Are you disappointed at me?"

"Huh? No baby. Why?"

"Because I missed the shot..."

"Minnieee... Hey baby.. You're still thinking about that?"

He hugs me tighter as a reply.


"Taemin.. Look at me."


I lift his chin to force him to look me in the eyes.


"Jinki-hyung is very proud of you."


I could see Taemin's eyes water.

"Thank you, hyung... For everything."


I ruffle his hair.


"Hyung. Can I sleep with you tonight?"

"Sure, baby. You're always welcome."


Then he immediately goes back to his room. When he gets back, he has his favorite big teddy bear.
I believe it is given to him by Kibum on his birthday.


He lies to the bed while hugging his big teddy bear. I lie down and hug him from his back and softly hum a song I always sing for him when he is still a toddler.


No matter how much Taemin ages, he still my baby brother. He is still the same baby whose hands I held when he is frightened, who cries when I am not beside him and
who I love and care the most in the whole world. He is my baby. Even if his hair is completely white or he is bald, even if he only has a few teeth, even if he can't stand and walk properly anymore, and
even if he doesn't need me anymore. He is still my baby brother.

 


I am almost sleeping when my phone rings.


I check on Taemin to see if he was awaken. Fortunately, he is dead to the world.


I pick up my phone but I slowly get up and go out of the room so I won't be able to wake Taemin up.


"Hello. Jinki here."


"Hey. Buddy."


"Kibum? Why are you calling so late?"


"Well, I just remembered that I need to tell you my hypothesis about today's happenings. You know, things like you skipping in morning classes and the headphone round your neck, the basketball team, and well....
to make it short.... Kim Jonghyun. 3rd year high school student at SW University. Point Guard and Vice Captain of basketball team. Knows how to play lots of instruments, writing lyrics and composing. Lives with mother and one sister."


"Wh-What are you talking about Kibum? And h-how did you even know those details?"

"Oh please, Jinx. You know exactly what I am talking about and I have my ways to know. I am Kim Kibum, in case you have forgotten."

"K-kibum... I..."

"Since it's really late and I'm really sleepy, I'll cut to the chase and tell you my conclusion. That you, Lee Jinki, 3rd year straight-A student of SW, has fallen in love with Kim Jonghyun."

"What are you.."

"Oh please, Lee Jinki. Don't even try to deny it. I know. And I want to say that I'm happy for you. Welcome to the real world."

"B-bummie-yah..."


"But Jinx, as a bestfriend, I must say this. You are one of the most important persons in my life so I don't want you to get hurt. So, as a bestfriend, I need you to remember this.
Once you fall, it's inevitable to get hurt. You'll always get hurt. Because everything that fall... hurts. I hope you know the consequence of this, Jinx."

 

 


"I know."


"And I am proud of you. Whatever happens Jinx, always remember that I'm just two steps behind you."

"Eew, Kibum. Is that a song lyrics? But thank you. Really."

"Haha. Good night"

"Hm. Good night."

"Say 'Good night' to baby Taem for me. And tell him that 'Kibum-hyung is impressed'."

"Sure. I'll tell him tomorrow. He's asleep."

"K. Bye, Jinx. See you tomorrow."

"Bye Bummie."

 


The next morning, I wake up really early to prepare breakfast for Taemin and I. Taemin is still sleeping in my room.

After that, I did my morning routine and did not forget to eat breakfast. I would not want to make Taemin worry for me again.

 


Then after an hour and a half, I am driving my way to Jonghyun's house.


And once again. I can't explain what I am feeling. It's a mixture of excitement, aspiration and happiness. As I rang the doorbell, I remember my conversation with Kibum last night.

I know the consequence. But if he wouldn't know, nothing will change. And I won't get hurt.


.
.
Right??

 

The gate opens and a very beautiful woman appeared in the doorway. She looks younger than Jonghyun's mother. No, she is definitely younger than his mother but she looks so much like Jonghyun.
It's as if she is Jonghyun, just the female version.


"Hi. Good morning, cutieee! How may I help you?"


Wow. She's so cheerful early in the morning.


"G-good morning. I've come to fetch...." Someone's shout stop me from saying whatever I would say.


"Noona!!!"


Behind the woman, Jonghyun walks quickly towards us with clutches under his armpit.


"I told you I'm going to get it cause it's mine."

"Hey, relax. Relax, Jjongie."

"Aish, noona. Stop calling me that in front of other people."

"Okay. Okay. Haha. My bad."


"Let's go, Jinki."

"Oooohh! So, you're their manager."

"A-ah, yes."

"Wow. You're such a cutie. I'm so glad to finally meet you!"

"U-uhm.."

"Noona!" Don't harrass Jinki in front of me. We'll be going."

Then he kisses his noona's cheek.

 

But before Jonghyun and I could enter the car, his noona called out.

"Oh! Jinki-yah, please take care of of my baby brother for me. Take care, you two! Enjoy!"


"Aish! Noona!" Jonghyun hissed at his sister then banging the car's door when he entered.

I bowed to her and ride the car too.

 

As I was turning on a curve to get to the main road, Jonghyun speaks.

"Sorry about my noona. She just likes 'cutesy' things, she said."

"It's okay. I understand. I am also like that to Ta..   I mean...  m-my baby brother."

"Waahh! You have a baby brother?"


"A-ahh.. Y-yes."

"Ooohh. He must be cute too."

"H-he's cuter, I guess."

 

"Hmmm. I doubt it though."

"Huh?"

"Nothing."


He smirked. But I just let him be. And concentrate and control my racing heart. I wish that I'm not so obvious.


We arrived at the doctor's clinic. I am fidgeting in my seat while waiting for Jonghyun's turn. I just really really wish he does not notice it.

 

Fortunately, Jonghyun is a very talkative man and it allows me to relax a little. I also take the chance to look at him more closely.. longer.


Damn..


Oh my God. Did I curse?

 

But Jonghyun is one hell of a beautiful man. Only the blind can't see and the stupid can't appreciate.


However, as time passes and we're together, I am starting to like not only his physical traits. I realized that he is a very
sensitive man. He lives with his principle in life and with dignity and honesty. He loves his mother and sister so very much
that made me, I don't know, feel warm inside, I guess.

 

Jonghyun's name is called and we entered the doctor's office. After examining his ankle and upto his legs, the doctor said that
there is nothing to worry about.


"This is just a minor injury. All it needs is a week-long rest and medication. After that, you can play again as if no injury occured."


"Really, Doc?"

"Yes, Jonghyun. But please take the medicines well and don't put too much pressure on your feet."


"Okay, Doctor. No problem."

"Here.. I'll give you both one copy of the medication sheet so there would be someone to check on Jonghyun from time to time. Is that alright, Manager?"

"Yes, Doctor. It would be a great help."


"Great."

 

While purchasing the medicines, some pain killers and bandages.

"Hey, Jinki. Since it's still a bit early, would you like to go out for a bit? There is a newly-opened ice cream parlor nearby.
I would really like to go there but I've been busy so I've got no time last week. I really want to try their ice cream flavor.
I heard it's the best!"


"Oh. O-okay, then. Since it's still early."

 

We arrive at the ice cream parlor.


"So, what would you get Jinki?"


"Uhm. Vanilla ice cream. It's my favorite."

"Ooh. I see. Please give us two orders of vanilla ice cream and bag of chips."


When the staff gives us our order, we sit at the table near the glass window.


I am in a middle of my ice cream when Jonghyun said, "Hey Jinki. Can you tell me something more about yourself?"


I am in a deep shock. I look at him with wide eyes but he just laughs.


"Hahaha. I didn't mean anything bad about it. It's just.. I always do the talking.. and I am not forcing you to tell me. You can
can-not tell me if you don'twant to.. Well. I guess.. I just made our situation awkward, right?"


"Hahahahaha!"

 

"Heeeeyyy. Why are you laughing at me?"


"Okay. You can ask me anything you want to know."


"Really?"

"Hm."

 

"Okay, so.. I'm just curious. How can you stay on top of our batch from freshman year until now?
I mean, how can you get a straight A?"


"Huh?"


"It's not...   Well.. It's just.. It's not because I don't do well in my studies but... I mean, what's your motivation?"


I fell completely silent. Of all the other questions that he can ask, why 'that'?


"Hey. I don't want to pressure you or anything. You can choose not to ---"

 

"My brother."

"-- answer...  H-huh?"


"My baby brother. He's my inspiration. Actually, my brother and I grew up in US but our parents are native Koreans and
we're speaking Korean at home so we're both fluent."


"I see."


"They.. our parents.. sent us back here in Korea for Tae.. I mean.. my brother and my safety. There are a lot of bullies there, that's why."


He smiled sympathetically at me. I smiled back.


"My brother... he didn't grow up with our parents.. and he misses them both always. He's the most important person in my life and I only
want what's best for him. I became his father and mother figure. He didn't experience the love of real parents unlike me. So, I study so hard
so when graduation came and I'm valedictorian then my parents would come home right? And they would see how much he's grown and
be proud of him. He would be very happy when that happens right?"


Jonghyun nodded.


"That's why. Being the valedictorian is very important for me. Or else, everything that I've worked hard for would be a waste. I need to work
hard for him because he's really working very hard."


Jonghyun places his hand over my free hand. I freeze at his touch.


"Don't worry Jinki. I believe you can do it. And I'm sure, your brother knows that you love him so much."


I can't help but smile.

"Jinki. You're a good brother. Your brother is lucky to have you."


I smiled at him. I'm thankful that I was able to tell this to other person besides Kibum.


After that, he just continously tell his funny stories with his sister and with the team.


He told me that despite his short figure, her sister's suitors are really scared of him. He said that he would always drive them away when they try to get  near her sister. He also told me the story about how the Coach would always scold the members for always being late or how they would always end up having extra classes so they would be allowed to play on games. He told me all of their mischiefs and misdoings, like how they would stick notes on the Coach's back or how he would joke around his Math teacher and how he sleeps in class but easily answers the teacher's questions when asked. He just told me all of his craziness which made me laugh out loud in the ice cream parlor.

 

All these time, I didn't notice that it has been an hour and a half since we arrive at the ice cream parlor. Time really just passes quickly when you're having so much fun.