One

Senior Year

I am Lee Jinki. 3rd year highschool student at SW University. Consistent A student. Candidate for class valedictorian. I have a younger brother named Lee Taemin. Starting today, he will be a student in my university as a freshmen.

 

Our parents are in the US. They sent us back to Korea to study and to get away from the bullies there. Taemin was still very young at that time and in order to protect him and me, my parents decided to send us back. And so, from then on, I am the only one taking care of Taemin.

 

And today, he will be entering my university. As an older brother, I am quite proud because he got accepted in one of the prestigious highschool. He works really hard and has so many talents. Unlike me. I only know how to get good grades. I am not talented at all. In fact, I am bit shy and I am not sociable. That's why I do not join any extra-curricular activities.

 

 

Nevertheless, Taemin and I are very close. Even though I am proud, I can't stop myself from feeling a bit sad. My baby brother is growing up and time will come when he won't be needing me anymore because he can stand on his own and is independent.

 

 

Anyways, I am done cooking pancakes for breakfast. Taemin is still in his room but I'm sure he will be coming down any second now since pancakes are his favorite.

 

 

"Hyung! Good morning!"

"Hm. Morning! Come, let's eat so we can go. You don't want to be late on your first day."

"Oh."

 

After eating ang getting our things, I drive us to school. I have my own car and I'm using it to fetch Taemin from is old school. Starting today, we would be going to school together.

 

 

"Hyung, I am so excited but I'm nervous."

"You'll be alright Taem."

"Hm. But hyung, what if the teacher would compare us? You know, I am not really good in my studies. What if they would expect me to be like you?"

"Don't worry, Taem. The professors at SW are fair. They treat every student same and with respect."

"Hm. Okay. If you say so."

 

We reached the campus and I park the car.

 

"Do you want me to accompany you to your class?"

"No, hyung. I think I can manage. And besides, you should be going to your own class now, too."

"Okay. Do your best. Fighting!"

"Ne, hyung. Gomawo."

 

 

And so, Taemin goes to his class which I believe is Class 1B and I go to mine. I'm in Class 3A. When I arrive at the room, everyone is almost here. I sat beside Kibum. By the way, Kim Kibum is my bestfriend and my only friend. He is very intelligent and honest and good looking. Many people wants to be his friend.

 

Kibum smiles at me as I sit beside him.

"Morning, Jinx."

"Good morning."

"So it's Taemin's first day, huh?"

"Yes."

"Is he nervous?"

"A little bit but he's also excited."

"That's good."

 

After that, Kibum and I just talk about random things until our professor comes.

 

The day passes as soon as it comes. So I realized we are on our last class for the day. However, before the class ends, our professor told me to go to the Faculty Room because the Head Teacher is calling for me and so here I am. I go inside and see a professor.

 

"Um. Good afternoon, Sir."

"Yes. How may I help you?"

"Our professor told me that Head Teacher is um.. looking for me."

"Oh. Are you Lee Jinki?"

"Yes, Sir."

"The Head Teacher is waiting for you in his office."

 

 

At the Head Teacher's office,

I am quite shocked of what I just heard.

"Um.. Sir, could you please repeat?"

"I said in order to be your class valedictorian, you have to be active in extra-curricular activities. You are a straight A student. However, you lack in your non-curricular activities. You do not engage in any clubs of the school, be it an educational club or a physical club. And so we, the Board of Council, decided to appoint you as the manager of the men's basketball team."

"But Sir, uhm, could I at least choose a club for myself? I promise I will engage in non-curricular activity this year but I don't think I could be accepted in the men's basketball club. I don't have the stamina or the strength to be their manager. I really can't join the men's basketball club."

"That's even better Jinki. Take it as a challenge and prove to us that you are suitable for the title of class valedictorian of SW university. You know we only choose a class valedictorian who is worthy of the title."

"But!"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Lee. We won't be accepting any complaints from you. After all, the coach of men's basketball club has accepted you as the team's manager. You can't refuse or else you'll be removed from the list of candidates for class valedictorian."

"But, Sir..."

"Alright, we'll give you time to prepare yourself, then. How about if you start your manager duties next week?"

"But, that's not the problem, Sir.."

"Mr. Lee, it is very easy for us to remove your name."

"N-no, Sir! Please!"

"Then you will be the manager of the men's basketball team starting next week until the end of the year. It's final. You may leave now.

"O-okay. S-sir."

 

_____