Ten

Senior Year

Note:

Sorry. It's very badly written. Sorry if I disappoint you. Really really sorry.

 

_______

The next day. Though still sleepy, I force myself to wake up when my alarm went off. It is 5AM.

 

I went to school at around 6AM and I straightly go to the library. The library opens at 6AM when exam week is near. The classes start at 8AM so I still have a roughly 2 hours to advance study for the exams. Because of my manager duties and the preparations for the upcoming tournament, I need to balance my time wisely so my grades won't be affected too much.

 

However, as I turn the second page of my book, I feel sleepy again.. I try to fight my sleepiness away but because my body and mind won't cooperate, slowly I give up and just let sleep take over, thinking for 15 minutes only. Using my close book as a pillow, I surrender to my short nap.

 

 

Soon after, I woke up to a tingling sensation on my neck and roughly playing of my hair's strands. When I straightened my back to see, my eyes got wider in shock but I close them again, not believing what.. or who.. I saw.

 

I slowly open my eyes again and then he laughed and pinched my cheek. I blush and look down to hide it.

Gosh! How I wish the floor would open up and swallow me! It is so embarrassing! I hope I didn't drool. I touched my face to check.

 

"Hey. Sorry to startle you." Jonghyun said.

Still looking down at my close book on the table and unable to produce any audible and right sound, I just shake my head as a response.

 

As I made an effort to open my book again to read, Jonghyun lie his head on the table facing me. I try to concentrate but to no avail because he is looking at me, watching me. It's as if, we are the only ones existing in the library. For once in my life, I feel special because he is looking at me.

 

I just continue to read my book. After a while, I am engrossed in it that I forget about Jonghyun being beside me. So when I put down my book and look at him, I am surprised that he is sleeping. I look at my watch and it says 7:45. We still have 15 minutes. As I continue to look at his sleeping face, I am drowned by his perfect features again. How could someone be so handsome? I guess since it's Kim Jonghyun, it is possible.

 

I also lay my head on the table like Jonghyun facing him. I sigh. I can spend forever just looking at him like this. I am contented just to be able to see him and having to see him this close is a bonus.

 

My heart just jump out of my chest when I saw him opening his eyes. Not knowing what to do, I just grab my book and open it to whatever page and pretend to read. He's awake. But he doesn't talk. I swallow my saliva and persperation is evident on my forehead.

Did I get caught?

 

I saw his hand rise and feel it wiping my sweat.

"Jinx.." he said in his deep voice. "Do you read your book upside down?"

 

O__O

And I just realize that I am holding my book upside down. Because of total embarrassment, I just managed to grab my bag and book and just ran as fast and as far as possible from the library, away from Jonghyun. As I ran, I heard him laughing. I would actually laugh with him if I'm not in my position right now.

 

I can't look at him at the practice that night because I don't know what I would say. I might embarrass myself more so better not talk to him about it.

 

That night, Coach Lee announced that the game schedule draw is on Saturday. He called both Jonghyun and me.

"So, the draw is on Saturday. Basically, there are two representatives in each school. Normally, it is the Coach and the Captain. However, because of important separate matters of me and Minho, we can't come as the representatives. On Saturday, it is my and my wife's wedding anniversary so even if I would really want it, it is not possible. Minho has something important matter to attend to as well. I talked to him so.. in short, if both of you are free on Saturday... I would like to appoint you as our representatives. Would that be alright for both of you?"

"I'm okay with it." Jonghyun said. "How about you Jinx?"

"A-ahm. Y-yes."

"Good! That's very good to hear! We have no problem, then. I'm going to call the organizers to expect you. The event starts at 9AM sharp. Be there 30 minutes earlier. It usually ends at 12 noon. So, I expect you two to represent our school well, okay?"

 

 

And so, because of that, I am here in front of Jonghyun's house again with a cab waiting for us. I texted him that I arrived. Not 5 minutes later, Jonghyun went out of their gate. Looking so fresh and clean. And smells so good.

 

We arrive at the venue exactly 30 minutes before it starts. The venue is an auditorium of the host school. I help Jonghyun settle down since he's still using clutches though his injury is healing very well. When he is settled down, I went to the school's cafeteria to buy some food for both us. Unlike in our school, this school has classes until Saturday. So, when I was buying, the students kept looking at me.

 

"Here." I give Jonghyun his share of the food I bought.

"Thanks." He smiled. Again.

 

"Oooohh~ Look, who's here."

We both look at the person who spoke.

I saw two men looking at us. One is an old looking man at his late 40s and the other is a tall handsome upright man looking at around our age. The person who talked to us is the old man. I think, he's a Coach.

Seeing the two, Jonghyun tries standing up and I help him but the Coach said, "Nevermind the greeting, boy. You wouldn't want to stress your injury. The tournament hasn't started and yet you're injured. You just made sure of our win, young man. Hahahahaha!" And then the Coach walks away.

"What happened?" The other person asks.

Jonghyun just shrugged. "Don't push yourself too hard during practices. The actual games are more important."

"Yea."

"Hey! Nickhun! Hurry up! This is our seat!" The old man called him.

"So, see you at the tournament and best of luck for the draw today, Jonghyun. Tell Coach Lee and Minho that I say hi."

"Sure. Same to you too."

 

 

 

"Who are they?" I ask him because I'm curious. He leans closer to me as he whispers.

"The old man is Coach Han from Hottest University and the player is Nickhun. He's a great player as great as Minho. They're actually close friends."

"Hmm. I see. But I don't like the old man."

Jonghyun just chuckles.

 

After the draw, Jonghyun and I are extremely hungry because of the nerve wracking draws. I was the one who draw game schedule that's why I don't have any energy left. The fate of the team depends on my hands. But after I return to my seat, Jonghyun assures me that I'm lucky to gave pick those schedules.

 

While eating at a nearby restaurant, we just eat to our heart's content. We didn't even look up from our plate. By the time we finsih eating, we realize how hungry we are. Looking at each other, we laugh at each other.

"Hey~ Jinx. Wanna hang out a bit? Since it's still early."

I thought about it for a while then I texted Taemin "I'll be late."

"Sure. Let's go!"

 

 

We go to an amusement park. Since it's a weekend, we expect a great number of people. Nevertheless, this is still fun.

We tried catching fish, then put on cute hats and masks. I bought cute shades for both of us. We are laughing like crazy everytime. I never felt so happy and carefree before. We were just resting on a side bench when Jonghyun nudged my shoulder.

"Yah. Isn't that Kibum?" Then he uses his mouth to point towards the direction.

"Oh! It's really Kibum. What's he doing here?"

I prepare to stand to greet Kibum when I noticed his companion.

 

 

M-minho???!

 

 

"Minho?!" Jonghyun shockingly exclaimed.

We both look at each other. With knowing smile on both our faces.

"So, this is Minho's important matter, eh? More important than basketball. Hmm."

"I'll call Kibum and try to see what he'll do. Haha."

"You're bad Jinx! Haha."

 

But then I call Kibum, not releasing my gaze towards them. I saw him get his phone and a little panicky when he saw the register. Jonghyun laughs beside me noticing my friends' panic. I hold his arm to try stop him from laughing. I saw Kibum pick up.

"H-hi Jinki."

I stop myself from giggling. Jonghyun is controlling his laughter as much as he can but he'll burst any minute now.

"Hey, Bummie. What's the noise about? Where are you?"

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!" Jonghyun laughed out loud.

I nudged his legs. Minho might notice. Soon after I thought that, Minho looks at our direction. He clearly sees us based on his expression. He motioned to go to us but I made a sign like sshh.

"Uhm. Yea, Kibum. I'll hang up now. See you at school on Monday."

Then I end the call. I ignore Jonghyun's questioning eyes. I call Minho. He picks up in one second. 

I see Kibum holding his lower lip while looking at his phone in his hand. It's his mannerism whenever he's nervous.

 

"Hello?" Minho answers.

"Minho-yah, don't let Kibum see us. Please don't tell Kibum that you saw us. Since he didn't tell me about this means he still doesn't want to talk to me about this. I don't want to pressure him. Go to the opposite way so he would not notice us."

"O-okay, then."

"Minho-yah~"

"O-oh, hyung..."

 

 

"Please take care of Kibummie for me. And thank you."

 

Then I hang up the phone. And sees Minho nudging Kibum to the opposite direction without looking at us.

"Are you sure?" Jonghyun asks me.

"Hm-mm. I'm sure."

He smiled using that oh-so-beautiful-I-always-melt smile of his.

 

"Soooo, since it's still a bit early, why don't we try some rides?"

"Are you sure?"

"Hm-mm. I'm sure." He said, mimicking what I said earlier.

"But your injury.."

"YOLO, Jinx. Come on! It'll be fun!"

 

And so we tried so many rides I lost count. I shout to the nerve-wracking rides and I laughed hard at the sweet rides. We also bought sweet cotton candy after those rides and decided to take a some photos in a photo booth. We made funny poses and funny faces at first. But at the last frame, Jonghyun places an arm over my shoulder and makes a victory sign. I copied him and makes one too and smiled my widest and happiest. I never imagine myself having this so much fun. I wasn't able to do all these before and it's foreign to me. But it made me happy. Jonghyun's right. YOLO. I should not waste any single moment in my life.

 

 

At 5:30PM, we reach Jonghyun's house.

"Here we are." Jonghyun said. "Wow! I didn't notice it's kind of late but I had fun. It's always been fun when I'm with you."

"I had a lot of fun too. Thank you Jonghyun."

"We should do this again." He said.

I look at him. "I mean, when we both have time."

I smiled and said, "Sure!"

 

 

I don't know how long but we stare at each other far too long, it became awkward.

"Uhm, so I'm going now." I finally said. I turned to leave.

 

 

But a strong hand pulled me by my wrist and turned me. Now, I am facing Jonghyun. Our faces are so close. Eyes are locked, I could feel his breathing. He then slowly steal the remaining spaces between us as I close my eyes.

 

And it happens. He's kissing me. It was not a long kiss. Actually it was very brief. More of just meeting of our lips.

But a kiss, nonetheless. A very sweet kiss.

 

Once the kiss is over, awkwardness fills the air. So to save us both from embarrassment and the awkward situation,  hurriedly turn my back and run towards my house's direction.

 

When I got home, I was panting so hard. Taemin noticed me and immediately went panic.

"Hyung, are you okay?"

 

I don't look at him because I am still so flushed. I just manage a small nod and rushes to my room. I presses my back on the close door but eventually slide down to sit on the floor as I can't control my heartbeat. I feel my heartbeat and it is rummaging in my chest. I know for a fact that it is not because of my running but because of what happened.

 

I don't go out of my room to eat dinner saying to Taemin that I'm not hungry. I don't open my books to study. I just lie on my bed, trying and failing to sleep. But no matter how I try to sleep, I just can't. The moment earlier just keeps replaying on my head like a broken DVD.

 

Aaarrgghh! Please, thoughts. Go away. Let me sleep. My insomnia is not helping either.

 

For about 4 hours of flailing on my bed, trying every position possible just to be able to sleep, I finally give up. I am sitting up when my phone buzzes. A message. From him.

 

"You awake, Jinx?"

I don't know what to do. Shall I reply him? What should I say? Won't it be too awkward? Thinking of what to do, I didn't notice that a few minutes have gone by. I nearly jumps when my phone buzzes once again.

 

"I know you're not sleeping. I can't sleep either. Are you mad at me? Please reply Jinx. I don't know what else to think if you don't say anything. Please Jinx. Beep me back. It's cold out here."

 

Cold?

 

I replied then, "I can't sleep. I'm not mad. Just confused. Why are you cold? Where are you?"

I waited for a reply. After a while, he is calling me.

 

"H-hello?"

"Hey."

"Where are you? Why are you cold?"

I heard him chuckle.

"Jjong..."
"Sorry. It's just.. We're not even together and yet.. you're sounding like a.. worried girlfriend."

I blush again, silently thankful that he can't see me.

"Kim Jonghyun, I am not playing games with you. If there's nothing you want to say, I am going  to hang..."

"I'm sorry."

I grip my phone tighter. Waiting for him to speak again.

"I'm sorry if I made you confused. I'm sorry if I'm a little fast. But I'm not sorry I kissed you. I wanted it. So I'm not sorry."

 

I didn't say anything. It's because I couldn't say anything.

"Jinx. I know, this is so sudden for you. But I want you to know that I'm serious."

 

"Where are you?" I manage to ask.

"In a park near my house."

"Wait for me there."

 

 

Leaving the house, I didn't tell Taemin. I didn't want to wake him up. I sneak out and as I feel a cold breeze I realized that I forgot to take my coat but it would be very risky to return inside. I might wake Taemin. And so, I just jog over to Jonghyun's place without a coat.

 

Jonghyun is sitting on swing in the park when I arrive. When Jonghyun sees me, he immediately stands up using his clutches of course and his eyes went comically wide when he noticed. I jog towards him and when I am within his arm's reach, he immediately hugs me and tries to cover me with his own large coat.

 

"Are you crazy? Do you want to freeze to death? Why did you go out without wearing a single coat?!"

I am puffing cold breaths and I don't know what else to do to lessen the coldness I feel so I just hug Jonghyun and Jonghyun hugs me back tighter.

"Come on. Let's go inside our house."

Then he leads me to his house. When we enter, he immediately wraps me in his coat and gets me some new blanket. He makes me a warm chocalate and I cupped in my hands to feel the heat. Jonghyun rubs both my hands.

 

When I am feeling warm again, Jonghyun said, "Please don't do that ever again. You're gonna give me a heart attack back there."

"I'm sorry."

"Why did you do that? That was dangerous Jinki."

"I'm sorry. I just... want to.. see you fast. I think, no, I know I just really need to get to you fast."

He places his hand on mine.

"Jinx. I won't be going anywhere. I'm always here. And you could always catch up to me since the clutches are slowing me down."

I smiled at that. It's amazing how he can still manage to make me smile at a time like this.

"Don't go home. Stay for the night. The blizzard is getting stronger and I won't allow you to go in this weather condition."

 

 

I am sitting at his bed when I get the courage to start our 'unfinished talk'.

 

"Jonghyun-ah. About earlier..."

He sits beside me. Our legs bumping on each other. Then he holds my hand again. I look at him and he is looking at me straight in my eyes. Straight to my soul.

 

"I'm serious Jinki. I have never been so serious and sure in my whole life aside from basketball."

 

He continues.

"If you want to slow down, we will slow down. But I will not stop. I know this is weird and for the eyes of many, unacceptable. You know what, I don't care. I will only stop if you tell me to stop. But from the reaction I get from the kiss earlier, I feel that there is something there in your heart for me. I will wait no matter how long Jinki. I will wait until you accept me."

"I'm scared, Jonghyun."

"I'm not. I'll protect you if you'll let me."

 

What can I ask for? This man in front of me just literally opened his heart to me. And who am I? I am just Lee Jinki who is madly in love with this person. Gosh. How could I realize this now? I am in love with Kim Jonghyun.

 

"I want to try then, Jonghyun. I promise I won't be a scared little rabbit. But I want to try it."

I saw Jonghyun makes a proud smile. Loving eyes.

"So then, Lee Jinki. Will you be my boyfriend?"

"Yes."

 

He then leans in and kiss me and I kiss him back.

 

That night, we sleep holding each other. Smile evident on our faces.

I can not ask for more. Jonghyun is enough.