Four

Senior Year

I also start to prepare. With the record book in my hand and a whistle around my neck, I go to the sideline to watch the players. Some of them are stretching, the others are jogging in place. Taemin's right. They all look super cool. I'm amazed on how built their bodies are, especially the Captain and the Vice-Captain. Minho-sshi is all cool but something drives me to look more towards the Vice-Captain. Jonghyun is surely handsome. He is oozing with confidence and brightness. Those broad muscles and strong legs. He is one hell of a beautiful man. And God, those cute puppy eyes.


The team did passing practice and shooting practice. The coach is teaching them how to move on the court while I record their stats and time. I also give them water when they go to the bench. And try to talk to them if they are feeling okay. Many of them smiled and thank me. Others patted my head. Well, all of the players have talked to me except for the Captain and Vice-Captain.

 

Joon has gone to the bench more than three times. I noticed that the players would often go the bench even if they have just been on the bench. They sometimes ask for water or a towel or just tie their laces. I think the coach notices it too because he has a disapproving look when Joon and Yonghwa simultaneously go to the bench. So I was not surprised when the coach blows his whistle when Mir and Minhwan go to the bench once again.

 

 

"Yah! Are you THAT tired or something? Haven't got any energy left? We just freaking started half an hour ago!"

 

And so, the players are silent.

 

"Okay. I know Jinki is cute and you want to be friends but focus for now okay? Let's begin properly."

 

Oh my God. Why am I blushing at that? The coach is embarassing. And I see Taemin trying to hide a smirk. Great. He'll tease me all night.

 

Anyways, the players have become serious. No one has come to the bench and they are all sweating a lot. I look at them and I can see happiness radiating in their eyes.

 

The coach seems pleased and satisfied. So by 9 pm, the coach blows his whistle as the signal of the end of today's practice. The players start to walk towards the bench. I hand each of them a towel and a glass of water. Some of them are sprawled out in floor while Taemin is helping me on the glasses of water. I get his towel and dried his sweaty arms.

 

 

"WAH! Unfair!" Joon whines. "Me too. Me too."

 

Then he puts his towel on my hands and so I also wipe his sweat. But then the coach smacked him on his head and throw his towel to his face.

 

"Yah! Jinki is your manager, not a nanny. Get your act together. Seriously, I'm beginning to regret my decision to accept him as manager."

 

And there was disagreeing murmur among the players.

 

"I know. I know." The coach simply said and left.

 

Joon put an arm around my shoulder.

 

"Hey, buddy. You're senior too, just like me, we're of the same age so ler's be friends."

 

He said and then smiled at me. But then, Yonghwa removed his arm on my shoulder.

 

"Don't believe Lee Joon, Jinki-yah. He's older than us by a year. But we do want to be friends, so don't be shy around us okay?"

 

Then he smiled at me too then left with Joon but not before pinching my cheeks and Joon ruffling my hair.

I hear a chuckle beside me and see Minho.

 

"Hi hyung! Let me introduce myself personally. I am Choi Minho. Just call me Minho. The hyungs are playful but they are really good people. When the coach announced I'm going to be team captain, they accepted it and they helped me a lot. So if they said they want to be friends, they really want to be friends. We all want to be your friend."

 

Aww, They're so sweet. Well, being a manager of the team is not bad at all.

 

"Thank you very much." I bow to show my gratitude.

"Hyung! Don't be so formal."

 

"Haha! Because you look older than him."

"Shut up! You look like a dinosaur then."

"And you're a frog."

"Dwarf."

"Alien."

"Minho-hyung! Jonghyun-hyung! You're both like child. Stop bickering for once."

 

Minhwan reprimanded them. Hahaha. They're all funny.

 

"Alright." Minho said then ruffled his brother's hair. And turned to leave to get the cleaning supplies.

The others have left so only me, Taemin, Minho, Minhwan and Jonghyun are left because they are helping me wipe the floor. Then arrange the equipment. When we're done, we are completely exhausted so we rest a bit before going home. Minho and Minhwan leave earlier so only me, Jonghyun and Taemin are left.

 

 

Taemin is using the car but I can't go with him because of my favor. So Jonghyun decides to drop me by the school gate. While walking with him, we made occasional conversation. He is a light conversionalist and I don't feel awkward even though we just met. Taemin passes by us.

 

"Jonghyun-hyung, Jinki-hyung. I can drop you to your house. Hop in!"

"No Taemin. My house is near so I can just walk. Take Jinki instead. Your way is on his way right?"

"Ah yes."

"So go with Taemin." Then he places his hand on my lower back and pushes me into the car. Well, he drags me when I didn't move.

 

"Bye." He said then turn to leave.

 

Before I could open the passenger's door, Jonghyun turns again.

"Jinki-hyung."

I turn to look at him.

 

"Welcome to the basketball team."

And he smiled at me. Oh my God. Why is my heart beating so fast?

"See you tomorrow!"

 

And then he runs.

I can't breathe. Why am I feeling this way? What is this feeling?

 

The broad shoulders, the strong legs, those eyes and my God, THAT smile. Jonghyun.

 

I put my hand on my chest. It won't stop. It's beating so fast. What is this? I'm so confused but I like it. And I want to accept it.