Sixteen

Senior Year

I wake up the next day feeling sore all over my body. I feel as if there is something obstructing my throat.

I get up to prepare even though I don't feel like getting up. Remembering what happened  yesterday, I pick up my phone and composes a message to Jonghyun. "Morning. Sorry to miss lots of calls. See you later?" I send it hoping to get any response from him.

I take some meds first before going to school. I just hope the medicine does his job well.

 

When I arrive at the room, Kibum is waiting for me with worried eyes. He waits for me to sit.

"How are you?"

"I'm fine."

"Did you sleep well?"

"Hm." I said without looking at Kibum. 

"Don't lie to me, Jinx." I just ignore him and get my book and began reading to dismiss the conversation. Luckily, the bell rings as the signal of first period and Kibum sits back to his chair.

Before the first period ends, my head is swinging so I massage my temples. Kibum sees this. "You okay, Jinx?"

I nod and tries to smile. "Head to the front!" Mr. Kang said and both of our heads snap to the front.

"It seems Kim Kibum and Lee Jinki are not paying attention to my lectures. So, I will let the two of them answer the next two questions here in front. Could you please show your solution to the 18th question on the book, Mr. Kim? Here in front, please."

Then Prof. Kang goes to sit beside me on Kibum's chair while Kibum is answering a quite complicated problem. I could hear my classmates murmur but I could not totally register it on my head because my head is really hurting right now. 

"Are you feeling okay, Mr. Lee? Your face is red." Prof. Kang asks me loudly to let everyone hear it. Kibum stops writing and turns around to look at me. Oh no. My head is really spinning now. "You should have think first before not listening when I am talking if you're that scared" then the class bursts into laughter. "Are you done, Mr. Kim?" Kibum looks at me worried before continuing. After a while, he finished solving.

"I'm glad you got it right. Now, Mr. Lee, please answer the next question." With so much difficulty, I stand and walk to the front with my book on my hand. My head is spinning and hurting like crazy and there is no other thing I want to do right now than to just sleep. I start solving the problem which makes my head hurt more and feel as if I'm getting weaker too. Slowly, I solve the problem. When I'm done, I turn around and face Prof. Kang.

Prof. Kang stands and said "Alright, so you both get the correct answer. So what's my point here?" Prof. Kang jokes and the class laughs and claps and cheers for both Kibum and me for getting the correct answer. All these clapping made me dizzy. I try to feel my head but I can only feel my body falling. The last things I hear are loud gasps of my classmates and Kibum shouting my name as I hit the floor and lose consciousness. 

 

 

 

 

The first thing I feel is the soft thing I am laying on. The first thing I smell is the nice smell of white flower. 

I slowly open my eyes and the first thing I see is a light green ceiling. I feel my forehead. It's still hot but at least the headache is now tolerable. I realize that I am in the infirmary.

I clear my throat. It's still sore. My whole body still hurt. I try to get up but failed. After another try, I give up. I'm still too weak.

I turn my head and see that there is glass of water on the sidetable with a pink sticky note. Even without seeing the handwriting, there is only one person I know who has that kind of sticky note. I chuckle. 

"YAH! LEE JINKI! DO YOU KNOW HOW WORRIED I AM? You should have just rest at home if you're not feeling well! You should have just tell me! When you wake up, you better go home. You cannot attend the lectures feeling like that. It will only worsen your condition. When you get home, text me then sleep!"

Haha. I cannot help but laugh at Kibum's cuteness. Even though I feel a little guilty for making him worry, I still can't go home just yet. I need to see Jonghyun. After that, I can go home. It's almost lunch anyway.

I check my phone and see that there is message from Jonghyun.

"I don't think we can do that, Jinki."

I replied. "Why not?"

After two minutes, my phone vibrates. I read the message.

"Jinki. Let's break up."

 

What? Did I read it wrongly? But no. I read it again. And again. And again.

Until it hit me. 

He's breaking up with me? Why? What did I do? Why is this happening? Why?

Tears roll down my cheeks as I shakily call Jonghyun's number. I just need to talk to him. I just want to know why. We were fine just yesterday right. So why? I just really can't explain. I... I.. 

"Hyung!" I hear Taemin's voice. I lift my hand to my eyes to try to hide my face. But I could still feel my hands shake. Taemin stops my hand from covering my face.

"Why are you crying? What happened?" I shake my head unable to say anything. My whole body is shaking with my crying.

Taemin lifts me up and envelops me in a very tight hug. I hug him just as tight, hide my face against his chest. His uniform is getting wet by my tears but he still holds me as if I'm very fragile. I clasp him so hard because I feel as if I am drowning. We stay like that for several minutes. He didn't say anything. Not any question, nor any consolation. The only thing that could be heard in the room is my loud sniff against Taemin's chest. 

I slowly straighten up when I finally calm myself. I desperately try to escape Taemin's eyes as much as possible.

He just cups my face and wipes my wet tears away using his thumb. 

"I hate to see you like this." Taemin merely said but it's enough to form fresh tears from my eyes. Taemin keeps on wiping them out and not allowing them to wet my face. When I finally really calm down, Taemin asks me "Who's the jerk that made you like this when you're sick?" I just keep on shaking my head. If Taemin knows, I am hell sure he'll quit the basketball club but not before killing Jonghyun. But all of it were in vain when Taemin snatch my phone and read the message. His hold on my phone tightens.

"Taem-baby.. Please." I hold Taemin's hand. "Let hyungie handle this first okay? I promise hyungie will not cry anymore. We'll just talk and I'm sure everything will be alright. Hm?" He just nods.

He helps me up and together we went to the cafeteria where everyone is. However when I spotted Jonghyun on our table, cold water pours down on me when I see him kissing a girl. I feel like as if time stops around me. I can only see register two things: Jonghyun is kissing a person and that person is not me.

I return to the reality when Taemin's fist hits Jonghyun's jaw. I stare with disbelief. I am confused of what I should do. Should I stop Taemin who is punching Jonghyun repeatedly despite the efforts of other players to separate him from Jonghyun? Or should I join him and hurt Jonghyun too? Or should I do that to the girl instead? In the end, I did the most meaningful thing. With all my strength despite still being weak, I manage to stop Taemin from landing another punch on Jonghyun's face by hugging him from the back. 

Jonghyun's head is lowered while Taemin is shouting "How dare you, you f...ng jerk!! How dare you make MY hyung cry like that?! Who do you think you are?!!"

"Taemin, that's enough!" Minho shouted back. 

"What! You're breaking up with him over the phone for this... this useless.. Ha!! After everything Hyung did for you! You are a useless cheating bastard who don't deserve Jinki hyung!"

"Taemin, this is all a misunderstanding!" Minho still continues to explain Jonghyun but Taemin wouldn't have any of it. Neither is Kibum.

"You shut up, Choi Minho." Kibum said.

"I am a stupid f....ng moron for believing you won't hurt him!"

"Taeminnie.. please." I beg Taemin to stop. "Bummie, I want to go home."

And so we left the cafeteria to head home. All three of us. 

He didn't even spare me a single glance. I guess, he is just.. done with me.