Nine

Senior Year

The practice went on as usual. The only difference is that there are two people watching from the sideline.

One is Jonghyun, clutches under him, who keeps cheering the team. Despite looking extremely in pain and tired, he continuous to do what a vice captain should. And I truly admire and respect him for that.

The other person beside Jonghyun is Kibum. I can actually tell that he is getting annoyed at Jonghyun because he is shouting when he is sitting right beside Kibum. However, I could also see how Kibum changes his annoyed expression for Jonghyun to adoration or rather, admiration for Minho whenever he would lead the team.

I chuckle to myself. Kibum and I have been friends for who knows how long. It is very easy to read him. He is as clear as a transparent glass to me. Yes, he is transparent because I could easily tell what's on his mind. He is also like a glass that looks strong and tough in the outside but it drops, it breaks because it's fragile.

Same with Kibum. I saw him break down a number of times before because of failed relationship. He would come to me after a breakup sometimes at an ungodly time of the night asking why did his ex cheated on him. Or if there is still lacking in any way. Or if he is not attractive enough that makes his ex looks for a new one. He makes me want to protect him as much as Taemin. Taemin would even describe us as 'inseparable mirror'. Sure, Kibum and I are inseparable and I agree but when he says we are like mirror of each other, I don't think so.

Kibum and I are really opposite.

I'm shy. He's not.

He's so attractive. I'm not.

He's just everything..

 

I'm nothing.

Plus.. I haven't had any relationship.

 

At least. Not yet.

 

 

After the game, the players including Jonghyun offered to help me clean up but I rejected.

"No, it's okay. I don't want to burden anyone."

"Hyung, you're not a burden at all," Mir said.

"But, I'm really okay. This is my job so please let me do it."

"But hyung.." Taemin started but I cut him. "I am not going to argue with you because of this."

"You guys go. I'll stay with Jinki," Jonghyun said.

"Look. A player's responsability is to take very good care of his body. To always be in his best body condition. The day of the  tournament is approaching. We can't afford any other injury. As a manager, I cannot allow that." 

As I speak, I purposely look at Jonghyun and Minho to relay my point. I know Minho and I hope Jonghyun, as the team leaders would understand me. And based on the player's appearances right now and the intense training earlier, I am certain that their bodies are sore and they are all tired.

 

"Jinki-hyung is right. We should go home now so we could rest our body early. The tournament is just around the corner. We can't allow to slack off," Minho said.

"That's right. That's right. That's why I am staying with Jinki-hyung," Jonghyun said which earned him glares from his teammates. I bowed down my head as an attempt to hide my blush. Again. Gosh. Why do I always blush if it's about him?

 

"What?" Jonghyun asks.

 

"You! are the one who needs more rest. You're ging home too!"

"No way we're going to allow you to stay!"

"Look. You're noona is here."

 

Jonghyun wasn't able to do anything when the others drag him out of the gym.

 

"Wait. Wait. Listen to me. I'm your vice-captain."

"Come on Jonghyun-hyung."

 

Joon ruffles my hair on his way out. He looks tired so in an attempt to make him feel good, I called out and said,

"Good job today, Joonie-hyung!"

 

He stops in his tracks then looks back at me smiling. But I noticed his smile didn't reach his eyes.

"Joonie-hyung? I like that." Then he turned to leave again.

Without looking back, he said "Goodbye Onew."

 

 

 

Onew?

 

 

 

Back at the house, Taemin is waiting for me at the doorstep..

"Hyung!"

"Minnie! Why are still outside?"

He pouted. "Because you didn't allow me to help earlier."

"Aish. This kid. Did I make you worry again? Kibum-hyung helped me a lot so I was able to finish faster. Come on, let's get inside first then eat, okay?"

 

 

I am in my room when Jonghyun texted me that night. I can't help but smile.

"Hiiiiiiii......... Are you home???"

I didn't reply to his message. I just continue studying.

 

Then my phone buzzed again. Jonghyun.

"You sleep?"

I bit my lower lip to stop myself from giggling. And once again, I didn't reply. He should be sleeping now. I looked at the clock. It's 2AM!

 

But then, he texted me again.

"Guess you're sleeping. But...... Kibum said you usually sleep at 3AM because of your insomnia. Just checking."

I picked up my phone and replied, "I'm not sleeping."

Seconds later, he replies.

"What are you doing?"

"Studying."

"Oh. Am I interrupting?"

"No."

 

After thet, he didn't reply. I think he fel asleep. I'm a bit disappointed.

 

At 3AM, I feel sleep is inviting me. Right after I lay down on my bed, my phone buzzes. It's from Jonghyun.

"Want some music?" I don't understand what he's trying to say but before I could even send a message I got shocked when Jonghyun's name appear on the screen. And a very loud incoming call trot music blared in my room. He is calling me.

At this hour!

 

Still lying down and though confused, I answer the call hoping Taemin didn't wake up. "H-hello?"

"Hey~ Want some music?"

"H-huh? What.."

"Nevermind. Listen, okay? And I apologize for my English pronunciation but I'm practicing so here goes."

 

I could hear some background music playing. Then Jonghyun singing an Englisg song called Because of You.

His voice is heavenly. It is just so great and and it has quality and depthness in it.

 

He's good.

Scratch that.

His voice. Is. Simply. Amazing.

 

 

At the middle of the song, my eyes begin to grow weary and heavy. Slowly, I close my eyes. Still listening and feeling every word and note of the song. Toward the end of the song, I don't have the strength to open my eyes. The song.. no, his voice has lull me to sleep. After he sings, there is a long silence at the other end of the line. After a little while he said in his deep voice,

"Goodnight, Jinx."