Six

Senior Year

I sigh as I put down the food tray on the cafeteria's table. Kibum is looking intently at me. 

 

"Where were you?"

He asks me. I can see that he is controlling his anger towards me.

 

"Taemin told me that you skipped dinner, skipped breakfast and went to school very early.... but you skipped the morning classes. So.... Tell me.. Lee Jinki. Where the hell were you?"

 

Kibum's voice is low but he is definitely mad at me. He is gritting his teeth and every word he uttered has stress in it.

 

And a mad Kibum is the scariest of all the scariest horror movies a movie producer can create.

I gulp before I answer.

 

"I fell asleep. Sorry..."

 

"So, you just accidently fell asleep, hey. Where then? Who's with you? And whose headphones are those???"

 

I gasp. Oh no!  I just realized that I still have Jonghyun's headphone around my neck.

 

I open my mouth to answer but is cut when two people sit beside me.

 

"Hey. Jinki, mind if we sit here?" Joon said.

 

You're my hero, Joon!! Thank you!

"Hi, Jinki's friend! You don't mind right? I am Yonghwa, by the way. He's Joon. We're both members of basketball team."

"Hi." Joon said. 

Kibum just nod and he looks at me like saying  we-are-nor-so-done-yet-Jinki.

 

"Hey, look Joon. This headphones look so much like Jonghyun's."

I stiffened on my seat.

Key and Joon both look at me.

"Jonghyun?" Kibum asks.

Oh no!

"What? No. It's not Jonghyun's. It's mine. Don't you remember? I let him borrow it yesterday." Joon said.

"Huh? Whe..." Yonghwa said but is cut when Joon looks at him as if saying Shut-up-Don't-say-another-word-or-you're-dead.

"A-aahh. Y-yeah. I remember now." Yonghwa just said.

"Hmp. Whatever." Kibum said.

 

I look at Joon to express my gratitude because he just managed to save me from Kibum's wrath even if it's temporary.

He just secretly winked at me.

 

So, Joon and Yonghwa just continue talking while eating. Kibum just silently eat. But if Joon or Yonghwa asks him a question, he is respectfully responding, which is a relief. I just eat cautiously, thankful for the temporary escape from Kibum.

 

When we are finished eating, they offer to walk us back to our room. The two just won't stop talking and joking around. I can see Kibum enjoying their company. He starts to joke and laugh with them, too. I'm glad.

 

 

"Hey!! Wait up!!!" We all turn around and see Minho practically running towards us.

"Hey, Minho. It's rare to see you during lunch break."

"Hehe~ You'll see me more often now~ Hi Jinki-hyung~~ Oh! Who's he?"

"He's Kibum. Jinki's friend." Joon answered.

"Oh. I see. Hi Kibum-hyung. I'm Minho. Choi Minho. I'm the captain of the basketball team. Nice to meet you."

"Thank you. Same here. I'm Kibum."

 

So we walk towards our classroom. Minho easily joined the conversation and I'm really glad Kibum likes them.

 

When we arrive at the room, Joon gets Jonghyun's headphone from me then Joon and  Yonghwa said their goodbyes and see you laters and leave.

 

But then Minho said, "Kibum-hyung, it's really nice to meet you. And since Jinki-hyung is your friend and our team's manager, uhm... it would be good if you could watch our practice someday."

What really surprised me was when Kibum answered.

"Sure. I'll watch later."

"Really?! That's cool. See you later then." Minho said.

"Yup. Later."

"Bye, Jinki-hyung, Kibum-hyung. See you later!"

 

He gives Kibum one more look before running towards Joon and Yonghwa to catch up with them.

I glance at Kibum and it made me smile to see him smiling.

However, my smile fades when he said, "We're still not done Jinki." without looking at me and turned to enter the room when the bell rings. I sigh as I take my seat.

 

 

When the classes were over, I received a text from Taemin.

"Hyungiee.. Can we meet before practice??? ;; "

"Sure, baby. I'll change at the parking lot's comfort room."

 

And so, Kibum and I go to the comfort room in order for me to change into my jogging pants and plain shirt.

When we arrive, Taemin is there with a very worried expression. When he sees me, he immediately runs and hugs me.

"Hyung! How are you?? Where did you go?? Are you okay?? Whose with you?? Did you eat???"

Taemin bombarded me with question so I feel a little guilty.

"I'm so sorry to make you worry, Tae-baby. I just accidentally fell asleep so I was not able to my morning classes. But I ate so you don't need to worry anymore."

"I was worried sick! I was not able to listen to my classses earlier."

"Hyung is really really sorry baby."

"Don't do that ever again hyung. Huh?"

"I promise not to make you worry again."

He makes a small smile. "Good."

I chuckle. "Come on, let's go change. You don't want to be late in practice."

"Okay, hyung! Ohh! Kibum-hyung! You'll go with us?"

"Yes, I will. I want to watch you play."

"Haha! You'll be amazed~"

"Hahaha! We'll see about that kid."

 

 

 

 

When we arrive at the gym, Kibum sits on the bench, Taemin starts warming up and I also start to do my tasks.

 

First, I help Seungri stretch his back by pushing forward down. Then, I help Minhwan relax his foot when he is having a mid cramps. Next, I showed Minhyuk his time record and stats last night because he requested it. After that, I realized that I have helped all the players in little ways and have checked their physical conditions.

 

And yes, by all players, I mean, all players, including Jonghyun. But neither of us open the topic about earlier.

 

He jokes and laughs a bit with me which made my heart beats crazily fast again and which made me extremely happy that I wished the moment would last longer. But after a little while, he gets up to warming up and I go back to my tasks. But then when I look at Kibum, I saw him smile at me. After that, I avoided his gaze as much as I can.

 

"Alright! Team! Assemble!!!" Coach Minwoo called the team. The players assemble in front of the Coach, all panting and sweating so much for the warm up. I stand behind the coach. The Coach puts his hands on his waist.

"Okay! You all look determined and focus tonight. That's good because we'll be a practice game tonight. Now, Jinki, kindly prepare 12 pieces of paper. Six papers will have the number 1 written on it while the other six would be number 2. We're drawing lots on who's gonna be teammates. While Jinki is preparing the papers, I'm going to announce some final reminders for the game."

So while I'm preparing the papers, the Coach is explaining the final instructions of the game to the players.

"Remember that this is just a practice game. We will not be doing this for you to boast your abilities and potentials. This is a way to know your teammates strengths and weaknesses, as well as your own strengths and shortcomings. This practice game aims to improve your camaraderie and teamwork. I expect sportmanship before, during and after the game. Be your coach. We won't coach you for tonight. I will just watch and monitor and the other coaching staff will be your referee. Plan out your moves. And I expect a good game for both teams. Now! To know your teammates. Please Jinki, let them pick a number."

The players each pick a number in the small box I held.

 

"Okay. Good. You all have picked a number. Those persons who picked number 1, go to my left and those persons who picked number 2, stay on my right," the Coach instructs.

The players did as they were told. Minho, Joon, Seungri, Jaejin, Mir and Minhyuk are on same team while Taemin, Jonghyun, Yonghwa, Minhwan, Jungshin and Daesung are on the other team.

"Heh? This is gonna be fun." I hear the Coach whisper.

 

"Okay! Teams! I will be giving you 5 more minutes to strategize. Decide on who's going to be in your starting lineup and who'll guard who. Good luck and may the best team win."

 

After that, I help in the 5 minute court preparation of the coaching staff. I set the game and the possession clock. I also  prepare the record book and official ball that will be used in the game.

 

The players are having a short 5 minute meeting and they are quite serious. I'm amazed on how these players appear so jolly outside the court but when they are inside the court, they transform into an athlete-like persons.

 

Coach Minwoo blows his whistle as the signal of the start of the game. The players take their position. I sit on the chair next to Kibum, with record book on my hands.

 

I notices that I'm sweating. Is it the anticipation and excitement for the game? Or is it a certain player whose boldness and confidence are radiating and oozing from the court? I just can't stop looking at him. My eyes just automatically follow is every move.

 

Another whistle makes me return my focus on the game as the ball was thrown up in the air for the jumpball. Minho and Jungshin jump for it but in the end gets it.

I try to focus my attention on the game and not just to a certain player. The first and second quarter have been tough for both teams. Neither is giving an opportunity to the opponent to strike. So, in the end of the 1st half, the score is tied down to 24 points.

 

As the players take the halftime break, I give them towels and glass of water. They are all looking tired but each one of them wants to win. I look at Taemin and I barely recognized the baby I always pampered and take care of. He has the determined eyes to win. He is very focus in the ballgame and  has the desire to win against the other team. 

 

Minho and Jonghyun instructs their team on the strategy that they will use in the second half.

 

Third quarter starts. Minho's team got the lead. Therefore, Jonghyun's team are doubling their efforts to score and defend. Mostly, it is Jonghyun who is making the play since he is the point guard. He often passes the ball to Taemin and Minhwan. I can see that he is really tired because he mostly is the one working to get the ball from Minho's team.

So when Jonghyun dived the ball going out of bounce to save their possession and passes it to Minhwan who made a three point shot to tie the game was amazing. However, Jonghyun twists his ankle in the process. He was not able to stand up on his own and is limping. He was substituted by Daesung and I help him walk to the bench and apply painspray to his ankle. I just have the feeling that he wouldn't be able to play for the rest of the game. At the end of the third quarter, Minho's team is leading with two points advantage. 

 

At the fourth quarter, I can see how Taemin and the remaining members of Jonghyun's team struggle. I can also see Jonghyun gritting his teeth because he wants to help his teammates. Last two minutes remaining and Minho's team is still leading with 5 points. Taemin shouted to his teammates "Guys!! Last two minutes remaining! We can do this! No giving up! Give the best you have!" 

 

Last 30 seconds on the fourth quarter, Minho's team is leading for only 1 point. I felt Jonghyun's hands over my own hands.

"Jinki, help me up." I help him and we walk toward the Coach's table.

"Coach. Timeout." Jonghyun said. The Coach blows his whistle and Jonghyun and I walk towards his own members.

 

"Okay. Team, last 15 seconds remaining. They only have a 1-point advantage. We have the possession. I want you to hold the ball until the last 5 seconds. Don't let them get the ball or it'll be the end. Taemin. I want you to take the last shot. Assist him and teamwork. Okay? I know, you can do it Taemin. Just trust yourself."

"Yes, hyung."

 

The Coach blows his whistle again and the players enter the court. I help Jonghyun sit while both of us are anticipating on what's going to happen. Jonghyun's team did exactly what Jonghyun instructed them and Taemin has the ball. However, he is being guarded by Minho. Taemin did a crossover then shoots the ball. Minho tries to block him.

 

The ball is up in the air. The last shot had been done. Hearts beating fast. Time standing still.

 

However, Taemin missed.

 

Shouts of celebration could be heard from Minho's team as they hug each other. Taemin remains on his spot and isn't moving with his head down. His shoulders are shaking. He is crying.

 

Jonghyun tries to stand on his own. I catch him for he still can't stand alone. But then, he claps his hands. He is looking at Taemin. The court became silent. Only Jonghyun's claps could be heard. But soon, all the other players followed Jonghyun's lead. They clap their hands as well and recognized Taemin's effort.

 

"Hey, Taemin! GOOD GAME!!! You're really good."

"Nice game Taem!"

"You are very good Taemin!"

"Glad to have you on our team!"

"Let's play together again!"

 

Soon after that, all the players are around Taemin and patting his back, ruffling his hair and saying good comments about his performance.

 

"Don't cry. You did your best. I just luckily blocked your shot. See, it hit my nail. You did really good Taemin. I am glad you joined the basketball team. We're really lucky to have you. We'll improve together everyday okay?" Minho said.

 

I smiled. I am extremely happy for Taemin. I am proud that my baby brother is very hardworking. He deserves all the love that he is being given now. I just hope my parents were here to see Taemin, to see him smile, laugh and grow.

 

I hear Jonghyun said, "Thank you Jinki."

 

I smiled to him and said, "No. Thank you, Jonghyun."